FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I think most people are of the opinion that giving MD one more year likely means he'll get 2 more years. Here's why.
If Dannen actually believes the things that he said in the vote of confidence then this would make sense. Because there’s no way anyone can realistically think that next year will be anything better than 12-15 wins.

If you believe that he’s only getting another year because we can’t afford to pay the buyout, well then maybe that changes next year.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am That’s incredible. On top of that he’s far and away the highest paid basketball coach in Tulane history.
Just mind boggling.
Is this true ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am That’s incredible. On top of that he’s far and away the highest paid basketball coach in Tulane history.
Just mind boggling.
Is this true ?
If it is true, Mike Dunleavy should not only resign, but also be willing to accept no buyout whatsoever. MD has fought for his contractually agreed payments with NBA owners (which is why he was out of coaching for so long.) If he draws a line in the sand and wants a full buyout, fire him, give him a partial check that voids the contract if it's deposited. Or let him sue the University and ensure that his legal costs exceed the buyout by dragging it along and showing (simply by wins and losses) that he wasn't earning his pay.

This will not keep other coaches from coming here, as MD has a track record of suing former employers, and was black balled by the NBA.

This shouldn't even be a discussion point. The team has the worst record in Tulane basketball history. The coach, clearly, has not lived up to anything close to contractual expectations. And recruiting SUCKS.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

What is Dunleavy’s salary?
And what about Jewett?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Just mind boggling.
Is this true ?
TU doesn’t release it but with inflation and the move to a conference with better schools, the answer is yes. Don’t be fooled by those who say this is the old CUSA. Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU and Memphis have all invested huge in new facilities and staff’s. Add Temple and UConn, two consistent programs and u have to compete. Even ECU is investing. Then add in Wich St who has 10k per night even when they stink.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Seeing how well that school upriver is doing this season in men’s basketball with Will Wade makes me even more furious that we are stuck with a total loser like Mike Dunleavy.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm
Just mind boggling.
Is this true ?
TU doesn’t release it but with inflation and the move to a conference with better schools, the answer is yes. Don’t be fooled by those who say this is the old CUSA. Cinci, Houston, UCF, SMU and Memphis have all invested huge in new facilities and staff’s. Add Temple and UConn, two consistent programs and u have to compete. Even ECU is investing. Then add in Wich St who has 10k per night even when they stink.
Yes he’s the highest. Somewhere between $1.2-1.5 million range.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The real question going forward is how much will we pay for our next coach compared to others in the league.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Maybe people were watching as a run up to the Duke-UNC game but more people than usual on social media seem to have noticed Tulane’s ineptitude. On our way to national laughingstock status.
JerseyWave
Riptide

An absolute disgrace, embarrassment! I actually feel bad for the guys on the team. They deserve better than this. Our fan base deserves much better. We have one AAC caliber player on the roster, Daniels. Troy Dannen is a freakin joke worse than Rick Dickson if drastic changes aren’t made after this season.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

So if we are paying Dunleavy $1.2 to $1.5 million a year and he has four wins on the season Dunleavy is taking Tulane to the cleaners and making around $300,000 to $375,000 per win. What a joke. Dannen needs to be run out of town for signing off on a six year contract for Dunleavy and accepting mediocrity for the men’s basketball program.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This is worse than any other coaching screwup I’ve ever seen at Tulane. And that’s a mouthful.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To bring him back is to confirm that Tulane still doesn't judge by wins and losses. Disgusting.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 pm To bring him back is to confirm that Tulane still doesn't judge by wins and losses. Disgusting.
No question.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:29 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:20 pm To bring him back is to confirm that Tulane still doesn't judge by wins and losses. Disgusting.
No question.
The worst Tulane basketball of my lifetime., and I have been around for a while.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:57 pm This is worse than any other coaching screwup I’ve ever seen at Tulane. And that’s a mouthful.
“It has never been a question for me,” said Tulane director of athletics Troy Dannen when asked if men’s basketball coach Mike Dunleavy would return for next season.

“100 percent,” said Dannen in a phone interview Tuesday night.“
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:57 pm This is worse than any other coaching screwup I’ve ever seen at Tulane. And that’s a mouthful.
“It has never been a question for me,” said Tulane director of athletics Troy Dannen when asked if men’s basketball coach Mike Dunleavy would return for next season.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:01 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
MBA, that's not the worst of his quotes... that quote just means 100% we can't buy him out. The things that is most troublesome are these comments :

"I’m as optimistic about the program today as I was when I hired Mike three years ago."

f that's not a flat out lie then TD is straight up incompetent.
Show Me
Tsunami

Amazing Tulane fans are still being haunted by this. Dannen needs to go find a wealthy donor and end this fiasco immediately otherwise he’s no better than Rick Dickson. And the Tulane board is a joke if they let this continue as well. This is a complete embarrassment to the entire university and it’s fans and alums. Even the media is perplexed by it. Tulane and it’s administration continues to be its own worst enemy.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Speaking of hauntings, Dannen will be haunted throughout his career by this. He will always be known as the AD who couldn’t do the obvious. The focus going forward will shift from how bad this team is, to how can a university possibly keep a coach this spectacularly bad. There is no good answer to that question.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:18 am Speaking of hauntings, Dannen will be haunted throughout his career by this. He will always be know as the AD who couldn’t do the obvious. The focus going forward will shift from how bad this team is, to how can a university possibly keep a coach this spectacularly bad. There is no good answer to that question.
Perfect summation....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
netshorty
Surge

Some facts since the Death Penalty:
- Perry Clark suffered one 20 pt conference loss in his 1st 3 years at Tulane. None in the first year back from the death penalty, which is how we knew that while we were 4-24 (1-15) that we were going to be competitive the following years.
- Mike Dunleavy has lost 11 conference games (thus far in less than 3 seasons) by 20+ points. More than 25% of his conference losses are by 20 or more points.
- With the 3rd straight conference loss by 20+ points last night, MD joins Shawn Finney as the only coaches to accomplish such a feat. Finney did it in year 1 of his "rebuild". MD came close in his year 1 losing back-to-back 20+ pt games. But he finally broke through this year.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Anyone else find the season-ending injuries to three players who were supposed to be big pieces a bit suspect? (Not questioning the injuries - questioning that they were season-ending). What are the odds that we won't see RAE, Koka or Ajang in green and blue again ever.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ROE is a back up quality PG at best. The other two were huge projects . So while it is suspicious timing of the announcement it doesn't throw us off the fact that he has recruited poorly across the board.
Pepper
Swell

I feel for the kids on this team. They play hard and deserve better than what Tulane is giving.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.