New AAC TV Contract Done

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Each school will be getting about $7 million from ESPN It will go up a little when they deal with CBS:

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dai ... 9/AAC.aspx

Nice jump of $ 5 million a year for us. Wish it was more but better than what we have had.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

Now all we need is a New Years Day 6 payday of $15 million or so, some NCAA Big Dance appearances .......then we are on our way!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm Each school will be getting about $7 million from ESPN It will go up a little when they deal with CBS:

Nice jump of $ 5 million a year for us. Wish it was more but better than what we have had.
You omitted the most SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FOR FANS: a significant number of FB and a majority of MBB games will be on ESPN+ ; translation PAY PER VIEW ...
Last edited by nawlinspete on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:22 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm Each school will be getting about $7 million from ESPN It will go up a little when they deal with CBS:

You omitted the most SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FOR FANS: a significant number of FB and a majority of MBB games will be on ESPN+ ; translation PAY PER VIEW ...

Yes, I thought that sucked as well. This was the first year I've been able to watch the CBSSN without paying because I now have Hulu TV and its part of their lineup. $60 a year for every fan in the AAC. ESPN may be coming out on the good end of this deal.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The key is for us to use this money to separate ourselves from the G4. Hopefully The conference can put Boise, SDSU, Fresno in the rear view and we can do the same with LA Tech and ULL. With some success the locals and greater LA will come around and our national alums will be empowered. It all starts with spending more on coaches and taking their recruits. Hopefully this is the snow ball getting rolling. I also believe our conference can use this money to lessen the gap with the mid tier P5 and thrash the low end (Vandy, Kansas, Wake Forest etc. ).
RobertM320
Green Wave

One of my main concerns is the length of the contract. Its extended now until 2031-32. By 2026, $7M/yr will be chicken feed to what the power conferences will be getting.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Meh, I’m not so sure. I believe the trend is actually going the other way. While it is hard to lump all of the P5 together when discussing their contracts, I believe most experts agree that many are actually slightly over compensated currently. You’re not going to see the PAC 12 suddenly get 2x more on their next contract.
nawlinspete
Riptide

I would appreciate President Fitts explaining what positive he saw other than$$ to an agreement that virtually guarantees that almost all of ou FB &MBB GAMES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE over cable as will WBB and Olympic sports . In other words we will be seen only by ourselves with no casual fan tuning in .

Aresco has put cement boots on his conference and dumped us into the river ,

And who would accept a job with no growth opportunities of any kind for 12 years ?

It now appears that any improvement in our ATHLETICS will be for naught in the AAC and that our dream of P5 admittance , and P5 $$ is a pipe dream . No matter how well we improve there will be no commensurate reward.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BB AND A SIGNIFICENT NUMBER OF
I didn't leave it out. It's right in the article I posted. More importantly all the more reason for our teams to get better so they'll be on TV rather than on-line.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

That isn’t “pay per view”. It’s $5 a month, flat fee. You get tons of content with it. Just think of it as a network you have to add to your channel lineup, and in 2 years every sports fan in America will have ESPN+. This is the future.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Exactly!

There's going to by 10000x more people with the ESPN3 App than we have as Tulane fans. They will all have access to all AAC content. At $5/month, and it giving you access to the other ESPN outlets , it's a bargain for the cable cutters.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

We rich y’all!! We rich!! Not P5 rich but rich when compared to the U LA LAs, Louisiana Techs, and Southern Misses of the world. With the nice increase in revenue from the new AAC media deal we really need to separate ourselves from these programs and get the top kids out of Louisiana and Mississippi instead of watching them go to these other schools.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 pm Exactly!

There's going to by 10000x more people with the ESPN3 App than we have as Tulane fans. They will all have access to all AAC content. At $5/month, and it giving you access to the other ESPN outlets , it's a bargain for the cable cutters.
The point holds but just to be clear this is a new app, ESPN+ is not the same as ESPN3.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 pm Exactly!

