Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am
You also haven't seen this team playing with a point guard all year. I'm upset too, but it's not insignificant to have a bunch of freshmen out there with no one running the offense at all. Even as a redshirt freshman, Barrett should be better, but he is not and there are NO OTHER OPTIONS. You can't just go get a new guy like the pros do. You can fault Dunleavy for getting into this situation, but I don't think this proves that he will or should be fired after this year. I agree that you are just wasting your breaths (not a totally unusual thing on this forum).
No disagreement in most offenses the PG is the floor leader and plays a major factor in the efficiency of the offense. And while missing Ona Embo likely has had an affect on this team, to what degree is really debatable. We have 2 years of evidence of Ona Embo running MD's offense and it produced a 8-28 conference record. Last year, he had two NBA prospects surrounding him and they didn't finish above .500 and had just 5 conference wins. The Dunleavy system does not appear to be based on guard penetration which is the value a good point guard brings. Hell, against zone defenses they just swing the ball around the 3 point line. So even if you put a really good PG on the floor, having him run this MD offensive scheme probably doesn't equate to much. But that is also debatable.

What is not debatable is the other side of the floor. Defensively, the have no help defense principles, are not coached to minimize transition buckets and give up easy looks nearly every possession. Supposedly Ona Embo is a good defender but while he looks good at times putting pressure on the ball, the problem is that once he gets beat, which happens because he's being aggressive, it leads to a layup-fest, Again because we have no help defense.

Possibly we don't lose to Alabama A&M with Ona Embo on the floor. Maybe SE LA is a win. But we have 2 years of proof that an Ona Embo led, Dunleavy coached eam will get us a .323 winning percentage, This year is just the nail in the coffin (hopefully)..

And yes, it is on Dunleavy for not recruiting a backup PG. But honestly, it doesn't even matter who's PG.

For the record I'm not insulting or blaming Ona Embo at all for this fiasco. I think he's a good player. But he's setup to fail in this system as is every other player. It's all on MD.

netshorty
Surge

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:46 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am gbgreenie: Calling us pea brains for wanting Dunleavy replaced shows your ignorance. He's had three years, and NONE of his recruits look anything like they're the ones to turn the program around. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and Dunleavy's record is going to put him as the worst coach in Tulane Basketball history.

I respect the man, and wish him well, but he MUST step down or be fired as soon as this season ends. We suck, and are in the bottom 10% of the 330 D1 basketball programs. Unacceptable after 3 years. Do you think a GOOD college coach would have us in this position after 3 years?
+1,000 No way we can keep MD. If we keep him, there could be a mass exodus of players transferring elsewhere. The frustration isn't just with the fans. Most our players probably feel very much like we do, and wondering what MD is doing, or more accurately what is he not doing. In the meantime, the program's free fall continues. I will be very surprised if we win another game this year.
"Most our players probably feel very much like we do"? Probably? How would you propose to know that? You mean the freshmen that he just recruited and are playing double digit minutes in every game? I'm sure they are frustrated with losing but how can you blame the coach when you are the actual person missing the shot or losing your man on defense or throwing the ball to the other team? Who would you worry about losing, the players you complain about as being inferior? This team has 4 players who are upper classmen: Cornish, Paul, Sehic and Ona Embo. One doesn't play at all, one plays very little until he fouls out and the other two contribute something. These young players have it made as far as playing time.

How many programs do you think only have 4 upper classmen on the entire team? If they do, they aren't winning either. Maybe Dunleavy ran the dead weight out of here too soon. I don't think so, but you can't have it both ways by saying we had inadequate players before MD got here and blame him for getting rid of them. I continue to say MD will not be fired, but I don't think the current players are too worried about their situation here at all.
Agree, you can't say the players aren't good and then say we'll be in bad shape because we're going to lose them all. You make a good point, MD has made these players look so bad that they don't have any other options at D1 programs, their playing time is guaranteed here, even if it means that you get b*tch-slapped every game. But the losing has to be killing them.

