AAC Baseball Coaches Poll & Preseason Prediction Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Last edited by winwave on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Great swing here
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cool.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
chain gang x man
Swell

You can take polls with a grain of salt.
Our pitching will be better this year. Chase Solesky has recovered from his back injury and Josh Bates has improved. Connor Pellerin will be our closer and Brendan Cellucci could also provide quality innings. Justin Campbell had a solid summer and Ryan Green is throwing well
We return our entire infield and left fielder. Kobi Owen is back from his Tommy John surgery and will play centerfield. The only position up for grabs is right field. Heinrichs, Sepcich and freshman Hudson Haskin will battle it out.
Grant Matthew will probably handle the DH position with Bedgood also a possibility

The season starts February 15
Pepper
Swell

chain gang x man wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 am You can take polls with a grain of salt.
Our pitching will be better this year. Chase Solesky has recovered from his back injury and Josh Bates has improved. Connor Pellerin will be our closer and Brendan Cellucci could also provide quality innings. Justin Campbell had a solid summer and Ryan Green is throwing well
We return our entire infield and left fielder. Kobi Owen is back from his Tommy John surgery and will play centerfield. The only position up for grabs is right field. Heinrichs, Sepcich and freshman Hudson Haskin will battle it out.
Grant Matthew will probably handle the DH position with Bedgood also a possibility

No excuses this year.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
chain gang x man
Swell

College Baseball Daily prediction

Tulane played a very difficult schedule to start the 2018 season and it showed as they were 9-13 before conference play began. They slid into the AAC Tournament as the eight seed and shocked the one seeded Houston in round one, but then lost their next two games.

Returning Players

First baseman Trevor Jensen is the team’s top returning hitter after batting .306 last year with 35 runs scored, 12 doubles, 9 home runs, and 35 RBI. Second baseman Jonathon Artigues should be back atop the lineup after hitting .303 in 2018 with 49 runs scored, 16 doubles, 3 home runs, 38 RBI, and 10 stolen bases. Third baseman Kody Hoese is also back after hitting .291 a season ago with 34 runs scored, 13 doubles, 5 home runs, and 34 RBI. DH Grant Mathews hit .347 last year in just 37 games with 4 home runs and should be a big piece of the lineup.

Keagan Gillies should be back atop the weekend rotation after posting a 3.36 ERA in 2018 over 80.1 innings pitched with 57 strikeouts. Kaleb Roper will also be back in the weekend rotation after posting a 4.48 ERA a season ago over 76.1 innings with 59 strikeouts. Josh Bates made 10 starts last year and could earn a weekend rotation spot as well. Connor Pellerin made 3 saves as a freshman last year and could be the team’s closer.

Outlook for 2019

This will be a veteran heavy group in 2019, and if they all take another step forward Tulane could be a team to watch this season in the AAC. An early season test at home against Ole Miss could determine if they get an at-large big or not.
Profoundwizard
Swell

chain gang x man wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 am You can take polls with a grain of salt.

You can take the polls with a grain of salt but we can also take all the claims of how improved everyone is with a grain of salt as well. We heard about how improved the pitching staff would be last offseason. Jewett was gushing over Green and Mcaffer, they couldn’t get anyone out once February came around.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Chain- You got any practice notes for us? Thanks.
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:45 pm Chain- You got any practice notes for us? Thanks.
After 2 practices our pitching is looking good
Roper, Gillies, Solesky, Boeneke, Pellerin, Bates, Segar Campbell and Green all took a turn on the mound
The surprise was Campbell who kept the hitters off stride on his 66 mph stuff
Solesky is touching 93 and appears to be back from his injuries from last year
Roper and Gillies were tough on the hitters Friday
Pellerin looks like he can be our right hand closer. Cellucci is scheduled to throw Sunday, he could be our left hand closer
Sunday’s scheduled pitchers are Massey, Johnson, Cellucci, Whelan, Price and Raj

Hudson Haskin has a 2 run HR Saturday
Ty Johnson had 2 stolen bases Saturday
Stephen Sepcich had 2 hits Friday
The blue team turned a 4-3-1 triple play Saturday when Artigues tried to score from second base on what would have been a 4-3 double play
It appears the starting infield will be the same as last year
Jensen at first, Artigues at second, Hoese at third and Gozzo at short
Acy should be the starting catcher but he will have ample backup this year in Niemann and freshman Aaron Mckeithan. Look for Mckeithan to push for more playing time as the year progresses (just my opinion)
The fiercest compition is in the outfield
The only one locked up is Ty Johnson. He has played all 3 positions so far
If Haskin continues to hit he could nail down centerfield
This leaves Mathews, Bedgood, Sepcich, Heinrichs, Stevens, Glancy and Kobi Owen to fight it out for the last spot
DH will be split between Mathews and Bedgood in the beginning of the season although both are left handed. They just hit too good to keep out of the lineup

