FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

netshorty wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm Easily the worst coached Tulane MBB team since the days of Dick Longo in the early 70’s. Longo was fired after two years going 20-32. A record Dunleavy would get extended on today.
Sounds like Dick Longo was a better coach! "You are what your record says you are" Bill Parcels.
Yep, Dick was better. By season's end Dunleavy will be the worst Tulane coach (who coached more than 1 year) in Tulane history based on winning %. Sports-reference.com goes back to Shaughnessy in 1915.

He's sitting at 24-53 (.312) overall and 8-31 (.205) in conference. Being generous and giving him 4 conference wins the remainder of the year and finishing 8-23 (4-14) he would be:
28-65 (.301) - WORST EVER and 12-42 (.222) WORST EVER.

Anything less than 5 conference wins would have MD leading the way on this bottom 5 all-time list.

OUR BOTTOM 5
Record - Overall / Conference
Dunleavy 3 years from 2016-19 (as above)
Dauber 5 years from 1933-38, 27-61 (.307) / 19-54 (.260)
Danforth 5 years from 1976-81, 45-90 (.333) /15-39 (.278)
Rody 2 years from 1931-33, 14-25 (.359) / 11-23 (.324)
Pedersen 7 years from 1964-71 63-110 (.364)
With the loss at UCONN Dunleavy has taken over the top spot as the worst coach based on winning percentage. He's now sitting at 24-55 (. 304) edging out Dauber's 5 year stint that ended 81 years ago. Still time to give up the top spot (long shot) but congrats MD!

netshorty
Surge

Some additional worst of the worst facts. Of the top dozen basketball conferences (based on the NCAAs NET power ranking) , Tulane is only 2nd to Portland from the WCC in two power ranking statistics that measure competitiveness in conference. These rankings haven't been updated yet for Saturday's games.

Tulane is ranked 67 spots worse (303} than the next worst team in conference, East Carolina. Only Portland has a larger gap between last place teams.

Tulane is ranked 296 spots worse than the top team in conference, Houston. Again only Portland has a larger gap to the top spot.

Tulane is ranked 209 spots worse then AAC middle of the pack. The worst of any team.

The record is bad but these NET rankings that are used by the NCAA selection committee really illustrate how far we've fallen.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 am Some additional worst of the worst facts. Of the top dozen basketball conferences (based on the NCAAs NET power ranking) , Tulane is only 2nd to Portland from the WCC in two power ranking statistics that measure competitiveness in conference. These rankings haven't been updated yet for Saturday's games.

Tulane is ranked 67 spots worse (303} than the next worst team in conference, East Carolina. Only Portland has a larger gap between last place teams.

Tulane is ranked 296 spots worse than the top team in conference, Houston. Again only Portland has a larger gap to the top spot.

Tulane is ranked 209 spots worse then AAC middle of the pack. The worst of any team.

The record is bad but these NET rankings that are used by the NCAA selection committee really illustrate how far we've fallen.
And some here claim Dunleavy is doing a great job building a program. :roll: :lol: :cry: :oops: :? :evil:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

That’s incredible. On top of that he’s far and away the highest paid basketball coach in Tulane history.
Just mind boggling.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I would not be surprised if Aresco calls Dannen after the season, and strongly suggests that something needs to be done.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 pm I would not be surprised if Aresco calls Dannen after the season, and strongly suggests that something needs to be done.
Good point. The team is so bad that it's dragging the conference down, and if we start winning a few games, it would hurt the poor team that caught us on the wrong night more than it would help Tulane.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 pm I would not be surprised if Aresco calls Dannen after the season, and strongly suggests that something needs to be done.
Good point. The team is so bad that it's dragging the conference down, and if we start winning a few games, it would hurt the poor team that caught us on the wrong night more than it would help Tulane.
We are single handedly dragging the league down 2 spots. Without us and ecu the AAC is a top 4/5 league, and this is a down year.
DrBox
Riptide

If Dannen's doing his job, he'll have made a move before Aresco has time to put in a class.
WavyHoops
High Tide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 pm
If I'm a bubble team like Temple or Memphis, I friggin hate how much of an anchor Tulane is on my team's SOS and conference NET and RPI.
Show Me
Tsunami

Just did a little math. Dunleavy’s going to make $4.5 million total since signing on at the end of this season. He’s won 24 games in 3 years. That’s equivalent to $187,500 per win.
netshorty
Surge

Dropped a few spots in NET rankings to 307 out of 353 teams.

widens the gap between us and 2nd worst team in conference to 78 spots. between us and top of conference is now 300 spots. Wow! Between us and middle of conference is now 212 spots.

we'd be last place in the Ivy league, a10, cusa, colonial, horizon, mac, mvc, patriot, sun belt, and obviously the P5 + Big East.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm
we'd be last place in the Ivy league, a10, cusa, colonial, horizon, mac, mvc, patriot, sun belt, and obviously the P5 + Big East.
That is really telling. Wow
WavyHoops
High Tide

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm Dropped a few spots in NET rankings to 307 out of 353 teams.

widens the gap between us and 2nd worst team in conference to 78 spots. between us and top of conference is now 300 spots. Wow! Between us and middle of conference is now 212 spots.

