Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

This coaching thing....to change or not to change....is far too divisive and is getting us all wound up. I'd like to help. So here's some pictures of lab puppies and recent banner ads from gotula.net. Enjoy and I hope everyone feels better. #RollWave

ImageImage

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I would rather we have a delightful conversation discussing 3-5 great coaches who will take Tulane to an NCAA birth within 5 years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wow !!! A Coach from the TAPPS league in Texas and then he coached middle school basketball..now that is one hell of a resume'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So nobody has 3-5 names of good midmajor coaches who have succeeded with limited resources and made 1-2 ncaa tourneys ?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 am
wow !!! A Coach from the TAPPS league in Texas and then he coached middle school basketball..now that is one hell of a resume'
:lol: :lol: :lol: For those of you not familiar with Texas high school athletics, TAPPS is the private school league in Texas. Unlike many states where the private and public schools all participate in the same league, with only a couple of exceptions, that doesn't happen in Texas. The TAPP schools are academically the major leagues, but athletically the minor leagues--especially in basketball.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: For those of you not familiar with Texas high school athletics, TAPPS is the private school league in Texas. Unlike many states where the private and public schools all participate in the same league, with only a couple of exceptions, that doesn't happen in Texas. The TAPP schools are academically the major leagues, but athletically the minor leagues--especially in basketball.
TAPP...Texas Association of Private and Prochial Schools, academically the major leagues ?...hmmmm...Westlake, Lake Travis, Georgetown, THE Woodlands...Kingwood...Allen....Plano....Vandergrift.... .and many more Public Schools in Texas would be offended by this comment
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 am
TAPP...Texas Association of Private and Prochial Schools, academically the major leagues ?...hmmmm...Westlake, Lake Travis, Georgetown, THE Woodlands...Kingwood...Allen....Plano....Vandergrift.... .and many more Public Schools in Texas would be offended by this comment
Isn't Westlake where both Drew Brees and Nick Foles played?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:35 pm This coaching thing....to change or not to change....is far too divisive and is getting us all wound up. I'd like to help. So here's some pictures of lab puppies and recent banner ads from gotula.net. Enjoy and I hope everyone feels better. #RollWave

ImageImage
+1000.. Nice on both pictures. But I do have a question. Who actually downloads images of banner ads, regardless of subject matter?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:18 pm
Isn't Westlake where both Drew Brees and Nick Foles played?
that is correct........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlake_ ... ol_(Texas)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That's true. They would be offended, because they, and several other Texas public schools are academically very good, including the one that I graduated from long, long ago. But when factoring in all Texas public schools, the percentage of strong academic schools is well below the comparative percentage of TAPP schools (a similar comparison can probably be found in every state in the nation)--that's where my majors vs minors comment comes from.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Isn’t this thread supposed to be about potential men’s basketball coaches ?
Show Me
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm Isn’t this thread supposed to be about potential men’s basketball coaches ?
Yes. Dunleavy’s failure and potential coaches should be the only thing discussed.
By the way Dunleavy’s first coaches show starts in 5mins at Bruno’s I hope he takes phone calls. Should be interesting.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 pm
Yes. Dunleavy’s failure and potential coaches should be the only thing discussed.
By the way Dunleavy’s first coaches show starts in 5mins at Bruno’s I hope he takes phone calls. Should be interesting.
I'd love an update on how that call in show went!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 pm
Leave storrs. Move to nawlins
Last edited by nawlinspete on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Show Me
Tsunami

Dunleavy took no calls. He said he was pleased with the 11 turnovers and said we shot terrible from beyond the arc (3 for 20 something) can’t remember exactly. Said he thought he had enough depth at PG but apparently he was wrong. Mentioned the transfer from St Johns that’s why he didn’t sign a PG. Basically blaming all the loses on Embo. Said he be most improved player of the year in the AAC had he played.
The man is still in denial that’s he now the worst basketball coach in Tulane history. Said a few players were ill this past week one was Jordan Cornish. Blamed that on the poor play. Basically excuse after excuse. Meanwhile the Titanic continues to sink.
And he praised Blake Paul, a guy that’s been on the bench most of the year while he tries to develop his projects. Oh well. He knows his job is safe so he can do that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the recap. In all likelihood there weren't any callers. All the shows take calls now. The days of cowardly Turdledo are over.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:24 pm
Leave stores. Move to nawlins
Is there another rock to live under near yours, Pete?
gbgreenie
Surge

