FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Citypark wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 pm I agree with so much of what has been written about Tulane basketball on this site. While I do not have the expertise to evaluate a college basketball coach, I can add a extremely disappointing fact to the discussion.

During the past three weeks, I had extended conversations with three basketball coaches in the New Orleans area. These men head three of the most successful programs in terms of championships and the production of division one players.

I asked these men what they thought of Coach Dunleavy. Every one stated that they have not seen or spoken to Mr. Dunleavy or anyone associated with the Tulane basketball program since Coach Dunleavy’s arrival.

This is very problematic!!!
That’s the least of our problems. The recruiting has been alright. Don’t care that they are coming from outside the New Orleans area.

Citypark
Ripple

I was not suggesting that we should not recruit out of our area. After three years there should have been some reach out to the local coaches , who may have a super player in the future. Remember how many local kids helped Perry Clark rebuild the program.

The local coaches feel ignored. When Tulane coaches come knocking at their door in the future, these coaches might not roll out the welcome mat.
Jaxwave
Swell

Can local kids qualify and stay in school? C.J. Johnson found out it was a risk getting them and keeping them.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:51 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 am Quote from Jeff Duncan TP article:
The 4-18 Green Wave will need to win one of their final eight games in the American Athletic Conference to avoid the first winless conference season in the 109-year history of the program.
this could be a record beakin' kinda of season...who woulda though
And, nobody on this forum is complaining anymore that LSU won't play us in basketball. :thumbup:
Citypark
Ripple

Anthony Reed, Pointer Williams, Kim Lewis, Gerald Honeycutt, Rayshard Allen
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:44 pm Can local kids qualify and stay in school? C.J. Johnson found out it was a risk getting them and keeping them.
Yes they can.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Unbelievable!!! Dannen has out-Dicksoned Dickson. No doubt his judgmentt is tainted by MD being his car pool buddy. We’ll get the same results next year and for as long as MD is coach. Nobody will watch this crap next year. I’m reducing my annual Greenwave Club donation by 25% based on this. And if baseball goes into the ditch again, and TD can’t man up and fix that problem, then I’ll reduce my contributions by another 25%. The other 50% rides with football.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

Perhaps it will be next year when we have a thread about potential athletic
directors for Tulane? Will the suffering over our athletics ever end or are we destined to have one of the worst athletic programs in the country? This is getting so old!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Citypark wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 pm Anthony Reed, Pointer Williams, Kim Lewis, Gerald Honeycutt, Rayshard Allen

There is no good reason why he could not have reached out to local coaches. I suspect its just swollen head syndrome.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

This news immediately made me sick to my stomach when I first heard it. Dunleavy had been out of coaching for six years before he got the Tulane job. Not coaching for six years clearly diminished his coaching skills and abilities.. Dunleavy was interested in the St. John’s job along with other college job openings but was never seriously considered by them until the Tulane job opened up. It was very foolish of Dannen to be all enamored with Dunleavy and offer him the job. It was even more foolish and outrageous for Dannen to give Dunleavy a six year contract. If he had to be the one hired Dunleavy should have been given a four year contract as he would have been coaching his initial recruiting class for their senior year. Dannen needs to be held accountable for this fiasco and in particular giving Dunleavy, a coach no one wanted, a six year contract. This is pure negligence by Dannen and he has seriously jeapordized the Tulane basketball program. I will no longer buy any basketball tickets or attend any games as long as Dunleavy is coach.
gbgreenie
Surge

I am 100% sure you Low Tide and others are idiots that have no clue, even after watching the Football Program turn around with the addition of one player McMillian to QB and make plays. Embo being hurt is huge, leaving the team without a viable Point Guard(Quarterback) to make plays, hit the open man, give the other teams heart aches on ball movement and open players off of well run screens and other plays. I hope you finally see how foolish this negativity is. That those who have a much wider focus on what it takes to have winning basketball have prevailed. Your wasted energy have tied up this board way longer than it should, and can only hurt recruiting and not help at all. I guess you folks enjoy blowing hot air making yourselves look like the almighty when it comes to knowing College Basketball when in reality you do not have the foggiest clue!!!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Again . Just as in the case of CJ , President Fitts will have to tell Mr Dannen to terminate Mr Dunleavy . If Mr Dannen says Mr Dunleavy deserves another three years President Fitts will terminate them both .

Our attention should now focus on President Fitts .

