Weekend Basketball Visitors

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Use the other threads to discuss how bad the basketball team is, this is strictly for info and thoughts on these recruits who are visiting this weekend.

One is Jonathan Aku, 6-11 Center, 240 lbs. and a 4-star, rated #108 nationally in the 2020 class. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... aku-232517

I know the other is 4-star Elij Wood from the class of 2020 that said he would commit to us.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... ood-208681

I believe those twins we are chasing are visiting pitt this weekend but had been considering visiting us this weekend.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... nie-183345
https://247sports.com/Player/Justin-Cha ... -46055233/

If anyone has any other information id love to hear it.

WavyHoops
High Tide

Will be very curious to see if these recruits see the clubbing that Tulane is getting and say “I can start and make a major impact right away” or “no way am I walking into this dumpster fire”.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I share that curiosity
HoustonWave
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm Will be very curious to see if these recruits see the clubbing that Tulane is getting and say “I can start and make a major impact right away” or “no way am I walking into this dumpster fire”.
Very good question. Along with the question, how many of the current players will stay?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
netshorty
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:43 pm Will be very curious to see if these recruits see the clubbing that Tulane is getting and say “I can start and make a major impact right away” or “no way am I walking into this dumpster fire”.
Very good question. Along with the question, how many of the current players will stay?
The answer to both questions is it really doesn't matter.
Neither will have a significant impact on the programs future success with the current coaching staff.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They're 2020 recruits. I pray to dear God that we have a different coaching staff in place by the start of the 20-21 season, if not sooner. If I were a 2020 HS graduate, there's no way I'd consider this program unless we had a new coach in March of 2019.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:42 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm
The answer to both questions is it really doesn't matter.
Neither will have a significant impact on the programs future success with the current coaching staff.
Sadly, I completely agree with that.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think a lot of people are missing the point. What is it most talented players really want? To play in the NBA. That's it. That's their goal. So if they believe that MD has the ability to improve them individually so they can play pro-ball, they'll come. They could give a rat's ass about whether the team accomplishes anything. Look how many are international players as well. They don't have that same ties to schools the way Americans do. They see it all as preparation to play in the NBA. Period.

Not saying this is true in every players case, but you have to believe some feel that way. Its like getting someone to teach and mentor them for free.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm I think a lot of people are missing the point. What is it most talented players really want? To play in the NBA. That's it. That's their goal. So if they believe that MD has the ability to improve them individually so they can play pro-ball, they'll come. They could give a rat's ass about whether the team accomplishes anything. Look how many are international players as well. They don't have that same ties to schools the way Americans do. They see it all as preparation to play in the NBA. Period.

Not saying this is true in every players case, but you have to believe some feel that way. Its like getting someone to teach and mentor them for free.
Not missing the point. Not even debating whether or not MD can pull in these guys. Just stating the obvious, that with or without these recruits we are doomed to failure (as a team) with the current staff. I could give a rats ass about getting kids to the NBA if it means we suck as a team. And if any recruit thinks MD is better suited then probably 100 other coaches in college to prepare and get them to the NBA then they aren't bright enough to be a Tulane student. Well that may be a little harsh.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Whom has MD put in the NBA? Mel Frazier has had less than a half cup of coffee in the league, and Cam Reynolds is having a nice G=League experience, but hasn't really played in the NBA.

How about a recruit that MD has had? Anyone look like they might make it to the NBA?

I hear crickets.

Anything that recruits think is positive about Coach Dunleavy and the NBA happened at least 10, if not 20 years prior to him coming to Tulane.
RobertM320
Green Wave

netshorty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm I think a lot of people are missing the point. What is it most talented players really want? To play in the NBA. That's it. That's their goal. So if they believe that MD has the ability to improve them individually so they can play pro-ball, they'll come. They could give a rat's ass about whether the team accomplishes anything. Look how many are international players as well. They don't have that same ties to schools the way Americans do. They see it all as preparation to play in the NBA. Period.

