Tulane/LSU FB Camp 2019

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's a whole lot more than 1/10th of 1% alumni that care about the fact that Tulane was the original University of Louisiana, and continues to be the only University in the state of Louisiana that can rightfully claim that designation.

I have nothing against the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. But they are not The University of Louisiana.

To honor Steve's request to get back on topic, let's go back to discussing if we benefit more by hosting camps with Big 12 programs (and getting reciprocity in TX and OK) than we would continuing with LSU. I don't think having Ed O at Yulman last spring had anything to do with McMillan coming to Tulane.

What do the rest of you think?
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:23 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:27 am Fritz still has not been able to consistently put away 6-6 or worse and/or OOC G5 teams, and, until that occurs, it's difficult to be overly optimistic that Tulane is going to have a game changing season.

At this exact moment, I'm not confident that Tulane would be perfect against FIU, @Army, @SMU, Tulsa, @Navy, @Temple, FCS (obviously), and UConn, and, without being perfect against those teams, it would hard for Tulane to take the next step.

It's true that Tulane was in contention for an AAC West division title, but, at the same time, it is also true that the 2018 AAC West was probably the worst version of that division since the conference created divisions.
You’re correct we won’t win all of those games. But we will win a few games we are underdogs in as well. Every year we win 2-3 games we are massive underdogs in: usually alternates between Memphis/Houston/USF. This year I believe it will be 3 wins coming from Army/Auburn/UCF/Houston/Memphis/Temple.
I truly believe we take a big step. Our defense is a year older and has proven to be well coached and disruptive. Our special teams is adequate and shouldn’t cost us any games. And our offense is the last piece of the puzzle and has all of the tools and playmakers necessary in a system that literally can only Get better. The OC was the last piece and given he attracted major interest from legit programs I think it’s safe to assume he’ll be a step up.

::green tinted glasses on::
Haha I hear you.

This will be do or die time for a high win total and a high profile win or two, as the AAC West still appears down (Memphis lost both coordinators, Houston has a new coach, Tulsa didn't fire Montgomery, Navy needs a QB, and SMU is SMU), Tulane should be competitive in its own right, and Tulane has opportunities against Auburn/UCF/etc.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Let's face da facts.... Any "regional" kid that LSU is interested in they will see and it will not have to happen at Yulman....bring in UT, OU, OSU one year...the next bring in Clemson, North Carolina, Ga Tech....these two conferences are the only hope Tulane has if and when expansion ever occurs
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 am Let's face da facts.... Any "regional" kid that LSU is interested in they will see and it will not have to happen at Yulman....bring in UT, OU, OSU one year...the next bring in Clemson, North Carolina, Ga Tech....these two conferences are the only hope Tulane has if and when expansion ever occurs
+1,000. Give the Big XII and ACC a test drive. First offer gets the car.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:17 am Let's face da facts.... Any "regional" kid that LSU is interested in they will see and it will not have to happen at Yulman....bring in UT, OU, OSU one year...the next bring in Clemson, North Carolina, Ga Tech....these two conferences are the only hope Tulane has if and when expansion ever occurs
now ya talkin' like Mac Haik...who, by the way, caught the first professional TD Pass in Astrodome History
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am
now ya talkin' like Mac Haik...who, by the way, caught the first professional TD Pass in Astrodome History
An Ole Miss star. Who threw the pass? Beathard or Trull or Pastorini?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 am
Pete Beathard, I believe, threw that pass. The Oilers lost the game, though, something like 27-21.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:27 pm
Pete Beathard, I believe, threw that pass. The Oilers lost the game, though, something like 27-21.
http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_caught_the ... _astrodome

there is also a mistake on that site...it quotes Mickey mantle htting the first HR in the Astrodome...that is not true, Jimmy Wynn hit a HR the prior nite against the Astro's AAA team..
nawlinspete
Riptide

We cannot "bring in" we would have to beg to get those teams to Yulman for a camp .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:27 pm
The Oilers lost most their games back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The same era when a depressed Oiler fan flipped off the nation on Monday Night Football, and Don Meredith immediately said “I guess he thinks the Oilers are #1.”
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 pm
We cannot "bring in" we would have to beg to get those teams to Yulman for a camp .
Pete, I think you would be surprised at how easy it would be to get teams from those conferences to hold a camp in NOLA...especially OU and OSU who primarilly have to recruit the state of Texas for their players
nawlinspete
Riptide

If Big12 and ACC teams are so eager to establish a front in nawlins why are their teams not regular opponents of ours home and away and why are they not already scheduled to camp with us in nawlins and at their campuses ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 am If Big12 and ACC teams are so eager to establish a front in nawlins why are their teams not regular opponents of ours home and away and why are they not already scheduled to camp with us in nawlins and at their campuses ?
Pete, the answer is simple, in regards to both OU and Ok State about 80 percent of their players are from Texas and I think they would welcome the chance to hi lite their programs in NOLA., hell if it were not for the players from Texas both of those programs would be KANSAS... I bet TD has never even contacted them in regards to a camp, ...on a different front Michigan was to come to town but LSU used some political pull, can't believe that actually happens in NOLA ,so the invite was withdrawn
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 am
nawlinspete wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 am If Big12 and ACC teams are so eager to establish a front in nawlins why are their teams not regular opponents of ours home and away and why are they not already scheduled to camp with us in nawlins and at their campuses ?
Pete, the answer is simple, in regards to both OU and Ok State about 80 percent of their players are from Texas and I think they would welcome the chanvce to hi lite their programs in NOLA., hell if it were not for the players from Texas both of those programs would be KANSAS... I bet TD has never even contacted them in regards to a camp, ...on a different front Michigan was to come to town but LSU used some political pull, can't believe that actually happens in NOLA ,so the invite was withdrawn
So , what you just said says nothing . Other than Michigan no other has expressed interest in camping that we know of . Kudos to The Ohio State and Auburn for playing us but only Oklahoma has been willing to play us here . So what needs to happen Mr Dannen ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 am
Pete, the answer is simple, in regards to both OU and Ok State about 80 percent of their players are from Texas and I think they would welcome the chanvce to hi lite their programs in NOLA., hell if it were not for the players from Texas both of those programs would be KANSAS... I bet TD has never even contacted them in regards to a camp, ...on a different front Michigan was to come to town but LSU used some political pull, can't believe that actually happens in NOLA ,so the invite was withdrawn
So , what you just said says nothing . Other than Michigan no other has expressed interest in camping that we know of . Kudos to The Ohio State and Auburn for playing us but only Oklahoma has been willing to play us here . So what needs to happen Mr Dannen ?
pete, I may be mistaken, but I think there was more than Michigan involved with the camp, I cannot remember the names so I did not post those I was not certain of
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Oklahoma, is comin' to NOLA to play Tulane....I wonda what value they see in that ?!?!?...just one more validation to invite them to a jointly held camp...I was going to post a joint camp, but I don't think that is legal yet in Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 am Oklahoma, is comin' to NOLA to play Tulane....I wonda what value they see in that ?!?!?...just one more validation to invite them to a jointly held camp...I was going to post a joint camp, but I don't think that is legal yet in Louisiana
That’s remains to be seen. There’s always a buyout possibility.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Some of the thinking reminds me of this story....After a hard days work, a man comes home throws open the door and there stands his lovely Wife in her latest Victoria Secrets outfit, she hands him his favorite Adult Beverage and says...'Darling I am so glad you are finally home, I want you so much and tonite when we make wild passionate love I want to try this postion"......The man takes the beverage, steps back all agast and replies....'That position, we can't, we've never done it that way before " !!!!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Michigan all wanted to camp in Louisiana at one school or another. Why would Tulane turn down the opportunity to partner with any of them for the benefit of LSU?
wave97
Swell

The correlation between the decades-long decrease in manufacturing employment of the industrial Mid-West & Northeast and the surge of industrial productivity in right to work States plays itself out in the supply of football talent,
We couldn't be in a better region of the country for football recruiting. We need to bring in talent from the region and supplement w/ Louisiana kids for the time being.
If Coach O wants to "lock down Louisiana" let him. We won't be able to change the decision making process of a gifted 18 year old South Louisiana prospect any more than urinating in a fan until we prove our competence by winning on the field. Until that happens it's Bebe's World and any attempt to bring in p-5 rivals can only be perceived as churlish petulance that plays into way too many Tulane tropes.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm interested to see if we sign any additional recruits this coming Wednesday. I believe we have 3 or 4 scholarships available.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am I'm interested to see if we sign any additional recruits this coming Wednesday. I believe we have 3 or 4 scholarships available.
I think there will be two signed, with two schollies available for projected May Grad Transfers
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 am I'm interested to see if we sign any additional recruits this coming Wednesday. I believe we have 3 or 4 scholarships available.

Duh , get a life .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 am

Duh , get a life .
c'mon Pete...it's Bogus Bowl Day.... D/CT has a life as does his children... I will also be interested to see what happens with the 4 rides that are available