New AAC TV Contract Done

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am What ever happened to the idea of Amazon or Netflix creating a college sports channel and competing against ESPN for the AAC television deal? I was really hoping that was going to happen and drive up the AAC’s value especially since most of the P5 television contracts are locked in for another five years. I thought the AAC would be featured on a college sports station on Hulu, Sling TV, etc. that would be owned by an Amazon or Netflix in addition to accessing the streaming content on their own sites.
They never got to negotiate with the AAC. ESPN locked in the deal before the conference was allowed to seek other bids.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:14 am
Sunamiwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 am What ever happened to the idea of Amazon or Netflix creating a college sports channel and competing against ESPN for the AAC television deal? I was really hoping that was going to happen and drive up the AAC’s value especially since most of the P5 television contracts are locked in for another five years. I thought the AAC would be featured on a college sports station on Hulu, Sling TV, etc. that would be owned by an Amazon or Netflix in addition to accessing the streaming content on their own sites.
They never got to negotiate with the AAC. ESPN locked in the deal before the conference was allowed to seek other bids.
Wrong . The AAC LOCKED OTHER POTENTIAL PARTNERS OUT BY STUPIDLY ACCEPTING THE ESPN OFFER without sitting down with other outlets .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am
WRONG . They never got to negotiate with the AAC. ESPN locked in the deal before the conference was allowed to seek other bids. It was CONTRACT LAW 101 .AAC HATING ESPN OFFERED , AAC ACCEPTED . WITHOUT ENTERTAINING OTHER OFFERS .
Wrong . The AAC LOCKED OTHER POTENTIAL PARTNERS OUT BY STUPIDLY ACCEPTING THE ESPN OFFER without sitting down with other outlets .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am
Comprehension! That's EXACTLY the point I made!

Reading is fundamental!
Show Me
Tsunami

Terrible deal. Absolutely terrible. ESPN dumps the “mid-majors” on their ESPN+ platform where fans are forced to pay-up to watch. Now we are locked into getting less exposure then before. If Cincy, Houston, or UCF leave this deal will be re-negotiated down. Not including the Grant Rights was a huge mistake and gives those 3 schools an advantage at the expense of the rest of the league should they leave. Aresco should have held out for more suitors he got schooled and went for the quick buck at the expense of a better deal waiting. .
anEngineer
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am Terrible deal. Absolutely terrible. ESPN dumps the “mid-majors” on their ESPN+ platform where fans are forced to pay-up to watch. Now we are locked into getting less exposure then before. If Cincy, Houston, or UCF leave this deal will be re-negotiated down. Not including the Grant Rights was a huge mistake and gives those 3 schools an advantage at the expense of the rest of the league should they leave. Aresco should have held out for more suitors he got schooled and went for the quick buck at the expense of a better deal waiting. .
Is there anything Tulane was ever involved in that you supported? You disappeared for a couple of weeks after the Cure Bowl win. Can't you just go find a program somewhere that you like?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Do you truly believed an experienced and respected former TV executive with a multi million dollar salary and a vested interest in extracting the most TV $$ for his conference was unaware of the dollar range and willingness of these alternative distribution platforms to negotiate ? This is reminiscent of casual football fans screaming advice at their teams professional coach.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Show Me wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 am Terrible deal. Absolutely terrible. ESPN dumps the “mid-majors” on their ESPN+ platform where fans are forced to pay-up to watch. Now we are locked into getting less exposure then before. If Cincy, Houston, or UCF leave this deal will be re-negotiated down. Not including the Grant Rights was a huge mistake and gives those 3 schools an advantage at the expense of the rest of the league should they leave. Aresco should have held out for more suitors he got schooled and went for the quick buck at the expense of a better deal waiting. .
It does seem that way. However, at the same time, would there really be that many other suitors? Netflix has consistently shot down live sports, so that would leave ESPN (SEC), CBS (B1G), Fox Sports Regional Channels, and (possibly) Twitter. ESPN probably told the AAC that its offer would decrease if the AAC tested the open market, and, if so, that would have influenced decision making here.

Nevertheless, less than $7M per team wasn't that great. Maybe the AAC can leverage that to poach Boise State and SDSU? That would mitigate the financial impact of the conference potentially losing 1-2 programs.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Furthermore this doesn’t include what will be received from CBS for some of our basketball rights. This will push us past $7m and closer to or exceeding $8m.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I wonder if this windfall affected the financial decision to fire Coach Dunleavy and absorb several million dollars of his remaining contract.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am
It does seem that way. However, at the same time, would there really be that many other suitors? Netflix has consistently shot down live sports, so that would leave ESPN (SEC), CBS (B1G), Fox Sports Regional Channels, and (possibly) Twitter. ESPN probably told the AAC that its offer would decrease if the AAC tested the open market, and, if so, that would have influenced decision making here.

