FIRE Mike Dunleavy the worst of the worst in Tulane history

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

Overall winning pct has fallen to. 296 (24-57). Conference is .178. (8-35 reg season, 0-2 tourney)

He's won 1 of the last 17 conference games dating back to last year. That win came against last place USF in Feb 2018.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 pm Overall winning pct has fallen to. 296 (24-57). Conference is .178. (8-35 reg season, 0-2 tourney)

He's won 1 of the last 17 conference games dating back to last year. That win came against last place USF in Feb 2018.
That’s incredible. Didn’t realize it was that bad. Wow.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:41 pm
netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 pm Overall winning pct has fallen to. 296 (24-57). Conference is .178. (8-35 reg season, 0-2 tourney)

it's really bad and those that think this season is due to injury can look back at how we finished last season with 2 NBA camp kids and ROE and still lost 9 of the last 10 games. It's scary bad and I hope all of this news about better recruits, injuries, etc doesn't dismiss the fact the guy cannot win with or without some talent. He must not return next season unless we're happy with a repeat of this season. it's pathetic.

And I will admit I was a fan of the hire. I did think he could make a splash in recruiting and thought that he could transition from NBA to Ncaa. But he's proved me wrong.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:41 pm

it's really bad and those that think this season is due to injury can look back at how we finished last season with 2 NBA camp kids and ROE and still lost 9 of the last 10 games. It's scary bad and I hope all of this news about better recruits, injuries, etc doesn't dismiss the fact the guy cannot win with or without some talent. He must not return next season unless we're happy with a repeat of this season. it's pathetic.

And I will admit I was a fan of the hire. I did think he could make a splash in recruiting and thought that he could transition from NBA to Ncaa. But he's proved me wrong.
I had those exact thoughts when he was hired. If you told me in Year 3 he had only win in his last 17 AAC games I would have never believed it.
That stat alone is incredible.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Most of us thought that way . We were wrong then but we are right now in knowing that this needs to end ASAP.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I really would love to know what is going on inside Dunleavy’s head. Surely he must see the writing on the wall that he was not meant to be a college basketball coach. He just doesn’t have what it takes to succeed on the college level. Quite frankly he has embarrassed himself and the university this season with his dismal record and losing to low quality teams that we would beat in previous seasons. Also I have to wonder if Mike Aresco is on Dannen’s tail telling him this nightmare has to end because the other schools in the AAC are complaining that Tulane’s miserable RPI is dragging them down and costing them a shot at the NCAA tournament or at the very least hurting their seeding in the tournament.
netshorty
Surge

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 am I really would love to know what is going on inside Dunleavy’s head. Surely he must see the writing on the wall that he was not meant to be a college basketball coach. He just doesn’t have what it takes to succeed on the college level. Quite frankly he has embarrassed himself and the university this season with his dismal record and losing to low quality teams that we would beat in previous seasons. Also I have to wonder if Mike Aresco is on Dannen’s tail telling him this nightmare has to end because the other schools in the AAC are complaining that Tulane’s miserable RPI is dragging them down and costing them a shot at the NCAA tournament or at the very least hurting their seeding in the tournament.
I believe MD is posting here under the handle gbgreenie. Check out that malarkey for what's likely going through his head.
Show Me
Tsunami

No one can fault Dannen for the hire. However if he hangs on to a bad hire like Rick Dickson always did then he will be viewed in the same light of trying to save money as opposed to trying to win. Your move Troy. Show me you’re not another Rick Dickson.
Is it really too much to ask for at least a winning season in Year 3? The schedule was dumbed down to accomplish that but apparently it was not dumbed down enough.
gbgreenie
Surge

You guys will totally be embarrassed with the negativity you spew as Koka, Zhang, Daniels mature and hit the floor next year with the super recruits coming in. This team has not had a consistant lineup because of injuries. Common sense tell anyone these foreign players have lots of challenges beyond basketball as they transition in America. But the talent is surely evident in their backgrounds. The only difference would be using Zhang at a forward position closer to the basket because of his height he can always come out to shoot if jammed inside. The two recruits coming in will make this the best Tulane team talent wise in history. Talent wins games, coaches can only do so much. Fritz is probably a better coach than Orgeron at LSU. Switch coaches with the current teams and guess what the results would be. Orgeron weaknesses would be exposed at Tulane, while given LSU team Fritz could will a National Championship- Coaches can do so much.
galvezwave
Swell

The point shaving scandal itself was less embarrassing than the team on the floor today
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:25 pm The point shaving scandal itself was less embarrassing than the team on the floor today
Agreed.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm You guys will totally be embarrassed with the negativity you spew as Koka, Zhang, Daniels mature and hit the floor next year with the super recruits coming in. This team has not had a consistant lineup because of injuries. Common sense tell anyone these foreign players have lots of challenges beyond basketball as they transition in America. But the talent is surely evident in their backgrounds. The only difference would be using Zhang at a forward position closer to the basket because of his height he can always come out to shoot if jammed inside. The two recruits coming in will make this the best Tulane team talent wise in history. Talent wins games, coaches can only do so much. Fritz is probably a better coach than Orgeron at LSU. Switch coaches with the current teams and guess what the results would be. Orgeron weaknesses would be exposed at Tulane, while given LSU team Fritz could will a National Championship- Coaches can do so much.
That would mean that the current roster is pretty talented. Two kids don't make that much of a difference. And the "foreign players" have all lived in the US for a number of years now. With all that talent, we should be better. Unfortunately, by every measure available, we're one of the worst teams in the country.

