FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Show Me
Tsunami

I just realized Tulane just gave us a collectors item unknowingly. Save your schedule poster and card for this team. You’ll have a piece of history there. Worst in Tulane basketball history.

netshorty
Surge

Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am This makes me sick because I can’t stand Joe Aleva. Old Joe is running circles around Dannen with his hirings and his refusal to play Tulane in baseball Uptown now. His basketball hire Will Wade is now the most loved person on the LSU campus while Mike Dunleavy is the most despised person over here. Go figure. Wade 11-1 in conference in his 3rd year while Dunleavy is 0-12 in the same period. LSU fans may be concerned about losing Wade to a better program meanwhile here at Tulane our fans are begging that Dunleavy be fired. LSU ranked top 15, Tulane not in top 300. The same beat goes on. We all know that Tulane won’t Show Me that they are now serious about winning because they plan on bringing back the worst basketball coach in the history of the school one more year. PERIOD.
https://www.nola.com/lsu/2019/02/nation ... -wade.html
old saying if you ain't cheating you ain't trying...
Wade subpoenaed...
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-arizon ... 49786.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am This makes me sick because I can’t stand Joe Aleva. Old Joe is running circles around Dannen with his hirings and his refusal to play Tulane in baseball Uptown now. His basketball hire Will Wade is now the most loved person on the LSU campus while Mike Dunleavy is the most despised person over here. Go figure. Wade 11-1 in conference in his 3rd year while Dunleavy is 0-12 in the same period. LSU fans may be concerned about losing Wade to a better program meanwhile here at Tulane our fans are begging that Dunleavy be fired. LSU ranked top 15, Tulane not in top 300. The same beat goes on. We all know that Tulane won’t Show Me that they are now serious about winning because they plan on bringing back the worst basketball coach in the history of the school one more year. PERIOD.
Wade subpoenaed...
LSU been rumored cheating for years. Rarely has anything happened if true but a slap on the wrist. The only difference they now have a good coach that can win with those players. Nothing will come of this as well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm
netshorty wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm
Wade subpoenaed...
LSU been rumored cheating for years. Rarely has anything happened if true but a slap on the wrist. The only difference they now have a good coach that can win with those players. Nothing will come of this as well.
Just the same, it is one thing to lie to the NCAA, and quite another to commit perjury in federal court.. :wave: And, since the federal corruption trial isn't until April 22nd, the Wade subpoena will hang over 'dem T-i-g-g-g-e-r-s throughout all of March Madness. :headstand:
gbgreenie
Surge

Wake up surge look at LSU's revenue and coaches salaries, no possible way can we hire the same coaches as LSU hires. lst we don't have revenue to pay LSU size salaries, nor would we ever, 2nd look at LSU facilities and fan support all very important for recruiting and maintaining a lst rate Athletic Programs. All three are important in drawing the top coaches, so to do as you are doing comparing apples with oranges is a very ridiculous comparison!!!
What comes lst the chicken or the egg???
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie would be such a natural fit for the other board. Why here?
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 pm gbgreenie would be such a natural fit for the other board. Why here?
Oh, I'm sure he's got an account over there as well. :)
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I will eagerly be rooting for jail time or just the overall destruction of LSU’s athletics programs. Not likely, but we shall see
Wave755
Tsunami

Below I have attached a succinct article for the Duke basketball view of the Will Wade mess for his testimony "options" if subpoenaed to federal court for the basketball corruption trial..

Wade dare not take the fifth or perjure himself either - Wade is in a "double bind," to say the least. If he takes the fifth, even an LSU would have to ask for his resignation, or for failure to do so, fire him. If he perjures himself, he will do so with federal prosecutors seated in court listening to his every word while a court reporter transcribes his testimony. What a pall this mess has cast on the LSU 2018-19 basketball season. :D

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/20 ... an-dawkins
GreenLantern
Riptide

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I know hardly anything about the Wade case other than it sounds as if he is in a bit of a mess. Googling about, it appears as if third parties may have aided recruitment of LSU players with financial incentives. No article is to be found with detailed specifics of the case.

