Guerry Smith

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
TURVS71
Swell

Well, had a little twitter war with this “sportswriter” over his claim that lsu downright embarassed UCF in the Fiesta. I stated that I felt an 8 point loss was not an embarrassment and that UCF had a couple of dropped passes that could have resulted in a UCF victory.
He promptly stated that no one thought UCF had a chance to win that game and that I was embarrassing myself staying so.

Then I basically insulted his “sports reporting” and told him to kiss my ass ....

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Profoundwizard
Swell

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:45 pm Well, had a little twitter war with this “sportswriter” over his claim that lsu downright embarassed UCF in the Fiesta. I stated that I felt an 8 point loss was not an embarrassment and that UCF had a couple of dropped passes that could have resulted in a UCF victory.
He promptly stated that no one thought UCF had a chance to win that game and that I was embarrassing myself staying so.

Then I basically insulted his “sports reporting” and told him to kiss my ass ....
I’m not much of a Guerry fan and “embarrassed” might be a stretch but LSU was clearly the better team. Like they’d beat UCF 75 of 100 based on what I watched
tufinal4
High Tide

UCF played with a backup freshman QB and therefore struggled. Their starter would've given LSU fits. There is no denying the gaping difference between these 2 QBs.
Profoundwizard
Swell

tufinal4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 pm UCF played with a backup freshman QB and therefore struggled. Their starter would've given LSU fits. There is no denying the gaping difference between these 2 QBs.
And LSU played without 8 defensive starters.

Milton would have been better but the UCF offensive line couldn’t handle the LSU d line. The QB had no time, Milton wasn’t going to change that.
wavemania
Surge

if anyone really watched the game, UCF was up 14-3 and just stopped LSU on a 4th down play, only to have the ref throw a flag for the DL on UCF for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving LSU a first down. This changed the whole game. UCF would have scored again and put LSU in a big hole. Instead, LSU gets the ball back and promptly scores. The mojo changed right there
Profoundwizard
Swell

wavemania wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 pm if anyone really watched the game, UCF was up 14-3 and just stopped LSU on a 4th down play, only to have the ref throw a flag for the DL on UCF for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving LSU a first down. This changed the whole game. UCF would have scored again and put LSU in a big hole. Instead, LSU gets the ball back and promptly scores. The mojo changed right there
And UCF probably should have been flagged for PI or defensive holding on the pick 6. Goes both ways
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yeah Guerry is mediocre at best as a writer and has views that range from contrarian to ignorant on Twitter. UCF with Milton wins that game. Ucf was not embarrassed. . . Yes LSU dominated the line- and that didn’t stop Ucf from putting up points and their defense from scoring as well. Ucf isn’t known for their line, they are known for their explosive offense and all world QB’s. Their entire team is defined by their QB and should have been a long shot heisman candidate. LSU’s defense is full of interchangeable parts, they’re 3 deep at every position with 4/5 star recruits. Lsu’s Team isn’t defined by one player on defense (and at that their best player on d still played) . . . And QB is the most important position- What position wins the mvp in the nfl year after year ? Oh yes QB.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavemania wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 pm if anyone really watched the game, UCF was up 14-3 and just stopped LSU on a 4th down play, only to have the ref throw a flag for the DL on UCF for unsportsmanlike conduct, giving LSU a first down. This changed the whole game. UCF would have scored again and put LSU in a big hole. Instead, LSU gets the ball back and promptly scores. The mojo changed right there
Ref made the wrong call there. Should have been 5 yards delay of game. The kid wasn’t displaying unsportsmanlike conduct.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:17 pm
tufinal4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 pm UCF played with a backup freshman QB and therefore struggled. Their starter would've given LSU fits. There is no denying the gaping difference between these 2 QBs.

Milton would have been better but the UCF offensive line couldn’t handle the LSU d line. The QB had no time, Milton wasn’t going to change that.
LSU guys sat by choice. During the game both teams lost key players from targeting calls. Milton was out by injury. He’s light years better than Mack. Mack looked like Tanner Lee back there taking unnecessary sacks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
greenphantom
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:17 pm

They lost by 1 score. Milton would have torched LSU’s beleaguered secondary.
greenphantom
Swell

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:45 pm Well, had a little twitter war with this “sportswriter” over his claim that lsu downright embarassed UCF in the Fiesta. I stated that I felt an 8 point loss was not an embarrassment and that UCF had a couple of dropped passes that could have resulted in a UCF victory.

Smith is a fool. He got nasty with me on Twitter a few years ago over Tanner Lee. The game was a good game that would have been entirely different with Milton. Yes, LSU was banged up but that’s a BS excuse considering the athletes that LSU recruits. They already beat Auburn last year so his argument doesn’t hold water.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Not even going to bother arguing with you guys. Your hatred for LSU and love for the underdogs has blinded you. Look at the yards per play for and against. LSU dominated both sides of the ball. UCF was extremely fortunate to only lose by 8.

