FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 pm Mike Dunleavy Sr. appreciates Tulane AD’s show of support, but message isn’t really for him:

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/02/mik ... r-him.html
Mike Dunleavy wrote:“I see us having a big bounce next year,”
Troy Dannen wrote:“This has been a tough season,” Dannen said Tuesday during an interview with NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune. "But I’m as optimistic about the program today as I was when I hired Mike three years ago.”
This TD quote confirms that he is a gutless dumb ass. Hey Troy, go check your quotes at the start of this season—why should we listen to or believe anything you say? Dannen’s credibility is falling faster than our basketball program..

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
netshorty
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:54 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 pm
AugWave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm Ok, quick question: Do you all know that we literally don't have a point guard? Seems like all everybody is looking at is our record but not at the actually game/roster makeup.

But I'm sure the usual suspects will say I'm wrong so, whatever.
And again, do you all know that there was a PG and two NBA caliber players last year and the results were putrid? How do you reconcile that reality?
Bump.
MBA, I will answer this for you since the ones that have been asked directly can't seem to find the answer.

MD is learning the game, be patient. His scheme is a super sophisticated NBA system so it takes time for players to learn it. We showed huge improvement in being able to complete the weave drill in practice 3 times in a row. Kids these days are different, you have to coach hard to get them to play 100%. Frazier was injured a few games. Cam went through a dry spell. we were playing a freshman alot. The big guys hadn't yet matured but are about to.

Don't forget, MD made Frazier into an NBA draft pick by improving his athleticism and instilling the defensive principles that were the reasons he was coveted.

His recruiting hasn't been at the bottom of the conference so you can expect eventually the success on the court won't be at the bottom. He has a highly touted transfer coming in. MD will get him contributing like Cornish in no time.

these are just a few of the many reasons we didn't do too well with a PG running the offense last year.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I guess if Tulane’s academic ranking drops 20 places next year, all the Provost has to tell Fitts is, “ don’t worry, we still don’t have a PG.”
netshorty
Surge

https://www.nola.com/tulane/2019/02/tul ... utType=amp

Some worst of the worst supporting stats here.

0-11 in conference to start the season ties all-time worst. Gotta beat UH on Sunday to avoid outright worst of the worst.

Longest losing steak in 55 years.

Only 4 teams of 352 with fewer wins this season then the Wave. All with 3 wins so still a chance we finish with the fewest wins in all D1.

No opinion here just facts.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

winwave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm Message wasn't meant for him:

Omg, Cornish’s eyes during that interview.
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:54 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 pm Message wasn't meant for him:

Omg, Cornish’s eyes during that interview.
yep, looks like he's heard this crap before and isn't buying it either. if only we'd gotten to more 50/50 balls... big bounce next year... lol.... yeah right... his pressers are as bad as his coaching.
gbgreenie
Surge

Cornish is part of the problem, He is not a ball handler!!! Huge jump instore for next year, it will be a year of all years. Will put Tulane's Basketball with the Elite's patience wins, Impatience knee jerk is a loser everytime!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Cornish appeared to be in disbelief at what MD was saying.
netshorty
Surge

He's done it! Congrats on another worst of the worst record. worst conference start in program history, 12 losses to begin conference play. the awards keep piling up.
gbgreenie
Surge

Nice crowd, could see lots of promise for next year when Dunleavy cleared the bench, chemistry between freshman Wood and Crabtree. Future is very bright I, you could see with the bench cleared Wood and Crabtree looked good handling the ball on the fastbreak, good chemistry between the two freshman. When a team has so much youth and injuries getting the best combination on the floor is not easy as the young players develop. Confident that with the returning injured players, newcomers coming in next year and further development of players like Wood and Crabtree, this will be a special team a year out. Look at baseball so far, look how one player turned Fritz from those that wanted him discarded, to a hero. This negative noise will shut down next year. No doubt in my mind looking at the whole picture, too many are quick to attack versus evaluating from day one to now to penetrate cause and effect. If they took the time they would not be so negative. Roll Wave despite the Debbie downers!!!
sader24
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm Nice crowd, could see lots of promise for next year when Dunleavy cleared the bench, chemistry between freshman Wood and Crabtree. Future is very bright I, you could see with the bench cleared Wood and Crabtree looked good handling the ball on the fastbreak, good chemistry between the two freshman. When a team has so much youth and injuries getting the best combination on the floor is not easy as the young players develop. Confident that with the returning injured players, newcomers coming in next year and further development of players like Wood and Crabtree, this will be a special team a year out. Look at baseball so far, look how one player turned Fritz from those that wanted him discarded, to a hero. This negative noise will shut down next year. No doubt in my mind looking at the whole picture, too many are quick to attack versus evaluating from day one to now to penetrate cause and effect. If they took the time they would not be so negative. Roll Wave despite the Debbie downers!!!
Now I know you are trolling. Bravo.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:20 pm Nice crowd, could see lots of promise for next year when Dunleavy cleared the bench, chemistry between freshman Wood and Crabtree. Future is very bright I, you could see with the bench cleared Wood and Crabtree looked good handling the ball on the fastbreak, good chemistry between the two freshman. When a team has so much youth and injuries getting the best combination on the floor is not easy as the young players develop. Confident that with the returning injured players, newcomers coming in next year and further development of players like Wood and Crabtree, this will be a special team a year out. Look at baseball so far, look how one player turned Fritz from those that wanted him discarded, to a hero. This negative noise will shut down next year. No doubt in my mind looking at the whole picture, too many are quick to attack versus evaluating from day one to now to penetrate cause and effect. If they took the time they would not be so negative. Roll Wave despite the Debbie downers!!!
A true Trollmeister. 😂😂😂😂
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

By record and most metrics we are the worst team in Tulane history. I am sure many other past teams have had worse heart breaks and bad luck than a single non all conference player being injured.

