Tulane v. FIU Date Announced

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:16 pm Does anyone here believe that an AD would move a Saturday game to Thursday night because he believed it would be good for attendance? I'm sorry, but I can't.
Despite evidence to the contrary, Troy Dannen must have woken up this morning and said "gee, let's move our season opener to Thursday night, August 29th, rather than Saturday night August 31st. I think this is the year that our attendance at Thursday night games is stronger than Saturday night games."

Of course, since Dannen controls start times we all know he would have scheduled the game for Saturday night rather than what the owner of our broadcast rights dictates.

Starting to sound far fetched yet?

Right on CF! We all know that certain internet bulletin board posters know more than a man that's spent 30 years in Athletics administration, a man that was found by a search committee to become Tulane's AD, Troy must have had his SWAG on!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 pm
cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:16 pm Does anyone here believe that an AD would move a Saturday game to Thursday night because he believed it would be good for attendance? I'm sorry, but I can't.
Despite evidence to the contrary, Troy Dannen must have woken up this morning and said "gee, let's move our season opener to Thursday night, August 29th, rather than Saturday night August 31st. I think this is the year that our attendance at Thursday night games is stronger than Saturday night games."

Of course, since Dannen controls start times we all know he would have scheduled the game for Saturday night rather than what the owner of our broadcast rights dictates.

Right on CF! We all know that certain internet bulletin board posters know more than a man that's spent 30 years in Athletics administration, a man that was found by a search committee to become Tulane's AD, Troy must have had his SWAG on!
All I know is that most weeknight game attendance appears to be horrid, regardless of what teams are playing, regardless of conference, and even regardless the importance of the game in the overall scheme of a conference race.

The logistics of doing anything like making a football game after a full day of work is daunting enough. Toss in kids who have classes the next day, or a baby sitter who needs to be home at a reasonable hour, and it's just easier to watch the damned thing on TV. Imagine if you had to drive and hour and a half to make the game?
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 pm
All I know is that most weeknight game attendance appears to be horrid, regardless of what teams are playing, regardless of conference, and even regardless the importance of the game in the overall scheme of a conference race.

The logistics of doing anything like making a football game after a full day of work is daunting enough. Toss in kids who have classes the next day, or a baby sitter who needs to be home at a reasonable hour, and it's just easier to watch the damned thing on TV. Imagine if you had to drive and hour and a half to make the game?
And this is assuming it's a 6 PM game. What if the media dictates that we play a 9 PM game. You'll be able to count the fans in the seats from your couch. Especially in the Glazer seats!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm It's not easy to find information about the expiring ESPN contract, but I've found some. There's a lot more about the next contract the AAC will negotiate, and ESPN has exclusive rights until the current contract expires. Aresco has the right to talk to other media outlets, but cannot sign a new deal with anyone other than ESPN (which he favors) until the end of the 2019-20 season.

According to the contract the AAC signed with ESPN in 2013 (but, I believe took affect in 2014) :
Conference games and nonconference home games will be televised on the ESPN platform of networks, with close to 90 percent on national broadcast or national cable. The AAC also has a partnership with CBS Sports, which acquired rights to telecast football and basketball games through a sub-licensing agreement with ESPN. The deal provides for 30 men’s basketball games per year and between 13-15 football games
So, yes, our game is against a non-conference opponent, but ESPN holds the rights to ALL TULANE HOME GAMES, even though they may decide to sub-license them to another entity.

Still think media has nothing to do with when we play our opener? ESPN owns the rights to the game. Enough said.

Source: theamerican.org
Source: tulsaworld.com
LOL. No one said TV doesn't have a say. What you posted there was already known. All of our home games end up being shown due to the contract. What's been said is they haven't made the call at this point. Tulane made a decision to schedule it on Thursday showing their desire for when they wanted it to be. Tv may well go with that. Just as they may well have gone with it if we had scheduled it originally on Saturday.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 pm

Said by the guy who told WF how to do his job today with regards to Coach Hall. :roll:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I went to the source, and, after discussing my re-joining the Green Wave Club (making a donation) he gave me a rather thorough explanation of how this game was moved to Thursday night. Clearly, the conference and our media partners have a say, and Tulane decided to make the move for reasons he explained. I asked if it was ok to share his response and Troy told me he expected I would.
To: David Price <[email protected]>
Cc: Kai, Tyler Jon H <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 9, 2019 9:45 am
Subject: Re: Thursday Night Opener

Thanks, Dave. I’ll have Tyler reach out to you. As you can imagine, my priority is investing my time in those who invest in us, and frankly, my time in responding to questions such as this should be dedicated to those who invest in our programs.

