Dunleavy GONE

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
TURVS71
Swell

As of 3/16

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 amAs of 3/16
Amen. Now it’s over!!!!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

And there I was coming around to gbg’s way of thinking.
AugWave
Swell

Perfect timing to look for a quality coach. The AAC is a good basketball conference with some strong teams and coaches. Anxious to see who we target.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Let's take our time with our hire ; let's see who are I terested in us .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Thank God ! Good move Troy
msdos
Swell

Now Troy needs to be on the hook to recoup that buyout or his bitch ass needs to be gone too
Wave755
Tsunami

There is a God after all.🙏🏻

And, Rick Dickson is no more.😀
tufinal4
High Tide

AAC about to land new TV contract providing several million more per year to help fund things like a new top flight basketball coach.
GreenLantern
Riptide

There are times in your life and career when you realize that there is ONLY one choice. Examples might be 1)if your hair were to spontaneously combust and 2)when you realize you have hired the worst coach in American college basketball.

Even though there was no choice to be made, I thank Troy Dannen for displaying the courage to make it. It is with equal amounts of excitement and trepidation that I await TD's next hire. This is the same sort of feeling that I had about my broker several months after he assured me that buying Enron would assure my financial success. Everyone will make mistakes. But if my broker had urged me to to buy Sears as a chance to recoup my losses, I would think it time to change brokers. You've exhausted your political capital, Mr. Dannen. I fully support your next decision. Make it like your career depends upon it.
netshorty
Surge

Great news and glad to see this no-brainer decision was made.

Originally I thought MD's failure here would hinder our ability to attract a quality coach. My thinking was potential coaches would think if a former NBA coach of the year can't win here then there is no hope for winning at Tulane. But MD did a terrific job of highlighting he's just a terrible coach and that there should be no correlation to his failure a prospective coach's ability to win at Tulane.

Happy day!
GreenLantern
Riptide

P.S. To my ex wife: Did you really mean it when you told me you loved me immediately before you filed for divorce? If so, why?

P.P.S. To Troy Dannen: Did you really mean it when we were winless at midseason and you promised Dunleavy's return with "100% assurance"? If so, why?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The vote of confidence was a calculated move. It’s there to protect and inspire the kids to keep playing hard for Dunleavy and help him recruit. I have said several times in these threads I wouldn’t be surprised if his public statement was akin to what houston did with applewhite. A calculated move to provide some cover and stability and if the wheels fall off (as they did at houston with the bowl game and here at Tulane going winless) you can make your change later. Your public statements aren’t some binding resolution or contract, views can change and evolve.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 am The vote of confidence was a calculated move. It’s there to protect and inspire the kids to keep playing hard for Dunleavy and help him recruit. I have said several times in these threads I wouldn’t be surprised if his public statement was akin to what houston did with applewhite. A calculated move to provide some cover and stability and if the wheels fall off (as they did at houston with the bowl game and here at Tulane going winless) you can make your change later. Your public statements aren’t some binding resolution or contract, views can change and evolve.
I think I read somewhere that none of those big recruits for whom the “vote of confidence” was intended chose Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow. Times HAVE changed at Tulane, at least as far as accountability is concerned. In the past twelve months we've seen baseball replace the pitching coach, football replace their offensive coordinator (in spite of going to a bowl game) and bball fire the HC even with 3 years left on his contract.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am Wow. Times HAVE changed at Tulane, at least as far as accountability is concerned. In the past twelve months we've seen baseball replace the pitching coach, football replace their offensive coordinator (in spite of going to a bowl game) and bball fire the HC even with 3 years left on his contract.
Not really. We are still hiring bad coaches only now we have money that can buy the mistakes out quicker. Dannen better not screw this hire up again. He’ll be next. He just hired the worst coach in history and gave him a 6 year contract that cost millions to clean up the mess.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Great news. Makes this an even happier St. Pat’s weekend!

ROLLWAVEROLL!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 am The vote of confidence was a calculated move. It’s there to protect and inspire the kids to keep playing hard for Dunleavy and help him recruit. I have said several times in these threads I wouldn’t be surprised if his public statement was akin to what houston did with applewhite. A calculated move to provide some cover and stability and if the wheels fall off (as they did at houston with the bowl game and here at Tulane going winless) you can make your change later. Your public statements aren’t some binding resolution or contract, views can change and evolve.
I tend to agree. Firing during mid-season really serves no useful purpose unless there is some sort of ethical or criminal issue (see LSU). I thought Dunleavy would be retained but I am certainly not disappointed.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Men’s Basketball Announces a Change in Leadership

MAR 16, 2019
NEW ORLEANS – Tulane University Director of Athletics Troy Dannen announced today that men's basketball head coach Mike Dunleavy Sr., will not return for the 2019-20 season.

