Tulane v. FIU Date Announced

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

According to Ed Daniels our opening football game against FIU will be played on Thursday, August 29. I wish we opened the season , especially one people will be looking forward to, on a Saturday.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Thursday night games eliminate many fans that might otherwise be able to travel in for a Saturday game—especially for the season opener. Does Tulane or FIU have any say in the matter? I’m guessing they don’t.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:57 pm According to Ed Daniels our opening football game against FIU will be played on Thursday, August 29. I wish we opened the season , especially one people will be looking forward to, on a Saturday.
I, for one, am sick of the Thursday BS.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Katrina Anniversary :o
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I agree, Thursday night is bad for the folks trying to go to the game. But it will have more viewers, especially being the first night of college football of the year. Better exposure overall (though it might only be a minimal increase, depending upon where it's broadcast.)

That takes one Thursday night of the board for my Thursday night poker group. It's hard enough to get the group together as it is, oh well.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 pm Thursday night games eliminate many fans that might otherwise be able to travel in for a Saturday game—especially for the season opener. Does Tulane or FIU have any say in the matter? I’m guessing they don’t.
We do. We can schedule it for Saturday. If TV later comes along and through our conference contract picks it up and designates it for Thursday then it will be moved. Same as last year when we initially scheduled the WF game. It wasn't designated as being on any network. It's just a stupid and failed policy of our athletic department.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Damn. There goes our Thursday Greenbackers meeting. ;)
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:57 pm According to Ed Daniels our opening football game against FIU will be played on Thursday, August 29. I wish we opened the season , especially one people will be looking forward to, on a Saturday.
Just say NO to playing on Thursday.....c'mon Tulane, grow a damn set
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

You people act like Tulane is Notre Dame with the ability to tell the networks when they will allow themselves to be broadcast. Ideally, we want everyone at the opening game, but if Tulane gets the opportunity to get some airtime as one of the first games of the football season, they should take advantage. We definitely don't want a daytime game in August and the first Saturday night is crowded with some big neutral site games.
gbgreenie
Surge

Not true fans always wining when the games are televised instead of being glad that Tulane gets additional revenue for television. Don't worry be happy, quit giving excuses why you will stay home, excuses grow old. Don't see other teams fans wining like Tulane fans. Be happy folks!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 pm You people act like Tulane is Notre Dame with the ability to tell the networks when they will allow themselves to be broadcast. Ideally, we want everyone at the opening game, but if Tulane gets the opportunity to get some airtime as one of the first games of the football season, they should take advantage. We definitely don't want a daytime game in August and the first Saturday night is crowded with some big neutral site games.
At this point it has nothing to do with TV. This is a Tulane choice and these games have been very poorly attended. People look forward to it all year and then a lot of them can't make it because of work and kids with school.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:31 pm
anEngineer wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:24 pm You people act like Tulane is Notre Dame with the ability to tell the networks when they will allow themselves to be broadcast. Ideally, we want everyone at the opening game, but if Tulane gets the opportunity to get some airtime as one of the first games of the football season, they should take advantage. We definitely don't want a daytime game in August and the first Saturday night is crowded with some big neutral site games.
At this point it has nothing to do with TV. This is a Tulane choice and these games have been very poorly attended. People look forward to it all year and then a lot of them can't make it because of work and kids with school.
Does anyone have any actual information to support their assertions here ? It seems like we are just wildly speculating and yelling at each other. I work in entertainment (including previously with those who negotiated a major college football channel) but don’t have the actual concrete data or knowledge of this specific process.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said this is a Tulane choice. It is not mandated by TV. It will likely get picked up at some point but it hasn't been at this pint just like the WF game last year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:30 am Like I said this is a Tulane choice. It is not mandated by TV. It will likely get picked up at some point but it hasn't been at this pint just like the WF game last year.
Source?

I'm speculating, but would imagine the networks have an agreement with the conference that we'll have x number of games on Thursday nights, and dictate which Thursdays. The conference then tells the members to pick from those nights which ones they'd like. Then, closer to the game day, the networks work out which games will be on ESPN related broadcasts, and which ones will be on CBSSN. I know for sure that most game times are set by our TV broadcasting network.

Again, I'm speculating, but I doubt Troy Dannen randomly said "Hey, we're going play Thursday night, August 29th" out of the blue.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

We’ve almost always played the season opener on Thursday night as long as I can remember. It allows Tulane students and fans to attend the game and then leave town for a long Labor Day weekend. Playing on Saturday would screw up those plans. I’m too lazy to go back and look at past 10 years but I’d bet we’ve played more on Thursday than Saturday for Labor Day weekend.
And yes TV will show the game on Thursday but may not on a busy Saturday.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:30 am Like I said this is a Tulane choice. It is not mandated by TV. It will likely get picked up at some point but it hasn't been at this pint just like the WF game last year.
Source?

I'm speculating, but would imagine the networks have an agreement with the conference that we'll have x number of games on Thursday nights, and dictate which Thursdays. The conference then tells the members to pick from those nights which ones they'd like. Then, closer to the game day, the networks work out which games will be on ESPN related broadcasts, and which ones will be on CBSSN. I know for sure that most game times are set by our TV broadcasting network.

Again, I'm speculating, but I doubt Troy Dannen randomly said "Hey, we're going play Thursday night, August 29th" out of the blue.
I have to believe it’s something similar to what you are describing, D. A joint process involving the network, the conference and perhaps the school has some say so, or veto right—which would rarely if ever be used.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 am We’ve almost always played the season opener on Thursday night as long as I can remember. It allows Tulane students and fans to attend the game and then leave town for a long Labor Day weekend. Playing on Saturday would screw up those plans. I’m too lazy to go back and look at past 10 years but I’d bet we’ve played more on Thursday than Saturday for Labor Day weekend.
And yes TV will show the game on Thursday but may not on a busy Saturday.
You are correct. Last 6 openers since 2013 we’ve played on Thursday night every year but once. (2017 Grambling Saturday) So 2019 will be 7 of 8.
Even played a few road games Thursday night at Wake, and at Tulsa. So opening on Thursday is really no surprise.
Tap (Previous Year) to go back
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... edule.html
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 am
Source?

The source is fact. The game is not scheduled for TV at this time. Your source is your SWAG. It doesn't matter to you b/c you aren't going to the games. To those of us that can it matters. The numbers show it. These are poorly attended games. The students are already gone for the weekend after classes end on Thursday. The one Saturday we played recently on opening weekend was far better attended by our fans than any of those Thursday games. This is just another in a long line of blunders by our athletic department no matter who is in charge.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Was just about to post the same. If the game isn't scheduled to be on any network, there's no reason for us not to schedule it on Saturday.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Game on a Thursday...one more reason not to renew my Season Tickets...Hell, I am still waiting for the 2018 tickets to arrive, I guess that is a second reason !!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper
Swell

We are gonna need the 3 extra days with a trip to Auburn the next week.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am We are gonna need the 3 extra days with a trip to Auburn the next week.
damn, 3 days to travel 363 miles...they must be using the "Rose Bowl Train'
cajunfanatico
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 am
Was just about to post the same. If the game isn't scheduled to be on any network, there's no reason for us not to schedule it on Saturday.
Except there's no way that one of the very first AAC games of the year will not be on TV. I understand the hardships on the fans, but the TV audience will likely be much more beneficial in the long run. Another possibility is that Dannen is choosing the first game of the year for a Thursday night instead of having to select another Thursday night later in the year against a better opponent.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Pepper
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 am
Pepper wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am We are gonna need the 3 extra days with a trip to Auburn the next week.
damn, 3 days to travel 363 miles...they must be using the "Rose Bowl Train'
LOL!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am
RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 am
Except there's no way that one of the very first AAC games of the year will not be on TV. I understand the hardships on the fans, but the TV audience will likely be much more beneficial in the long run. Another possibility is that Dannen is choosing the first game of the year for a Thursday night instead of having to select another Thursday night later in the year against a better opponent.
There will be very minimal tv viewership. It will only be the most loyal diehards of both teams watching. Teams do not have a set number of games that have to be played on a Thursday. You pulled that out of your ass. We're trying to build our fan base back up. Schedule it on a Saturday night when many more can attend including kids who are the future fan base. If tv swoops in and says they want it on Thursday night then so be it but take the first step and let our wishes be known.