The views expressed above are mine and mine alone. A lot can happen between now and Feb 15
Houma de Wave
Swell

chain gang x man wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:40 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:45 pm Chain- You got any practice notes for us? Thanks.
After 2 practices our pitching is looking good
Roper, Gillies, Solesky, Boeneke, Pellerin, Bates, Segar Campbell and Green all took a turn on the mound
The surprise was Campbell who kept the hitters off stride on his 66 mph stuff
Solesky is touching 93 and appears to be back from his injuries from last year
Roper and Gillies were tough on the hitters Friday
Pellerin looks like he can be our right hand closer. Cellucci is scheduled to throw Sunday, he could be our left hand closer
Sunday’s scheduled pitchers are Massey, Johnson, Cellucci, Whelan, Price and Raj

Hudson Haskin has a 2 run HR Saturday
Ty Johnson had 2 stolen bases Saturday
Stephen Sepcich had 2 hits Friday
The blue team turned a 4-3-1 triple play Saturday when Artigues tried to score from second base on what would have been a 4-3 double play
It appears the starting infield will be the same as last year
Jensen at first, Artigues at second, Hoese at third and Gozzo at short
Acy should be the starting catcher but he will have ample backup this year in Niemann and freshman Aaron Mckeithan. Look for Mckeithan to push for more playing time as the year progresses (just my opinion)
The fiercest compition is in the outfield
The only one locked up is Ty Johnson. He has played all 3 positions so far
If Haskin continues to hit he could nail down centerfield
This leaves Mathews, Bedgood, Sepcich, Heinrichs, Stevens, Glancy and Kobi Owen to fight it out for the last spot
DH will be split between Mathews and Bedgood in the beginning of the season although both are left handed. They just hit too good to keep out of the lineup

The views expressed above are mine and mine alone. A lot can happen between now and Feb 15
Thanks, chain. Appreciate your insight.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for that great report chain. Much appreciated. Sounds like Latham is doing his job.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I see a Regional this year. First time I’ve felt this way since Pierce’s last season. With a solid veteran ball club returning I predict they will surprise this season.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm I see a Regional this year. First time I’ve felt this way since Pierce’s last season. With a solid veteran ball club returning I predict they will surprise this season.
What makes you think that? Blind hope?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm I see a Regional this year. First time I’ve felt this way since Pierce’s last season. With a solid veteran ball club returning I predict they will surprise this season.
I believe pitching will be better and hitting with power as well. Latham being here will have noticeable positive impact on our staff. Hitting was never an issue and we’ll score runs.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 pm
I believe pitching will be better and hitting with power as well. Latham being here will have noticeable positive impact on our staff. Hitting was never an issue and we’ll score runs.
I know everyone thinks we just need to throw strikes but Our opponents hit .272 against us last year. If that happens again, I’m not sure just limiting the walks is going to be enough
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 pm
I know everyone thinks we just need to throw strikes but Our opponents hit .272 against us last year. If that happens again, I’m not sure just limiting the walks is going to be enough
When your always pitching behind in the count that tends to happen.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm hopeful too. Like football the change in coaches here gives optimism. May it happen. :cheers:
Profoundwizard
Swell

I agree that Latham will help improve the pitching staff but the gap between what we were last season and a regional team is a pretty big one.
chain gang x man
Swell

DrBox
Riptide

We were 86 in RPI last year. If a basketball team went from 86 to the NCAAs, no one would notice.
In 2014, we were 148th.
The improvement in the assistants over Jewett's 2 seasons is significant.
I think his open-mindedness and lack of ego in bringing back former Tulane people onto his staff speaks a lot for Jewett.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 am We were 86 in RPI last year. If a basketball team went from 86 to the NCAAs, no one would notice.
In 2014, we were 148th.
I think his open-mindedness and lack of ego in bringing back former Tulane people onto his staff speaks a lot for Jewett.
100% Agree
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

DrBox wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 am We were 86 in RPI last year. If a basketball team went from 86 to the NCAAs, no one would notice.
In 2014, we were 148th.
Some here have said he was forced to fire Dickinson.
I honestly hope that isn’t true because there was nothing more obvious than the need for a new pitching coach.

I’m not getting my hopes up, if y’all want to risk getting bamboozled go ahead. I’m going to wait until they prove something.

I don’t get the comparison to 2014 with last year. Not really remotely similar circumstances.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave
Top of the WAVE