The BS you guys are spewing is ridiculous. Greedy Williams is not some interchangeable piece, get real. The idea that their 3 deep is interchangeable because they are all 4 and 5 stars is stupid too. Not all 4 and 5 stars are created equally.
sader24
Tsunami

Who cares. It was a bowl game where 1 team was without their QB who is a fantastic player and the other team was without a large amount of major starters. Not to mention it was a meaningless bowl game that some teams flat out don’t care in these days. There was little to be learned from that game either way. I would venture a completely meaningless guess that if both teams were at full strength on a neutral field LSU wins by 10-14 points.
bananax07
Ripple

why does this thread exist? because feelings were hurt on Twitter? the internet is no place to be overly sensitive
nawlinspete
Riptide

bananax07 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 am why does this thread exist? because feelings were hurt on Twitter? the internet is no place to be overly sensitive
Plus. 100,000,000
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pepper
Swell

very poor choice of words; "embarrassed". Regardless of yardage, time of possession, etc, it was a 1 score game. I believe the rest of the SEC was embarrassed by LSU's performance. You can't keep making excuses after every bowl game. UCF can play with these guys in a 1 game setting.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
msdos
Swell

bananax07 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 am why does this thread exist? because feelings were hurt on Twitter? the internet is no place to be overly sensitive
Found guerry’s gotula account
:D
RobertM320
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 am Not even going to bother arguing with you guys. Your hatred for LSU and love for the underdogs has blinded you. Look at the yards per play for and against. LSU dominated both sides of the ball. UCF was extremely fortunate to only lose by 8.

The BS you guys are spewing is ridiculous. Greedy Williams is not some interchangeable piece, get real. The idea that their 3 deep is interchangeable because they are all 4 and 5 stars is stupid too. Not all 4 and 5 stars are created equally.
No one said Greedy Williams is an interchangeable piece. However, their third string based just on talent alone is light years ahead of UCF. They ARE 3-4-5 star players, they're just younger than the starters. UCF has ZERO 4 or 5 star players on the entire roster. Everyone knows the SEC has huge offensive lines, but just because you're bigger doesn't mean you win the game. I guarantee if Milton plays UCF wins 4 times in 10. That's better than 95% of all the P5 teams in the country would do against LSU. So how is that not competitive?

Maybe they were extremely fortunate to only lose by 8. OR, LSU was extremely fortunate that Milton wasn't playing, otherwise there would have be a 75 yd TD pass, as well as another TD where Mack overthrew a wide open receiver in the end zone and they settled for a field goal. That's 11 points right there. Or, suppose the onside kick bounces a foot closer to the UCF guy and they recover? There was enough time to go down and tie the game.

LSU dominated the lines. They did not dominate the game. UCF held their own against a much more talented opponent.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

sader24 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:23 am Who cares. It was a bowl game where 1 team was without their QB who is a fantastic player and the other team was without a large amount of major starters. Not to mention it was a meaningless bowl game that some teams flat out don’t care in these days. There was little to be learned from that game either way. I would venture a completely meaningless guess that if both teams were at full strength on a neutral field LSU wins by 10-14 points.
I disagree. Both teams at full strength, UCF wins 3-4 times in ten. That's better than most P5s would do against LSU.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This game is a perfect example of why they stats are for losers. UCF was not dominated . They lost by 8 and were most certainly in the game. throughout. UCF does what RR taught the world to do- scheme around your deficiencies such as inferior line play.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

msdos wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:43 am
Found guerry’s gotula account
:D
Hahahah
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am This game is a perfect example of why they stats are for losers. UCF was not dominated . They lost by 8 and were most certainly in the game. throughout. UCF does what RR taught the world to do- scheme around your deficiencies such as inferior line play.
Simple question winwave.
If I tell you team A outgained team B 555 yards to 250 and the turnover battle was a tie do you think you’d have a better chance of predicting the winner of that game or predicting a coin flip?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Simple answer. The winner would be easy to pick but that doesn't equate to domination which is what you claim happened. Like I said stats are for losers. They only stat that counts is the final score and they lost by 8.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 am Simple answer. The winner would be easy to pick but that doesn't equate to domination which is what you claim happened. Like I said stats are for losers. They only stat that counts is the final score and they lost by 8.
I agree. All anyone had to do was watch the game. If Mack doesn't over thrown a wide open receiver in the end zone after the muffed punt, the score would have been 34-28 with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. At that point, its anyone's game. How that can be considered domination is beyond me. I mean, as Tulane fans how many times have we won the stats battle only to lose the game? We should know stats mean nothing.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 pm
Ref made the wrong call there. Should have been 5 yards delay of game. The kid wasn’t displaying unsportsmanlike conduct.
There was a lot of bad officiating throughout all the bowl games. Refs had a tendency to try to bail out the favorites, when they were struggling. The UCF/LSU game typified this tendency.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana