Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
High Tide
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Uhhh, one recruit who hasn’t signed a letter of intent is of little consequence. I hope he does come here, but we’re talking about him coming here in two years and two year of big programs trying to poach him as we continue to be awful.

This isn’t an attack on you. I am a huge homer with green tinted glasses, who likes Dunleavy . . . But I dont think he is the solution. If he gets another 4 star for NEXT year (not including Nobals or Walker) I’ll change my tune.

PS Seton Hall transfer Jordan walker at one point was a 4 star commit. I hope he puts it all together for us next year and takes a big step forward mentally (humility & team ball) and physically.


User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 am

Wave QB wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:57 am
Wave QB wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am
1. Larry Caradaro
(A diamond in the rough who is looking for a chance at the big time. I know many of you might be shocked that he is at the top of my list due to his inexperience on the major level, but this kid can really coach! He reminds me of Brad Stevens. His overall coaching record is 128-18 at LSU-Alexandria in his fourth season. He took them to the post season every year so far, and was the 2017 NAIA Coach of the Year. Remember this post fellas. This kid is the real deal from the floor.)

2. Mike Davis
(A veteran coach of the game who was 115-79 at Indiana, 122-73 at UAB, and a 118-69 record at Texas Southern. At Indiana, he went to the post season 5 of 6 years that included 1 NCAA Runner Up. At UAB, he took the Blazers to the post season 4 out of 6 years and won a conference championship. At Texas Southern, Davis knocked off some major division I programs, went to the post season 5 of 6 years, and won 4 conference titles while squeezing blood from a turnip. He is currently the coach at Detroit.)

3. Kyle Keller
(A very solid defensive coach who took Stephen F Austin to the big dance last year, and has been around plenty of programs as an assistant in route to being a HC. I think he could win at Tulane.)
Bump.

I am moving Steve Alford to this list. 597-289 as an head coach. Plenty of post season apperences along with multiple conferences championships.


Caradaro is a risky hire, but he can coach his tail off. Alford would turn us into a conference contender quickly. Davis would put together great schedules for the Wave and get our boys ready to be a conference tournament contender on a regular basis. Keller would bring in one of the best classes we have seen in a long time due to his recruiting skills. He knows talent.

Any of the guys will bring some excitement to our program. I was against Conroy being replaced by Dunleavy from the beginning. Yes, Conroy has is flaws, but he coached well from the floor and brought in some solid talent. It’s really a shame that he couldn’t keep them because I believe that he would have seen the big dance had he kept them together. It’s time to send Dunleavy packing.

Yo QB,

Call up Mike Davis! I think he would leave where he is a build a winning program in New Orleans! He got blood from a turnip at Texas Southern and brought them to the Big Dance and the NIT a few times. Dunleavy has to go.



Emailed this to our AD this morning!

For a great low rate we could get on-line, call up the General and save some time!

http://www.lsuagenerals.com/SIDHelp/m/2 ... aro%7C.php
Bowl Wave!
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:59 pm

I think if TD wants another splash hire with a chance at making us NCAA tournament contenders sooner rather than later, I'd hope he's been talking with the agent for Steve Alford. If he wants to go home grown and hire and up and coming coach, I think the guy from LSU=A is very interesting. If he can recruit kids that can handle Tulane academics (even the sports friendly majors we now offer) I think he'd be a winner pretty quickly as well. Holding on to a Larry Cordero could be difficult, unless we give him new contracts or incentive-laden contracts that keep him in New Orleans. I would think a Steve Alford, if successful, would want a landing ground to finish his coaching career.

But the time is NOW to be lining up the next HC, and make an announcement immediately after we are out of the AAC tournament.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Bicoastalwave
High Tide
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm

I would add Steve Forbes to that list. He has experience in Louisiana and the South and has made a directional Tennessee school a power. He signed a contract extension last year that made him the highest paid coach in his conference. . . $400k a year. This was his rebuilding year and they are still kicking ass. He coached under Bruce pearl at tenn and also coached at Wichita state under Greg Marshall- so I think he understands our league Is legit. He has taken etsu to the ncaa tourney.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_F ... asketball)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5343
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Alford is never ever coming to Tulane. Never.
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