Not missing the point. Not even debating whether or not MD can pull in these guys. Just stating the obvious, that with or without these recruits we are doomed to failure (as a team) with the current staff. I could give a rats ass about getting kids to the NBA if it means we suck as a team. And if any recruit thinks MD is better suited then probably 100 other coaches in college to prepare and get them to the NBA then they aren't bright enough to be a Tulane student. Well that may be a little harsh.
I agree with you, shorty. All WE care about is wins and losses. My point was, some of the kids may not. And if any of these kids are getting input from their parents, their parents know who Dunleavy is. We just don't know what the kids agenda is. They can't all go to Kentucky, Duke and NC, especially if they're only rated 3 stars. They're not as good as THEY THINK they are. But THEY believe they can play in the NBA, and Dunleavy could be their ticket. Think Lindsey Scott, but in basketball.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:09 pm Whom has MD put in the NBA? Mel Frazier has had less than a half cup of coffee in the league, and Cam Reynolds is having a nice G=League experience, but hasn't really played in the NBA.

How about a recruit that MD has had? Anyone look like they might make it to the NBA?

I hear crickets.

Anything that recruits think is positive about Coach Dunleavy and the NBA happened at least 10, if not 20 years prior to him coming to Tulane.
I never said he did. I'm talking about PERCEPTION. A lot of these kids' parents are in their late 30's early 40's. They know who Dunleavy is. And let's face it, the kids we're getting are NOT being recruited by Duke and Kentucky.
netshorty
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am
netshorty wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

I agree with you, shorty. All WE care about is wins and losses. My point was, some of the kids may not. And if any of these kids are getting input from their parents, their parents know who Dunleavy is. We just don't know what the kids agenda is. They can't all go to Kentucky, Duke and NC, especially if they're only rated 3 stars. They're not as good as THEY THINK they are. But THEY believe they can play in the NBA, and Dunleavy could be their ticket. Think Lindsey Scott, but in basketball.
I understand what you're saying and was thinking MD's name would do exactly as you are saying, draw in some kids (via parents even) that maybe we didn't have a shot at under the previous regimes. You can build a program into a winner fast with just one exceptional recruiting class. But in three years of MD recruiting that has proven not to be the case. No idea why we are getting a look from any 4 star kids now.. And the problem I see now is that one good recruiting class won't offset MD's coaching incompetence.

Outside of Kentucky, Duke and NC there are loads of options for kids to get to the next level. All P5/P6 and many Mid-major coaches can point to examples of getting kids to the NBA with probably more compelling reasons then MD's claims of getting Frasier drafted, a kid that was attractive to the league because of his athleticism and defensive skills. Neither of which were taught by MD.
gbgreenie
Surge

Debbie doubters, you all are sounding like a broken record and quite frankly very sickening that you have to spew your negativity on a post about recruits. What is it that you like to brag about your imagined knowledge and look big or something. Negativity does not belong on a post about recruiting. Just shut up broken records like you guys are pathetic, we all know how you feel so for the sake of the University get lost you are not doing any good. Would you be happy to chase away some of these star recruits, is that your goal then it would make you look like the almighty. Pathetic!!! Just simply grow up dudes!!!
WavyHoops
High Tide

Yes, it is us anonymous nobodies on an obscure message board who may scare away recruits. Couldn’t possibly be one of the worst records in the country or an empty gym.
netshorty
Surge

It may seem like a broken record but MD keeps adding to the embarrassment that it's impossible to ignore.

Most fans on this board want to see a winning program. Simple as that. Most, not all, shared similar thoughts as gbg when MD was hired 3 years ago that MD would be able to turn around the program. But he's now had 3 years. If your thinking hasn't changed in 3 years, you really aren't paying attention. At the end of his 3rd year he will hold all of the following distinctions:
- Lowest total winning percentage of any Tulane coach with 2 or more years on the job
- Lowest conference winning percentage of any Tulane coach with 2 or more years on the job
- Longest losing streak in 55 Years (in his 3rd year)
- Worst start to a conference schedule (12 or more losses) in Tulane history (in his 3rd year)

Here's what he's chasing:
- Only winless conference record in history (in his 3rd year)
- First +300 RPI / NET Rating (in his 3rd year)

The evidence over his first 3 years is overwhelming that he is not capable of turning around the program. Excuses like he doesn't have a PG this year are negated by the fact that he had a PG and 2 NBA camp kids last year and still lost 9 of his last 10 games.