But your point about only having 4 upper classmen, it's irrelevant. The best programs in the country are playing a ton of underclassmen, some as many as 5 freshman. I'm not saying we should be a Duke and bring in a new fab 5 every year. But it is proven you don't have to have upperclassmen to win. Rebuilding a program can happen with one recruiting class. This is basketball not football. At the end of 3 years we'll have fewer wins this season then Ed Conroy, Dave Dickerson, or Shawn Finney's worse year. 2 of his 3 years are the worst since year 1 returning from the death penalty. I mean geez, how is that not grounds for termination.
Last edited by netshorty on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WavyHoops
High Tide

“The past isn’t dead, It’s not even past”

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/090311
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm “The past isn’t dead, It’s not even past”

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?pa ... ons/090311
Very funny....and very sad...
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am gbgreenie: Calling us pea brains for wanting Dunleavy replaced shows your ignorance. He's had three years, and NONE of his recruits look anything like they're the ones to turn the program around. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and Dunleavy's record is going to put him as the worst coach in Tulane Basketball history.

I respect the man, and wish him well, but he MUST step down or be fired as soon as this season ends. We suck, and are in the bottom 10% of the 330 D1 basketball programs. Unacceptable after 3 years. Do you think a GOOD college coach would have us in this position after 3 years?
+1,000 No way we can keep MD. If we keep him, there could be a mass exodus of players transferring elsewhere. The frustration isn't just with the fans. Most our players probably feel very much like we do, and wondering what MD is doing, or more accurately what is he not doing. In the meantime, the program's free fall continues. I will be very surprised if we win another game this year.
Bring back Ed Conroy !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm sure the players know enough to recognize that other teams run better plays at the offensive end and compete and work harder than Dunleavy has taught them at the defensive end. In short, they know they're not getting coached up and put in a position to succeed. I don't give a crap what gbg or anEngineer say, these kids are not stupid. The program is in shambles. To ignore that fact is like putting your head under a pillow while your house is on fire. This is the worst state of Tulane basketball in my lifetime, including the years that there was NO basketball program. We're more of an eye sore now than we would be without a team. It IS THAT BAD. This cannot continue another season, and there's nothing to indicate Dunleavy deserves another year. NOTHING.

And as others have posted, there's teams in the top 25 that are as young or younger than this Tulane squad. You know what they say about excuses.....they're like a-holes. Everyone has them and they all stink.

Do the right think Coach Dunleavy and step down during your final post game press conference early in the AAC tournament.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 pm

"Most our players probably feel very much like we do"? Probably? How would you propose to know that? You mean the freshmen that he just recruited and are playing double digit minutes in every game? I'm sure they are frustrated with losing but how can you blame the coach when you are the actual person missing the shot or losing your man on defense or throwing the ball to the other team? Who would you worry about losing, the players you complain about as being inferior? This team has 4 players who are upper classmen: Cornish, Paul, Sehic and Ona Embo. One doesn't play at all, one plays very little until he fouls out and the other two contribute something. These young players have it made as far as playing time.

How many programs do you think only have 4 upper classmen on the entire team? If they do, they aren't winning either. Maybe Dunleavy ran the dead weight out of here too soon. I don't think so, but you can't have it both ways by saying we had inadequate players before MD got here and blame him for getting rid of them. I continue to say MD will not be fired, but I don't think the current players are too worried about their situation here at all.
"...how can you blame the coach when you are the actual person missing the shot...." Wake up Engineer. I've known many basketball players that have absolutely blamed their coach for the team's poor performance--in fact that is usually the case. Who wants to keep playing for a spectacularly bad coach, or a coach who can't get the right talent on the court? And it's about more than just playing time. Yes the one's getting the most playing time, and losing, might be inclined to stay, but many of the other players will conclude they can get a shot at playing, under a better coach, somewhere else. As bad as things are right now, they can easily get worse if we keep MD.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

Fred Hoiberg
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Very easy and simple solution- we are really over thinking things. Write a check for $1.5m+ for a great coach that took a resource deplete small private school to the ncaa tournament twice or more. Done. Fin
gbgreenie
Surge

Pea brains just like the ones wanting to run Fritz out of town, you are probably the same people. When in the recent past has the caliber of recruits been this good. They are absent a field general on the floor and stars take time to grow, each one was the star on their teams and as freshman have to learn how to take a backseat and contribute in many other ways.