End this waste of time Post, at least for two years Dunleavy is going nowhere, we have better things to devote energy to!!! Upcoming baseball Season, Spring practice in Football and value added conversation. This post is not value added since Dunleavy is safe for at least two years, and if after that if and only if a change becomes necessary the players will have changed in the Conversation. So let's end this wasted "Negativity"
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:26 pm

24-59 for a winning percentage of .289. There is no defense for being this bad.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5343
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 am

gbgreenie wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm
End this waste of time Post, at least for two years Dunleavy is going nowhere, we have better things to devote energy to!!! Upcoming baseball Season, Spring practice in Football and value added conversation. This post is not value added since Dunleavy is safe for at least two years, and if after that if and only if a change becomes necessary the players will have changed in the Conversation. So let's end this wasted "Negativity"
This man may actually be right
Sunamiwave
Low Tide
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:42 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

What gbgreenie calls wasted negativity is in the real world called holding coaches accountable and you will be judged on your win loss record as head coach.. Gbgreenie clearly has the Rick Dickson mindset of we don’t judge our program by wins and losses. I thought we had rid ourselves of that loser mindset when Dickson left Tulane. Hopefully Gbgreenie is not in the Tulane Athletics administration because the we don’t judge by wins and loses mindset would ultimately lead to our demise as an athletics program.
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Sunamiwave you have a gross impatient complex, Almost ladies if you excuse the expression like a impatient woman!!! One question were you one of the negative fans that wanted to ride Willie out of town!!! Probably so. And for your information I have been a fan since the 60's and in no way would put up with a Rick Dickson or Cowen mentality. We have an athletic Director that is hands on and I have total trust in him. He will not govern with a knee jerk mentality like you. Each situation in coaching is different. Just like I saw the hard work in Fritz's staff it is there also with Dunleavey, his knowledge of the game is unsurpassed by anyone. After that you get to personnel. His recruiting is outstanding his recruits are sort after by other big programs that alone says something. Just like with Willie the teams problem was with the quarterback. Quarterback and Point Guard are the focal point of any team, as they go so does the team. If you are too blind to see that, because of injuries and no bonified point guard at this point the team has no direction. Dunleavy can't play the game he coaches. The point guard controls the flow of the team on the court. The point guard sets up the rest of the team for easy jump shots or layups. Because of the lack of depth at point guard players can't concentrate on shooting they have to also work to get open. Dunleavy has help coming and that is very obvious. Your lack of understanding the flow of the game and the importance of Point Guard Leadership to any basketball team you are a sorry case, just like those that wanted to ride Willie out of town. You are pathetic with your lack of focus on the overall picture of the team and coaching.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

If our AD is truly hands on, MD will NOT HAVE A CHANCE at coaching another season at Tulane. The record speaks for itself. And football is entirely different than basketball. There's no excuse for a team to go 4-26 or 5-25 (if we catch a team on a bad night in February) in a coach's 3rd season regardless of having an injury at PG. NONE. This is the worst three year stretch in the history of Tulane Basketball, and the experiment has failed and needs to be ended.

Either MD steps down or TD fires him. Otherwise there's no accountability with regards to mens basketball. The program is in far worse shape than it was three years ago. A winning percentage of .190 is a horrible record by any measure. Heck, the best thing MD has done is make our baseball coach look competent.

If MD returns, we should have less than 300 at our home games next year. Fans will vote with their ticket buying dollars and between the seat licenses and the horrible on court product, nobody wants to pay to watch a MD team make the University look silly for a fourth season.

There's been a number of available coaches mentioned in this thread that would have MANY more wins with this roster than the 4 MD has posted. Trolling this board by trying to defend MD kills any and all credibility you might have had; he's proven he cannot coach a winning college team, and NBA owners don't think he can win there, either.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
pansdad
Ripple
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 pm

I wonder who in the hell is the TROLL who continues to assure us that the coach will be back and that our basketball team will be highly successful next season. I wonder if his name is Dunleavy? I will give him this: he takes the time to type out long BS messages. Sick!
pansdad
Ripple
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Too much time on his hands. Laughs!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13510
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm
If our AD is truly hands on, MD will NOT HAVE A CHANCE at coaching another season at Tulane. The record speaks for itself. And football is entirely different than basketball. There's no excuse for a team to go 4-26 or 5-25 (if we catch a team on a bad night in February) in a coach's 3rd season regardless of having an injury at PG. NONE. This is the worst three year stretch in the history of Tulane Basketball, and the experiment has failed and needs to be ended.