This isn’t just true on the numbers. I and everyone in my family watch a ton of college hoops and the wave are mess via the “eye test” as well. We look slow, disorganized, uncertain, unmotivated and are clearly playing a system that doesn’t suit our talent. When I’m watching a Tulane game and someone walks by, it takes them about 10 seconds to recognize there’s something profoundly wrong with this team.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

at least MD is number 1 in something
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
cajunfanatico
Swell

One wonders what Dannen was thinking when he made this hire.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 am One wonders what Dannen was thinking when he made this hire.
MD's brother in law is a former Tulane football player, his sister wanted to move closer to family in NOLA.....case solved
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
gbgreenie
Surge

SO relentlous, never give up a broken record over and over. Totally disregarding the schools we have out recruited and the rankings of the student Athletes Dunleavy has brought into the program. Disregarding key injuries, that have crippled the Point Guard position. Dunleavy has this and next year to correct any mistakes he made. He knows he has gotten the big men and needs to work on getting some playmakers in the program. Dunleavy likes fast break and knows more than anyone he needs some playmakers and will get them, no doubt in my mind. Why is it you Debbie downers love to be so negative. Life is beautiful, be positive sometime. Glass is half full, not half empty!!!
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm SO relentlous, never give up a broken record over and over. Totally disregarding the schools we have out recruited and the rankings of the student Athletes Dunleavy has brought into the program. Disregarding key injuries, that have crippled the Point Guard position. Dunleavy has this and next year to correct any mistakes he made. He knows he has gotten the big men and needs to work on getting some playmakers in the program. Dunleavy likes fast break and knows more than anyone he needs some playmakers and will get them, no doubt in my mind. Why is it you Debbie downers love to be so negative. Life is beautiful, be positive sometime. Glass is half full, not half empty!!!
gbgreenie, I ask with all sincerity: When is enough, enough? When would you start to lose your confidence in the staff and feel there is little hope for significant improvement? Four years? Five years? What kind of record would force you to abandon hope? Winning only two conference games when Coach D has a team filled with his own recruits? Winning only two games for 2-3 seasons? What is your lowest threshhold of tolerance?

Not being snarky, but genuinely curious. I am a season ticket holder that is about to forfeit my seats next year. As a positive supporter of the program, you have an opportunity to convince me that I am wrong. Go.
ajcalhoun
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm Life is beautiful, be positive sometime. Glass is half full, not half empty!!!

On what freakin' planet is a 4-13 overall record, winless and in last place in the conference, and a 300+ RPI resemble a glass that is half-full?
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm SO relentlous, never give up a broken record over and over. Totally disregarding the schools we have out recruited and the rankings of the student Athletes Dunleavy has brought into the program. Disregarding key injuries, that have crippled the Point Guard position. Dunleavy has this and next year to correct any mistakes he made. He knows he has gotten the big men and needs to work on getting some playmakers in the program. Dunleavy likes fast break and knows more than anyone he needs some playmakers and will get them, no doubt in my mind. Why is it you Debbie downers love to be so negative. Life is beautiful, be positive sometime. Glass is half full, not half empty!!!
gbgreenie, I ask with all sincerity: When is enough, enough? When would you start to lose your confidence in the staff and feel there is little hope for significant improvement?
When gbgreenie’s sister divorces Dunleavy
gbgreenie
Surge

Darn wins and losses doesn't tell the whole story, Out recruiting teams that usually kick our butts in recruiting, Getting international big men into the program that has always lacked height will help. The only thing we are lacking is a playmaker that can blend the team together. I have seen the program since the days of Johnny Arthur and Terry Habig, I really like the players Dunleavy is bringing into the program. Be patient!!! I am also a personal friend of Dickie Longo we run many races together.
Profoundwizard
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 am Darn wins and losses doesn't tell the whole story, Out recruiting teams that usually kick our butts in recruiting, Getting international big men into the program that has always lacked height will help. The only thing we are lacking is a playmaker that can blend the team together. I have seen the program since the days of Johnny Arthur and Terry Habig, I really like the players Dunleavy is bringing into the program. Be patient!!! I am also a personal friend of Dickie Longo we run many races together.
I got some bad news for you, GB, those international big men aren’t any good at basketball.

The fact that you think we’re only missing one thing is a clear indication that you have no idea what you’re talking about.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If Dannen keeps Dunleavy, he's dangerously close to losing his job, too. Wins and losses do tell the whole story.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Since gbgreenie thinks Dunleavy is such a wonderful college basketball coach despite our loss to Alabama A&M and overall dismal record maybe he can explain to us how we had studs like Melvin Frazier and Cam Reynolds playing for us last year yet Tulane under Dunleavy did not even come close to sniffing the NIT. Gbgreenie likes to tell us how Dunleavy will have some quality players coming in next year but none of them will be as good as Frazier and Reynolds. Since Dunleavy didn’t come close to making the NIT last year with those two players how in the heck do we expect him to do anything special next year even with a couple of good recruits. The Dunleavy era at Tulane will always be known as the Dunleavy Disaster. Dunleavy makes Ed Conroy look like a superstar by comparison and I was not a fan of Conroy.
netshorty
Surge

Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm Since gbgreenie thinks Dunleavy is such a wonderful college basketball coach despite our loss to Alabama A&M and overall dismal record maybe he can explain to us how we had studs like Melvin Frazier and Cam Reynolds playing for us last year yet Tulane under Dunleavy did not even come close to sniffing the NIT. Gbgreenie likes to tell us how Dunleavy will have some quality players coming in next year but none of them will be as good as Frazier and Reynolds. Since Dunleavy didn’t come close to making the NIT last year with those two players how in the heck do we expect him to do anything special next year even with a couple of good recruits. The Dunleavy era at Tulane will always be known as the Dunleavy Disaster. Dunleavy makes Ed Conroy look like a superstar by comparison and I was not a fan of Conroy.

While Conroy struggled mightily in conference, he at least won the weak OOC games. In year 3 his 20-15 record got him to 48-48. By comparison, Dunleavy is sitting at exactly half the number of total wins with little hope to add too many more by the end of his 3rd year. That's just scary bad.