How many of you remember Fritz, ridding the team of players that did not fit his system, His lst year was a step back, same situation here sometimes you take one step back to take two steps forward, just like I told you Debbie Downers, next year will really be Fritz's breakout year as his talent develops, same with Dunleavy, don't worry be happy plans are in place, good things will happen as these players develop.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

There are MAJOR differences between Fritz and dunleavy. Fritz has been a winner everywhere he has gone, even without the right players his players fought and grinded there way to many close loses and never gave up. . . Hmmmmmmmm I don’t think I have to go any further. I’ll also say I have met dunleavy several times and he is a great guy and I like him. But when you are embarrassed by a couple of the WORST teams in College (ranked in 300’s) in year 3 that’s not going to cut it. It would be like us losing to multiple BAD FCS teams in year 3 of fritz (ignoring also their track records and dunleavy losing his team and coaching them poorly . . . but I digress).

Cut the check Troy !
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm Very easy and simple solution- we are really over thinking things. Write a check for $1.5m+ for a great coach that took a resource deplete small private school to the ncaa tournament twice or more. Done. Fin
Name please.
God Bless Everyone!
ajcalhoun
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm Fred Hoiberg
I know, I know. "Make him tell us 'no!'" Still, I think you're dreaming here.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm Pea brains just like the ones wanting to run Fritz out of town, you are probably the same people. When in the recent past has the caliber of recruits been this good. They are absent a field general on the floor and stars take time to grow, each one was the star on their teams and as freshman have to learn how to take a backseat and contribute in many other ways.

How many of you remember Fritz, ridding the team of players that did not fit his system, His lst year was a step back, same situation here sometimes you take one step back to take two steps forward, just like I told you Debbie Downers, next year will really be Fritz's breakout year as his talent develops, same with Dunleavy, don't worry be happy plans are in place, good things will happen as these players develop.
How you continue to justify a coach who's program is markedly worse three years after he took the leadership than it was when he got here? HE HAS THE WORST RECORD IN TULANE HISTORY.

To not fire Dunleavy at season's end would signal no accountability. Sorry, but your claims that the recruiting has been good are inaccurate. This team is not talent laden, if it were it wouldn't lose to the likes of Alabama A&M. It is also obviously not well coached. How often does a well coached team have 3 or 4 players standing flat footed on the offensive end of the floor, or playing matador defense?

THIS TEAM STINKS AND IS POORLY COACHED. Get that through your pea brained head Mrs Dunleavy. Even your sons would say Dad is doing a horrible job.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 501044002/
Alarming stat:
Tulane ranks 285th in the nation in rebound margin, and last in the AAC in that category. That's not exactly ideal for Dunleavy's team, especially when considering Tulane ranks third in the country in average height.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

I am not going to respond to gbgreenie or others seeking to argue this point. Nobody with a bit of basketball knowledge or even general common sense could defend Dunleavy’s record as a college basketball coach in good faith.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:46 pm Very easy and simple solution- we are really over thinking things. Write a check for $1.5m+ for a great coach that took a resource deplete small private school to the ncaa tournament twice or more. Done. Fin
Name please.
I may be able to name a few.... Pete Carill, P.J. Carlesimo, Dick Tarrant, Bryce Drew...and I suggest MD get a video of Carill's motion offense and install it ASAP if he wants to continue at the College level...if not, I am sure Metry Playground is looking for Coaches...if not Johnny Bright may be an option
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:34 pm I'm sure the players know enough to recognize that other teams run better plays at the offensive end and compete and work harder than Dunleavy has taught them at the defensive end. In short, they know they're not getting coached up and put in a position to succeed. I don't give a crap what gbg or anEngineer say, these kids are not stupid. The program is in shambles. To ignore that fact is like putting your head under a pillow while your house is on fire. This is the worst state of Tulane basketball in my lifetime, including the years that there was NO basketball program. We're more of an eye sore now than we would be without a team. It IS THAT BAD. This cannot continue another season, and there's nothing to indicate Dunleavy deserves another year. NOTHING.

