FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 am If we give MD another year we will fall into the same trap we did in years 1 and 2 and delay the rebuild another 2 years.

Year 1 MD took over a team coming off of a 12 win (3 conf) season that lost Dabney (a career 38% shooter) and Dylan O. He added Ona Embo, Slater and Reyes. He inherited Reynolds, Morgan, Frazier, Harris. and others with another year of experience. Surprisingly, Ryan Smith offset most of the production lost from Dylan O. The result? Half the number of overall wins and the same crappy conference record that got Conroy fired. <b>Our season ending RPI was a historic low of 292.</b> iThis should have been the initial eye opener. Instead we allow for excuses. Cupboard was half full, gotta learn the offense, takes time to build, blah blah blah.

Year 2 MD accomplishes what Conroy excelled at. Win some OOC games and stink it up in conference. But because he failed so miserably in year 1, year 2 showed "improvement" with a losing record. This despite having talent (2 NBA camp kids) and a healthy point guard who had spent the off-season playing for the French national U20 team to gain more experience. Low bar syndrome at its best (or worst). We finish the year losing 9 of 10.

So year 3 comes around. Somehow unrealistic expectations were set by TD that we'd be competing for an NIT post season birth. We lose our starting point guard, the same one that was leading the team that lost 9 of the final 10 games last year with Reynolds and Frazier. MD has failed to recruited a 2nd string PG. We lose to the worst programs in the country. We've lost every conference game thus far this year. But somehow people believe that MD is capable of making us a winner?

This year shouldn't have come as a surprise. And if MD is coach next year here's what will happen. We'll win 10 games. Ridiculously this will be seen as upward momentum and the program is heading upward. News of some new recruits will cause folks to predict we'll compete for an NIT birth the following year. sound familiar?

the true definition of insanity.
I don't usually include an entire post of this length when I'm following with a comment. This deserves to be reposted in its entirety. It is required reading for Tulane fans.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nothing to be said, about being the best of the worse...words fail me, now that's say something !
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 am If we give MD another year we will fall into the same trap we did in years 1 and 2 and delay the rebuild another 2 years.

Year 1 MD took over a team coming off of a 12 win (3 conf) season that lost Dabney (a career 38% shooter) and Dylan O. He added Ona Embo, Slater and Reyes. He inherited Reynolds, Morgan, Frazier, Harris. and others with another year of experience. Surprisingly, Ryan Smith offset most of the production lost from Dylan O. The result? Half the number of overall wins and the same crappy conference record that got Conroy fired. <b>Our season ending RPI was a historic low of 292.</b> iThis should have been the initial eye opener. Instead we allow for excuses. Cupboard was half full, gotta learn the offense, takes time to build, blah blah blah.

Year 2 MD accomplishes what Conroy excelled at. Win some OOC games and stink it up in conference. But because he failed so miserably in year 1, year 2 showed "improvement" with a losing record. This despite having talent (2 NBA camp kids) and a healthy point guard who had spent the off-season playing for the French national U20 team to gain more experience. Low bar syndrome at its best (or worst). We finish the year losing 9 of 10.

So year 3 comes around. Somehow unrealistic expectations were set by TD that we'd be competing for an NIT post season birth. We lose our starting point guard, the same one that was leading the team that lost 9 of the final 10 games last year with Reynolds and Frazier. MD has failed to recruited a 2nd string PG. We lose to the worst programs in the country. We've lost every conference game thus far this year. But somehow people believe that MD is capable of making us a winner?

This year shouldn't have come as a surprise. And if MD is coach next year here's what will happen. We'll win 10 games. Ridiculously this will be seen as upward momentum and the program is heading upward. News of some new recruits will cause folks to predict we'll compete for an NIT birth the following year. sound familiar?

the true definition of insanity.
Post of the year (so far)
I agree 100%
The bar is already so low at Tulane I have no doubt he’ll be back next year and win 10-12 games which will be considered “improvement” therefore guaranteeing him a 5th year. :o
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am The bar is already so low at Tulane I have no doubt he’ll be back next year and win 10-12 games which will be considered “improvement” therefore guaranteeing him a 5th year. :o
I guess we're beating a dead horse with this thread, and I have doubts about whether there are truly any fans that believe MD is the answer (e.g. gbgreenie is a troll) but I fear that anEngineer may be correct and that financials could play a role in his return. That plus this would require TD's first admission to making a coaching hire mistake, which may result in leniency and/or him buying some BS excuses by MD. This is not about talent or injuries. It is simply about competency, of which he has none.

As it relates to TD, i thought the hire was out of the box and I initially bought into his thought process. While this was a swing and miss, and will be a blemish in his resume, he needs to stop the bleeding before all confidence is lost in his vision and decision making.
gbgreenie
Surge

You are pathetic troll my ass, the only one that understands the total situation and what is happening with the lack of a true point guard. I was right with Willie and will be right with Dunleavy. I know more on my thumb than most of you will ever know. This post has been a disgrace to the University, a total disregard for Dannon and Dunleavy, just plain pathetic and counter productive to the future of The Green Wave Athletic Program.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Dunleavy needs to retire. The man does not have what it takes to be a succesful college coach. The college game has completely passed him by and he looks lost and unsure of himself as head coach. The program has turned into a complete disaster and it will take a new head coach with a ton of energy and know how to clean up Dunleavy’s mess.
Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm You are pathetic troll my ass, the only one that understands the total situation and what is happening with the lack of a true point guard. I was right with Willie and will be right with Dunleavy. I know more on my thumb than most of you will ever know. This post has been a disgrace to the University, a total disregard for Dannon and Dunleavy, just plain pathetic and counter productive to the future of The Green Wave Athletic Program.
Last year Dunleavy had 2 NBA guys and plenty of point guards. Expanding over part of last season in Dunleavy’s last 20 AAC games he is now 1-19 in conference games. He hasn’t won an AAC game since February 2018.
That my friend is just plain pathetic and counter productive to the future of The Green Wave Athletic Program. Either it’s coaching, talent or lack of depth choose one or all 3 but Dunleavy owns them all. And if Dannen holds on to MD another year he will own it all.
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm You are pathetic troll my ass, the only one that understands the total situation and what is happening with the lack of a true point guard. I was right with Willie and will be right with Dunleavy. I know more on my thumb than most of you will ever know. This post has been a disgrace to the University, a total disregard for Dannon and Dunleavy, just plain pathetic and counter productive to the future of The Green Wave Athletic Program.
According to gbgreenie, the following items are optional: capitalization, punctuation, good grammar, and wins for the basketball program.
netshorty
Surge

I'll admit that I don't know what's on his thumb.

The lack of acknowledgement that we have 2 years of results of what this coach can do with a PG and some pretty decent talent makes the argument he can make us a winner (if he had these two ingredients) in the future baseless. However, I will agree that we are handicapped this year (at the fault of MD) of not having a capable PG. Optimistically, with a. PG, we may have been able to get to 10 wins this year? Still a pathetic 3rd year.
gbgreenie
Surge

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay

Mike Dunleavy Sr., Tulane Green Wave (24-60 in third season)
What his detractors would say: It has been a truly dreadful season for the Green Wave. They haven't won a conference game yet, and lost nonconference games to the likes of South Alabama, Southeastern Louisiana, Towson and Alabama A&M. They've won eight American Athletic Conference games total in three seasons. Dunleavy will be 65 in March; maybe he's just not cut out for college.
Why his firing would be unjust: What did you expect when he was hired? Dunleavy had never coached a minute of college basketball before the Green Wave made the call. And he took over a program that went 3-15 in the league the season before. There were some positive signs last season, and he has had some success on the recruiting trail since taking over. -- Jeff Borzello
Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 pm http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay

Mike Dunleavy Sr., Tulane Green Wave (24-60 in third season)
What his detractors would say: It has been a truly dreadful season for the Green Wave. They haven't won a conference game yet, and lost nonconference games to the likes of South Alabama, Southeastern Louisiana, Towson and Alabama A&M. They've won eight American Athletic Conference games total in three seasons. Dunleavy will be 65 in March; maybe he's just not cut out for college.
Why his firing would be unjust: What did you expect when he was hired? Dunleavy had never coached a minute of college basketball before the Green Wave made the call. And he took over a program that went 3-15 in the league the season before. There were some positive signs last season, and he has had some success on the recruiting trail since taking over. -- Jeff Borzello
Tell Jeff Bozo this:
Even Ed Conroy won 20 games in his 3rd year. Dunleavy couldn’t win with Duke’s talent.
TXWave88
Surge

These are not opinions. Records speak for themselves. I would say that when Dunleavy was hired, we expected wins. Wins from the result of splash hire recruiting and experienced coaching. I am not saying 30 wins. I am just saying wins. We haven't seen it yet. Basketball turnarounds occur within 2-3 years (this isn't football where you have turn over 50 players). Look at Sampson at Houston:
G W L
2014-15 Houston AAC 32 13 19 .406
2015-16 Houston AAC 32 22 10 .688
2016-17 Houston AAC 32 21 11 .656
2017-18 Houston AAC 35 27 8 .771 NCAA Tourney Bid; finished Ranked 21