If anyone knows of a source, will you provide a link? If not that, how about a brief and simple summary of what's happening there?
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 pm At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I know hardly anything about the Wade case other than it sounds as if he is in a bit of a mess. Googling about, it appears as if third parties may have aided recruitment of LSU players with financial incentives. No article is to be found with detailed specifics of the case.

If anyone knows of a source, will you provide a link? If not that, how about a brief and simple summary of what's happening there?
This SI article does a nice job of explaining the case for the wire fraud convictions obtained in late 2018. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... an-dawkins
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

During the last broadcast, the announcers mentioned that last year Tulane was one of the very select group of schools (forget the number) with two players who signed an NBA contract. Yet somehow with a healthy PG we went 14-17 (5-13) losing the last nine. All in the seventh best conference in a down year. It really is amazing.

I guess the flip side is that one can argue the MD helped to make these players good enough to get signed. Idk.
netshorty
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 pm During the last broadcast, the announcers mentioned that last year Tulane was one of the very select group of schools (forget the number) with two players who signed an NBA contract. Yet somehow with a healthy PG we went 14-17 (5-13) losing the last nine. All in the seventh best conference in a down year. It really is amazing.

I guess the flip side is that one can argue the MD helped to make these players good enough to get signed. Idk.
The announcers said we were 1 of 12 schools who have 2 players from last year's team in the NBA. However I believe the actual number is 1 of 14. Regardless, you share the same opinion as 99% of the fans.

This lack of PG excuse (and it's the only defense I've heard of why this season has been one of the worst in history) was debunked just last year. As you point out, we had the same PG last year as the one we were counting on this year. That PG had more talent around him with more experience then this years team. Yet we won only 5 of 18 conference games and only 1 of the last 10. I will agree that having a PG may have won us a couple of conference games and spared us from being the worst of all-time. But it should be clear to everyone that with or without a PG and with or without talent and experience, MD is a really bad coach. The only thing having a PG does for MD is possibly keep him from being the worst of the worst. But as he's 100%responsible for his roster and his coaching, he is well deserving of the being the worst (by a long shot) in program history.

And the flip side argument of him getting kids to the NBA. I won't argue for or against MD's capabilities of getting players to the next level. As a fan, I am happy for the players taking the next step and hope some of the $MM contracts flow back into the program. But honestly if it doesn't translate into wins for the team then I don't really care. MD can sell that as a recruiting tool but I have no confidence that a team of all 4 star recruits would fair better than middle of the pack of the AAC under MD's coaching. He's just really bad.
netshorty
Surge

For those keeping score...
- 19 straight conference losses
- 1 win in last 26 conference games.
- last conference win was 372 days ago.
- 2 losses away from the first ever winless conference record in school history. will likely be double digit dogs v WSU and USF
- 18 straight season losses.
- last win this season was 66 days ago
- MD has worst career winning pct (overall and in conference) of any coach in program history
- 1/2 the number of wins through 3 years compared to Conroy in his first 3 years.
- This year ranked 300+ of 350 teams in NET (new system replacing RPI ranking), Total Offense, Total Defense and Turnovers.
- Likely will break own record of worst end of season power ranking. Current program low (since measuring RPI or NET) was Dunleavy's first season when we finished 292nd.

Ignoring this level of futility, ignoring his results from the first two seasons that were not hampered by season ending injuries and blaming this year's results on the loss of one PG is ridiculous. The analysis of this inability to coach is not a knee-jerk reaction. We have 3 years of results to know what we're going to get with MD.
netshorty
Surge

What MD has done in his 3 years is not only the worst of the worst but he has shattered most of the all-time worst records. Assuming we lose to Memphis in the first round of the tourney, here's Dunleavy's resume at Tulane:

YR 1 6-25 (3-15) - 1st RD loss in conf tourney
YR 2 14-17 (5-13) - 1st RD loss in conf tourney
YR 3 4-27 (0-18) - 1sr RD loss in conf tourney

TOT 24-69 {8-46)

compared to all other coaches in Tulane history who coached at least 2 seasons, he holds the following records:
- longest conf losing steak (22 games) - still active
- worst start to conf schedule - 18 losses (previous record 11 losses)
- worst conference record (0-18) (previous record 1-13)
- only winless conference season record
- lowest overall career winning pct (.258) 50 points lower than previous record
- lowest conf career winning pct (.148) 70 points lower than previous record
- lowest power rating in school history since measuring RPI (breaking his own record of 292 in Yr 1) - projected at 300+