And as others have posted, there's teams in the top 25 that are as young or younger than this Tulane squad. You know what they say about excuses.....they're like a-holes. Everyone has them and they all stink.

Do the right think Coach Dunleavy and step down during your final post game press conference early in the AAC tournament.
Bullseye, D. Most players tend to believe they are better than they are—a natural consequence of a college athlete’s competitive nature. As a result there is also a tendency to blame poor team performance on the coach, and in our case it is absolutely the coach. No athlete wants to be condemned to failure after failure, and that’s what Tulane’s basketball program is currently serving up—and there is no indication that future recruits will change that. Our players do know that they aren’t being coached, and even some
of the younger starters are going to look for alternatives to this MD disaster. And I say that not even knowing what may be going on in the locker room.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 am I am not going to respond to gbgreenie or others seeking to argue this point. Nobody with a bit of basketball knowledge or even general common sense could defend Dunleavy’s record as a college basketball coach in good faith.
+1,000,000. MD’s performance is totally indefenseable, and what recruits are going to save us?—the one that is averaging 2 points per game—but he is tall.
WavyHoops
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 am
Name please.
I may be able to name a few.... Pete Carill, P.J. Carlesimo, Dick Tarrant, Bryce Drew...and I suggest MD get a video of Carill's motion offense and install it ASAP if he wants to continue at the College level...if not, I am sure Metry Playground is looking for Coaches...if not Johnny Bright may be an option
Funny you mention the Princeton offense. Associate Head Coach Stewart actually "liked" this on Twitter recently:

I'm guessing because he was Craig Robinson's assistant at Oregon State.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

WavyHoops wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 am
Name please.
Funny you mention the Princeton offense. Associate Head Coach Stewart actually "liked" this on Twitter recently:

I'm guessing because he was Craig Robinson's assistant at Oregon State.
I remember Petes Princeton's team taking Patrick Ewing and G'town to the wire, in the NCAA tournament... if memory serves a last second shot hit the rim in regulation and G'town would have been eliminated...G'town won in OT...of course I am old enuff to have watched Kentucky play Texas Western of the National Championship.... I will add two more Coaches to the list Al McGuire and Lou Carnesca....I loved watching Al's team's with Dean "the dream" Meminger run their motion O...Al brought his team to play Tulane several times
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am I will add two more Coaches to the list Al McGuire and Lou Carnesca....I loved watching Al's team's with Dean "the dream" Meminger run their motion O...Al brought his team to play Tulane several times
I know many of us have unrealistic expectations as to whom we can get to come here to coach but I suggest we limit our list to those still breathing.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am I will add two more Coaches to the list Al McGuire and Lou Carnesca....I loved watching Al's team's with Dean "the dream" Meminger run their motion O...Al brought his team to play Tulane several times
I know many of us have unrealistic expectations as to whom we can get to come here to coach but I suggest we limit our list to those still breathing.
D.... I was lisitng Coaches who reached the NCAA with small private schools, without outstanding funding...you needed to read my initial posting...oh yeah... I will add one more...Perry Clark
gbgreenie
Surge

Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:27 pm
Thanks for posting that Garrett. Dunleavy has fulfilled everything Troy was looking for but winning. I don’t think any of us believed that he’d turn out to be the worst basketball coach in Tulane history but he has. The experiment has failed. The future has never looked bleaker. If he comes back with the seat license you’ll lose at least half of your season ticket base. Trust me. You are in denial if you believe otherwise. We’ve all been down this road before and it never ends well. Please “show me” some accountability and fire him at the end of this season. Break the Tulane culture of keeping a loser on for another year.