SMU Beats Tulane 85-75

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Slow starts:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 68e41.html

SMU is favored by 17. The game is at 5 on ESPNU.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Hard to see the team playing this poorly but I’m still going to watch since they are in my area. Hope to see them improve and get something going.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:28 pm Slow starts:

dang, 17 pts to a middle of conference (. 500) team. Probably unprecedented in Tulane history and unfortunately is probably a fair number.
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:26 pm

dang, 17 pts to a middle of conference (. 500) team. Probably unprecedented in Tulane history and unfortunately is probably a fair number.
netshorty... be patient. You can't expect overnight success. These things take time. Listen to my boy, gb.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They've only had a lead in a conference game for a few seconds. Holy crap that's bad.

That being said, I'll watch. I might be snoozing after a long week as a vendor at a trade show in Vegas, though..
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:26 pm

we may have to go back to the days of Al Andrews, playing aginst SEC light weight and fellow conference member Kentucky in 64 / 65,
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Amazing to me that Sr Blake Paul was sitting on the bench for part of the year. We probably beat SMU had he played in that game. He’s easily our best number 5. The is one case where injuries have worked out for the best. In this instance it’s allowed for our best center to get more playing time. I know MD is playing for the future but sitting Paul out as much as he has was another befuddling move. We may have actually won a game or two more had he been in there longer instead of the other two kids. I can’t imagine him being in the doghouse either. Blake is as fine of a person you’ll ever meet.
SMU this season is not your typical SMU. We should make it interesting today.
Senior center Blake Paul, Koka’s replacement, is in maybe the best three-game stretch of his career.

Paul, a Landry-Walker product who did not leave the bench when Tulane lost to SMU 74-65 on Jan. 4, produced career highs for points (15) and rebounds (13) against Memphis on Jan. 13 while connecting on 7 of 10 shots. He backed up that performance with 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting against Connecticut before scoring 8 with 12 rebounds against UCF.
He’s avg’d 12-points a game in the last 3 games. .
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Paul was in the doghouse for his technical foul and suspension earlier in the season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am Paul was in the doghouse for his technical foul and suspension earlier in the season.
Yes but even before that he wasn't playing much. It was a terrible coaching decision. Paul is not a great player but Koka and Ajang are what I said they were when we signed them- projects.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:06 am Paul was in the doghouse for his technical foul and suspension earlier in the season.
In OOC, Paul logged 20 minutes in the best Tulane win of the season against South Dakota St. After that his minutes fell off down to low of 3 minutes in blow out loss to S. Alabama and didn't sniff the court in our most embarrassing loss of the season against Alabama A&M. No idea if he was nursing an injury or just not part of MDs regular rotation. Since the technical foul at Cincy and not playing in the SMU game his minutes are way up. So not sure that event caused him to be in the doghouse. Regardless, the lack of playing time earlier in the season is dumbfounding. I get that the projects need to gain experience but not putting your best lineup out each night and suffering these embarrassing losses is just another poor job by MD.
Houma de Wave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am
Yes but even before that he wasn't playing much. It was a terrible coaching decision. Paul is not a great player but Koka and Ajang are what I said they were when we signed them- projects.
Unlike Koka and Ajang, he can pass and score. I am totally confused as to why he didn't see much action early on.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The announcers are talking like history is being made since Tulane actually has a lead for a few minutes in an AAC game. Wow, what improvement!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Announcers just noted Blake Paul will be working for the FBI after graduating in Homeland Security. He’s a great kid and if anything Dunleavy should be in Dannen’s doghouse for sitting him. Like I said earlier we probably beat SMU had Paul played at home they are bad and are still suffering from NCAA 9 man roster limit.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree. This is year three. This was not a build for the future year. This was a need to win year especially with it being a down year for the conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Up 35-32 at the half on a three by Zhang. His confidence is shaky. Hopefully that bodes well for the second half.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

A halftime lead! Nice play by Zhang at the end of the half to give Tulane a 35-32 lead. Let's forget about our coaching situation for an hour and enjoy the second half. We don't play this well very often, I hope we can duplicate our first half effort in the second half. We got some good play from players that have been miserable lately (ie: Barrett).

Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Why was Cornish on the bench so long when he was red hot? If nothing else, sub him in/out on O and D.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Nice effort. Down 10 with 2 minutes left, we lose again. The team is clearly better with Paul in the lineup. At least it was fun to watch for 35 minutes. Our D is non-existent.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Jordan Cornish must never have attempted a free throw before today .
Paul was ignored by his teammates down the stretch .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Played our best conference game of the year and still loss by 10 to a bad SMU team with a 9 man roster. SMU was down to 7 players at the end with foul outs and injuries and stretched the lead. Not sure there will be a better opportunity to win a road game. Both ECU and WS are winless on the road. We should win those two games at Devlin.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm sure that I will be shouted down for stating this, but I felt that the team played with the same sort of intensity during Wednesday's UCF game. Granted we lost that game by a very large margin, but it was not due to lack of hustle.

I'm hoping that our kids can find some things from which to build after this game. Every loss digs the psychological pit even deeper. The 3-point shooting by SMU was unconscious and was probably the determining factor in the loss. We desperately need an ECU win on Thursday night.

Roll Wave!
Jaxwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 pm Played our best conference game of the year and still loss by 10 to a bad SMU team with a 9 man roster. SMU was down to 7 players at the end with foul outs and injuries and stretched the lead. Not sure there will be a better opportunity to win a road game. Both ECU and WS are winless on the road. We should win those two games at Devlin.
“Should” win those two games. That word doesn’t apply to this team. “May” would be the better word.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm I'm sure that I will be shouted down for stating this, but I felt that the team played with the same sort of intensity during Wednesday's UCF game. Granted we lost that game by a very large margin, but it was not due to lack of hustle.

I'm hoping that our kids can find some things from which to build after this game. Every loss digs the psychological pit even deeper. The 3-point shooting by SMU was unconscious and was probably the determining factor in the loss. We desperately need an ECU win on Thursday night.

Roll Wave!
No one's going to shout you down. They played hard and we were all hoping they'd get a much needed win that they were playing their hearts out to get. They simply lack coaching and enough talent to finish it off. Just a sad situation.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

We did play a respectable game, for a change. But as many of you have pointed out SMU is not a good team. In addition to only having 9 players, they only have one scholarship player that has been on their team more than a year. Zhang is not a good player—a lazy and passive player—no defense and won’t even set a pick—just floats around the 3 point line waiting to jack a shot, which he doesn’t do that well. Daniels is a turnover machine that can’t shoot at all, and Cornish is not much better. Cornish got hot against SMU, but the announcers pointed out that, in the prior three games, he was 3 for 23 from the 3 point line. The most consistent, and capable, player on the court is Connor Wood—somehow, as a freshman, he has managed to work through the coaching chaos and maintain his skills and effectiveness on the court—not sure he’ll be able to maintain that under another year of this coaching staff. I still doubt we’ll win another game this season.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
WavyHoops
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 am We did play a respectable game, for a change. But as many of you have pointed out SMU is not a good team. In addition to only having 9 players, they only have one scholarship player that has been on their team more than a year. Zhang is not a good player—a lazy and passive player—no defense and won’t even set a pick—just floats around the 3 point line waiting to jack a shot, which he doesn’t do that well. Daniels is a turnover machine that can’t shoot at all, and Cornish is not much better. Cornish got hot against SMU, but the announcers pointed out that, in the prior three games, he was 3 for 23 from the 3 point line. The most consistent, and capable, player on the court is Connor Wood—somehow, as a freshman, he has managed to work through the coaching chaos and maintain his skills and effectiveness on the court—not sure he’ll be able to maintain that under another year of this coaching staff. I still doubt we’ll win another game this season.
Agree with every word but do you mean Connor Crabtree or Moses Wood (or both)?