Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
gbgreenie
Surge

Glenn Wilkes
Former Head Coach
Stetson University

How often have you had to play a season without a good point guard? How often have you heard other coaches say their team would be good if they just had a good point guard?
There is no question but that it is difficult to field a quality basketball team without a quality point guard-one that can lead the team against good defensive pressure, make good decisions with the ball, have the speed to ignite a team's fast break, put defensive pressure on the opponents point guard, and execute the many other things a good point guard has to do.
What do you do when you are faced with a season without good point guard play? You certainly cannot put a mediocre point guard on the floor and expect him to run your offense and defense like a quality point guard would do.

gbgreenie
Surge

Glenn Wilkes
Former Head Coach
Stetson University

How often have you had to play a season without a good point guard? How often have you heard other coaches say their team would be good if they just had a good point guard?
There is no question but that it is difficult to field a quality basketball team without a quality point guard-one that can lead the team against good defensive pressure, make good decisions with the ball, have the speed to ignite a team's fast break, put defensive pressure on the opponents point guard, and execute the many other things a good point guard has to do.
What do you do when you are faced with a season without good point guard play? You certainly cannot put a mediocre point guard on the floor and expect him to run your offense and defense like a quality point guard would do.
gbgreenie
Surge

A good point guard can attack the open seam in the defense and get into the paint for a lay-up, a jump-stop and pull-up jump-shot, a pass to a post player inside, or a kick-out pass to an open perimeter player. It's great if you can shoot the three-pointer well, but getting into the paint is key when the game is on the line... you can get the higher percentage inside shot, or get fouled and go to the free-throw line. So you must be a good free-throw shooter too.

In seeking the paint, you must be able to expect and absorb contact... you're going to get bumped in there and you must be tough, expect the contact and learn to finish in spite of it. Like any other basketball skill, this takes some practice. Even in the paint, you must be in control... use a strong jump stop if the lay-up is not there... and a shot fake.

Get the defender in the air. When attacking the paint, keep your eyes on the rim as this makes the defense guard you (making other teammates open), and gives you a better chance of finishing. Don't go in there every time, just to pass... be a threat to score.
gbgreenie
Surge

A good point guard can attack the open seam in the defense and get into the paint for a lay-up, a jump-stop and pull-up jump-shot, a pass to a post player inside, or a kick-out pass to an open perimeter player. It's great if you can shoot the three-pointer well, but getting into the paint is key when the game is on the line... you can get the higher percentage inside shot, or get fouled and go to the free-throw line. So you must be a good free-throw shooter too.

In seeking the paint, you must be able to expect and absorb contact... you're going to get bumped in there and you must be tough, expect the contact and learn to finish in spite of it. Like any other basketball skill, this takes some practice. Even in the paint, you must be in control... use a strong jump stop if the lay-up is not there... and a shot fake.

Get the defender in the air. When attacking the paint, keep your eyes on the rim as this makes the defense guard you (making other teammates open), and gives you a better chance of finishing. Don't go in there every time, just to pass... be a threat to score.
netshorty
Surge

Thankfully we don't have to guess what it would be like if only MD had a healthy PG to lead the team. We also don't have to guess what it would be like if he was able to pair that PG with some NBA level talent. Let's look all the way back to last year when with this threesome of talent, along with a highly touted transfer, he guided the team to finish 10th out of 12 in conference and lost 9 of their last 10 games. Good stuff. I'm guessing there are some other excuses as to why they weren't good? Probably having to learn the system or some BS like that.
oliveandblue
Surge

The PG problem is real, but it is the fault of the HC for not recruiting two Division 1 caliber PGs.

The rest of the AAC has AT LEAST two PG options, and this team does not. Dunleavy hung his hat on 2 key players, and with one injured he is now out there looking stupid.

I actually hope I'm wrong about this entire setup, but I'm fearing 7-22 followed by 8-21.

The biggest problem I have here is that Tulane could have hired a .500 OVC coach for under half the salary and would be around .450 winning pct. The university is paying Dunleavy in spades - and you pay a guy like him so that you actually have two PGs.
gbgreenie
Surge

Edit

Delete post

Report this post

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Such a holes, Fitts won't control Dannen decisions, you Debbie downers are a pathetic bunch, give it up and move on with this uneducated nonsense. You are making your self look like idiots.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Who's fault is it we don't have a point guard? And what's the record since he got here? You are what your record says you are.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Like our basketball program, I think gbg is in full meltdown mode.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 am Like our basketball program, I think gbg is in full meltdown mode.
I respect his commitment to being loyal to the old man, but damn! We really stink. It's time to bring in a proven winner that has consistently won 18 or more games per year as a college coach.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 am Like our basketball program, I think gbg is in full meltdown mode.
I respect his commitment to being loyal to the old man, but damn! We really stink. It's time to bring in a proven winner that has consistently won 18 or more games per year as a college coach.
What "proven winner", at the major college level, do you suggest...SWAC, Sun Belt, Colonial etc do not count.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Just a sometime winner would be a huge improvement. You know, just somebody who could avoid 15 game losing streaks, coach defense, and come up with an offense other than the NBAs patented “stand around and watch” offense.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 am
Justin a sometime winner would be a huge improvement. You know, just somebody who could avoid 15 game losing streaks, coach defense, and come up with an offense other than the NBAs patented “stand around and watch” offense.
damn... I need to submit my resume'.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

Dannen hired the wrong Dunleavy:

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:31 pm Dannen hired the wrong Dunleavy:

It's too early to write the book on Baker Dunleavy's HC career. He's 14-11 this year, 9=5 in the MAAC. He was 12=21 his first year. The Bobcats have some brutal losses, including Hartford and twice to both Stony Brook and Canisius. Hockey is their top sport.