Either MD steps down or TD fires him. Otherwise there's no accountability with regards to mens basketball. The program is in far worse shape than it was three years ago. A winning percentage of .190 is a horrible record by any measure. Heck, the best thing MD has done is make our baseball coach look competent.

If MD returns, we should have less than 300 at our home games next year. Fans will vote with their ticket buying dollars and between the seat licenses and the horrible on court product, nobody wants to pay to watch a MD team make the University look silly for a fourth season.

There's been a number of available coaches mentioned in this thread that would have MANY more wins with this roster than the 4 MD has posted. Trolling this board by trying to defend MD kills any and all credibility you might have had; he's proven he cannot coach a winning college team, and NBA owners don't think he can win there, either.
D- I agree with most of your post. I have to ask though what you think will make attendance bigger next year? :mrgreen:
Let's Roll !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 pm

D- I agree with most of your post. I have to ask though what you think will make attendance bigger next year? :mrgreen:
IF MD returns, the first year players families will come to many of the games and bring friends with them. Maybe 300 is an over-estimation, you would know better than me!

But it's a sad situation when Volleyball SHOULD draw more fans than mens basketball.

:lolgreen: :cheers: :fart: :cheers:
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 am
gbgreenie wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm
End this waste of time Post, at least for two years Dunleavy is going nowhere, we have better things to devote energy to!!! Upcoming baseball Season, Spring practice in Football and value added conversation. This post is not value added since Dunleavy is safe for at least two years, and if after that if and only if a change becomes necessary the players will have changed in the Conversation. So let's end this wasted "Negativity"
This man may actually be right
If he ends up being right, then we should continue this thread—and hound Dannen like a pack of heienas. If we keep MD, he will likely continue his long history of a sub .300 winning percentage. No future recruits can overcome the total lack of coaching that they will receive. If Dannen can’t see what is already obvious, then we’ll have to keep reminding him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:49 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:07 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 am
gbgreenie wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm
End this waste of time Post, at least for two years Dunleavy is going nowhere, we have better things to devote energy to!!! Upcoming baseball Season, Spring practice in Football and value added conversation. This post is not value added since Dunleavy is safe for at least two years, and if after that if and only if a change becomes necessary the players will have changed in the Conversation. So let's end this wasted "Negativity"
This man may actually be right
If he ends up being right, then we should continue this thread—and hound Dannen like a pack of heienas. If we keep MD, he will likely continue his long history of a sub .300 winning percentage. No future recruits can overcome the total lack of coaching that they will receive. If Dannen can’t see what is already obvious, then we’ll have to keep reminding him.
Amen, brother. This should be more obvious than a billboard with 4-17 for a .190 winning percentage placed on Claiborne Ave near Broadway.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am

We might need to rent another plane gentlemen.
Bowl Wave!
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Online

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am

Eaglewave wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am
We might need to rent another plane gentlemen.
Imagine a drone pulling a small banner around the permiter inside Devlin.
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 13510
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm

GreenLantern wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am
Eaglewave wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am
We might need to rent another plane gentlemen.
Imagine a drone pulling a small banner around the permiter inside Devlin.
I like.
Let's Roll !
User avatar
Eaglewave
Swell
Posts: 1984
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am
Status: Offline

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm

winwave wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm
GreenLantern wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am
Eaglewave wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am
We might need to rent another plane gentlemen.
Imagine a drone pulling a small banner around the permiter inside Devlin.
I like.
Me too!
Bowl Wave!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8598
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:28 am

I guess this subect / thread can be deleted
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 7134
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:45 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:28 am
I guess this subect / thread can be deleted
Absolutely not! Dannen and the Athletics Department should know how we feel about Mike Dunleavy and his inability to get the job done.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Given they won’t allow a banner to be pulled by a drone, in Devlin, how about just hanging a banner showing MD’s winning % in each year since arriving at Tulane.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Post Reply