Temple Whips Tulane 80-69, 18th Consecutive Loss

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We’ll have to agree to disagree. They don’t have the athleticism to play at this level. Zhang is too weak mentally. We should have more wins with them with good coaching but it wouldn’t be anywhere near a winning record .

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:04 am
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 am We only have two players that can play at this level in Daniels and Sehic. Even without MD there isn't much to look forward to next season.,
I disagree. I think u underrate the freshmen being thrown into roles they should not be in until they are soph or jrs.
Yep, I think it's impossible to know what we have because they are all setup to fail.

Zhang, Crabtree and Wood have shown some flashes offensively. What we know is they aren't very consistent in the MD system of swinging the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expires.

Defensively they look like they've gone to the MD School of Ole' Defense. They look and play slow but that's magnified due to no defensive principles or scheme.

In any case, as WW states, it is nice that Daniels and Sehic have stood out as good players in this mess but doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is good. It just means they aren't very good in his system. I'd argue very few would do well in this "system".
netshorty
Surge

A few have suggested that we may get pressure from Aresco about dragging down the conference. And others have mentioned they know of fans of other AAC teams that hate they have to play us because it drags down their power rating.

Well, Temple, who is a bubble team, was rewarded with a 2 spot DROP in the power rankings after beating us by double digits. Remember the NET ranking caps a win/loss point differential at 10 points so they beat us by the max they would get credit for. Yet they lost precious ground in the power poll that is a key factor in the NCAA selection process.

But good news is we dropped just 1 spot to 301.

Geez.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the "weight" of the "wait until next year" is a killer...no offense to Jerry lee lewis
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:38 am We only have two players that can play at this level in Daniels and Sehic. Even without MD there isn't much to look forward to next season.,
I disagree. I think u underrate the freshmen being thrown into roles they should not be in until they are soph or jrs.
Yep, I think it's impossible to know what we have because they are all setup to fail.

Zhang, Crabtree and Wood have shown some flashes offensively. What we know is they aren't very consistent in the MD system of swinging the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expires.

Defensively they look like they've gone to the MD School of Ole' Defense. They look and play slow but that's magnified due to no defensive principles or scheme.

In any case, as WW states, it is nice that Daniels and Sehic have stood out as good players in this mess but doesn't necessarily mean that nobody else is good. It just means they aren't very good in his system. I'd argue very few would do well in this "system".
No doubt the system is bad and makes people look worse than they are. That still doesn't negate the fact that they aren't very athletic. If left wide open they can sometimes hit threes. Once people have film they don't allow that. None are good enough to create their own shot. Then on defense they just can't keep up. Even if they stay through their senior years and with a better coach this group might get us to 6-8 conference wins. That doesn't cut it. Talent wise the program is far away from being good. I hope they prove me wrong but I seriously doubt it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

Pathetic how you guys sound, open your focus, doom dayers. all of you will look a fool next year when the Wave BB will make a huge turnaround, played Temple tough last game no quit, youngsters Wood and Crabtree growing, Daniels and Sehic getting better, point guard Embo and this groups takes off!!!
Wave QB
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm Pathetic how you guys sound, open your focus, doom dayers. all of you will look a fool next year when the Wave BB will make a huge turnaround, played Temple tough last game no quit, youngsters Wood and Crabtree growing, Daniels and Sehic getting better, point guard Embo and this groups takes off!!!

I hope you are right about next year, but are you really ok with what we look like right now?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 am We’ll have to agree to disagree. They don’t have the athleticism to play at this level. Zhang is too weak mentally. We should have more wins with them with good coaching but it wouldn’t be anywhere near a winning record .
Jeez the kid is a true frosh and has put up multple 20 point games. I just don’t get the hate. He is raw and needs to put on 20 pounds, just like 95% of wvery other frosh. I don’t think some folks appreciate the jump from high school to D1, nevermind a relatively high end D1 conference. No one is saying this is an NCAA caliber roster but many of these players could provide quality depth if we had better front line players.
At the end of the day the talent is better than the results. There is non reason to not have won more games, none. That is on the coaching staff.
Yes there needs to be a talent upgrade to be a true competitive program, but again my point was to compare talent vs results.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one is hating on him. His psyche has been much discussed. Pete Rasche talked about how the crowd realized it early about him at Cincy and got on him and he went in to his shell. He's had three 20 point performances. He's had four zero point outings and mostly single digit performances. He's been really poor on defense. He'll get better but he needs to get a lot better and to become consistent. This is s a sport where freshman can be real contributors in their freshman year and I'm not talking about the one and doner's. It's rare to see 5th year seniors.

The latter part of your post makes sense. Your original post above read as if you felt we could win at high levels in the AAC with these players in a couple of years. Now that you clarified it we certainly agree that the talent limited as it is is better than the results and that is squarely on the coaching.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm No one is hating on him. His psyche has been much discussed. Pete Rasche talked about how the crowd realized it early about him at Cincy and got on him and he went in to his shell. He's had three 20 point performances. He's had four zero point outings and mostly single digit performances. He's been really poor on defense. He'll get better but he needs to get a lot better and to become consistent. This is s a sport where freshman can be real contributors in their freshman year and I'm not talking about the one and doner's. It's rare to see 5th year seniors.