Please end this waste of time we have the best coach credential wise in the history of the University and narrowly focused individuals that can't see in front their nose keep wanting to undermine every coach Dannon hires before they can establish a solid program. Dannon is giving the coaches free reign to build their programs even if it means taking a step or two back to set the stage for a solid program. Dunleavy is not going anywhere this year or next. Beyond that we all will see. So blowing this hot air about a coaching change is just that "HOT AIR"
Profoundwizard
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am Please end this waste of time we have the best coach credential wise in the history of the University and narrowly focused individuals that can't see in front their nose keep wanting to undermine every coach Dannon hires before they can establish a solid program. Dannon is giving the coaches free reign to build their programs even if it means taking a step or two back to set the stage for a solid program. Dunleavy is not going anywhere this year or next. Beyond that we all will see. So blowing this hot air about a coaching change is just that "HOT AIR"
In year 3 of a program, you stop talking about the accomplishments that your coach had prior to this job. This is time to talk about the results here at Tulane.

If he’s still here next year and we suck again, will you apologize to all of us and admit that we were right and that you didnt know what the heck you were talking about?
WavyHoops
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm
Dunleavy took no calls. He said he was pleased with the 11 turnovers and said we shot terrible from beyond the arc (3 for 20 something) can’t remember exactly. Said he thought he had enough depth at PG but apparently he was wrong. Mentioned the transfer from St Johns that’s why he didn’t sign a PG. Basically blaming all the loses on Embo. Said he be most improved player of the year in the AAC had he played.
The man is still in denial that’s he now the worst basketball coach in Tulane history. Said a few players were ill this past week one was Jordan Cornish. Blamed that on the poor play. Basically excuse after excuse. Meanwhile the Titanic continues to sink.
And he praised Blake Paul, a guy that’s been on the bench most of the year while he tries to develop his projects. Oh well. He knows his job is safe so he can do that.
“Fewer turnovers in a home loss!” Is a hell of a marketing slogan. If people like us can barely pay attention any more, imagine the apathy of the more generic fans.

At some point the record, RPI and almost non-existant attendance have to draw some fire within the league. No?
Show Me
Tsunami

Anyone with a brain (even a pea one) can look at this coach and roster and see next year’s results won’t look much different. Hard to believe we found a coach worst than Finney, Dickerson and Conroy combined but we did.
Jaxwave
Swell

I quit blaming coaches for the ineptness a long time ago. Tulane has to be as difficult a place to recruit basketball players as any in the country when all factors are taken into account: academics, fan base, record, tradition, and history of terrible results. Seriously, there are 200 schools in the country in basketball who would appeal to a kid before Tulane. Kids not only don’t care about academics, they are scared of them. They want to play in a nice facility in front of excited crowds with a chance to win. Heck, even schools like Creighton, Indians St, Seton Hall, and yes N. Iowa are more attractive for them.
Now think for a minute, what coach worth his salt would take this job with the total lack of interest by recruits and our own fan base? The only answer would be old guys like Dunleavy or guys who otherwise would never sniff a HC position who would take it to bank some nice dollars.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am Please end this waste of time we have the best coach credential wise in the history of the University and narrowly focused individuals that can't see in front their nose keep wanting to undermine every coach Dannon hires before they can establish a solid program. Dannon is giving the coaches free reign to build their programs even if it means taking a step or two back to set the stage for a solid program. Dunleavy is not going anywhere this year or next. Beyond that we all will see. So blowing this hot air about a coaching change is just that "HOT AIR"
Please extract your head from your anus.

Dunleavy has such a horrible record he'd be lucky to get re-hired by a D3 program. Seriously, your continued justification of Dunleavy maintaining his position is ludicrous. You are what your record says you are. Other coaches in D1 turn around programs in less than 3 years. Great coaches show a HUGE win increase in year one or two. Our program is so far removed from the approaching mediocre level it was at when he took over. We're three years into an obvious mistake. It needs to be fixed, at year end. That .250 winning percentage is all on Mike Dunleavy, and has little or nothing to do with him "cleaning house." He simply is not a good NCAA basketball coach, and that's being kind.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I am guessing that had it been left solely to your decision, Curtis Johnson would remain as our football coach.