FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

Perry Clark went to the NCAA tournament in year 3 coming off the death penalty. And that was in a conference with 4 NCAA bids that season.

netshorty
Surge

Never really looked or cared previously, but with as bad as MD has been here I was now interested to check out MD's NBA career.

We are getting almost exactly what MD did in his last 3 years in the NBA before he resigned.

2008 23-59 (. 280)
2009 19-63 { 231}
2010 21-28 (. 438) - resigned
total 63-150 (. 296)

Sub. 300 look familiar?

Let's hope we see similar result that ends with an MD resignation this year.

this is the 7th straight year since 2006, spanning NBA and ncaa, that he has has a losing record. The more you dig the clearer it becomes that he is not the right coach to turn this program around.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 am Never really looked or cared previously, but with as bad as MD has been here I was now interested to check out MD's NBA career.

We are getting almost exactly what MD did in his last 3 years in the NBA before he resigned.

2008 23-59 (. 280)
2009 19-63 { 231}
2010 21-28 (. 438) - resigned
total 63-150 (. 296)

Sub. 300 look familiar?

Let's hope we see similar result that ends with an MD resignation this year.

this is the 7th straight year since 2006, spanning NBA and ncaa, that he has has a losing record. The more you dig the clearer it becomes that he is not the right coach to turn this program around.
Wow!! That is eye opening. MD isn’t just a really bad college basketball coach, he’s a really bad basketball coach period. Please Troy!! Stop the experiment—it has failed. Let’s move on.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
WavyHoops
High Tide

I posted an example elsewhere but if you google Dunleavy and Bill Simmons you will find all sorts of hilarious article where Simmons (then a LAC season ticket holder) just ripped MD a new one over and over again.

MD was a mediocre NBA coach. His two good runs were with unbelievably talented teams but otherwise he wasn't good at anything other than keeping his job, which may prove to be his biggest accomplishment at Tulane as well.
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 am I posted an example elsewhere but if you google Dunleavy and Bill Simmons you will find all sorts of hilarious article where Simmons (then a LAC season ticket holder) just ripped MD a new one over and over again.

MD was a mediocre NBA coach. His two good runs were with unbelievably talented teams but otherwise he wasn't good at anything other than keeping his job, which may prove to be his biggest accomplishment at Tulane as well.
The Dumbleavy article you posted was unfortunately very similar to what we've seen here. That article called out MD's game management and use (or lack thereof) of timeouts. This continues to be a HUGE issue. Give him all the talent in the world and an injury-free team and he will find several ways to lose.
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:56 am
WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 am I posted an example elsewhere but if you google Dunleavy and Bill Simmons you will find all sorts of hilarious article where Simmons (then a LAC season ticket holder) just ripped MD a new one over and over again.

The Dumbleavy article you posted was unfortunately very similar to what we've seen here. That article called out MD's game management and use (or lack thereof) of timeouts. This continues to be a HUGE issue. Give him all the talent in the world and an injury-free team and he will find several ways to lose.
I'm laughing and I'm crying.
ajcalhoun
Swell

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 am if you google Dunleavy and Bill Simmons you will find all sorts of hilarious article .
Or you could click this link and help Steve pay for this site:

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/090311
God Bless Everyone!
pansdad
Ripple

I know little about basketball. Being from the old school, I think the basket should be raised by at least two feet. I always pull for Tulane, but from what I have seen of this basketball season, a new coach is imperative.
nawlinspete
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:56 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:25 am if you google Dunleavy and Bill Simmons you will find all sorts of hilarious article .

