Tulane/LSU FB Camp 2019

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 am
wave97 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:12 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 am Meh. LSU. If a kid wants to go to LSU, and vice versa, 70 miles doesn't make any difference. Let's face it, we're never getting back into the SEC. So why not host this with Texas or someone from the Big12? Let them see the value of Tulane, first by recruiting talent in the SEC's backyard at a camp like this, then who knows..
Good point. Also as touched on above I hate to see us bowing down to LSU and therefore lumping ourselves in with the other lesser schools in the state. It's time to go a different way.
"It's time to go a different way."
When it is undeniably clear to all in-state recruits that we have separated ourselves by performance on the field, Until then, we suck it up.
By sucking up we'll continue to suck. We aren't getting anything worthwhile out of it.
So, If we suck up to Oklahoma & Texas we'll get an invite to the Big12?
We're on the rise but it takes a lot to get rid of 60 years of stink & there are only two things that matter at this time;
1: Great leadership
The BOT, President Fitts & the Athletic Dept. retention/hiring.
2: Signature wins
When was the last time that Tulane Football beat anybody team that had any meaning to the people of New Orleans? When was the last time Tulane had a compelling schedule and won? We have a handful of ooc games in the next 4 to 5 years that will provide us with an opportunity to change people's perception of Tulane Football.
We need to win.
Never said to suck up to them. We have a scheduled game with OU. We don't with LSU. So partner with those that show some respect rather than clearly being LSU's bitch in this situation. More importantly as I said the current path doesn't benefit us so try a different one and see what comes of it.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

a simple name change solution...or shoud i say an expansio of a name...if LA Laf can be LA Laf...then Tulane should, as it is, bill itself as Tulane Univeristy of Louisiana
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:53 am
wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 am
wave97 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:12 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 am Meh. LSU. If a kid wants to go to LSU, and vice versa, 70 miles doesn't make any difference. Let's face it, we're never getting back into the SEC. So why not host this with Texas or someone from the Big12? Let them see the value of Tulane, first by recruiting talent in the SEC's backyard at a camp like this, then who knows..
Good point. Also as touched on above I hate to see us bowing down to LSU and therefore lumping ourselves in with the other lesser schools in the state. It's time to go a different way.
"It's time to go a different way."
When it is undeniably clear to all in-state recruits that we have separated ourselves by performance on the field, Until then, we suck it up.
By sucking up we'll continue to suck. We aren't getting anything worthwhile out of it.
So, If we suck up to Oklahoma & Texas we'll get an invite to the Big12?
We're on the rise but it takes a lot to get rid of 60 years of stink & there are only two things that matter at this time;
1: Great leadership
The BOT, President Fitts & the Athletic Dept. retention/hiring.
2: Signature wins
When was the last time that Tulane Football beat anybody team that had any meaning to the people of New Orleans? When was the last time Tulane had a compelling schedule and won? We have a handful of ooc games in the next 4 to 5 years that will provide us with an opportunity to change people's perception of Tulane Football.
We need to win.
Never said to suck up to them. We have a scheduled game with OU. We don't with LSU. So partner with those that show some respect rather than clearly being LSU's bitch in this situation. More importantly as I said the current path doesn't benefit us so try a different one and see what comes of it.
And, never forget, what LSU giveth, LSU can taketh away. We must never be on a "leash" to LSU. And, we must never forget, LSU hates us.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:54 pm a simple name change solution...or shoud i say an expansio of a name...if LA Laf can be LA Laf...then Tulane should, as it is, bill itself as Tulane Univeristy of Louisiana
The official name of the University, as it states on my diploma, is:

The Tulane University of Louisiana.

The only "Land Grant State University" in the history of our nation to go private.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
oliveandblue
Surge

Let the Cajuns own Univ of Louisiana....

....we are Tulane. That's who we are and we need no further validation in state.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Above all i believe Coach knows best. However it would make me extremely happy to partner with a good academic university & football powerhouse to throw the middle finger to LSU. Hurting them makes us stronger ( or atleast gives us a better opportunity being stronger). I would love Texas, Michigan, Stanford or USC to come in and partner with us.

I definitely agree that our next big step as a program to put some more butts in the seats is a signature/statement win. Does beating Auburn, UCF or a ranked Army Accomplish that next year ? I would say Auburn- yes, UCF-maybe and Army- No. Thoughts ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Auburn would be a statement win for us. If UCF is good again next season and there's certainly reason to think they will be that would be a statement win too. Army would not be.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The West Point daunting 2019 Football Schedule
https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/01 ... 9-analysis
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think we did benefit by hosting a camp with LSU. Fritz has a good relationship with Coach O. That probably put us on the radar with Justin McMillan. He transfers to us, goes 5-1 as a starter, otherwise we have another losing season. Instead, Tulane football is starting to gain momentum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The camp had nothing to do with him coming here. LSU shut him out of going to an SEC school. He didn't let them have a say in where he did go.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 pm I feel much the same way that those that expressed opinions do: Why should Tulane do anything to benefit LSU when they treat us like dirt? I would invite Jim Harbaugh back, or, a better strategy would be rotating with Big 12 schools (and hopefully get some reciprocity as well.)