The latter part of your post makes sense. Your original post above read as if you felt we could win at high levels in the AAC with these players in a couple of years. Now that you clarified it we certainly agree that the talent limited as it is is better than the results and that is squarely on the coaching.
You r way off. Again agree to disagree.

U think TU is bringing impact frosh. Dear god.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. Drama queen much. I said they can be real contributors. I didn't say they were impact players. Big difference.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 pm LOL. Drama queen much. I said they can be real contributors. I didn't say they were impact players. Big difference.
It is sometimes impossible to have an adult discussion with u.

“We only have two players that can play at this level in Daniels and Sehic. Even without MD there isn't much to look forward to next season“

Ur words. So now give me some absurd rationalization of ur own statement. I look forward to it.....(not really).

In your words, these frosh cannot “play” on this level but they can “contribute” on this level. Yikes.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I said freshman can be real contributors. I didn't say ours were. They aren't. Try again drama queen. Should make a great costume for you today. BTW, the reason you can never have an adult conversation with anyone is you'll always be one adult short.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He's doing it again, across two threads no less.

Why can't we just get along?

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all. Laisez les bon temps roule!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:09 am I said freshman can be real contributors. I didn't say ours were. They aren't. Try again drama queen. Should make a great costume for you today. BTW, the reason you can never have an adult conversation with anyone is you'll always be one adult short.
And there it is.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:31 pm
netshorty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:30 am

No doubt the system is bad and makes people look worse than they are. That still doesn't negate the fact that they aren't very athletic. If left wide open they can sometimes hit threes. Once people have film they don't allow that. None are good enough to create their own shot. Then on defense they just can't keep up. Even if they stay through their senior years and with a better coach this group might get us to 6-8 conference wins. That doesn't cut it. Talent wise the program is far away from being good. I hope they prove me wrong but I seriously doubt it.
+1,000. While inept coaching is the main feature of our basketball program, there is a lack of talent. And why not, why would any talented or even marginally talented player want to throw in with this cast of coaching clowns. MD has not recruited well. The African experiment has done nothing, And Zhang just doesn’t have it—he floats around the 3 point line avoiding contact, and when one of our players puts up the usual clock-beating Hail Mary shot, 6’9” Zhang makes no attempt to go after an offensive rebound. We might have 5 players that can become effective DI players, with decent coaching. The sad fact is that we are looking at a 2 to 3 year rebuild once Dannen ends this embarrassment by firing Dunleavy. It’s looking more likely that Aresco will have to pressure Dannen to do the right thing.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
WavyHoops
High Tide

The Dunleavy hire was a gamble that with his name recognition and NBA connections, he would change the Tulane narrative and enable the Wave to land 4 and 5-star recruits instead of the 2 and 3s that have been the norm. That hasn't happened and it's not going to happen. No 16-year old knows who the heck Mike Dunleavy Sr. is and, if their parents do, they know him as the joke of a NBA coach who led the pathetic Clippers in the 2000s, not the guy who coached the Blazers or Lakers.

NCAA basketball is a sport where your team can be more than the sum of its parts. That will be even more the case as the 5-star players go in greater and greater numbers to the NBA and D League. Tulane needs a coach who can coach these kids up, teach them defense, offensive efficiency, etc. This isn't as complicated as many are making it. But the first step is to get rid of Dunleavy.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This was my quote that I was referring to:

"This is s a sport where freshman can be real contributors in their freshman year and I'm not talking about the one and doner's. It's rare to see 5th year seniors. "

So yes there it is. I was clearly talking about freshman in this sport in general not our freshman. Then you take it and try to say I think we should be getting impact freshman. Way to try and twist things. I've been clear that I don't think much of who MD has brought . But keeping being a drama queen because you can't handle an honest discussion of our team.
Last edited by winwave on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 am He's doing it again, across two threads no less.

Why can't we just get along?

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all. Laisez les bon temps roule!
And there he is yet again not being able to admit I'm right because it just pains him. Go back and read the whole thread. Even when others tell him I'm right he has to deny it. It will never change.

We can all get along. Get over your agenda. Happy Mardi Gras!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LMFAO...some things will NEVER change. But the points ww makes (or tries to) change when the argument is lost.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

His obsession continues. But who didn't know that.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:43 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 pm LOL. Drama queen much. I said they can be real contributors. I didn't say they were impact players. Big difference.
It is sometimes impossible to have an adult discussion with u.

“We only have two players that can play at this level in Daniels and Sehic. Even without MD there isn't much to look forward to next season“

Ur words. So now give me some absurd rationalization of ur own statement. I look forward to it.....(not really).

In your words, these frosh cannot “play” on this level but they can “contribute” on this level. Yikes.
;)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HIs obsession continues.
Kesinger
Trickle

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:07 pm LMFAO...some test link things will NEVER change. But the points ww makes (or tries to) change when the argument is lost.
Gotta love a good argument to get the blood flowing. haha

I'm not too worried about the losing streak. We can only go up from here.