Nevertheless, less than $7M per team wasn't that great. Maybe the AAC can leverage that to poach Boise State and SDSU? That would mitigate the financial impact of the conference potentially losing 1-2 programs.
Expanding on this a bit more. How does this work if we were to bring in Boise St and SDSU, for example? Does every team still get the same amount, or is the same pie split between more teams? If ESPN can reduce the amount if someone leaves, wouldn't they also have to increase it if we added teams?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am Do you truly believed an experienced and respected former TV executive with a multi million dollar salary and a vested interest in extracting the most TV $$ for his conference was unaware of the dollar range and willingness of these alternative distribution platforms to negotiate ? This is reminiscent of casual football fans screaming advice at their teams professional coach.
You make a good point. I hadn't considered Aresco's background.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 am Furthermore this doesn’t include what will be received from CBS for some of our basketball rights. This will push us past $7m and closer to or exceeding $8m.
As I stated earlier CBS is being pushed to the curb here by ESPN and is going to get very little content form the AAC. so right now the number is actually under $7 million a school. The additional CBS dollars will likely only bring it up to $7 million or just a little more. I hope your right that it will get each school more than a million more. I seriously doubt it though.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am Do you truly believed an experienced and respected former TV executive with a multi million dollar salary and a vested interest in extracting the most TV $$ for his conference was unaware of the dollar range and willingness of these alternative distribution platforms to negotiate ? This is reminiscent of casual football fans screaming advice at their teams professional coach.
Using your logic.
Yes. Do you truly believe an experienced coach and respected former NBA GM with a multi million dollar salary and a vested interest in winning was unaware how to coach?
No didn’t think so.
Aresco got schooled just like Dunleavy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 pm As I stated earlier CBS is being pushed to the curb here by ESPN and is going to get very little content form the AAC. so right now the number is actually under $7 million a school. The additional CBS dollars will likely only bring it up to $7 million or just a little more. I hope your right that it will get each school more than a million more. I seriously doubt it though.
That would mean CBS would be paying each school less than $60k/year. I think it's got to be a whole lot more than that for the member Universities to work with CBS on scheduling and other issues. I'm not saying your wrong, ww, because you say "or just a little bit more".

At the same time, we might already be over the $7 million mark. Navy is going to get less than half of a full share. They have a contract with CBSSN for their home games (though 1 every year will go to ESPN) the Army-Navy game is excluded from the contract. Their "home" game every other year versus Notre Dame IS part of the package, but less than half of their games in total are included. As we all know Navy is a football only member, so they're really not providing a lot of content.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It will be interesting to see what we get from CBS. As to Navy I see what you're saying but remember football is where the money is so they probably get at least a half a share.

As to the CBS issue remember the last contract paid a total of $1.9 million to each school. ESPN had the bulk of our content then. Now CBS is only going to get a minuscule version of that. So if each school got $100,000 from them that's $1.2 million. That's more than half the previous contract so that probably is the cap. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I assure you Mike Dunleavy knows far more about the nba as a coach and executive then anyone here.

Mike Arescos’s resume:

Aresco came to the conference from CBS Sports where he was Executive Vice President, Programming. He was responsible for all college sports programming for CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network. Aresco oversaw the acquisition and management of CBS Sports college properties, including the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship, regular-season college basketball and football, conference basketball championship games, football bowl games and other programming. His responsibilities included game selection and scheduling, day-to-day operations, contract negotiations, identification of future acquisitions, development of programming strategies and coordination of new media and marketing initiatives.

Aresco played an integral role in the landmark deal that created the CBS Sports-Turner Broadcasting partnership, which resulted in the acquisition of the NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Championship rights through 2024. He managed the complex 14-year agreement that provides expanded national broadcast and cable coverage of the NCAA basketball championship. Aresco also was instrumental in the CBS Television Network’s groundbreaking bundled rights agreement with the NCAA, which granted CBS exclusive rights to the NCAA tournament from 2003 through 2010. The 2010 NCAA Championship won a Sports Emmy in the Outstanding Playoff Coverage category. He also was a significant contributor in the development of new media platforms for the NCAA Championship, including March Madness On Demand, a highly successful streaming platform.

In 2008, Aresco negotiated a historic 15-year agreement with the Southeastern Conference to televise the league’s football and basketball games. The agreement also provided multiple new media rights for CBS, CBS Sports Network and CBS Interactive. He forged numerous basketball agreements with major conferences and negotiated 10-year extensions of the Army-Navy and Notre Dame-Navy football rivalries.

In 2004, he was appointed by the late NCAA President Myles Brand to the Basketball Partnership, a select panel whose mission was to explore ways to improve and promote college basketball.

Aresco joined CBS Sports from ESPN where he was responsible for overseeing the acquisition, scheduling and development of long-term strategies for all ESPN college sports properties. Earlier in his tenure at ESPN, he was responsible for programming a wide variety of sports properties, including College Football Association, Big Ten, and Pac-10 college football, NCAA events, including early rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament, the College World Series and various professional sports events, including thoroughbred racing, Top Rank Boxing, CFL football, Australian Rules Football, rodeo and yachting. He was the architect of ESPN’s signature Thursday night college football series and helped develop ESPN’s Bowl Week.

What was your relevant experiance and how does your resume compare ?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Long story short, he would be aware of the temperature and development priorities (as well as approximate media rights budget) of the other platforms.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm It will be interesting to see what we get from CBS. As to Navy I see what you're saying but remember football is where the money is so they probably get at least a half a share.

As to the CBS issue remember the last contract paid a total of $1.9 million to each school. ESPN had the bulk of our content then. Now CBS is only going to get a minuscule version of that. So if each school got $100,000 from them that's $1.2 million. That's more than half the previous contract so that probably is the cap. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Do we know what % of content or the quality of that content that CBS is getting now in relation to what they had previously ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You can read the news accounts that have been linked. It's clear ESPN is getting a lot more as they need content for ESPN+. Those stories clearly indicated that CBS would be getting less. That's what makes me suspect what each school gets from them won't be anywhere near a million each.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's official:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 401ad.html

That's a little different than the earlier report. Looks like more games on TV. Also as I said then CBS is getting so little the schools won't be getting much from them.