Troy Dannen

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13738
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks to the facilities stupid


Let's Roll !
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:22 pm

dpm wave wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 am
So, I made a comment on Twitter about Dannen being made up each morning before work and is actually Dickson reincarnate. btw, it's the first and only time that I've commented negatively on the man on Twitter.

He blocked me. bwawawawawa.
He blocked me too on Twitter, after the SMU game I tweeted to Guerry Smith that Willie Fritz should be fired. Way to alienate the dwindling fanbase. Someone needs to call out the AD for blocking Tulane supporters for expressing their frustration on the internet. Does JTS oversee his twitter account?
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm

sader24 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm
i Think he has just enough capital to spend off the football bowl win to give Dunleavy another year. The question is does he want to spend that capital on this coaching staff and program? Because it’s not like fritz went 11-2 and won the Conference. Things look positive but I wouldn’t call them great. If he keeps Dunleavy he either really believes in him or has zero financial wiggle room. The other possibility is he keeps Dunleavy, football wins 5 games next season, baseball falters down the stretch and Dunleavy wins 0 games in conference next season. Then instead of calling for Dunleavy or Fritz job we are calling for Dannens job. Personally I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for Dunleavy. Cut bait and move on.
We were one failed two point conversion away from a third straight losing season under Fritz, but Dannen gave Fritz a new contract after his second consecutive losing season. Only at Tulane does the football coach get a new contract after two consecutive losing seasons. Anywhere else you are fired.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8701
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:45 pm

JerseyWave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm
sader24 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm
i Think he has just enough capital to spend off the football bowl win to give Dunleavy another year. The question is does he want to spend that capital on this coaching staff and program? Because it’s not like fritz went 11-2 and won the Conference. Things look positive but I wouldn’t call them great. If he keeps Dunleavy he either really believes in him or has zero financial wiggle room. The other possibility is he keeps Dunleavy, football wins 5 games next season, baseball falters down the stretch and Dunleavy wins 0 games in conference next season. Then instead of calling for Dunleavy or Fritz job we are calling for Dannens job. Personally I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for Dunleavy. Cut bait and move on.
We were one failed two point conversion away from a third straight losing season under Fritz, but Dannen gave Fritz a new contract after his second consecutive losing season. Only at Tulane does the football coach get a new contract after two consecutive losing seasons. Anywhere else you are fired.
but in the same view, we were one terrible Ref's call from going bowling two years in a row..so there are two sides, even if they are very thin walled
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:45 pm
JerseyWave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm
sader24 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm
i Think he has just enough capital to spend off the football bowl win to give Dunleavy another year. The question is does he want to spend that capital on this coaching staff and program? Because it’s not like fritz went 11-2 and won the Conference. Things look positive but I wouldn’t call them great. If he keeps Dunleavy he either really believes in him or has zero financial wiggle room. The other possibility is he keeps Dunleavy, football wins 5 games next season, baseball falters down the stretch and Dunleavy wins 0 games in conference next season. Then instead of calling for Dunleavy or Fritz job we are calling for Dannens job. Personally I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for Dunleavy. Cut bait and move on.
We were one failed two point conversion away from a third straight losing season under Fritz, but Dannen gave Fritz a new contract after his second consecutive losing season. Only at Tulane does the football coach get a new contract after two consecutive losing seasons. Anywhere else you are fired.
but in the same view, we were one terrible Ref's call from going bowling two years in a row..so there are two sides, even if they are very thin walled
I've watched that replay about 100 times. Without the green colored glasses I'm convinced there's not enough evidence to overturn the call. Had Banks been able to stay on his feet for another six inches of forward progress there would have been no doubt about it, no need to go to the replay.
JerseyWave
Riptide
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm
Location: Bay Area, California
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:59 pm

gbgreenie wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 pm
Bunch of losers, Negative Annie's you are the problem, Dannon is not the problem, Tulane University is not the problem. You expect a University to spend millions in good faith with such a dismal fan base that live by excuses. Sorry that never happens. Only a maniac commits huge amounts of money without a light at the end of the tunnel. This city, this fanbase, none of it has proven strong enough support. Even the 1997 and 1998 Foot ball team did not bring support that is enough to sustain a lst rate program. Tommy Bowden was offered the same to stay as Clemson offered but he saw the limitations in the Greenwave fan support, same thing with Mack Brown, they both left because of limitations they saw. You can't build a consistent winner with a fan base that has not exhibited the ability to explode when needed against top opposition. Always excuses, always living in the past. If You support with revenue a winner will come. You expect the University to spend millions in good faith, well where is your good faith that the pieces are in place for continued winning, the missing piece is fan support. Facing a top ten baseball team in Ole Miss and not nearly having 2-3000 solid Tulane fans at each game is a dismal showing and means more of the same. Would you spend your money in a Mutual Fund if the rate of return is dismal. Be real you are disgraceful poor excuse for Green Wave Fans, plain pathetic is the word!!!
Obviously a Yoggie troll here. This guy is out of his mind.
Sunamiwave
Low Tide
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Gbgreenie you are a fool. You are blaming the fans for the the poor performance of the basketball team instead of holding the people in charge accountable. You are alienating the few fans left that attend the basketball games. Gbgreenie you personify the Rick Dickson philosophy of we don’t judge by wins and losses and if you disagree with us you can walk over to the other side of the street. It is because of people like you that refuse to hold coaches accountable for their on field performance that Tulane athletics has had so many losing seasons in the major sports over the past forty plus years. Us true fans are trying to hold the coaches accountable as happens at every other Division One university except Tulane. Gbgreenie we will continue to stand up and fight for Tulane athletics no matter what people like you with the Rick Dickson loser mindset think.
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm

I think gbgreenie is Scott Cowen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Jaxwave
Surge
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm

nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:05 am

Fans have you ever heard you get what you pay for. Well the revenue is fan based. Poor fanbase, poor revenue, What do any of you expect with all your pathetic excuses. I went to the games as a kid and win or lose me and my father had great times. Its about the kids that choose to go to Tulane and give their hearts every game. You fans have abandoned these kids on a regular basis with all your pathetic excuses blaming everyone but yourself, look yourselves in the face. Start promoting the Green Wave, quit being an anchor that weighs the Athletic Program down. You blame coaches for recruiting when the stands are empty every game. Does not matter who coaches at LSU bring a recruit to Tiger Stadium and their eyes over wide. That's where I want to be. Bring a recruit to Yulman and the visiting team on occasions outnumber the local crowd, a recruit says why should I come here except for an education??? Wake up and quit this pathetic negativity!!!
Bicoastalwave
High Tide
Posts: 468
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am

Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
I disagree. If we beat Auburn or houston & army and have a strong winning record I believe we will sell out for UCF at Yulman this year.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. Signature wins and a winning team against desirable opponents will fill the stadium
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:30 am

What about the baseball series against a Top 10 SEC Opponent Ole Miss, Not even close to a sellout with a chance for a National Ranking, as many Ole Miss fans as Green Wave Fans.
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 am

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
I disagree. If we beat Auburn or houston & army and have a strong winning record I believe we will sell out for UCF at Yulman this year.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. Signature wins and a winning team against desirable opponents will fill the stadium
+1
Winning within the conference is important, but defeating top tier non-conference opponents is essential for attracting a new local fan base and re-capturing the long lost NOLA fan base.
puffy
Surge
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:14 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:41 am

National buzz, high stakes, national rankings... basically does this game really matter to the casual Tulane fan? If Tulane plays in this type of a game in Yulman, the people will come watch. It would be great if Tulane could reward the fans by actually winning that game when presented that opportunity.

Also, count me in the group that thinks you have to have a great, consistent product if you want repeat business.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13738
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:22 am

wave97 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 am
Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
I disagree. If we beat Auburn or houston & army and have a strong winning record I believe we will sell out for UCF at Yulman this year.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. Signature wins and a winning team against desirable opponents will fill the stadium
+1
Winning within the conference is important, but defeating top tier non-conference opponents is essential for attracting a new local fan base and re-capturing the long lost NOLA fan base.
Agree. Beating Auburn could get us that sell out against UCF. More importantly we'd have to have be unbeaten. We'd have to follow up with wins. Beating Houston or Army doesn't make that happen.
Let's Roll !
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:22 am
wave97 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 am
Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
I disagree. If we beat Auburn or houston & army and have a strong winning record I believe we will sell out for UCF at Yulman this year.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. Signature wins and a winning team against desirable opponents will fill the stadium
+1
Winning within the conference is important, but defeating top tier non-conference opponents is essential for attracting a new local fan base and re-capturing the long lost NOLA fan base.
Agree. Beating Auburn could get us that sell out against UCF. More importantly we'd have to have be unbeaten. We'd have to follow up with wins. Beating Houston or Army doesn't make that happen.
Exactly. Key Wins = Increased Interest and Turnouts. Both TCU and Boise St have proven that this formula works. UCF is now following the same script.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:23 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 am
winwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:22 am
wave97 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:08 am
Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:45 am
Jaxwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:41 pm
nawlinspete wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:34 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm
At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
I disagree to a certain extent. Even if we win 8 games a year for 5 years we won’t fill Yulman. The general public is not interested in the AAC schedule, nor most of the out of conference games we play at home. Unless we go undefeated and to a big bowl, we won’t fill the stadium regularly,
I disagree. If we beat Auburn or houston & army and have a strong winning record I believe we will sell out for UCF at Yulman this year.