Post of the 21st Century.... It is Deja Vu all over again....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
GreenLantern
Riptide

This has to be the funniest sports article I've ever read. Now I believe the best strategy is to keep Coach D. and hire Bill Simmons for comic relief. After reading this, I feel a lot better about our team. Except for how bad i feel.
WavyHoops
High Tide

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am

This has to be the funniest sports article I've ever read. Now I believe the best strategy is to keep Coach D. and hire Bill Simmons for comic relief. After reading this, I feel a lot better about our team. Except for how bad i feel.
Given Simmons’ hatred of Dunleavy, I’m actually a little surprised he hasn’t picked up on the Green Wave’s travails under the purported coaching legend.
puffy
Surge

I had some hope for this hire, but neither on court performance nor recruiting has experienced a significant uptick. Conroy got in more talented players (who either underperformed and/or transferred). The one thing that I can say is that individually players do seem to progress in their overall skill (with the exception of Cornish). But it clearly doesn't translate from a team standpoint, where the individual parts far exceed the total sum.

I wouldn't mind Dunleavy as a figurehead type of coach at this point. This may mean giving his lead assistants more/all responsibility with respect to substitutions and play-calling, or bringing in a coach-in-waiting type who would serve that role. I'd leave MD for the individual skill development standpoint and for having a national name as coach.

I think MD gets one more season. I think ROE would've help significantly earlier in the year, and his absence has really hurt the team's success. There's been nothing coming from Dannen, either a vote of confidence or "we're worried too", which is kind of concerning.

You just hope that a healed ROE, the Seton Hall transfer, and a progressed Zhang/Crabtree/Wood can form a a cohesive experienced team that can compete next season.
Eaglewave
Swell

puffy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:38 am I had some hope for this hire, but neither on court performance nor recruiting has experienced a significant uptick. Conroy got in more talented players (who either underperformed and/or transferred). The one thing that I can say is that individually players do seem to progress in their overall skill (with the exception of Cornish). But it clearly doesn't translate from a team standpoint, where the individual parts far exceed the total sum.

I wouldn't mind Dunleavy as a figurehead type of coach at this point. This may mean giving his lead assistants more/all responsibility with respect to substitutions and play-calling, or bringing in a coach-in-waiting type who would serve that role. I'd leave MD for the individual skill development standpoint and for having a national name as coach.

I think MD gets one more season. I think ROE would've help significantly earlier in the year, and his absence has really hurt the team's success. There's been nothing coming from Dannen, either a vote of confidence or "we're worried too", which is kind of concerning.

You just hope that a healed ROE, the Seton Hall transfer, and a progressed Zhang/Crabtree/Wood can form a a cohesive experienced team that can compete next season.

I was “hoping” that we could win games this year! Dunleavy has had enough time to build a team that can beat SLU, ULL and Alabama A&M.
Ball Sumrall!
1989alum
Low Tide

Do we know what Dunleavy's pay package is?
gbgreenie
Surge

Edit

Delete post

Report this post

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 am
Give it up Dunleavy neysayers he ain't going any where this year or next, what don't you understand, you won't bully that decision from Dannon because it just won't happen. Are you that dense (pardon the expression ladies like dumb blondes nothing between your ears) to see the whole picture unfolding it starts with recruiting. Injuries particularly at point guard can cripple any team. Just give it up all you are doing is shoot blanks. GEEZZZZ
ajcalhoun
Swell

This dude (gbgreenie) is trolling the fuck out of us.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am This dude (gbgreenie) is trolling the fuck out of us.
Not a Kiss, or an 'I Love U" and let's not speak of the punctuation of gbg's post
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:36 am Edit

Delete post

Report this post

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:35 am
Give it up Dunleavy neysayers he ain't going any where this year or next, what don't you understand, you won't bully that decision from Dannon because it just won't happen. Are you that dense (pardon the expression ladies like dumb blondes nothing between your ears) to see the whole picture unfolding it starts with recruiting. Injuries particularly at point guard can cripple any team. Just give it up all you are doing is shoot blanks. GEEZZZZ
A little Q&A trolling here with GBG:
SM
Q: What is the Safest job in America?

GBG
A: A losing coach at Tulane University.

SM
Q: Why is that?

