Zhang

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

What is with this kid . It sure appears he has quit . Bad numbers virtually every game after Florida State .

Against Tulsa last night he missed every shot and all his free throws to be shut out in his 23 minutes on the floor.

Despite what Dannen and Dunleavy are saying the results say the team has quit on the coaches. Look for multiple transfers out if Dunleavy is not fired . Hard to believe that any legitimate high school talent will want to matriculate to the cluster f*** that is Tulane basketball .

Dunleavy and Dannen are cancers that must be excised NOW .

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Forever TU
Surge

You really need to take a vacation man.
GreenLantern
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:37 pm What is with this kid . It sure appears he has quit . Bad numbers virtually every game after Florida State .

Against Tulsa last night he missed every shot and all his free throws to be shut out in his 23 minutes on the floor.

Despite what Dannen and Dunleavy are saying the results say the team has quit on the coaches. Look for multiple transfers out if Dunleavy is not fired .
Pete, I've attended nearly every home game since early Conroy. I'm here to tell you that our kids are playing hard. What I saw last night (and what you may be referring to) was the team getting off to a competitive start and keeping it close for much of the first half. There was hustle and big energy on the bench. Then Tulsa began to sink some shots. Their terrible shooting became average and then good. Their top players who did not score in the first half, awoke and got back into the game. You could feel the change with our team. They went from "it's going to be different tonight" to "well hell...we can't run with these guys either." You can only lose so often and then you can't rally. Hustling, high-energy play does not equal precision execution. There's the rub and that's on Dunleavy.

I sit behind our bench. Right behind the bench. Twice last night I had a Tulsa player in my lap. I listen to the chatter during timeouts. I eavesdrop on Coach D as he talks to the team. They haven't quit. They play hard every game. Last night they lost hope once Tulsa got the seven point lead.

I would like to see Doug Stewart get a shot and Dunleavy be promoted to Coach Emiritus and join Scott Cowen with his presidential emiritus title. (Is it just me or does it seem as if the folks who got paid historically high salaries at Tulane contributed the least to our school.?) I like Coach Stewart and there is a definite closeness between him and the players. It's funny to point out that he was a professional 'loser' and played on a team for six years that never won a game (Washington Generals - the perennial punching-bag for the Harlem Globetrotters). Coach Stewart has some impressive recruiting credentials. I'd like to see him get a shot. I promise that he will do no worse. Keep Dunleavy for name appeal (?) and trot him out whenever you're romancing a recruit. Dunleavy can wow the kid's father (or perhaps grandfather) by telling war stories about Magic Johnson back in the day.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Zhang might have quit, but whether he has or not doesn’t matter—he’s not a very good player in either case. He is a very passive player and avoids physical contact whenever possible. He doesn’t rebound, and doesn’t play defense—of course that’s true for most of the team. If Zhang is to ever help our program, he has to get much stronger. All he currently does is float around the 3-point line and jack threes whenever possible. I can’t believe MD signed him—but I think he is averaging more than 2 ppg, which is better than one of MD’s “star” recruits coming next year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
Surge

Zhang received offers from UCLA, DePaul, BYU and Kansas State among others….Regarded as the best Chinese basketball prospect in America in 2018 by Flo Hoops. Attended the 2017 Basketball Without Borders Global Camp sponsored by the NBA and FIBA…Lettered three years at La Lumiere School (Ind.) for head coach Shane Heirman where he led the team to the 2017 Dick’s Sporting Goods High School National Championship and No. 1 ranking in the USA TODAY Super 25 with a 70-52 win over Montverde in the title game… Played alongside two McDonald’s All-Americans, Brian Bowen and Jaren Jackson, as La Lumiere totaled a record of 82-7 during his three years that also included a runner-up finish in the Dick’s Nationals and No. 3 final ranking in 2015-16…Listed as a three-star recruit by ESPN.com and Rivals.com
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He needs to get stronger mentally the same as he does physically.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

He is a true freshman. I am as critical on MD as anyone but relax on this kid. Jeez.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Zhang is what he is - a streaky shooter with some size who has the inconsistency of a freshman handicapped by a system that results in a lot of players standing around waiting for someone to do something. Unfortunately, what’s not inconsistent is his poor defense - some of the weakest close outs I’ve seen this season.

