SMU beats Tulane 74-65

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Trying to recover:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... e3437.html

The game is at 6 on ESPN2. SMU is favored by 9 1/2.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Oh great, a national audience gets to see our empty gym.

Call me a crazy optimist but I could see the Green Wave covering.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Lay the points!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Don't be too surprised (or overreact too optimistically) if our Greenies play a bit more competitively against SMU. They are back at home after an extraordinarily humiliating road stint and at some point, shame and pride will become factors. Look for this to be a close game and possibly (gasp) a Tulane win. After all, even a dead cat will display a slight bounce off the pavement if it experiences a sufficiently steep fall.

Having said that, I caution against making early travel plans to any post-season tournaments. I fear that my pre-season prediction of four conference wins was hopelessly optimistic.
swampnik
Surge

I see a possible win here also. Back at HOME against an opponent that we matched up well with last year and winning at Devlin. This game needs to be in the team's mental perceptions as a now or never jump back into conference play moment.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Keep it close early, lose by 17. SMU beat a pretty good Georgetown team on the road by 8.

Glad it is on ESPN2 actually, might bring the attention needed to make a change.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

SMU shooting horrible 33%. Losing 9 scholarships over 3 years NCAA sanctions and still up by 12pts.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

They're showing bursts of brilliance. But the commentators were discussing how "everything about this Tulane program is run like an NBA program." Did they find this board, or do our fans see the same thing they do?

We're back in it at the 4 minute mark, 63-56 SMU.

The press worked. But the half court offense still has too many players standing around.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 am Lay the points!
I would have lost this bet. I was wrong on this one!

But this is a Dicksonian victory, nothing more, plenty less!
Jaxwave
Swell

Daniels only player with Div I starting talent. A couple of other guys could be role players on better teams but most of them lack the footwork and/or athleticism to be starting anywhere in Div I.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:49 pm They're showing bursts of brilliance. But the commentators were discussing how "everything about this Tulane program is run like an NBA program." Did they find this board, or do our fans see the same thing they do?

We're back in it at the 4 minute mark, 63-56 SMU.

The press worked. But the half court offense still has too many players standing around.
Only can press if we make a basket. Thankfully that happened on that late run
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glutton for punishment as us diehards are I went. The best that can be said is that they haven't quit. SMU is not bad but they are not that good. Fortunately early on they missed a bunch of what should have been tip ins. I felt then we had a chance. Sehic started battling underneath in the second half. Daniels has some hops along with talent and smarts. Outside of that not much talent wise and the coaching in just bad. How we didn't start fouling in that last minute and let them burn up clock. Then let them go straight to the hoop unchallenged. Maddening. TD there and not wearing anything Tulane.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 pm Glutton for punishment as us diehards are I went. The best that can be said is that they haven't quit. SMU is not bad but they are not that good. Fortunately early on they missed a bunch of what should have been tip ins. I felt then we had a chance. Sehic started battling underneath in the second half. Daniels has some hops along with talent and smarts. Outside of that not much talent wise and the coaching in just bad. How we didn't start fouling in that last minute and let them burn up clock. Then let them go straight to the hoop unchallenged. Maddening. TD there and not wearing anything Tulane.
Win, For the heck of it, I’d like to throw in Crabtree, who at least plays some defense and, like last night, deserves more minutes.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am
winwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:52 pm Glutton for punishment as us diehards are I went. The best that can be said is that they haven't quit. SMU is not bad but they are not that good. Fortunately early on they missed a bunch of what should have been tip ins. I felt then we had a chance. Sehic started battling underneath in the second half. Daniels has some hops along with talent and smarts. Outside of that not much talent wise and the coaching in just bad. How we didn't start fouling in that last minute and let them burn up clock. Then let them go straight to the hoop unchallenged. Maddening. TD there and not wearing anything Tulane.
Win, For the heck of it, I’d like to throw in Crabtree, who at least plays some defense and, like last night, deserves more minutes.
I’ve liked what Crabtree has done all season. Definitely seems like the freshman with the most feel for the game. However, on the offensive end he’s a mismatched part with Dunleavy’s NBA iso offense.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:36 am Shooting blanks:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 8eb4f.html
Dunleavy said, “That’s our one goal right now is trying to get our guys to play for 40 minutes.”
Good to have lofty goals. So tired of hearing how hard we played and we never give up. Seems like a good trait but it becomes nauseating when it's the only positive ever said and at times doesn't even feel true.
swampnik
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm Daniels only player with Div I starting talent. A couple of other guys could be role players on better teams but most of them lack the footwork and/or athleticism to be starting anywhere in Div I.
Samir Sehic with 15 rebounds, 20 points and great hustle against a quality opponent says otherwise. No knock on Daniels. Sehic could stay 2 more years with team too I believe.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am Good to have lofty goals. So tired of hearing how hard we played and we never give up. Seems like a good trait but it becomes nauseating when it's the only positive ever said and at times doesn't even feel true.
In the post-game interview, Dunleavy made the remark (I'm paraphrasing): It's a shame to admit but we're trying to get our guys to play hard for the entire game.

What? So isn't that on him?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 am
He is ok and maybe with good coaching could be better than that. I hope we get to find out soon.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:21 am
Jaxwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 pm Daniels only player with Div I starting talent. A couple of other guys could be role players on better teams but most of them lack the footwork and/or athleticism to be starting anywhere in Div I.
Samir Sehic with 15 rebounds, 20 points and great hustle against a quality opponent says otherwise. No knock on Daniels. Sehic could stay 2 more years with team too I believe.
He did have god numbers last night and came alive in the second half. He can't jump at all though and is inconsistent. It's why he bombed at Vandy. I like him and glad we have him one more year but no he wouldn't be a starter at most places.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:34 am
netshorty wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am Good to have lofty goals. So tired of hearing how hard we played and we never give up. Seems like a good trait but it becomes nauseating when it's the only positive ever said and at times doesn't even feel true.
In the post-game interview, Dunleavy made the remark (I'm paraphrasing): It's a shame to admit but we're trying to get our guys to play hard for the entire game.

In the article I linked he indicated it's a generational thing:

“Playing hard is a great skill that seems to be harder to come by in today’s world than it ever has been,” Dunleavy said. “That’s our one goal right now is trying to get our guys to play for 40 minutes.”
WavyHoops
High Tide

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 am

“Playing hard is a great skill that seems to be harder to come by in today’s world than it ever has been,” Dunleavy said. “That’s our one goal right now is trying to get our guys to play for 40 minutes.”
Call out the kids for their personal qualities in the press and take no responsibility for anything yourself. That’s some quality leadership right there.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Yup, it never ever seems to be on him!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sehic seems to have the best basketball "smarts" on the team. He was the best player returning, and it's puzzling why he's been a no show for most of the season. He lead the AAC in FG% last year and has fallen off tremendously. Maybe he's trying to take on too much? But clearly he needs to be coached up.

We do miss Ray Ona Embo a whole lot as well. Say what you will about his talents, but he's another mature player with experience playing against some very talented opponents. I would bet you'd see less players standing around on the offensive end if ROE were at the point.

I'm not making excuses for Dunleavy, and still think he's got to go.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:15 am

It's harder to come by at Tulane because of the loser mentality. Hard to get excited about a beat down on each game day. Or the embarrassment of struggling against the worst D1 programs. And if it was a generational thing, are other programs recruiting and made up of players from a different generation then Tulane. Seems unfair! :roll:

The reality is it doesn't matter a lick about whether it's true or not about this generation of players. It's an even playing field across all schools.