Has President Fitts attended any , a few or many games .? Hopefully he has seen the train wreck in person .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
netshorty
Surge

what gbg will never address is why was this team terrible last year with a healthy Ona Embo and 2 players that have been invited to NBA camps this year (one drafted as a top 40 player.) This silly excuse that he and TD are giving has already been proven wrong. It makes no difference if MD has a PG. No difference if he has talent. No difference if the has highly rated transfers (see Cornish) or seemingly exciting set of recruits. The result is the same. And his downward trajectory can be traced back to his last 3 NBA seasons where he had a sub. 300 record. He's a proven loser now. No ifs ands or buts. There is empirical evidence of his inability to turn this program around. The only thing MD supporters can point to is hope and unfounded wishful thinking. There are absolutely ZERO signs that MD is capable of making Tulane into a winning program. Zero. None. Recruiting classes don't prove that. Being an NBA coach of the year 20 years ago doesn't prove that. We have enough REAL results in nearly 3 years that clearly PROVE he is incapable. Period.
oliveandblue
Surge

It's all an inexact science.

If Tulane had beaten the creampuffs and were like 9-12 (1-8 AAC), then Fitts would probably feel no need to shake things up. However, if this team endlessly craters then his hand is forced.

This isn't an anonymously bad team. This team is so bad that is makes the school look incompetent and can drive away donors.
gbgreenie
Surge

Such a holes, Fitts won't control Dannen decisions, you Debbie downers are a pathetic bunch, give it up and move on with this uneducated nonsense. You are making your self look like idiots.
gbgreenie
Surge

Edit

Delete post

Report this post

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Such a holes, Fitts won't control Dannen decisions, you Debbie downers are a pathetic bunch, give it up and move on with this uneducated nonsense. You are making your self look like idiots.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I’d have to imagine that if Dunleavy isn’t getting fired that Jewett will also be back in 2020 regardless of how the team performs this year.
Can you confirm gbgreenie?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 pm Such a holes, Fitts won't control Dannen decisions, you Debbie downers are a pathetic bunch, give it up and move on with this uneducated nonsense. You are making your self look like idiots.
I get it...the AD runs the asylum..... a direct reversal from the SC years
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
gbgreenie
Surge

No, Jewett is a different situation, his recruiting hasn't been that outstanding or the way he handles pitching. Jewett's job depends on Daniel Latham ability to get this pitching staff pitching at a division 1 baseball level. Also the fact that Matt Riser was passed over for Jewett and his success at USL is continuing. Bad season this year, Matt Riser will come and join Latham. That will happen and Jewett has been warned!!!
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm Only at Tulane. God help us.
Unbelievable.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We're having a historically terrible season. There's a good chance this team becomes the first in Tulane Basketball History (well over 100 years) to not win a conference game. And gbg is telling us we're "Debbie Downers" for wanting a competent coach that can actually do his job.

I don't see Fitts overreaching Dannen, but this basketball team is a black eye on the University.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

At the very least, Fitts should let Dannen know that his status is now at stake with the MD experiment. Dannen’s decision to keep MD is certainly “Audacious”.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm what gbg will never address is why was this team terrible last year with a healthy Ona Embo and 2 players that have been invited to NBA camps this year (one drafted as a top 40 player.) This silly excuse that he and TD are giving has already been proven wrong. It makes no difference if MD has a PG. No difference if he has talent. No difference if the has highly rated transfers (see Cornish) or seemingly exciting set of recruits. The result is the same. And his downward trajectory can be traced back to his last 3 NBA seasons where he had a sub. 300 record. He's a proven loser now. No ifs ands or buts. There is empirical evidence of his inability to turn this program around. The only thing MD supporters can point to is hope and unfounded wishful thinking. There are absolutely ZERO signs that MD is capable of making Tulane into a winning program. Zero. None. Recruiting classes don't prove that. Being an NBA coach of the year 20 years ago doesn't prove that. We have enough REAL results in nearly 3 years that clearly PROVE he is incapable. Period.
Well stated Shorty. And if MD’s life long losing % isn’t enough, just watch a game. This Tulane team is devoid of basic coaching, both at the individual and team levels—which was also the case last year. It appears that MD, and his staff are just plain lazy. They don’t coach, and apparently they have made no attempt to build relationships in the local basketball community. They just go through the motions and collect their pay checks from Dannen. What would Fitts do if any of our academic metrics came even close to what our 3-year basketball winning % has been? How can Tulane pretend that athletics are important, if they keep MD?
anEngineer
Riptide

As if there weren't already enough threads devoted to the get-rid-of-Dunleavy mission, here is a new one that brings a new level of stupidity. Dunleavy will be the coach next year! It's a stated fact by the person who matters most: Troy Dannen. Get over it. No level of carping on this site is going to change it. Let's either move on to something else or combine all these threads into one so it's easier to avoid. Continuing to lobby and browbeat about something that has 0% chance of happening is inane.