I agree that the players, including this young man, have not “quit”. They are just woefully under-coached and being put in disadvantageous positions. I echo the call to get the assistants more involved.

HS hype videos become irrelevant once you suit up for actual D1 games.
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:59 am Zhang is what he is - a streaky shooter with some size who has the inconsistency of a freshman handicapped by a system that results in a lot of players standing around waiting for someone to do something. Unfortunately, what’s not inconsistent is his poor defense - some of the weakest close outs I’ve seen this season.

I agree that the players, including this young man, have not “quit”. They are just woefully under-coached and being put in disadvantageous positions. I echo the call to get the assistants more involved.

HS hype videos become irrelevant once you suit up for actual D1 games.
agree that it is nearly impossible to know how good any of our players are offensively with the putrid offensive sets/plays we run. Seldom do we get good looks and when we do, their confidence must me shot. This isn't just the case this year without a good PG. It has been this way since the beginning.

Defensively, we are a bigger joke. Individually we may have some weaknesses in speed, athleticism, etc. But a good coach will make the team defense greater then the sum of the parts. instead, his man defense with little-to-no help principles exposes our players and provides an easy blueprint for our opponents.

So I'd like to see us not place blame on the players at all iI's not their fault they all look like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I completely agree that all the players are greatly handicapped by being grossly under coached by MD and his staff. But that’s no excuse for not being physical, setting picks and going after rebounds—all that is 90% hustle and desire.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I get the frustration but this particular thread is misguided and unfair.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:49 pm I get the frustration but this particular thread is misguided and unfair.
How is it misguided and unfair? College players always have been, and always will be subject to the evaluations, and yes criticisms, of fans. Much of what is said in this thread really speaks to MD's inadequate recruiting record as well as his complete failure to coach these players. But when it comes to a player mixing it up and putting forth effort, there are no excuses at the individual player level. Each player is receiving the huge benefits of a free ride at a great university, and they are here because they want to be here--nobody has a gun to their head. And most of all, the best way to mitigate criticism is to play better, or at least hustle and show mental desire.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:55 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:49 pm I get the frustration but this particular thread is misguided and unfair.
How is it misguided and unfair? College players always have been, and always will be subject to the evaluations, and yes criticisms, of fans. Much of what is said in this thread really speaks to MD's inadequate recruiting record as well as his complete failure to coach these players. But when it comes to a player mixing it up and putting forth effort, there are no excuses at the individual player level. Each player is receiving the huge benefits of a free ride at a great university, and they are here because they want to be here--nobody has a gun to their head. And most of all, the best way to mitigate criticism is to play better, or at least hustle and show mental desire.
Cause he is far and away not even the least of the problems with this team. He is a 19 true frosh thrust into a role he has no business being put in. He has had a solid freshman year including some unique breakout games, it’s not like he was some 5 star recruit. He doesn’t have the strength, foot speed or coaching to play D at this level, it is on the staff to develop that weakness. The entire team stinks defensively, calling out a true frosh being thrust into a role he should not be in is unfair.
I agree he needs to have more effort defensively but that is as much in the coaching as the player. He is just a offensive player.
There is a lot to complain about but Zhang is not one of them. Just my opinion.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm
Cause he is far and away not even the least of the problems with this team. He is a 19 true frosh thrust into a role he has no business being put in. He has had a solid freshman year including some unique breakout games, it’s not like he was some 5 star recruit. He doesn’t have the strength, foot speed or coaching to play D at this level, it is on the staff to develop that weakness. The entire team stinks defensively, calling out a true frosh being thrust into a role he should not be in is unfair.
I agree he needs to have more effort defensively but that is as much in the coaching as the player. He is just a offensive player.
d

mba, you make many valid points. But when it comes to a Zhang, we just have to agree to disagree. Zhang just doesn’t put forth the physical effort, and notwithstanding all the problems with this team, there is no excuse for that.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Another Zhanger against Houston : 0 for 5 from the field , 1 point and no rebounds in 16 minutes . This guy has BB problems way beyond coaching . He has no heart and is playing scared , afraid that any kind of contact will injure him . Hope Zhang is right behind Dunleavy and hope the door hits them both on the way out....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Could not agree more, and disagree with a certain poster that posts foolishness regularly and started this thread. Zhang was one of our most highly recruited frosh, and certainly has talent. The coaching staff has done little with his talent.