I currently pay $10.95 a month for Tulane’s All Access because I can’t always make all the home baseball games. I guess I’ll drop that once we start getting on ESPN+ and pay ESPN $4.99 a month. I hope our baseball games will be on that otherwise I’ll be disappointed. I’m not going to pay for two different streamers just to cover a few games.
The more attractive teams will continue to get on cable TV. Those that aren’t will be relegated to ESPN+ with the other G5 conferences. All the P5’s already have their on Network’s. The AAC should have insisted on having its own Network available on all cable/satellite TV systems.
The money is better but the exposure is worse. I had ESPN+ when it first came out. To be honest It’s all the garbage content that nobody wants to watch. Outside of Tulane I have no interest in watching SMU play ECU or CUSA/ Southland games or what Duke basketball players do outside of basketball. I’d rather watch an SEC game. I attend all the home FB games and make one or 2 road games. So I’ll have to see what games are going to be on + before I subscribe again. What happened to free Facebook streaming? I thought that was great.
Facebook has over 2 billion users. ESPN+ has 2 million.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

I have had ESPN+ for a while and find it a very reasonable product at $4.99/month. . You get tons of college sports, soccer, ufc and a ton of streaming features like all of ESPN's 30 for 30.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We need all the money we can get but the exposure is important too. That side of this stinks. The only way it turns out well is if our football and basketball programs step up their performances so we aren't relegated to on-line status.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

WavyHoops wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 am I have had ESPN+ for a while and find it a very reasonable product at $4.99/month. . You get tons of college sports, soccer, ufc and a ton of streaming features like all of ESPN's 30 for 30.
Mostly program filler. Yes $4.99 is cheap but the product is not something I’d pick to watch except to see Tulane.
They just announced today UFC will be exclusive on + for its pay per view.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 7ca47b812d
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:15 am We need all the money we can get but the exposure is important too. That side of this stinks. The only way it turns out well is if our football and basketball programs step up their performances so we aren't relegated to on-line status.
Exactly. My neighbor who’s just a casual fan used to watch our games when they were on TV won’t be a subscriber. He’ll now just watch another game. It’s very disappointing we’ve been pushed to +.
Tulane Class of 1981
wave97
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:51 am We rich y’all!! We rich!! Not P5 rich but rich when compared to the U LA LAs, Louisiana Techs, and Southern Misses of the world. With the nice increase in revenue from the new AAC media deal we really need to separate ourselves from these programs and get the top kids out of Louisiana and Mississippi instead of watching them go to these other schools.
Local recruiting needs to improve for sure, but if Tulane can break into the top 40 by means of true performance (not a novelty of scheme), then we can cherry pick at will nationally. You want to talk about separation....
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I would be lying if I said that I didn't secretly hope for at least $10M per team. Even though the AAC isn't a heavy hitter in terms of brands, the value is there for the extra ~$3M in terms of both MBB and FB.

Basically, I'm disappointed even with the 4x increase.

EDIT: Also, it allows ESPN to terminate if the "composition" of the conference changes. Basically, if a P5 poaches two teams, the deal is probably over since those two teams would probably be Cincinnati plus someone else.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:22 am I would be lying if I said that I didn't secretly hope for at least $10M per team. Even though the AAC isn't a heavy hitter in terms of brands, the value is there for the extra ~$3M in terms of both MBB and FB.

Basically, I'm disappointed even with the 4x increase.

EDIT: Also, it allows ESPN to terminate if the "composition" of the conference changes. Basically, if a P5 poaches two teams, the deal is probably over since those two teams would probably be Cincinnati plus someone else.
I was hoping Aresco was going to wait until the time the ESPN didn't have exclusive negotiating rights. There's a lot of competition for content now, and the AAC, while not the product (brand wise) of the P5's is pretty damned good. A much shorter term contract would have been in the Conference's best interests, IMHO.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

There will be additional money from the CBS basketball deal with the AAC, probably closing in on $8m. Also all the uproar about ESPN+ is not a big deal. There is a MASSIVE push behind ESPN+ and its not Pay Per view, it will be a major component to ESPN's strategy, not an afterthought like ESPN3. We will have access to ABC Saturday games if we keep competing in the west and plenty of ESPN airtime. Also we will see more of our second tier sports ( baseball, volleyball ?) on ESPN+ as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I wouldn't count on much from CBS as their content from the league has been cut way back.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

What ever happened to the idea of Amazon or Netflix creating a college sports channel and competing against ESPN for the AAC television deal? I was really hoping that was going to happen and drive up the AAC’s value especially since most of the P5 television contracts are locked in for another five years. I thought the AAC would be featured on a college sports station on Hulu, Sling TV, etc. that would be owned by an Amazon or Netflix in addition to accessing the streaming content on their own sites.