It’s really not that hard to figure out. Signature wins and a winning team against desirable opponents will fill the stadium
+1
Winning within the conference is important, but defeating top tier non-conference opponents is essential for attracting a new local fan base and re-capturing the long lost NOLA fan base.
Agree. Beating Auburn could get us that sell out against UCF. More importantly we'd have to have be unbeaten. We'd have to follow up with wins. Beating Houston or Army doesn't make that happen.
Exactly. Key Wins = Increased Interest and Turnouts. Both TCU and Boise St have proven that this formula works. UCF is now following the same script.
It's the W's that are critical , not the weight rooms; although Dannen has been a total disaster in terms of donations . It is WINS AGAINST QUALITY OPPONENTS not just wins against lazy scheduling opponents who DO. NOT MOVE THE NEEDLE.
UNFORTUNATELY New Orleneans do not care about beating Tulsa or SMU or Connecticut or Temple making scheduling of name brand high profile OOC opponents critical and essential so we can fill CowDick and escape the AAC by WINNING against these name brand programs .

Winning will be the way out of AAC oblivion, Facilities would be nice if Dannen would get off his lazy ass and raise the money needed which would become easier by beating high profile opponents New Orleanians will pay to see us play .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
oliveandblue
High Tide
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:27 am

Dannen was in good graces until he defended Dunleavy. That was a massive PR mistake to defend a coach that is obviously failing.

Note how he hasn't won a game since the show of support.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13738
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am

You can't win against quality opposition on a consistent basis without good players and good coaches. Facilities are what helps get them.
Let's Roll !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18572
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:55 am

I agree. But If you ask our current coaches about how our facilities stack up to others in our league they will tell you in the middle. They will also tell you that we don’t lose any recruits over facilities nor do we get any because of them.
ULL has good facilities but they haven’t been able to leverage it to consistent success.
Of course we should strive to get better facilities but it’s not the reason for our lack of consistency.
I believe it’s more due to some bad coaching hires over the years. Being a G5 we’d have to spend money like Houston does to get consistent winning along with better facilities but I don’t ever see Tulane doing that.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami
Posts: 5525
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:03 am

gbgreenie wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:30 am
What about the baseball series against a Top 10 SEC Opponent Ole Miss, Not even close to a sellout with a chance for a National Ranking, as many Ole Miss fans as Green Wave Fans.
Are you stupid or trolling? I need to know before I formulate an answer to the lies and bullshit you have been posting on here. You have no concept of reality or the past.
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:07 am

tpstulane wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:55 am
I agree. But If you ask out current coaches about how our facilities compare to others in our league they will tell you in the middle. They will also tell you that we don’t lose any recruits over facilities nor do we get any because of them.
Winning is key . If you want locals paying to see us , as opposed to LaLa supporters paying to see their team. we have to schedule opponents locals want to see . Our facilities are not holding our wins down. . Reference: Fritz .our wins need to come against competition locals will pay to see and unfortunately we are in a conference locals do not care about; making it even more important , ESSENTIAL, that ths AD schedule to locals , not people from Lafayette .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am
You can't win against quality opposition on a consistent basis without good players and good coaches. Facilities are what helps get them.
You can get away with sub-par facilities for a period of time as long as your winning. Without a 40 million dollar payout, it is tough to compete without heavy athletic subsidies. Will future realignment consider 16 team conferences? A sixth conference may be added to accommodate a new playoff format. I think the SEC would do well to add Tulane to a 16 team conference. We are/were a natural fit.
Pepper
Surge
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am

sader24 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:03 am
gbgreenie wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:30 am
What about the baseball series against a Top 10 SEC Opponent Ole Miss, Not even close to a sellout with a chance for a National Ranking, as many Ole Miss fans as Green Wave Fans.
Are you stupid or trolling? I need to know before I formulate an answer to the lies and bullshit you have been posting on here. You have no concept of reality or the past.
I think he's Jonathan's offspring.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13738
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:01 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:55 am
I agree. But If you ask our current coaches about how our facilities stack up to others in our league they will tell you in the middle. They will also tell you that we don’t lose any recruits over facilities nor do we get any because of them.
ULL has good facilities but they haven’t been able to leverage it to consistent success.
Of course we should strive to get better facilities but it’s not the reason for our lack of consistency.
I believe it’s more due to some bad coaching hires over the years. Being a G5 we’d have to spend money like Houston does to get consistent winning along with better facilities but I don’t ever see Tulane doing that.
That's what one would expect coaches to say. The poor coaching hires come from not having the facilities to attract good coaches. We need that football ops. building and a new arena for basketball. Tulane needs to figure out how to get it done. As for the ULL comparison they are not in a world renowned city and they are in a crappy conference.
Let's Roll !
Post Reply