Tulane Sweeps the George Washington Series

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here we go:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/02/tul ... -says.html

A former player gave a nice rundown on GW on our Rivals site. They've been getting better the last couple of years. The did lose a good bit of their everyday line-up. Pitching wise they return all their weekend starters and their closer. Their coach was the hitting coach for Team USA this past summer.

Definitely a series we should win. Of course it would be great to get the sweep. Obviously the most exciting thing going into the season is the addition of Latham. We have a veteran club. Starting pitching should be solid. The bullpen is the big question. Offensively we need some guys to make a jump and for the team to be consistent at the plate. Defensively we are still light up the middle. Hopefully some of the freshman can come on at SS and catcher. Looking forward to it for now.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Where the hell is Muirfield IMG College?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A great start, thrilling victory, regardless of the ups and downs that brought the W home!

1-0 after facing a very a tough pitcher.

ROLL WAVE!
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’m sure I sound like a Debbie downer but I don’t feel any better about this season after that bullpen performance
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 pm I’m sure I sound like a Debbie downer but I don’t feel any better about this season after that bullpen performance
I totally get it and it almost turned into "same old same ole as last year". But it didn't. Let's hope Latham can get the back end of the bullpen to be as nasty as he was.

A win is a win. ROLL WAVE!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Got Lucky. Pulled out my phone and filmed the game winner.
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:38 pm I’m sure I sound like a Debbie downer but I don’t feel any better about this season after that bullpen performance
Not sure why but the umps strike zone shrunk for Pellerin. I wouldn’t worry much most of his pitches were right there. He throws a low strike and the ump favored high strikes. I have no doubt we’d lose this game last season.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good outing by Roper. Campbell and Pellerin are the two relievers Latham has talked up. Long season so they both have time to prove him right. I sit behind the plate. The ump wasn't the problem for Pellerin. He just wasn't getting it over the plate. Whelan got it done. Grant needs to go to DH. I'd like to see Haskin go to the outfield. I hope Ty Johnson is going to be ok. He stayed in after what looked like having a couple of fingers being pulled back in place. I was worried about our hitting going into this especially knowing pitching was their strength. We have a lot of work to do in that area.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pm Where the hell is Muirfield IMG College?
If you were listening to Graff on the broadcast, what you were heard him say was from "Greer Field/IMG College". Must be something IMG has required them to do. Not sure why, because it sounds really stupid and annoying. Does anyone know?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 am Walk-Off Error:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... a13da.html
Interesting nugget in this article:
“It’s one game, but It is concerning,” Jewett said. “I was probably most disappointed in the whole thing that he was a little bit sped up emotionally. I just didn’t think that he was in control of his mind. (New pitching) coach (Daniel) Latham was chipping at my heels to take him out, but if he’s going to be our guy, I wanted to give him a little bit of rope.”
He needs to trust his pitching coach.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Jaxwave
Swell

Seven walks given to GW. Won’t win many games that way.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:34 am

“It’s one game, but It is concerning,” Jewett said. “I was probably most disappointed in the whole thing that he was a little bit sped up emotionally. I just didn’t think that he was in control of his mind. (New pitching) coach (Daniel) Latham was chipping at my heels to take him out, but if he’s going to be our guy, I wanted to give him a little bit of rope.”
No doubt. What also concerned me was that we didn't have anybody warming up when Pellerin went in. In that close of a game you have to have someone ready in case he falters. Whelan impressed because he had to speed up his warm-up process and then came in and got it done.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 am

No doubt. What also concerned me was that we didn't have anybody warming up when Pellerin went in. In that close of a game you have to have someone ready in case he falters. Whelan impressed because he had to speed up his warm-up process and then came in and got it done.
Definitely needs to listen to Latham.

As for why there was nobody warning up when Pellerin went in, I’d say that’s pretty standard. When you put your closer in the bullpen is going to be empty in most cases. Coaches want to avoid at all costs having a reliever warm up but not come in to the game.
Bigschtick
Riptide

What was the attendance like for the first game of the season? Hopefully, not
the usual anemic turnout.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:35 am
winwave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 am

Definitely needs to listen to Latham.

As for why there was nobody warning up when Pellerin went in, I’d say that’s pretty standard. When you put your closer in the bullpen is going to be empty in most cases. Coaches want to avoid at all costs having a reliever warm up but not come in to the game.
I hear ya on what is the usual practice there. However knowing this team the way we do and with it being such a tight game this is a situation where someone should have been down there at least getting loose. I said that to those I was with before Pellerin even threw his first pitch.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A great win for the Green Wave in game 2 of the season. Fighting back from a 3 run deficit to start the game, the Wave was able to pull one out. Not an easy win, but at least we have a chance for a sweep tomorrow.

ROLL WAVE!
Houma de Wave
Swell

Freshman Krishna Raj was excellent in relief and got the win. He gave us a chance to win after every inning he pitched.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s your game winner:

Tulane Class of 1981
Forever TU
Surge

It’s actually “Learfield-IMG College”. Learfield is a sports property sales and marketing management group similar to The Aspire Group that I worked for on behalf of Tulane. They bought IMG Media.

https://www.learfield.com/2018/12/learf ... te-merger/
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 am
DfromCT wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pm Where the hell is Muirfield IMG College?
If you were listening to Graff on the broadcast, what you were heard him say was from "Greer Field/IMG College". Must be something IMG has required them to do. Not sure why, because it sounds really stupid and annoying. Does anyone know?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

A win is a win. No doubt hey have fight in them. They answered all game long. Of course we'd like it to be much prettier . Raj was quite the find. On top of what he did for us tonight is that he saved all those arms for tomorrow. Thanks Krishna. Great job. The team owes him a sweep. Our outfielders owe our pitching staff an apology and much better performance going forward.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik
Surge

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:15 pm Freshman Krishna Raj was excellent in relief and got the win. He gave us a chance to win after every inning he pitched.

BIG + 1.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The victory slap!
Tulane Class of 1981