Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:57 pm I think Hunter would be excellent! I think Kennedy would be excellent!

Anytime we can get a proven winner we need to snag it. Perry was great, I really can't think of any other coach that was above average. Maybe Ned Fowler had a shot, but we all know what happened there. I really thought Roy Danforth from Syracuse would be fantastic. I'm just glad that our administration is fronting up the money for us to go after a winner and buy out Dunleavy.
+10000

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ATLWave wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:07 pm You guys are so wrong about Hunter, wow. He hasn't even been hired yet, but man y'all are miserable.
I'm not blown away, but I think he's a solid choice and will give him two years to show me the program is in the right hands. That doesn't mean going to the tourney in two years (though I would love that, as we all would) but being competitive in the conference in two years. Before we ever get to the big dance, we have to have a .500 season, then surpass it. Neither has happened since we've been in the AAC.

I agree, there's no need to bash this guy, who has earned the right to step into this job.
WavyHoops
High Tide

It’s amazing. Folks here think he’s not good enough for Tulane and folks on twitter think Tulane’s not good enough for him. Probably means he’s just about right in terms of level of coach Dannen could attract.

Let’s hope he’s the right one and give him a chance. He certainly can’t be worse than MD.
greenie78
Riptide

I’m satisfied with the hire. I think he’s earned the right unlike the previous coaches.
Eaglewave
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm I’m satisfied with the hire. I think he’s earned the right unlike the previous coaches.

No doubt about it man. Sometimes folks around here forget who we are. This job is not as attractive has many around here believe.

Why?
1. The ability to recruit basketball players who can spell "Tulane University" without asking for help.
2. Conroy's moment in the sun on ESPN when the media bashed Tulane for how he was handled.
3. TD's letter of support for Dunleavy before firing him.
4. The number of talented players who left the program in the past 8 years.
5. Where this program bas been in the AAC.

We aren't in a position to bring in a big time name right now. To be able to bring in a winning coach from a winning division I program who has been to the Big Dance is impressive. He wasn't at the top of my list, but I am happy about this hire.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:19 pm I’m satisfied with the hire. I think he’s earned the right unlike the previous coaches.

No doubt about it man. Sometimes folks around here forget who we are. This job is not as attractive has many around here believe.

Why?
1. The ability to recruit basketball players who can spell "Tulane University" without asking for help.
2. Conroy's moment in the sun on ESPN when the media bashed Tulane for how he was handled.

We aren't in a position to bring in a big time name right now. To be able to bring in a winning coach from a winning division I program who has been to the Big Dance is impressive. He wasn't at the top of my list, but I am happy about this hire.
That was ESPN creating a story at the expense of Conroy and Tulane. Anyone that had a passing interest in Tulane basketball, including Conroy and the players, knew he was going to be fired at least two weeks before the AAC tournament. Dannen came out and publicly stated that the basketball program was not meeting expectations, and that accountability would be a trademark of his regime. Had ESPN done any homework, they would have known and made the story public earlier. As it was, they tried to make it like they had a scoop, which they did not.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:53 am

Why?

That was ESPN creating a story at the expense of Conroy and Tulane. Anyone that had a passing interest in Tulane basketball, including Conroy and the players, knew he was going to be fired at least two weeks before the AAC tournament. Dannen came out and publicly stated that the basketball program was not meeting expectations, and that accountability would be a trademark of his regime. Had ESPN done any homework, they would have known and made the story public earlier. As it was, they tried to make it like they had a scoop, which they did not.
This.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.