Tulane/LSU FB Camp 2019

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

More info to follow

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm very curious to gauge the group reaction to this.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Condition precedent should be the "owed' game in New Orleans .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We did this last summer and I thought it got us on the radar for recruits that LSU wasn't going after. Then our class only had a few in-state recruits, so I don't know how successful it was last year. What do others think?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am We did this last summer and I thought it got us on the radar for recruits that LSU wasn't going after. Then our class only had a few in-state recruits, so I don't know how successful it was last year. What do others think?
This.

Unless Tulane is going to aim for 75% Louisiana players, it would probably be better off hosting a camp with Texas, Texas A&M, or Oklahoma that would bring in a lot more recruits from a wider geographic region than only the local recruits that would likely show up for LSU given that LSU has several camps in-state.

For reference purposes, Tulane's 2019 class has 4/18 recruits from Louisiana with one of those being a 2 star recruit.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 am We did this last summer and I thought it got us on the radar for recruits that LSU wasn't going after. Then our class only had a few in-state recruits, so I don't know how successful it was last year. What do others think?
This.

Unless Tulane is going to aim for 75% Louisiana players, it would probably be better off hosting a camp with Texas, Texas A&M, or Oklahoma that would bring in a lot more recruits from a wider geographic region than only the local recruits that would likely show up for LSU given that LSU has several camps in-state.

For reference purposes, Tulane's 2019 class has 4/18 recruits from Louisiana with one of those being a 2 star recruit.
IDK, it feels really scummy that LSU constantly craps on TU and then we help them. The recent change in baseball scheduling was very very dirty. TU should not be treated like the rest of the LA schools.

As far as the camp, well if you are a local recruit you can easily attend any LSU camp but I do believe more people would come out if we were sharing Yulman with Texas or Michigan as that would present the recruit with a different exposure opportunity. In the end I guess you have to trust Fritz, I think he truly understands the recruiting landscape. I just hope they re-evaluate the situation each year.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Meh. LSU. If a kid wants to go to LSU, and vice versa, 70 miles doesn't make any difference. Let's face it, we're never getting back into the SEC. So why not host this with Texas or someone from the Big12? Let them see the value of Tulane, first by recruiting talent in the SEC's backyard at a camp like this, then who knows..
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 am Meh. LSU. If a kid wants to go to LSU, and vice versa, 70 miles doesn't make any difference. Let's face it, we're never getting back into the SEC. So why not host this with Texas or someone from the Big12? Let them see the value of Tulane, first by recruiting talent in the SEC's backyard at a camp like this, then who knows..
Good point. Also as touched on above I hate to see us bowing down to LSU and therefore lumping ourselves in with the other lesser schools in the state. It's time to go a different way.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 am Meh. LSU. If a kid wants to go to LSU, and vice versa, 70 miles doesn't make any difference. Let's face it, we're never getting back into the SEC. So why not host this with Texas or someone from the Big12? Let them see the value of Tulane, first by recruiting talent in the SEC's backyard at a camp like this, then who knows..
Good point. Also as touched on above I hate to see us bowing down to LSU and therefore lumping ourselves in with the other lesser schools in the state. It's time to go a different way.
+1,, if we only get 4 Louisiana football recruits next year, then we should end it. But, ultimately I think it will be WF's call. We now have almost no relationship with LSU for sports other than for WBB. and recall this year we beat LSU @ B.R. 56 to 54, and that is not supposed to happen. :o

And, we won 5 of our last 6 baseball games against LSU, and look where that got us?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I feel much the same way that those that expressed opinions do: Why should Tulane do anything to benefit LSU when they treat us like dirt? I would invite Jim Harbaugh back, or, a better strategy would be rotating with Big 12 schools (and hopefully get some reciprocity as well.)

It seems to me that Camping with Ed B. is more beneficial to LSU than Tulane, so we should end it after this year, unless things change.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

"It's time to go a different way."
When it is undeniably clear to all in-state recruits that we have separated ourselves by performance on the field, Until then, we suck it up.
swampnik
Surge

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:00 pm Condition precedent should be the "owed' game in New Orleans .
+1000
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
TURVS71
Swell

Folks, this will take care of itself. All that has to happen is if/when Tulane steals a top recruit from lsu, then they will cancel all future camps with us. It will go the way of football, basketball and baseball......
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:12 pm
When it is undeniably clear to all in-state recruits that we have separated ourselves by performance on the field, Until then, we suck it up.
"time to go a different way"....University of Texas @ Austin contacted Texas A&M recently so they could renew their rivalary...A&M' response; "Texas A&M University, has moved on, it has postioned itself for better overall and more lucrative opportunities in all sports, and we wish UT the best of luck in the future"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

