Temple Beats Tulane 75-67

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is at 5 on ESPN3:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... c5d8f.html

Temple is favored by 11.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

Oddsshark.com computer game simulation predicts a Tulane cover, losing only 79-70. <golf clap>
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Nice start.

Cornish has given up.
greenie78
Riptide

Need to stop letting boosters make coaching decisions.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Another loss. 4-17 0-9.
We did beat the spread of 9. Lost by 8. :(
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That terrible start killed us. As usual Daniels played his butt off. We just never could overcome that opening deficit.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

The guys played hard and no one ever gave up. With the 2 Africans apparently hurt, they only dressed out 9 and one was Galic, who never plays. Essentially, they had 8 available players. Also, watching Ona Embo shoot 3s at half, he would lift his left leg completely off the floor and shoot only off the right; like he can't put any weight on the left at all.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Biggest crowd of the year. Loudest crowd of the year. The atmosphere was far better than anything we've seen in a while. Student turnout was great and they remained for the entire game. Parker Waters made the comment before the game: "what's up with this enthusiasm"? Devlin was as good as you would expect it to be if our team needed this game to advance in a tournament. Players gave it everything they had. Daniels had his best game of the year.

The question with the answer that most of us know hangs in the air. Why are we not winning games?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 pm Biggest crowd of the year. Loudest crowd of the year. The atmosphere was far better than anything we've seen in a while. Student turnout was great and they remained for the entire game. Parker Waters made the comment before the game: "what's up with this enthusiasm"? Devlin was as good as you would expect it to be if our team needed this game to advance in a tournament. Players gave it everything they had. Daniels had his best game of the year.

The question with the answer that most of us know hangs in the air. Why are we not winning games?
Tulane East coast students have a history of coming out and watching Tulane play teams from the East. I’m sure many attended today because we were playing Temple.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There was a sign in sheet for the fraternities and sororities . Clearly they intended to drive up attendance and it worked.
WavyHoops
High Tide

tpstulane wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 pm Biggest crowd of the year. Loudest crowd of the year. The atmosphere was far better than anything we've seen in a while. Student turnout was great and they remained for the entire game. Parker Waters made the comment before the game: "what's up with this enthusiasm"? Devlin was as good as you would expect it to be if our team needed this game to advance in a tournament. Players gave it everything they had. Daniels had his best game of the year.

Tulane East coast students have a history of coming out and watching Tulane play teams from the East. I’m sure many attended today because we were playing Temple.
I agree about the east coast coast thing but it’s also just a recognizable college basketball brand and a good game time. Today’s Tulane students are far more likely to support a successful hoops team than anything else. The potential is there. Which is why the complete faceplant of a program is so depressing.
Eaglewave
Swell

And the beat goes on!
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Who cares why students show up or where those that show up at any given game come from? This local bias against the students from the Northeast is counter productive, as Tulane will always have a significant percentage of students from the Northeast.

Paul Tulane was from New Jersey. If you don't like students/fans/alumni from the Northeast, I suggest finding another team to root for.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
WavyHoops
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 am Who cares why students show up or where those that show up at any given game come from? This local bias against the students from the Northeast is counter productive, as Tulane will always have a significant percentage of students from the Northeast.

Paul Tulane was from New Jersey. If you don't like students/fans/alumni from the Northeast, I suggest finding another team to root for.
I have zero bias against kids from the northeast. I’m from the northeast! My point is that kids from places outside of the south may be more attracted to a successful basketball program than football or baseball and therefore the complete dumpster fire of a basketball program is a particular disapppintment because a strong Tulane team would pack out Devlin and be super fun for everyone.
GreenLantern
Riptide

This crossed my mind last night as I was enjoying the best atmosphere of any basketball game this year (albeit while losing):

What if our administration decides that last night's Devlin was good enough? We've got a somewhat famous coach and he looks impressive on the pre-game video board. We had a great crowd. At times, the level of noise actually hurt my ears. The student turnout was very good and I've never heard them more vocal. You know, shirts-off-Tulane-spelled-across-the-guys'-chests enthusiasm.

Of course we lost the game, but what if the decision-makers decide that last night is all we need? Replicate that atmosphere at each home game and don't stress about winning. Don't gauge our success by wins and losses buy by crowd-involvement. Please tell me this won't happen.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 am Who cares why students show up or where those that show up at any given game come from? This local bias against the students from the Northeast is counter productive, as Tulane will always have a significant percentage of students from the Northeast.

And would your suggestions be storrs and Orlando based ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GL, I understand your concern. But Troy Dannen has been all about being held accountable, so to me that means wins and losses matter. I cannot see having a crowd approaching 2500 rowdy fans as a positive measuring stick for a team that might not win 5 games.

I'm glad that it was a great night and that the atmosphere was not as morbid as our record. The fans deserve it and so do the players. The coaching staff has clearly failed their mission by any and all accounts, and needs to be replaced. Basketball could and should be a "front porch" sport for Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:30 pm

And would your suggestions be storrs and Orlando based ?
No, Pete, for you I would suggest UNO, or maybe LSU-A.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm This crossed my mind last night as I was enjoying the best atmosphere of any basketball game this year (albeit while losing):

What if our administration decides that last night's Devlin was good enough? We've got a somewhat famous coach and he looks impressive on the pre-game video board. We had a great crowd. At times, the level of noise actually hurt my ears. The student turnout was very good and I've never heard them more vocal. You know, shirts-off-Tulane-spelled-across-the-guys'-chests enthusiasm.

Of course we lost the game, but what if the decision-makers decide that last night is all we need? Replicate that atmosphere at each home game and don't stress about winning. Don't gauge our success by wins and losses buy by crowd-involvement. Please tell me this won't happen.
It won't happen. As I posted above they had a table set up by the student entrance with sign in sheets for all of the fraternities and sororities. They clearly had a contest going on It was a fun atmosphere but it's likely the last time for this season.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 am
GreenLantern wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm This crossed my mind last night as I was enjoying the best atmosphere of any basketball game this year (albeit while losing):

It won't happen. As I posted above they had a table set up by the student entrance with sign in sheets for all of the fraternities and sororities. They clearly had a contest going on It was a fun atmosphere but it's likely the last time for this season.
I grew up in the northeast and have always been a big college b-ball fan, let’s just say that Temple was never a big draw for opponents fans. Current TU students have no memory of Temple being a constant NCAA threat and I don,t think there r a ton of philly students either. Something else must have been at play in regards to the attendance spike.
Good news is it shows how Devlin can be a huge asset, bad news is the students saw another loss and will not be back.
I am convinced that the talent level is better than the record.
gbgreenie
Surge

Give it up Dunleavy neysayers he ain't going any where this year or next, what don't you understand, you won't bully that decision from Dannon because it just won't happen. Are you that dense (pardon the expression ladies like dumb blondes nothing between your ears) to see the whole picture unfolding it starts with recruiting. Injuries particularly at point guard can cripple any team. Just give it up all you are doing is shoot blanks. GEEZZZZ
GreenLantern
Riptide

This according to Tulane basketball's Twitter account: 3rd highest overall attendance and 3rd highest student attendance in 10 years. It was fun. Now if only...
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveMBB/status ... 2075582466
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 am all you are doing is shoot blanks.
Then we have a whole lot in common with Dunleavy's teams.