Do we have some context for exactly how bad we are amongst the bottom dwellers of the ncaa ? I know we are WAY WAY down there. We are literally the UCONN football team in basketball, historically awful. Out of 350 teams where are we ?

Edit: real time RPI has us at # 308 on their power rankings, there is no team below us from a P6 conference. Cal Berkeley is the closest at 290. Truly amazing
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 pm Edit: real time RPI has us at # 308 on their power rankings, there is no team below us from a P6 conference. Cal Berkeley is the closest at 290. Truly amazing
That's not even the worst of it. With a RPI of 308 (and a NET of 298), Tulane would be at or near the bottom of just about ANY conference you can think of, not just "power" conferences.
WavyHoops
High Tide

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:02 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 pm Edit: real time RPI has us at # 308 on their power rankings, there is no team below us from a P6 conference. Cal Berkeley is the closest at 290. Truly amazing
That's not even the worst of it. With a RPI of 308 (and a NET of 298), Tulane would be at or near the bottom of just about ANY conference you can think of, not just "power" conferences.

Tulane is objectively one of the worst D1 basketball teams in the country yet that doesn't seem to bother anyone in charge.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Six year contract? I can hold out.

phpBB [video]
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

LMFAO, Lantern!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

God Bless Everyone!
WavyHoops
High Tide

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... atform=amp

Good news: AAC is a power conference and above the Pac 10.

Bad news:: Tulane and ECU are awful and hurting the rest of the conference.

If I were ECU I'd be pissed to be connected with Tulane. At least they somehow beat Cinci.
oliveandblue
Surge

I think it's clear that the AD doesn't want to pay the buyout and will instead use money elsewhere in the program.

It sucks because it means that basketball is basically in 3 year dead period.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:22 am I think it's clear that the AD doesn't want to pay the buyout and will instead use money elsewhere in the program.

It sucks because it means that basketball is basically in 3 year dead period.
and we thoiught the "dead period" in regards to point shaving was bad....hell it was a great vacation
Last edited by golfnut69 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

This makes me sick because I can’t stand Joe Aleva. Old Joe is running circles around Dannen with his hirings and his refusal to play Tulane in baseball Uptown now. His basketball hire Will Wade is now the most loved person on the LSU campus while Mike Dunleavy is the most despised person over here. Go figure. Wade 11-1 in conference in his 3rd year while Dunleavy is 0-12 in the same period. LSU fans may be concerned about losing Wade to a better program meanwhile here at Tulane our fans are begging that Dunleavy be fired. LSU ranked top 15, Tulane not in top 300. The same beat goes on. We all know that Tulane won’t Show Me that they are now serious about winning because they plan on bringing back the worst basketball coach in the history of the school one more year. PERIOD.
https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/02/nation ... -wade.html
netshorty
Surge

Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am This makes me sick because I can’t stand Joe Aleva. Old Joe is running circles around Dannen with his hirings and his refusal to play Tulane in baseball Uptown now. His basketball hire Will Wade is now the most loved person on the LSU campus while Mike Dunleavy is the most despised person over here. Go figure. Wade 11-1 in conference in his 3rd year while Dunleavy is 0-12 in the same period. LSU fans may be concerned about losing Wade to a better program meanwhile here at Tulane our fans are begging that Dunleavy be fired. LSU ranked top 15, Tulane not in top 300. The same beat goes on. We all know that Tulane won’t Show Me that they are now serious about winning because they plan on bringing back the worst basketball coach in the history of the school one more year. PERIOD.
https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/02/nation ... -wade.html
I think most people are of the opinion that giving MD one more year likely means he'll get 2 more years. Here's why.

This year (year 3) = Year 1 of his rebuild. Set the bar really, really low.

Next year (year 4) = Year 2 of his rebuild. Eclipse the win total from the previous year before conference play starts and have everyone talking about how much better we are then the previous year. End the year with a sub .500 record, but doubling the win total means we're an improving program. Bring MD back.
This will start talk about expecting to "compete for an NIT invite" the following year. Let's hope this doesn't lead to a contract extension!

2 Years from now (year 5) = Year 1 and Year 3. Recycle some old excuses and come up with a few new ones. Maybe he doesn't sink to single-digit wins and can talk his way into finishing out his contract?

It's like a really bad version of the movie Groundhog Day that spans 2 year periods. Crater, Improve a little, Crater, Improve a little... This one takes us at least through Year 5 (the final crater and a smaller buyout).
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I don’t believe he will get two more years. I don’t know what the bar is next year to get him fired, probably last place in the conference.

I also truly wonder if we lose out if Troy doesn’t reconsider, similarly to houston (after getting crushed by army), and ask him to move on. I don’t believe Troy wants the record of “worst team in Tulane history and I brought back the coach”.