It seems to me that Camping with Ed B. is more beneficial to LSU than Tulane, so we should end it after this year, unless things change.
Completely agree. And next time we make a pitch to the Big XII, offer to hold a camp, alternating every other year, with every school in the conference. Put our New Orleans-based recruiting advantage front and center.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:39 pm The West Point daunting 2019 Football Schedule
Wow! Tulane may be their only loss.
nawlinspete
Riptide

More important than winning a handful of "name" ooc games is winning a shit load of games, period .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I agree but Army is starting the year in the top 25, and is getting some national love. I am sure we are penciled in as an easy win by their fans and the national media. I fully intend to put a decent amount of money on the over for the Tulane Win season total next year is it’s less then 7.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm More important than winning a handful of "name" ooc games is winning a shit load of games, period .
That’s an interesting question- win 7 and beat Auburn ? Or win 10 against the weaker teams on our schedule ?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 pm More important than winning a handful of "name" ooc games is winning a shit load of games, period .
That’s an interesting question- win 7 and beat Auburn ? Or win 10 against the weaker teams on our schedule ?
I'm confident that if we were to defeat Auburn, the rest of the season would take care of itself.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree, but that's a HUGE IF!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Fritz still has not been able to consistently put away 6-6 or worse and/or OOC G5 teams, and, until that occurs, it's difficult to be overly optimistic that Tulane is going to have a game changing season.

At this exact moment, I'm not confident that Tulane would be perfect against FIU, @Army, @SMU, Tulsa, @Navy, @Temple, FCS (obviously), and UConn, and, without being perfect against those teams, it would hard for Tulane to take the next step.

It's true that Tulane was in contention for an AAC West division title, but, at the same time, it is also true that the 2018 AAC West was probably the worst version of that division since the conference created visions.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:01 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:54 pm a simple name change solution...or shoud i say an expansio of a name...if LA Laf can be LA Laf...then Tulane should, as it is, bill itself as Tulane Univeristy of Louisiana

The only "Land Grant State University" in the history of our nation to go private.
Love ya D, but serious question. What percentage of Tulane alums identify the "University of Louisiana" aspect of Tulane? I am relatively informed on Tulane's past and it never resonated with me. I just don't know the value of fighting this battle. Let ULL have it.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am

Love ya D, but serious question. What percentage of Tulane alums identify the "University of Louisiana" aspect of Tulane? I am relatively informed on Tulane's past and it never resonated with me. I just don't know the value of fighting this battle. Let ULL have it.
then University of Lousiana Monroe (ULM) has the same right to call itself "Louisiana"...but then again, why cloud the issue with FACT
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:39 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:39 pm The West Point daunting 2019 Football Schedule
Wow! Tulane may be their only loss.
Tulane will be a significant underdog on Oct 5th at beautiful West Point.

Army will be a significant underdog September 7th in beautiful Ann Arbor.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It bothers me because it's a piece of our history and a neat little piece of trivia that gets minimized if UL-L calls themselves University of Louisiana. I have zero argument if they go with plain old "Louisiana" as they have been the past few years. "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns" has been their attempt at branding, and it's been pretty successful. I will still call them UL-L as others will call them USL.

I don't know how others feel, but for whatever reason, valid or not that's how I feel.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:27 am Fritz still has not been able to consistently put away 6-6 or worse and/or OOC G5 teams, and, until that occurs, it's difficult to be overly optimistic that Tulane is going to have a game changing season.

At this exact moment, I'm not confident that Tulane would be perfect against FIU, @Army, @SMU, Tulsa, @Navy, @Temple, FCS (obviously), and UConn, and, without being perfect against those teams, it would hard for Tulane to take the next step.

It's true that Tulane was in contention for an AAC West division title, but, at the same time, it is also true that the 2018 AAC West was probably the worst version of that division since the conference created visions.
You’re correct we won’t win all of those games. But we will win a few games we are underdogs in as well. Every year we win 2-3 games we are massive underdogs in: usually alternates between Memphis/Houston/USF. This year I believe it will be 3 wins coming from Army/Auburn/UCF/Houston/Memphis/Temple.
I truly believe we take a big step. Our defense is a year older and has proven to be well coached and disruptive. Our special teams is adequate and shouldn’t cost us any games. And our offense is the last piece of the puzzle and has all of the tools and playmakers necessary in a system that literally can only Get better. The OC was the last piece and given he attracted major interest from legit programs I think it’s safe to assume he’ll be a step up.

::green tinted glasses on::
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am

then University of Lousiana Monroe (ULM) has the same right to call itself "Louisiana"...but then again, why cloud the issue with FACT
That's really the only battle in this discussion ULM vs ULL. ULL is clearly the #2 state school in LA with 20k students vs ULM's 8500. ULL needs all the help they can get. Though they are not ranked by US News, they actually do a decent amount of research and have some quality STEM programs.
Like I said, I think branding ULL as the University of Louisiana would help to attract better students and thus help the local economy. I fail to see how this branding adversely effects TU, outside of the 0.1% of TU alums who like the old story.
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:25 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am

That's really the only battle in this discussion ULM vs ULL. ULL is clearly the #2 state school in LA with 20k students vs ULM's 8500. ULL needs all the help they can get. Though they are not ranked by US News, they actually do a decent amount of research and have some quality STEM programs.
Like I said, I think branding ULL as the University of Louisiana would help to attract better students and thus help the local economy. I fail to see how this branding adversely effects TU, outside of the 0.1% of TU alums who like the old story.
Actually, for La. state universities, La. Tech is no. 2, not ULALA. For all Louisiana universities Tulane has had no peer since its founding as the Universty of Louisiana in 1834.