Dunleavy GONE

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
MicMan
Swell

"Dannon"!

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dunleavy politely thanked Tulane for the opportunity and said the team is poised to turn it around next year.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Dunleavy has always been a gentleman and a classy individual when I have met him. I wish him and his family the best. This just wasn’t a good fit for him
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:00 pm Dunleavy has always been a gentleman and a classy individual when I have met him. I wish him and his family the best. This just wasn’t a good fit for him
Absolutely. Great synopsis.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
swampnik
Surge

MD spoke truth to wisdom in his outgoing statement. Looking forward to next year's team with a new face at the helm. MD might even stick around in NOLA for awhile since it was his wife's wish to be here.
Last edited by swampnik on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Bigschtick
Riptide

Thank you Mr Dannen.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
aus10dixon
Ripple

It feels nice to have a good athletic director.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I hope Dunleavy does stick around in some capacity. I wouldn’t bet on it, but it would be awesome if he was brought on as an advisor or consultant to the athletic director in a few years.
msdos
Swell

aus10dixon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm It feels nice to have a good athletic director.
A 6 million dollar mistake. Yes yes, “good” athletic director
aus10dixon
Ripple

msdos wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:52 pm
aus10dixon wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm It feels nice to have a good athletic director.
A 6 million dollar mistake. Yes yes, “good” athletic director
Good to have you on board!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Troy Dannen's press conference announcing the termination of Coach Dunleavy:

phpBB [video]
WavyHoops
High Tide

Thanks for posting the video.

I note that Dannen emphasized the (non) athleticism of the Green Wave players and indirectly referenced their inability to play individual defense. It’l be interesting to see how this drives the hiring decision.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

MicMan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:05 pm "Dannon"!
gbg = yogurt man
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

HOORAY!!! I ragged on Dannen as much as anyone, and I’m very happy to see that he made the emotionally difficult decision to pull the trigger. Objectively it was an easy call, but I’m sure it was a tough personal decision—ala Fritz’s decision to jettison Ruse. It’s very nice to see that we have both a football coach and AD who believe in accountability, and can make the hard call. Thank you Mr. Dannen!!! I’m breaking out the Irish whiskey early this weekend. Happy St Patrick’s Day to all.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Thank you GL for posting the video of the presser. I'm sorry, but I think Dannen is 1000% better than Dickson. That being said, this hire is important for him to nail, as two or three years from now if it turns out poorly, we should be calling for a new AD. But I like the professional attitude and open communication he brings. I'm excited to see who the hire is, and will try not to judge until we see progress on the court.

I also feel that Mike Dunleavy is a class act. He might not be a great college basketball coach, but he did a lot of good things for the University. To his credit, the kids never stopped putting their best effort into the games. I wish him well.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

Thank you Troy for allowing me to live this moment again.

Ball Sumrall!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Someone on the other board said that Tulane is paying Dunleavy for the remaining years of his contact. That would be around three million dollars which is a lot of money for Tulane athletics. I hope they reached some sort of settlement instead. As much as it pains me to say it if we are paying Dunleavy on his remaining contract instead of a settlement than I would have preferred that the three million dollars go into the football and baseball programs even if it meant we had to keep Dunleavy around for another year or two. I still cannot believe for the life of me that Dannen gave a first time college coach who had not coached basketball for several years a six year contract. It does not make any sense and does not reflect well on Dannen. Heck if Dannen did not reach a settlement with Dunleavy Tulane should stop paying him and let Dunleavy sue which you know he will do as happened when he was fired from the Clippers. Then perhaps Tulane can reach a settlement with Dunleavy unless he would rather not settle and have his three million dollars eaten up by legal fees.
JerseyWave
Riptide

$3 million is a lot by Tulane standards, but not a lot in the world of major college athletics. That money can easily be recouped within three years if the new coach can experience the type of success Tulane had in Perry Clark's first three years. I would bet there was pressure put on Dannen from the conference office to get men's basketball moving in a different direction. Tulane was hurting the entire conference with this pathetic season.
MicMan
Swell

Dannen didn't make this expensive a decision without the assent of Fitts and the board.
nawlinspete
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm Dannen didn't make this expensive a decision without the assent of Fitts and the board.
[/quote
At this point , speculation .]
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:02 pm Someone on the other board said that Tulane is paying Dunleavy for the remaining years of his contact. That would be around three million dollars which is a lot of money for Tulane athletics. I hope they reached some sort of settlement instead. As much as it pains me to say it if we are paying Dunleavy on his remaining contract instead of a settlement than I would have preferred that the three million dollars go into the football and baseball programs even if it meant we had to keep Dunleavy around for another year or two. I still cannot believe for the life of me that Dannen gave a first time college coach who had not coached basketball for several years a six year contract. It does not make any sense and does not reflect well on Dannen. Heck if Dannen did not reach a settlement with Dunleavy Tulane should stop paying him and let Dunleavy sue which you know he will do as happened when he was fired from the Clippers. Then perhaps Tulane can reach a settlement with Dunleavy unless he would rather not settle and have his three million dollars eaten up by legal fees.

If this is true, then we are going to have to watch our pockets with the next hire. I sure hope we make a good decision.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm Dannen didn't make this expensive a decision without the assent of Fitts and the board.
No, he said in the press conference that he consulted with Fitts and the BOA.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:05 am
No, he said in the press conference that he consulted with Fitts and the BOA.
Learn to read

We know he consulted on the firing . The discussion is on the details off the FINANCIAL SETTLEMENT

LEARN TO READ .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
WavyHoops
High Tide

Judging from the website, Coaches Sposato and Stewart are already gone as well. Tony Chiles still currently on the staff.