FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
oliveandblue
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 pm
TXWave88 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm These are not opinions. Records speak for themselves. I would say that when Dunleavy was hired, we expected wins. Wins from the result of splash hire recruiting and experienced coaching. I am not saying 30 wins. I am just saying wins. We haven't seen it yet. Basketball turnarounds occur within 2-3 years (this isn't football where you have turn over 50 players). Look at Sampson at Houston:
G W L
2014-15 Houston AAC 32 13 19 .406
2015-16 Houston AAC 32 22 10 .688
2016-17 Houston AAC 32 21 11 .656
2017-18 Houston AAC 35 27 8 .771 NCAA Tourney Bid; finished Ranked 21

Now they are ranked 9th in the country. When does this trajectory happen? If it is next year, everyone here will shut up and enjoy it. Problem is that we are doing the opposite of above.
Just look 80 miles up river in BR. Will Wade in his 3rd year has LSU ranked at 20-4, 10-1 in the SEC. Oh yea he just beat #5 Kentucky on the road tonight.
We beat LSU the last time we played them. Think about that for a second.

Profoundwizard
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm We're a football/baseball type of program now, I guess.

Patriot League hoops is our ceiling in terms of strength.
I guess you've checked out on the baseball program. Dannen has brought that program to shit as well.
Show Me
Tsunami

So you’re telling me we have to endure the worst basketball coach in Tulane history for 3 more years? This is worst than Rick Dickson.
It’s never been about winning at Tulane. Different AD same board. No accountability at all. I hope the fans don’t give another dime to basketball. Something dramatic needs to take place besides retaining MD for 3 more torturous years.
Only at Tulane can this stuff continue to be acceptable.
sader24
Tsunami

Will Wade seems to be on a different schedule.
Wave755
Tsunami

Reminds me of when CowDick gave “Buffet Bob” Toledo a year 5. And, remember how Ed Daniels reported his confidential source at the Superdome informed him the attendance scanner count was 972 for “Buffet Bob’s” last game as Tulane head coach for the UTEP game?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I can’t help but think that TD has a personal relationship with MD and it is clouding his judgement. Combine the relationship with the contract (I.e. the board might be refusing to pay a buyout and new coach).

The shine on TD has worn off. Baseball had it’s first back to back losing seasons since the goddam 1960’s. Bball is an absolute mess. Wbball is boring at best. Yes Fball looks improved but do not forget that the team basically had a desperation last drive and two point conversion to avoid another debilitating 5-7 season. Imagine if that last drive faultered, we would all be on suicide watch with how everything else is going.
Six years to MD is criminal. Smells fishy to me. The Frazier and Embo comments from TD are baseless as those two, along with a pro in Reynolds, were playing last year and the team STILL LOST THEIR LAST NINE CONFERENCE GAMES.
At the end of the day, TD came from a successful bball school that did a lot with very little. Now he has money to spend on bball and has failed, miserably.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Let’s all calm down a bit. Yes it’s dissapponting to be in a program state where we don’t show MD the door. No I don’t believe we are beholden to him for 3 more years. Nobody ever finishes their contract. MD does have some big time recruits coming to campus this weekend and has some others committed. I do agree if he can’t win with 2 nba draft picks then what changes when we have a bunch of highly recruited guys on the team ? Maybe More experiance in the college game will help him ? Handing off more responsibility to his lieutenants ? I’m not sure, but I don’t think the sky is falling, although it is certainly gloomy.

I am ready for some football

Edit: for the love of Pete please don’t talk about improving the teams GPA, what’s Rick Pitino doing these days ?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

another Tulane article, that has left me without words, and that is sayin' sumthin'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

This is complete nonsense. Yes,only at Tulame!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Last time we played LSU in basketball was an exhibition game and LSU had 2 of their starting 5 out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There are no recruits that he has coming in that are worth keeping him for. Only one is signed, Days, and he is offensively challenged.

As to MD"s claim that he thought Frazier was coming back is BS. He claims to know talent better than anyone. He was the one running his mouth how he had improved Frazier so greatly and that he was ready for the NBA.

The no taking JC's is a lie. We have one coming in next year.

Bottom line Tulane doesn't have the money for the buyout.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:09 am Let’s all calm down a bit. Yes it’s dissapponting to be in a program state where we don’t show MD the door. No I don’t believe we are beholden to him for 3 more years. Nobody ever finishes their contract. MD does have some big time recruits coming to campus this weekend and has some others committed. I do agree if he can’t win with 2 nba draft picks then what changes when we have a bunch of highly recruited guys on the team ? Maybe More experiance in the college game will help him ? Handing off more responsibility to his lieutenants ? I’m not sure, but I don’t think the sky is falling, although it is certainly gloomy.

I am ready for some football

Edit: for the love of Pete please don’t talk about improving the teams GPA, what’s Rick Pitino doing these days ?
Kinda sucks when the team GPA is higher then the conference wins!

you can spin the future however you want. The past and present are the truth.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed quoted Dannen saying Tulane doesn’t recruit JC’s

2019 class already has commitments from 6-10 Henri Langton, the No. 18 junior college prospect in the nation.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think winwave is right and Tulane doesn't have the money for the buyout. That puts this all on TD's shoulders.

I never thought Fritz was on the hot seat. But watching this basketball team is harder to take than the football team's offense the first half of the season. Both are ugly, but not having won a conference game in our last 19 or so opportunities, and not having won a game since mid December is just brutal.

Both Dannen and Dunleavy knew Frazier was leaving. Having no point guard is serious roster mis-management as well. Is the team trying? Yes. The offense doesn't look like we are running plays to create open shots. It's ugly.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
WavyHoops
High Tide

If I'm being charitable, I'll say that Dannen is not a complete idiot, knows this season is a total dumpster fire, but also knows that the reality is that he doesn't have the means to fire Dunleavy and still afford any kind of replacement. Therefore, he's basically doubling down by giving the coach public backing with the hope that it will help bring in better players (and keep the better incumbents on board).

One thing that I don't see anyone ever talk about are the assistant coaches. What is their role? Are they good? Bad? Responsible for this or that? Completely ignored?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Quote from Jeff Duncan TP article:
The 4-18 Green Wave will need to win one of their final eight games in the American Athletic Conference to avoid the first winless conference season in the 109-year history of the program.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NotJtS
Low Tide

I am "100%" sure then that Dannen is an idiot.
NotJtS
Low Tide

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:32 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm We're a football/baseball type of program now, I guess.

Patriot League hoops is our ceiling in terms of strength.
I guess you've checked out on the baseball program. Dannen has brought that program to shit as well.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Last I checked the baseball team was a complete shit show. The ONLY thing that has gone good for us this whole time after Cowen/Dickson has been the 2nd half of the 2018 football season. Let that sink in.
Bigschtick
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am If I'm being charitable, I'll say that Dannen is not a complete idiot, knows this season is a total dumpster fire, but also knows that the reality is that he doesn't have the means to fire Dunleavy and still afford any kind of replacement. Therefore, he's basically doubling down by giving the coach public backing with the hope that it will help bring in better players (and keep the better incumbents on board).

One thing that I don't see anyone ever talk about are the assistant coaches. What is their role? Are they good? Bad? Responsible for this or that? Completely ignored?

Good Points! Should never, ever have given the coach such a long contract!
So very typical Tulane move. I have lost all faith in Dannen.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
AugWave
Swell

Ok, quick question: Do you all know that we literally don't have a point guard? Seems like all everybody is looking at is our record but not at the actually game/roster makeup.

But I'm sure the usual suspects will say I'm wrong so, whatever.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

AugWave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm Ok, quick question: Do you all know that we literally don't have a point guard? Seems like all everybody is looking at is our record but not at the actually game/roster makeup.

OK...OK...so we need somebody to point and say "go over there"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

AugWave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:44 pm Ok, quick question: Do you all know that we literally don't have a point guard? Seems like all everybody is looking at is our record but not at the actually game/roster makeup.

Who’s responsible for constructing the roster? Dunleavy
How many more wins do we have with a healthy ROE?
3? 4 tops. Still pretty awful
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:08 am Quote from Jeff Duncan TP article:
The 4-18 Green Wave will need to win one of their final eight games in the American Athletic Conference to avoid the first winless conference season in the 109-year history of the program.
this could be a record beakin' kinda of season...who woulda though
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Who’s responsible for constructing the roster? Dunleavy
How many more wins do we have with a healthy ROE?
3? 4 tops. Still pretty awful
[/quote

]Plus we do have a PG- Barrett who MD recruited and had had for two years.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Citypark
Ripple

I agree with so much of what has been written about Tulane basketball on this site. While I do not have the expertise to evaluate a college basketball coach, I can add a extremely disappointing fact to the discussion.

During the past three weeks, I had extended conversations with three basketball coaches in the New Orleans area. These men head three of the most successful programs in terms of championships and the production of division one players.

I asked these men what they thought of Coach Dunleavy. Every one stated that they have not seen or spoken to Mr. Dunleavy or anyone associated with the Tulane basketball program since Coach Dunleavy’s arrival.

This is very problematic!!!