Historically bad
- 1 win in last 29 conference games.
- 21 straight season losses. (one shy of the record 22 in 1955)

Since the death penalty, compared to other coaches:through 3 years of their tenure
- Clark had 17 more wins, 8 more in conference
- Finney had 15 more wins, 7 more in conference
- Dickerson had 22 more wins, 13 more in conference<
- Conroy had 24 more wins (2x Dunleavy), 4 more in conference

It is mind-boggling how bad this guy is. Can't wait for year 4!
WavyHoops
High Tide

Apparently, one does not need to go winless in conference in order to be fired:
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/F ... 679128.php
gbgreenie
Surge

Why in the hell do you negative annies feel you need to take up everyones time trying to justify how right you are about Dunleavy, who gives a hoot, he is not going anywhere, as the last game showed they have a potentially strong team next season. Dunleavy is growing with the team and they love him and the opportunity to have him help develop their skills for possible NBA spots. He did an outstanding coaching job Sat. Semir, Daniels and Crabtree are going to be a strong nucleus to build around along with the growth potential of Wood. Very young team great potential. Two years there is a strong potential to be competing for the AAC Championship after a strong turnaround next season. Have never been so energized on the direction of the program with Dannon, he really cares for the kids and wants them to experience great coaching and experience at Tulane. He sat on the bench with Perry Nickerson and Doss former Tulane and current NFL players. Then hugged both Paul and Cornish after the game. He is a role model of what an Athletic Director should be through his Leadership and Caring for the Student Athletes. The word will spread, recruiting will keep building up if you negative annies living in the past can let it go, and be a help to the Athletic Program not a weight that weighs it down. Strong positive promotion is what this program needs moving forward. Join in or be run over because it is happening be part of the solution or die as part of the past problems, grow up fellows!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yawn- ignore
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

GBG I am sure myself and several others here will happily make a wager that we won’t sniff being .500 in conference next year under this staff. Put your money where your mouth is- $100 ? $1000?
netshorty
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 am GBG I am sure myself and several others here will happily make a wager that we won’t sniff being .500 in conference next year under this staff. Put your money where your mouth is- $100 ? $1000?
If his investment strategy aligns with his analysis of MD I'm pretty sure he's lost everything on Enron and Blockbuster and there's nothing left to wager.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 am GBG I am sure myself and several others here will happily make a wager that we won’t sniff being .500 in conference next year under this staff. Put your money where your mouth is- $100 ? $1000?
If his investment strategy aligns with his analysis of MD I'm pretty sure he's lost everything on Enron and Blockbuster and there's nothing left to wager.
this just in...GBG, is actually Will Wade
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

Once the season is over and Dunleavy is NOT fired, can we get some agreement on when we stop dwelling on it? One week after the season ends? One week after NCAA Championship game? At some point we just need to move on to the next complaint. Let the Jewett hate begin, and we need to find something about Spring football to blame Troy Dannen for.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 am Once the season is over and Dunleavy is NOT fired, can we get some agreement on when we stop dwelling on it? One week after the season ends? One week after NCAA Championship game? At some point we just need to move on to the next complaint. Let the Jewett hate begin, and we need to find something about Spring football to blame Troy Dannen for.
Finally...someone with an organized agenda !!!!...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 am Once the season is over and Dunleavy is NOT fired, can we get some agreement on when we stop dwelling on it? One week after the season ends? One week after NCAA Championship game? At some point we just need to move on to the next complaint. Let the Jewett hate begin, and we need to find something about Spring football to blame Troy Dannen for.
If Dunleavy isn’t flushed soon after our “one and done” AAC tournament appearance, the focus of criticism should entirely shift from MD to Dannen. At this point MD is just taking full advantage of the situation—and will
continue to do so as long as Dannen allows him to. It’s like Dunleavy is baby seal clubbing the Tulane basketball program and Dannen is just standing by, watching, and doing nothing about it. Dannen has to know that their is zero chance that Dunleavy can turn this program around. If he doesn’t know that, then Dannen is gbg.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NotJtS
Low Tide

You're right. We should focus our displeasure on Dickson, I mean Dannen.