Most coaches that grade highly are in the camp that they can do more with less. So if you finish higher than your recruiting ranking you are either a good talent evaluator or a good coach capable of getting more out of your talent. Of course recruiting rankings have subjectivity but are a fair measuring stick for this analysis. Here's how MD has fared (based on 247 rankings):
2015 Ranking: 64th Nat'l, 8th AAC (Conroy's last class)
2016 Ranking: 86th Nal'l, 6th AAC | 2016-17 Conf. Result: 11th
2017 Ranking: 99th Nat'l, 10th AAC | 2017-18 Conf Result: 10th
2018 Ranking: 75th Nat'l, 5th AAC | 2018-19 Conf Result: 12th
2019 Ranking: 128th Nat'l, 11th AAC (based on LOIs to date)

I get it, it takes time for talent to mature so let's just take the averages of his 3 years.
Avg. Conf Recruiting ranking: 7th. Average Conf Results: 11th.
So he is middle of the pack(ish) in recruiting and bottom of the pack in results.

Worth highlighting is Conroy had a pretty talented set of recruits his final year that MD inherited. Cupboard was not totally bare.

There is no evidence that things will be different next year. We get a PG back that under MD's tutelage produced 8 wins in 36 conference tries. We get a highly rated transfer similar to what was touted when we got Cornish to come over from UNLV. We get players back with another year of experience, just as we got Frazier, Reynolds, Paul and others back with a year in MD's system last year. We get some new recruits. But we get the same coach that doesn't have an effective college offensive system, doesn't know how to coach defense, and doesn't seem to understand how to manage a game.

We ALL want a winning program. It's clear what we get with MD. We don't have to guess any longer or hold out some sort of false hope or project what-ifs. We can give him a PG, some highly rated players, a soft OOC schedule and a freaking altitude chamber and we'll continue to be cellar dwellers.
Last edited by netshorty on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Very clearly stated and well articulated overview of why we want a new coach.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Who the hell would want to come here and play under this coach!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
galvezwave
Swell

I remember after pointer Williams left we played a year or 2 without a PG. Kim, leveldro and Chris Cameron shared the duties . None of them were PGs. We won because they could play basketball.
gbgreenie
Surge

Pathetic we have some of the worst fans I have ever been associated with, pathetic you must wake up each day figuring what negative comment you can make. Keep it up just like you guys did with Willie Fritz when I defended him. He got one player the QB McMillian and all of a sudden Willie went from the worst coach to a super star., You guys will have egg on your face once again and I will laugh in each of your negative Annies faces.
WavyHoops
High Tide

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm Pathetic we have some of the worst fans I have ever been associated with, pathetic you must wake up each day figuring what negative comment you can make. Keep it up just like you guys did with Willie Fritz when I defended him. He got one player the QB McMillian and all of a sudden Willie went from the worst coach to a super star., You guys will have egg on your face once again and I will laugh in each of your negative Annies faces.
Well, since I think you are right that Dunleavy isn't going anywhere, I do hope you are right that things will turn around under his extended reign.
WavyHoops
High Tide

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm Pathetic we have some of the worst fans I have ever been associated with, pathetic you must wake up each day figuring what negative comment you can make. Keep it up just like you guys did with Willie Fritz when I defended him. He got one player the QB McMillian and all of a sudden Willie went from the worst coach to a super star., You guys will have egg on your face once again and I will laugh in each of your negative Annies faces.
Well, since I think you are right that Dunleavy isn't going anywhere, I do hope you are right that things will turn around under his extended reign. If the worst thing that happens is that I end up watching the Green Wave in the NCAAs through egg-covered eyes, I will laugh with you.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That’s the point. Fritz did make mid-season changes and salvaged the season—Dunleavy hasn’t. Also, you can’t compare Fritz to Dunleavy because Fritz can fundamentally coach college football, Dunleavy can’t coach college basketball, or apparently any level of basketball. Fritz has a remarkably high career winning %, Dunleavy has a remarkably awful career losing %. You insult Fritz when you suggest that Dunleavy will be able to turn our basketball program around like Fritz has football. The two cannot be compared in any manner. And next season, when Dunleavy coughs up his fourth sub .300 season, It will be us that will be laughing at you and your illusions.
nawlinspete
Riptide

And what were the reactions to being on campus with our current players , to Tulane Gym ? And what were their parents` reactions ? And how did the dumpster fire season go over with the recruits and their parents ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg is like the almighty Oz, hiding behind the black curtain even though nobody believes in him. And I'm not convinced Mike Dunleavy doesn't step down or accept a different position at season's end. This whole season is just too bad to imagine. Given the fact that we all knew that Conroy was gone at season's end about this time of year three years ago. TD had pretty much said so, talking about accountability. And Conroy's last season was 100000% more promising than this season. Where's the accountability now?