But it would sure make a lot of sense to hire Baker at multiples of what Quinnipiac is paying him, and let his father be the "HC Emeritus" for a year or two before letting Mike retire. It would be a big uptick in having a coach that knows the college game.

Quinnipiac has some amazing facilities for a smaller college. Their Basketball gym and hockey arena are under one roof, each are about the size of Fogelman. They get better crowds, though.
WavyHoops
High Tide

@DfromCT - since you are in CT, what do think of Jones at Yale?
Wave QB
Swell

WavyHoops wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:39 pm
Wave QB wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:53 am
WavyHoops wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:06 pm
Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 pm Add Steve Alford to that list. He just got fired from UCLA. His record is 587-298.
Man, talk about losing a locker room. UCLA has been just god-awful this season.
UCLA is far from god awful. God awful is losing to Alabama A&M. UCLA is 7-6 and still has a good enough team to make the post season.
Very fair point.

Heading into crucial stretch of 4 AAC games in 12 days, followed by break of 6 days. Let's see what happens.
Well Wavyhoops,

UCLA wasn’t great by any means, but they seem to be sitting at 3rd in the PAC.

I sure wish we could reach out to Steve Alford.
pansdad
Ripple

Maybe we should look at the Loyola coaches (men's and women's) They keep winning championships.
Wave QB
Swell

pansdad wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm Maybe we should look at the Loyola coaches (men's and women's) They keep winning championships.
lol. damn.

Larry Cardaro is taking his Generals to the the RRAC tournament as the top seed again. They are 27-3. If we aren’t going to pay for a big time name, we might as well hire an upcomer who knows the game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm
pansdad wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:31 pm Maybe we should look at the Loyola coaches (men's and women's) They keep winning championships.
lol. damn.

Larry Cardaro is taking his Generals to the the RRAC tournament as the top seed again. They are 27-3. If we aren’t going to pay for a big time name, we might as well hire an upcomer who knows the game.
I would take a Larry Cardaro over a coach that's won an NAIA Conference Tournament with a mediocre record. Cardaro has a ridiculous winning percentage. At least he knows how to win, and would know the local recruiting scene.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:56 am
Wave QB wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm
lol. damn.

I would take a Larry Cardaro over a coach that's won an NAIA Conference Tournament with a mediocre record. Cardaro has a ridiculous winning percentage. At least he knows how to win, and would know the local recruiting scene.
In stark contrast to Dunleavy’s ridiculous losing percentage.
Eaglewave
Swell

We have to step up and put heat on our AD people! He can’t believe that he is going to get a way with allowing us to sit through this joke of a season.
Ball Sumrall!
gbgreenie
Surge

Do you dumb guys like talking to a brick wall, no one is listening to you but yourself a half dozen or so negative pathetic narrowly focus has beens. Dunleavy is here to stay, Dunleavy is building a solid program over time that will out last any of you who can't seem to see in front your nose. Each game shows vast improvement over earlier games. The game against a very good Temple team was a big turn around from the horrible game in Foglemen. Wood, Crabtree, Daniels and Sehic are forming a solid group with just a couple of pieces coming next year. Blowhards like you guys are born losers, Be positive and quit hurting or trying to hurt the Greenwave Nation with your negativity that is counter productive and a total waste of time. Give it up losers!!!
Check out the video what positive people accomplish, negativity just holds the Wave back, let go and the sky is the limit. View what real positive people accomplish!!!
breaker
Ripple

Well...........speaking of limits - Tulane has reached the limit of futility. 0-16 in conference. Only 4 out of 300 some Division I teams are winless in their conference (Tulane, Vandy, Portland, and Chicago State), and only Chicago State has fewer overall wins. Looks like the limit has been reached, but it wasn't the sky. But, whether financial reasons or other, Tulane has always been slow to cut bait with underperforming coaches. Seems like history will repeat itself.
Eaglewave
Swell

breaker wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm Well...........speaking of limits - Tulane has reached the limit of futility. 0-16 in conference. Only 4 out of 300 some Division I teams are winless in their conference (Tulane, Vandy, Portland, and Chicago State), and only Chicago State has fewer overall wins. Looks like the limit has been reached, but it wasn't the sky. But, whether financial reasons or other, Tulane has always been slow to cut bait with underperforming coaches. Seems like history will repeat itself.

Damn! I was picking Vandy to upset Arkansas tonight at home after losing to them by 3 earlier in the year. They got dragged 84-48. They just gave up after being 2 at the half. Portland is going to fall in their tourney this week and regular season is over. Chicago State has a shot to win their last conference game at home vs UMKC. We might finish 1 of 3 winless conference game programs.
Ball Sumrall!