By sucking up we'll continue to suck. We aren't getting anything worthwhile out of it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 pm Folks, this will take care of itself. All that has to happen is if/when Tulane steals a top recruit from lsu, then they will cancel all future camps with us. It will go the way of football, basketball and baseball......
Still some smoldering embers: LSU BB coach did acquiesce to play the exhibition game last year which Wave won. This week we can look forward to Greenie tennis taking a bite out of the Tigers.
Small potatoes maybe, but still....
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 am
TURVS71 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 pm Folks, this will take care of itself. All that has to happen is if/when Tulane steals a top recruit from lsu, then they will cancel all future camps with us. It will go the way of football, basketball and baseball......
Still some smoldering embers: LSU BB coach did acquiesce to play the exhibition game last year which Wave won. This week we can look forward to Greenie tennis taking a bite out of the Tigers.
Small potatoes maybe, but still....
I am not privvy to all of the records, but I think that over the last 6 years, in ALL sports, LSU has a losing record against Tulane
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:29 am
By sucking up we'll continue to suck. We aren't getting anything worthwhile out of it.
So, If we suck up to Oklahoma & Texas we'll get an invite to the Big12?
We're on the rise but it takes a lot to get rid of 60 years of stink & there are only two things that matter at this time;
1: Great leadership
The BOT, President Fitts & the Athletic Dept. retention/hiring.
2: Signature wins
When was the last time that Tulane Football beat anybody team that had any meaning to the people of New Orleans? When was the last time Tulane had a compelling schedule and won? We have a handful of ooc games in the next 4 to 5 years that will provide us with an opportunity to change people's perception of Tulane Football.
We need to win.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 amSo, If we suck up to Oklahoma & Texas we'll get an invite to the Big12?
More than likely no. But at least we were mentioned in their expansion talks a while back. What is the benefit of teaming up with LSU over a B12 school?
Roll Wave!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am
wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 amSo, If we suck up to Oklahoma & Texas we'll get an invite to the Big12?
More than likely no. But at least we were mentioned in their expansion talks a while back. What is the benefit of teaming up with LSU over a B12 school?
Tulane Folded....Texas, OU Michigan, Fla State all wanted to come and camp with Tulane...Tulane bent over took it up the butt, because Coach O complained to a few politicans, the same ones who sold Tulane down the road with the Yulman construction
Aberzombie1892
Swell

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am
We're on the rise but it takes a lot to get rid of 60 years of stink & there are only two things that matter at this time;
When was the last time that Tulane Football beat anybody team that had any meaning to the people of New Orleans? When was the last time Tulane had a compelling schedule and won? We have a handful of ooc games in the next 4 to 5 years that will provide us with an opportunity to change people's perception of Tulane Football.
We need to win.
The goal in separating Tulane from LSU and aligning with the Big 12 is not necessarily to get a Big 12 invite, even though it would be a nice bonus. Instead, the goal is to weaken LSU's stranglehold on Louisiana recruiting.

As of now, the state of Louisiana has a culture in which recruits that receive an LSU offer generally do not turn that offer down outside of a handful fo exceptions, and, because that is the case, the goal with Tulane would be to weaken that culture by introducing more competition and thereby changing the culture to allow for general acceptance of recruits choosing to go to programs other than LSU. This should benefit Tulane on the recruiting front, either by having some players that would have other chosen LSU to choose Tulane or by having out of state programs that heavily recruit Texas to recruit more Louisiana recruits/less Texas recruits so that Tulane could target those Texas recruits.

It's not like Tulane recruits Louisiana that much anyway and because that is the case, and, because LSU both directly and indirectly disrespects Tulane whenever it can, it doesn't make sense for Tulane to be assisting LSU maintain its relative monopoly in Louisiana.
wave97
Swell

You are against subjecting your honor to the school up-river, but you're willing to be a jailhouse punk and a lady in waiting to the Big 12? Right now we need to put on the lipstick so what difference does it really make?
wave97
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:27 am
wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:49 am
We need to win.
The goal in separating Tulane from LSU and aligning with the Big 12 is not necessarily to get a Big 12 invite, even though it would be a nice bonus. Instead, the goal is to weaken LSU's stranglehold on Louisiana recruiting.

As of now, the state of Louisiana has a culture in which recruits that receive an LSU offer generally do not turn that offer down outside of a handful fo exceptions, and, because that is the case, the goal with Tulane would be to weaken that culture by introducing more competition and thereby changing the culture to allow for general acceptance of recruits choosing to go to programs other than LSU. This should benefit Tulane on the recruiting front, either by having some players that would have other chosen LSU to choose Tulane or by having out of state programs that heavily recruit Texas to recruit more Louisiana recruits/less Texas recruits so that Tulane could target those Texas recruits.

It's not like Tulane recruits Louisiana that much anyway and because that is the case, and, because LSU both directly and indirectly disrespects Tulane whenever it can, it doesn't make sense for Tulane to be assisting LSU maintain its relative monopoly in Louisiana.
You think that hosting a talent evaluation camp with (fill in the blank Big 12 school), will reduce LSU's relative monopoly in Louisiana? The strategy of recruiting TX, MS, TN, AL, FL GA is brilliant. Lousiana recruits have been stained with an indelible perception of Tulane's haplessness in football. That's too much of an uphill fight. For the time being out of state recruits should be the priority.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am
You are against subjecting your honor to the school up-river, but you're willing to be a jailhouse punk and a lady in waiting to the Big 12? Right now we need to put on the lipstick so what difference does it really make?
If it doesn't really make a "difference", why not choose the option that has the potential (albeit very small) to be more beneficial? Put some perfume on the lipsticked pig.
Roll Wave!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

wave97 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:44 am You think that hosting a talent evaluation camp with (fill in the blank Big 12 school), will reduce LSU's relative monopoly in Louisiana? The strategy of recruiting TX, MS, TN, AL, FL GA is brilliant. Lousiana recruits have been stained with an indelible perception of Tulane's haplessness in football. That's too much of an uphill fight. For the time being out of state recruits should be the priority.
It will over time. The state of Louisiana has a culture that can be changed, and LSU's decision to change its stance and host a joint camp with only Tulane (and Tulane along with the rest of the Louisiana FBS programs) showed its hand and openly indicated that it is in fact concerned about that issue.