Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:49 am After the Dunleavy disaster, no way TD goes anywhere near another NBA retread.
Exactly

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

Iona HC.

Pretty impressive creds at Iona:

https://icgaels.com/coaches.aspx?rc=850&path=mbball
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
swampnik
Surge

Pepper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 am Iona HC.

Coach Cluess could be a steal for TU. His team takes on No.1 seed NC tonight.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 am

I suggested Cluess 3 years ago. A local kid from my hometown was his point guard at the time. Having thought about it in the intervening time, I want someone that has ties to the South, even better if he has local ties in and around New Orleans.

He's a hell of a coach, though, and I know he's turned down other jobs including a Big East offer.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

This guy is a winner . Can obviously recruit and coach .

Will he be willing g to come to Tulane and start over ?

Let's hope so .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

Excellent coach, but He's 60; a rebuild takes some kind of 24/7 energy. Coached entire career in NY
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agreed. i think a 45-55 year old coach with southern ties are two boxes that need to be checked.
austxwave
High Tide

I can't get behind somebody who fans will quickly and easily change his name if he struggles: Coach Clueless
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I’m hearing that our new basketball coach will be announced Monday. I have not yet been able to get a name. Stay tuned.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:46 pm

This guy is a winner . Can obviously recruit and coach .

Will he be willing g to come to Tulane and start over ?

Let's hope so .
He's a Northeast guy that has turned down better jobs than Tulane. I'm not sure he'd succeed in the deep South.
Jaxwave
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:54 pm I’m hearing that our new basketball coach will be announced Monday. I have not yet been able to get a name. Stay tuned.
Uh oh. If it’s Monday I’m suspicious it’s Avery Johnson seeing as a mutual buyout seems to be happening between him and Bama today.
If it is him I will be pulling hard for him to be successful, but am real doubtful
that his type of recruits will be able to get in then stay in school.
The other possibility is someone Dannen knows well from his days at N Iowa.
DrBox
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:54 pm I’m hearing that our new basketball coach will be announced Monday. I have not yet been able to get a name. Stay tuned.
Wow - that's surprising....and kind of scary.
This quickly - maybe Dannen's guy from N Iowa, Jacobson? He hasn't done much lately.
wavedomer
Trickle

Seth Davis is saying on Twitter that Ron Hunter is prime target.
nawlinspete
Riptide

wavedomer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 pm Seth Davis is saying on Twitter that Ron Hunter is prime target.
Meh... nothing special , lots of losing seasons well into tenure at both IUPUI and Georgia State .

Pass
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm
wavedomer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 pm Seth Davis is saying on Twitter that Ron Hunter is prime target.
Meh... nothing special , lots of losing seasons well into tenure at both IUPUI and Georgia State .

Pass
True at IUPUI. But he had 1 losing season at Ga State and 1 losing season in conference (in separate years). he played in Fogelman this year so he's seen the place...I could see him as being a quick hire.
nawlinspete
Riptide

'Quick' hires do not pan out . We need a 'difficult' hire . Thought we were going to make a 'great's hire by waiting deep into the tourney for a 'difficult' hire that would require monumental persuasion.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Several other outlets have reported he is talking with his family tonight and Ron hunter will give an answer this weekend/Monday.

Ron hunter looks like a good hire to me. Checks many boxes. He’s 54, has succeeded with limited resources at a school without a winning culture/tradition that is in the shadow of a major university. He has experiance recruiting in the south, he has won consistently at GA State and taken them to the ncaa tourney multiple times. The only boxes Unchecked is he still fired up at 54 (which is a youngish age and he is a high energy guy according to reports).

The last and biggest unchecked box is can he recruit with academic restrictions that an elite university like Tulane has. And who actually can check that box at a university without a winning tradition ? Drew at Vandy recruited big but went winless in conference UCSB has their scandal, Colgate doesn’t really count, Harvard/Yale ? That wouldn’t translate to the Deep South
nawlinspete
Riptide

About the only good that can be said is that if Hunter is hired he will already be used to being THIRD FIDDLE IN BASKETBALL

That being said means that DANNEN IS ACCEPTING , OR AT LEAST NOT CHALLENGING, our third fiddle status .

That being said , if Hunter is truly being heavily recruited by Dannen , IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON FROM DANNEN .
ATLWave
Trickle

You guys are so wrong about Hunter, wow. He hasn't even been hired yet, but man y'all are miserable.
greenie78
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 pm About the only good that can be said is that if Hunter is hired he will already be used to being THIRD FIDDLE IN BASKETBALL

That being said means that DANNEN IS ACCEPTING , OR AT LEAST NOT CHALLENGING, our third fiddle status .

That being said , if Hunter is truly being heavily recruited by Dannen , IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON FROM DANNEN .
If an idiot like you is against this hire then I’m all for Hunter.
greenie78
Riptide

ATLWave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 pm You guys are so wrong about Hunter, wow. He hasn't even been hired yet, but man y'all are miserable.
It’s sad that a school like Tulane can produce some of the idiots on this board.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think there are only two people who are vocally against this hire. I am in favor
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:11 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:02 pm About the only good that can be said is that if Hunter is hired he will already be used to being THIRD FIDDLE IN BASKETBALL

If an idiot like you is against this hire then I’m all for Hunter.
+1

He doesn't excite me, but the last time I was excited, I was dead wrong (Dunleavy). I think he's a good, solid coach. I just hope he can recruit to compete in the AAC. There's no questioning his passion, from what I've read.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:14 pm
ATLWave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 pm You guys are so wrong about Hunter, wow. He hasn't even been hired yet, but man y'all are miserable.
It’s sad that a school like Tulane can produce some of the idiots on this board.
Greenie, I'm not convinced Pete is actually a Tulane product.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetime
Swell

I think Hunter would be excellent! I think Kennedy would be excellent!

Anytime we can get a proven winner we need to snag it. Perry was great, I really can't think of any other coach that was above average. Maybe Ned Fowler had a shot, but we all know what happened there. I really thought Roy Danforth from Syracuse would be fantastic. I'm just glad that our administration is fronting up the money for us to go after a winner and buy out Dunleavy.