Memphis Beats Tulane 83-79

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Point problems:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... a02dc.html

The game is at 5 on ESPNU. Memphis is favored by 10.
Last edited by winwave on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:01 pm Point problems:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... a02dc.html

The game is at 5 on ESPNU. Memphis is favored by 10.
must be a very down year for Memphis !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Remember when we played a decent game against FSU? They came very close to beating Duke today.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... =editorial

Take Memphis and lay the points. I believe ths is the only home game during Dunleavy's tenure that I will be absent. Gotta watch those Saints. Seems to be a scheduling blunder if you want folks to attend your basketball game. But that's another story.
netshorty
Surge

The 26 turnovers against USF were the most (4 more than any other game) for as long as sports-reference.com has tracked that stat. Look for Memphis' full court press to set back-to-back record breaking games with the Wave eclipsing the 30 turnover mark.
Show Me
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm The 26 turnovers against USF were the most (4 more than any other game) for as long as sports-reference.com has tracked that stat. Look for Memphis' full court press to set back-to-back record breaking games with the Wave eclipsing the 30 turnover mark.
Unbelievable how poorly coached this team is. Breaking historic records every week.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:58 pm
netshorty wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm The 26 turnovers against USF were the most (4 more than any other game) for as long as sports-reference.com has tracked that stat. Look for Memphis' full court press to set back-to-back record breaking games with the Wave eclipsing the 30 turnover mark.
Unbelievable how poorly coached this team is. Breaking historic records every week.
Must not be long. This team had 40 turnovers in a 40 minute game in 2016.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 0-minutes/

That's right, the Manhattan Jaspers were forced into 40 turnovers in 2016. Yes, this team is bad and turns the ball over in epic proportions. But nowhere nearly as bad as your post would indicate.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Can’t believe we are only a 10.5 pt. underdog? Who in his right mind would bet this Dunlevy team?
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 pm

That's right, the Manhattan Jaspers were forced into 40 turnovers in 2016. Yes, this team is bad and turns the ball over in epic proportions. But nowhere nearly as bad as your post would indicate.
... the most of a Tulane team, not any NCAA team. And beating your former record high by 4 is pretty bad.
netshorty
Surge

Oddsshark.com has the spread dipping to Memphis - 10 with 69% of the action on Memphis. Their simulator has predicted a 90-64 win for Memphis.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/memphis ... 19-1053993
Wave755
Tsunami

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am Oddsshark.com has the spread dipping to Memphis - 10 with 69% of the action on Memphis. Their simulator has predicted a 90-64 win for Memphis.

https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/memphis ... 19-1053993
For Vegas Insider 87% of the action is now on Memphis.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 pm

... the most of a Tulane team, not any NCAA team. And beating your former record high by 4 is pretty bad.
I question that, again, wondering how long this johnny come lately website has tracked the stat?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Checking in on the game....OMG we really stink at BOTH ends of the court!
GreenLantern
Riptide

From the stats, it looks like Zhang is having a very good game...Cornish, not so much
GreenLantern
Riptide

At the half, Cornish is 0-5 from the floor and 0-2 from the FT line. Rough day.
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave comes away with the moral victory as it covers the spread losing 83-79 to the Tigahs.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Is Zhang's a show pony who only gets up for. "name brand" competition ? If so , that is on Dunleavy .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Missed opportunity. Memphis was ripe for the picking. Going in I thought this was one game we could win. Oh well.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

Memphis tried to give the game to the Green Wave but we couldn't quite grasp it.
netshorty
Surge

better effort. Only 11 turnovers and won the rebounding battle. But this team can't shoot (outside of Zhang having a hot hand early) and alot of that is on not getting good looks because the offense is so bad.

Paul had a really good 2nd half. no idea why he was in MD's doghouse only averaging about the same minutes as he did when he was a frosh. Maybe MD is trying to get the projects more PT but Paul was the difference in lot losing by more then the point spread. That and I have no idea what Memphis was trying to do offensively in the 2nd half. I'd say it was great D, except when they really needed a bucket late they were able to drive and finish at the rim fairly easily.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm better effort. Only 11 turnovers and won the rebounding battle. But this team can't shoot (outside of Zhang having a hot hand early) and alot of that is on not getting good looks because the offense is so bad.

Paul had a really good 2nd half. no idea why he was in MD's doghouse only averaging about the same minutes as he did when he was a frosh. Maybe MD is trying to get the projects more PT but Paul was the difference in lot losing by more then the point spread. That and I have no idea what Memphis was trying to do offensively in the 2nd half. I'd say it was great D, except when they really needed a bucket late they were able to drive and finish at the rim fairly easily.

MD was saving Paul for the NCAA's
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
netshorty
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm
netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:34 pm better effort. Only 11 turnovers and won the rebounding battle. But this team can't shoot (outside of Zhang having a hot hand early) and alot of that is on not getting good looks because the offense is so bad.

oh yeah, forgot about his hairbrain strategies, like the year 1 strategy where he said the reg season didn't really mean matter (once it was obvious we'd not do well) , it was all about building up for the conference tourney... that one turned out well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

oh yeah, forgot about his hairbrain strategies, like the year 1 strategy where he said the reg season didn't really mean matter (once it was obvious we'd not do well) , it was all about building up for the conference tourney... that one turned out well.
He said the same thing again recently .
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Here's his quote he made just last week:

“Our whole goal now is like my first year here,” said Dunleavy, who went 6-25 overall and 3-15 in the AAC in 2016-17. “We’ve got to get better each day and become the best team we can become when we go to the conference tournament.”
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 am Here's his quote he made just last week:

“Our whole goal now is like my first year here,” said Dunleavy, who went 6-25 overall and 3-15 in the AAC in 2016-17. “We’ve got to get better each day and become the best team we can become when we go to the conference tournament.”
I do not think there are enough days in the year for his plan to work
netshorty
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:19 am
winwave wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 am Here's his quote he made just last week:

I do not think there are enough days in the year for his plan to work
GN, they just want to be the best team they can be. How is that for a goal? under this coaching they are probably close to already being as good as they'll get so... days, weeks, months, years don't really matter.