GBG
A: We all know Tulane couldn’t care less about Wins and Losses. Bringing back the worst coach in Tulane basketball history again next year will “show” you that.

SM
Q: What is the second Safest job in America?

GBG
A: The AD job at Tulane University

SM
Q: Why?

GBG:
A: Because the Tulane Board couldn’t care less about having a successful athletic department. They are too busy running their own successful businesses where they demand accountability.

SM
Reply: Ok I get it. So the avg Tulane fan will just have to suck it up and continue to pay to see losing Uptown and the media won’t care?

GBG
A: Reply: Yes Show Me that is correct. Now bend over and pay your seat license next year it like all the other loyal fans will do. I will show you that Dunleavy is coming back to lose again in his 4th season.
Bigschtick
Riptide

1989alum wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:53 pm Do we know what Dunleavy's pay package is?

You mean overpay package?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:38 am
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 am This dude (gbgreenie) is trolling the fuck out of us.
Not a Kiss, or an 'I Love U" and let's not speak of the punctuation of gbg's post
Its that moron "Jonathan".
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:38 am
Nor the spelling. He thinks our athletic director is from the yogurt family.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He sure is!

And he gets more ridiculous with every loss. Claims of the "most talented team in Tulane Basketball history" and "Best recruit ever" (for a guy averaging 2 ppg!) should just be ignored. Dunleavy will do the right thing, hopefully, and step down at season's end day 1 or 2 of the AAC tournament.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I knew gbgreenie was a troll when I asked him why Mike Dunleavy didn’t win last year with Melvin Frazier and Cam Reynolds. Gbgreenie ducked the question and said that Dunleavy did a great job making those two players better and ready for the NBA. Gbgreenie would not answer the question as to why Tulane did not win nearly as many games as they should have last year with studs like Frazier and Reynolds. Shortly thereafter gbgreenie started trolling us again with how we have such great recruits coming in next year. Even if true these new recruits won’t be better than Frazier and Reynolds which means that Dunleavy won’t win many basketball games next year because he is a terrible college coach. Let’s hope for the sake of the men’s basketball program that Mike Dunleavy is no longer at Tulane upon the conclusion of this season.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So who should we hire gents ?
netshorty
Surge

If we give MD another year we will fall into the same trap we did in years 1 and 2 and delay the rebuild another 2 years.

Year 1 MD took over a team coming off of a 12 win (3 conf) season that lost Dabney (a career 38% shooter) and Dylan O. He added Ona Embo, Slater and Reyes. He inherited Reynolds, Morgan, Frazier, Harris. and others with another year of experience. Surprisingly, Ryan Smith offset most of the production lost from Dylan O. The result? Half the number of overall wins and the same crappy conference record that got Conroy fired. <b>Our season ending RPI was a historic low of 292.</b> iThis should have been the initial eye opener. Instead we allow for excuses. Cupboard was half full, gotta learn the offense, takes time to build, blah blah blah.

Year 2 MD accomplishes what Conroy excelled at. Win some OOC games and stink it up in conference. But because he failed so miserably in year 1, year 2 showed "improvement" with a losing record. This despite having talent (2 NBA camp kids) and a healthy point guard who had spent the off-season playing for the French national U20 team to gain more experience. Low bar syndrome at its best (or worst). We finish the year losing 9 of 10.

So year 3 comes around. Somehow unrealistic expectations were set by TD that we'd be competing for an NIT post season birth. We lose our starting point guard, the same one that was leading the team that lost 9 of the final 10 games last year with Reynolds and Frazier. MD has failed to recruited a 2nd string PG. We lose to the worst programs in the country. We've lost every conference game thus far this year. But somehow people believe that MD is capable of making us a winner?

This year shouldn't have come as a surprise. And if MD is coach next year here's what will happen. We'll win 10 games. Ridiculously this will be seen as upward momentum and the program is heading upward. News of some new recruits will cause folks to predict we'll compete for an NIT birth the following year. sound familiar?

the true definition of insanity.