"Over the last few weeks, I completed a comprehensive evaluation of our program," Dannen said. "My conclusion was a leadership change was necessary in order to maximize the potential of not only our basketball program, but our athletic department. The decision, as with any of this magnitude, was not made lightly."

This past season, Tulane finished the year with a 4-27 record, including an 0-18 mark in American Athletic Conference play.

"I want to offer my sincere thanks and appreciation for Coach Dunleavy's efforts in leading our program. Mike Dunleavy has a great history in the game of basketball. He is on a very short list of people who have influenced the game at the highest level in a multitude of ways - as a player, coach and broadcaster. We are grateful that teaching the game he loves here at Tulane is now a chapter in his career."

Tulane has begun an immediate search for its next head coach.

"I believe we are poised to continue our off court successes and our returning players constitute a solid foundation for future competitive success," Dannen added.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We have NO IDEA how the buyout works, and how much it's costing the University. Unless you were in the room with MD and TD, you don't know what kind of deal was made. TD did what needed to be done. Many of us feared we'd have to endure another year or two of Dunleavy. Can't we be thankful that Troy Dannen pulled the trigger?

He can't hire Andy Cannizaro as basketball coach so maybe we should back off and give him a chance to make a hire and see how it turns out. Most, if not all of us, liked the Mike Dunleavy hire at the time it was announced. I know I was wrong about my excitement at that time. It was much more of an experiment than I would have preferred. But some here have been riding Dannen since he skipped over Cannizaro. How well did that hire work out for MSU?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:08 pm We have NO IDEA how the buyout works, and how much it's costing the University. Unless you were in the room with MD and TD, you don't know what kind of deal was made. TD did what needed to be done. Many of us feared we'd have to endure another year or two of Dunleavy. Can't we be thankful that Troy Dannen pulled the trigger?

He can't hire Andy Cannizaro as basketball coach so maybe we should back off and give him a chance to make a hire and see how it turns out. Most, if not all of us, liked the Mike Dunleavy hire at the time it was announced. I know I was wrong about my excitement at that time. It was much more of an experiment than I would have preferred. But some here have been riding Dannen since he skipped over Cannizaro. How well did that hire work out for MSU?
WHAT A STUPID POST . BRAIN DEAD .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I had high hopes for MD, I thought with his experience, it would make for an ideal place for good assistants to teach and learn....we learned 2 thing that college and the NBA have in common, the ball is round and the same size, and the goal is placed 10 feet above the floor......that said, with all of the Billy Kennedy talk, I will throw out one more local name..if Bama fires Avery Johnson, he has to be on the short list
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I really think the new AAC media deal that is going to be announced sometime in the next month or two was a big factor. It feels nice to have the money to make these kinds of mistakes go away and chnge course that much more quickly. Ideally it should help us catch up and surpass our G4 competitors rather quickly. It’s embarrassing that UNO has a better basketball team then Tulane.

1% chance Steve Alford would be interested but that the first call I make. Then it’s Andy Kennedy, Billy Kennedy, Steve Forbes and the coaches at Furman & Yale.

Troy said no search firm this time. Should be quick
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:14 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:08 pm We have NO IDEA how the buyout works, and how much it's costing the University. Unless you were in the room with MD and TD, you don't know what kind of deal was made. TD did what needed to be done. Many of us feared we'd have to endure another year or two of Dunleavy. Can't we be thankful that Troy Dannen pulled the trigger?

WHAT A STUPID POST . BRAIN DEAD .
Another BRILLIANT post by pete. BRILLIANT!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Now move forward Greenwave Nation leave Dannen alone, move on he has proven to make tough choices. My problem was not about criticism, but some things said can damage a program. Learn from Dannen you can make tough choices quietly. Learn constructive versus arrogant and personal destructive criticism. Personal attacks can destroy programs, Have class and represent Tulane University well and with class when giving criticism. Calling the team CAA caliber was uncalled for. Love you all Greenwave Nation, I bleed Olive and Blue since 1962.
Last edited by gbgreenie on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.