The whole team plays matador defense. Why single out a Freshman that's played hurt half the season and is no worse than the other 12 players on the roster at that end of the court?

How about teaching the team to make free throws? We're close to the bottom of the league in FT attempts (coaching--we don't get to the rim often) and FT percentage (again, coaching, and MD thinks he's the best shooting person in New Orleans.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Could not agree more, and disagree with a certain poster that posts foolishness regularly and started this thread. Zhang was one of our most highly recruited frosh, and certainly has talent. The coaching staff has done little with his talent.

The whole team plays matador defense. Why single out a Freshman that's played hurt half the season and is no worse than the other 12 players on the roster at that end of the court?

How about teaching the team to make free throws? We're close to the bottom of the league in FT attempts (coaching--we don't get to the rim often) and FT percentage (again, coaching, and MD thinks he's the best shooting person in New Orleans.)
With all the problems with this Bball program folks are going to start and continue a thread on a true frosh who has put up:
24 vs FSU
25 vs GSTU
25 vs Memphis

I mean seriously, get a grip. He has flaws but we are talking about a true freshman on a 4 win team. He seems to have hit a wall or wants out, I guess some of you would be happy losing him. Of all the things to bitch about, this is what some of u come up with?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm

With all the problems with this Bball program folks are going to start and continue a thread on a true frosh who has put up:
24 vs FSU
25 vs GSTU
25 vs Memphis

I mean seriously, get a grip. He has flaws but we are talking about a true freshman on a 4 win team. He seems to have hit a wall or wants out, I guess some of you would be happy losing him. Of all the things to bitch about, this is what some of u come up with?
I hope he does leave. He’s a massive recruiting mistake. Notwithstanding all the coaching and team level problems, most of our players still exert themselves—Zhang rarely breaks a sweat. There are freshmen throughout D1 who play hard and hustle, it’s not uncommon.
WavyHoops
High Tide

I agree that no single player should be singled out. All of the freshmen have had good moments and bad. While they all show some upside, none has the individual talent to succeed at the D1 level in anything other than a strongly coached, highly structured offensive and defensive system. In other words, there is no chance that they will succeed under Dunleavy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I also don’t believe in singling out a kid in college (especially a freshman) on a public forum. I believe only coaches and administration should take the heat.
With that said Zhang has been battling injuries all season but refuses to sit out. This 18 YEAR OLD is all guts.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am I agree that no single player should be singled out. All of the freshmen have had good moments and bad. While they all show some upside, none has the individual talent to succeed at the D1 level in anything other than a strongly coached, highly structured offensive and defensive system. In other words, there is no chance that they will succeed under Dunleavy.
+1

They are all setup for failure. You often hear pro scouts ding a player's talent rating if they believe the success was a bi-product of the system they are in. We have the opposite of that. Talent evaluators have to apply the reverse logic. Good example is Caleb Daniels. He turns the ball over a bunch and shooting percentage isn't that great. But put him in a system where he doesn't have to force the offense (since there is no real play calling) and he cuts down on both those negative stats. He's a really good player that may be great in another system but looks slightly above average in ours.

This is why we can't and shouldn't single out any players individually in this system. No player is flawless and all of their flaws are magnified by the pathetic coaching and system.
WavyHoops
High Tide

I don’t know if anyone else was masochistic enough to watch last night’s game, but if you did you heard the color guy call out Zhang for being soft (said he always looks to avoid contact). I’m sure that this guy is not such an avid follower of Tulane basketball that he drew that conclusion on his own. Probably getting it from someone on the coaching staff.