I can not speak to scheduling decisions prior to Willie and me arriving in December, 2015, but the league has the final say in moving both conference and non-conference games off of Saturdays, and television is often a factor in those decisions. Discussions about league scheduling and television assignments have been ongoing and will likely be announced in February.

Know that there are certain advantages to playing Thursday from a competitive standpoint, as it allows us to begin practice earlier in August, and in 2019, gives us additional days heading into our Auburn game. I know this year we had players available for the Navy game following injuries in the previous Thursday game at Houston solely because we had extra recovery time.

Your attendance assertions are not accurate. The largest student crowd of the year (by 20%) was for our Thursday opener in 2018. The ticket revenue for our Thursday games each of the past two years has ranked #3 and #2, respectively, of our six home games.

Finally, if we can not get a guarantee from the AAC of a night game for week 1, we would prefer to avoid a day start on Labor Day weekend due to heat. Thursday does guarantee a night game.

These are the factors which lead to a Thursday opener. The key player, of course, is the AAC and our television partners, but there are many other reasons to prefer the move on Tulane’s part.

I’m happy you have committed to joining the Green Wave Club. Tyler will have options for you to even make that payment over a period of time if that helps your budgeting.

Troy
(I added the underlines for emphasisi)

I hope this ends this silly argument, as most of us already knew the conference and TV had a huge hand in moving the game to Thursday night. I'm glad to learn the competitive advantages of doing so, and to know that Troy is also considering the fans by avoiding the league or TV dictating an August Saturday afternoon start.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Except he didn't say TV moved it. He said it was Tulane's choice in the second to last paragraph.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am Except he didn't say TV moved it. He said it was Tulane's choice in the second to last paragraph.
LMFAO. You can never be wrong. Now you're putting words into our AD's mouth!

It was moved to to numerous factors, and the key players are the AAC and TV.

Game over.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show us where it says the AAC/TV told Tulane they were playing on that Thursday night. It doesn't say that. He clearly states that if Tulane had picked Saturday they might have been give an afternoon game. He then later says it was Tulane's preference. Game over.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Winwave states:
It wasn't designated as being on any network. It's just a stupid and failed policy of our athletic department.
His email clearly states that "The key player, of course, is the AAC and our television partners". Your argument started out by arguing what a dumb decision Troy made. Clearly it was well thought out and heavily influenced by the AAC and TV.

ENOUGH LETS MOVE ON.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am Winwave states:
It wasn't designated as being on any network. It's just a stupid and failed policy of our athletic department.
His email clearly states that "The key player, of course, is the AAC and our television partners". Your argument started out by arguing what a dumb decision Troy made. Clearly it was well thought out and heavily influenced by the AAC and TV.

ENOUGH LETS MOVE ON.
Like I said show us where he said that TV dictated we play that Thursday night. He gave his reasons why Tulane chose Thursday. The conference will dictate when conference games are played but as others have noted in this thread that's not the case for non-conference games.

We could move on but his obsession continues.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Re-read what I've posted about the AAC controlling both conference and non-conference home games, and what Dannen said about it in his email. It's a direct contradiction of your previous post.
cajunfanatico
Swell

phpBB [video]
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am
winwave wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am Except he didn't say TV moved it. He said it was Tulane's choice in the second to last paragraph.
LMFAO. You can never be wrong. Now you're putting words into our AD's mouth!

It was moved to to numerous factors, and the key players are the AAC and TV.

Game over.
D, first thanks for posting the response from TD, it's obviously helpful to get info straight from the horses mouth. However, I find it frustrating and nauseating at times to see the board cluttered with banter and spinning of information like this to support "I told you so" arguments. And right now you both are arguing different points.

Does the conference and TV impact the schedule? No doubt, no one is arguing that it doesn't.. I think WW would agree with the underline emphasis in your email. They often impact start times and occasionally impact game days.

Did it impact this game? Only in that TD preferred a night game and selecting Thu was the only way to guarantee a night game.

Did TD make this decision as being the best day/time for Tulane football without TV or conference influence? From his comments it is extremely hard to not say yes. Meaning that if Sat night or Thu night were both options, for all the reasons he laid out about Thu benefits, his email reads that he'd still select Thu.

So you're both right. Conference and TV are both big influences (D's argument). TD made this decision for Thu night game as strategic and not defined by TV or conference. (WW argument)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Net- well stated. I would only point out that I never said that TV. doesn’t have a role. I simply stressed as you said that for this game it was TD’s choice .