If it were the most talented team in Tulane history, it should make it no less than the second weekend of the NCAA tournament NEXT YEAR. Yeah, right. But then you'll claim we're too young to compete and argue MD needs a 5th year. Sorry, we need results this year, are not only not getting them, but we're going backwards. STEP DOWN, COACH.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm You guys will totally be embarrassed with the negativity you spew as Koka, Zhang, Daniels mature and hit the floor next year with the super recruits coming in. This team has not had a consistant lineup because of injuries. Common sense tell anyone these foreign players have lots of challenges beyond basketball as they transition in America. But the talent is surely evident in their backgrounds. The only difference would be using Zhang at a forward position closer to the basket because of his height he can always come out to shoot if jammed inside. The two recruits coming in will make this the best Tulane team talent wise in history. Talent wins games, coaches can only do so much. Fritz is probably a better coach than Orgeron at LSU. Switch coaches with the current teams and guess what the results would be. Orgeron weaknesses would be exposed at Tulane, while given LSU team Fritz could will a National Championship- Coaches can do so much.
gb, you’ve been eating funny mushrooms. There is a shortage of talent on this team. Zhang doesn’t have the strength or motivation to play forward. Daniels is just a turnover machine that can’t shoot. And there are no recruits that are coming to save the day. The program is as low as it has ever been. Dunleavy has no idea how to lead a collegiate basketball program.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm
gb, you’ve been eating funny mushrooms. There is a shortage of talent on this team. Zhang doesn’t have the strength or motivation to play forward. Daniels is just a turnover machine that can’t shoot. And there are no recruits that are coming to save the day. The program is as low as it has ever been. Dunleavy has no idea how to lead a collegiate basketball program.
Houston- That's the second time you have referred to Daniels when I"m sure it is Cornish you are talking about as a turnover machine who can't shoot. Sort of the way you confused Crabtree and Wood. Just wanted to make you aware of it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:08 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:34 pm
Houston- That's the second time you have referred to Daniels when I"m sure it is Cornish you are talking about as a turnover machine who can't shoot. Sort of the way you confused Crabtree and Wood. Just wanted to make you aware of it.
Daniels and Cornish are both turnover machines that can’t shoot, but I was referring Daniels in response to gb’s reference to Daniels.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well then I have to disagree with your take on Daniels. As to Cornish no doubt he fits the bill on both counts.
netshorty
Surge

Daniels FG% - 44.2%, 3FG% - 32.9, TO/G - 2.8
Cornish FG% - 35.4%, 3FG% - 32.0 TO/G - 3.6

Cornish by far would have the lowest offensive efficiency. I was surprised by Daniels turnover numbers. But maybe I shouldn't have been. Dunleavy's chaos and chuck offensive scheme will make anyone look like a terrible shooter and turnover machine. Even these amazing recruits we're hearing about.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:52 am Daniels FG% - 44.2%, 3FG% - 32.9, TO/G - 2.8

Cornish by far would have the lowest offensive efficiency. I was surprised by Daniels turnover numbers. But maybe I shouldn't have been. Dunleavy's chaos and chuck offensive scheme will make anyone look like a terrible shooter and turnover machine. Even these amazing recruits we're hearing about.
I’m surprised those TO/G stats aren’t higher, for both Cornish and Daniels. In the games I’ve watched this season it seems like they each often have that many turnovers in about a five minute span. Are our scorekeepers asleep
at the wheel, like they were last baseball season when they routinely missed errors?
anEngineer
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:52 am Daniels FG% - 44.2%, 3FG% - 32.9, TO/G - 2.8

You can complain about a lot of things, but you can't make reference to an "offensive scheme" when there is no legitimate point guard running it. You can criticize Dunleavy for leaving himself shorthanded at that position but with no point guard, there is no scheme. It's just run down the floor and do the best we can. The only point guard playing is RS FR Barrett and he is not at all ready to compete at this level. Cornish and Daniels aren't supposed to be doing it, but there is no one else.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

You can complain about a lot of things, but you can't make reference to an "offensive scheme" when there is no legitimate point guard running it. You can criticize Dunleavy for leaving himself shorthanded at that position but with no point guard, there is no scheme. It's just run down the floor and do the best we can. The only point guard playing is RS FR Barrett and he is not at all ready to compete at this level. Cornish and Daniels aren't supposed to be doing it, but there is no one else.
It's not like the results were much better with a couple of true point guards and two players that were borderline NBA talents. The problem is our coach cannot coach at this level. He knows the game better than anyone on this forum, but he simply is not coming close to getting the job done.
netshorty
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm

I'd tend to agree but the "scheme" or lack thereof has been the same for 3 years with or without a point guard. Turnovers have always been a problem. Out of control is a consistent theme. Unable to execute is the norm. Not having a point guard compounds the problem but the results over the years speak for themselves.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BFD. Zero relevance to his ability to coach a team at this level (NCAA). I have a great deal of respect for the man, but:

You are what your record says you are.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gb— why don’t you post a video from each of our games this season. It would be a medley of college basketball coaching horror videos.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Cool videos. Too bad that Coach D does not have any eligibility. Then again, if he did he probably wouldn't wish to play on a team with our record.