Now they are ranked 9th in the country. When does this trajectory happen? If it is next year, everyone here will shut up and enjoy it. Problem is that we are doing the opposite of above.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TXWave88 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm These are not opinions. Records speak for themselves. I would say that when Dunleavy was hired, we expected wins. Wins from the result of splash hire recruiting and experienced coaching. I am not saying 30 wins. I am just saying wins. We haven't seen it yet. Basketball turnarounds occur within 2-3 years (this isn't football where you have turn over 50 players). Look at Sampson at Houston:
G W L

Now they are ranked 9th in the country. When does this trajectory happen? If it is next year, everyone here will shut up and enjoy it. Problem is that we are doing the opposite of above.
Just look 80 miles up river in BR. Will Wade in his 3rd year has LSU ranked at 20-4, 10-1 in the SEC. Oh yea he just beat #5 Kentucky on the road tonight.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

Wow. Just Wow.
netshorty
Surge

Then we are in terrible hands with a man that is either afraid to admit a mistake, not smart enough to realize that we are exponentially worse 3 years into this "rebuild", or has negotiated a contract that handcuffs him from making the right choice.

Hoping this is setting up a graceful exit for Dunleavy by resigning without the stigma that he was forced out. But probably just wishful thinking.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Only at Tulane. God help us.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

“It has never been a question for me,” said Tulane director of athletics Troy Dannen when asked if men’s basketball coach Mike Dunleavy would return for next season.

“100 percent,” said Dannen in a phone interview Tuesday night.

Tulane is currently on a 12 game losing streak, and is 0-10 in league play in the American Athletic Conference. Tulane hosts Tulsa Thursday night.

Dannen said that Dunleavy, who is in the third year of a six year contract, is having success on the recruiting trail. And, Dannen said he expected that Melvin Frazier, who declared for the NBA draft, and point guard Ray Ona Embo would be a part of this year’s team. Ona Embo has missed the entire season with a knee injury.

“This season is a matter of circumstance,” said Dannen. “It is not a fundamental problem.”

Dannen said Tulane is having success on the recruiting trail, and that Seton Hall transfer, guard Jordan Walker, is expect to be a big boost next season.

Dannen said Tulane will not use junior college players to quickly bolster its program. “We have to recruit freshman who come here and play for four years.”

Dannen said Dunleavy has already bolstered the team’s grade point average. He said when Dunleavy arrived, the team GPA was 1.99. This year, he said it is 3.15. And Dannen said that when the APR scores are released later this year, Tulane’s APR for men’s basketball for last year will be a perfect 1000.

“Everyone wants to win more,” said Dannen. “But, we knew this would be a huge rebuild.”

And, he said morale on the Tulane basketball is good.

“Nobody’s quitting on each other,” said Dannen. “It is just the opposite in practice, and in games.”
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm Well we do have cool uniforms:

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/photo ... all-season
We should NEVER WEAR purple and gold anything . Dannen and Dumbleavy do not get Tulane BB .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TXWave88 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:16 pm These are not opinions. Records speak for themselves. I would say that when Dunleavy was hired, we expected wins. Wins from the result of splash hire recruiting and experienced coaching. I am not saying 30 wins. I am just saying wins. We haven't seen it yet. Basketball turnarounds occur within 2-3 years (this isn't football where you have turn over 50 players). Look at Sampson at Houston:
G W L

Dead on accurate post. Instead of turning things around WE SUCK!

Dunleavy for three more years means we don't give a crap about wins and losses. C'mon Mr. Dannen, FIX YOUR MISTAKE.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 pm Only at Tulane. God help us.
Hard to believe it’s happening again. But yes.
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Well, a tip of the hat goes to gbgreenie. At least we have discovered his identity (pssst....it's Troy Dannen).

And gosh darn it, I thought we were supposed to feel disappointment when we didn't win games. Turns out that it's patience we should be learning. I've always heard that it builds character when gratification is delayed. Tulane basketball fans should have immeasurable character within a couple more years.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Good luck with the seat licenses. And good luck getting more than 4-500/game next year when we continue to stink up the gym. Pull the plug on an experiment that is failing miserably.

Who can safely operate a drone with a banner in Fogelman?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
oliveandblue
Surge

We're a football/baseball type of program now, I guess.

Patriot League hoops is our ceiling in terms of strength.