Hopefully this puts it to rest but I seriously doubt it.
gbgreenie
Surge

God darn enough is enough folks, this fan base needs to focus on the right things. We play weekday basketball, baseball , volleyball many other sports and no wining. Grow up and gripe about things you can control. If you can't control something leave it go. Life has too many worthwhile stresses instead of filling up a forum with post of what day a game is scheduled. If you can't make it ok, we don't need your excuses. If you can go that's great. Where the "will is strong enough there is always a way" people. Now enjoy the upcoming year I feel things for the future of Tulane Athletics are great if the fans get on board with support not negatism.
gbgreenie
Surge

LSU draws very well any they play no excuses folks.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:13 am God darn enough is enough folks, this fan base needs to focus on the right things. We play weekday basketball, baseball , volleyball many other sports and no wining. Grow up and gripe about things you can control. If you can't control something leave it go. Life has too many worthwhile stresses instead of filling up a forum with post of what day a game is scheduled. If you can't make it ok, we don't need your excuses. If you can go that's great. Where the "will is strong enough there is always a way" people. Now enjoy the upcoming year I feel things for the future of Tulane Athletics are great if the fans get on board with support not negatism.
Huh. This is a forum. Discussion, jarring, back and forth, arguments, agreements, everything is fair game.

There's a special place you can go if you only want sunshine pumped up your ass 100% of the time. :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 am LSU draws very well any they play no excuses folks.
They haven't been selling out lately (except for when they get crushed by Bama) and they also have a HUGE multiple of graduates in state which means their fan base has a natural multiplier of about 40-50x that of Tulane's. Throw in decades of mostly losing seasons, and you can see why they struggle to fill 100K stadium while we struggle to fill a 22,500 seat stadium.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm Huh. This is a forum. Discussion, jarring, back and forth, arguments, agreements, everything is fair game.

There's a special place you can go if you only want sunshine pumped up your ass 100% of the time. :mrgreen:
I still read some of the stuff on the other forum, but as you can imagine have been banned there for quite a few years. I was too outspoken about Cowen and Dickson. I also think one of the mods there is a complete a-hole. Then again, I bet he (and others including some here) think I'm an a-hole as well. That's what makes this site a lot more fun (and real!) That board was a lot more fun when Wayne P was running it. He'd tell me with a private message to back off if he thought I was crossing the line of criticism that gets you banned. He was a heck of a Tulane man, and could see both sides of the story, even though he didn't openly criticize.

winwave and I are both passionate Tulane fans. We disagree. Sometimes our arguments get a little old. Get over it, or block us! I am VERY thankful for Steve and his colleagues that facilitate this board.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Second that!
IM42lane
Swell

To Hades with ALL THURSDAY GAMES, period. I will only feel good about the situation if Tulane WINS. Otherwise, the whole idea stinks.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:51 pm Huh. This is a forum. Discussion, jarring, back and forth, arguments, agreements, everything is fair game.

I still read some of the stuff on the other forum, but as you can imagine have been banned there for quite a few years. I was too outspoken about Cowen and Dickson. I also think one of the mods there is a complete a-hole. Then again, I bet he (and others including some here) think I'm an a-hole as well. That's what makes this site a lot more fun (and real!) That board was a lot more fun when Wayne P was running it. He'd tell me with a private message to back off if he thought I was crossing the line of criticism that gets you banned. He was a heck of a Tulane man, and could see both sides of the story, even though he didn't openly criticize.

winwave and I are both passionate Tulane fans. We disagree. Sometimes our arguments get a little old. Get over it, or block us! I am VERY thankful for Steve and his colleagues that facilitate this board.
Are you really still banned after all this time? Jts banned me also, but I have been able to sneak on there from time to time and comment.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm
Are you really still banned after all this time? Jts banned me also, but I have been able to sneak on there from time to time and comment.
My attempts to do so have never been responded to. I've heard from an AAC Board moderator that Jts tried to get me banned from posting there because I "didn't have Tulane's best interests in mind" when posting (I assume on this board.) What he didn't know is that my relationship with that board monitor goes back a few decades, and started before the Internet.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:50 am
My attempts to do so have never been responded to. I've heard from an AAC Board moderator that Jts tried to get me banned from posting there because I "didn't have Tulane's best interests in mind" when posting (I assume on this board.)
I don't have a dog in this fight DT, but what a chickenshit thing to do. I guess the guy has annointed himself as judge, jury, and executioner of all things Tulane.

BTW, what were you doing up at 4 AM? :lol: