Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

He would also be a great choice. Honestly everyone we’ve mentioned (and additionally Alford and Steve Forbes) would all be amazing if we can get them. I have confidence in Troy making a good decision. Just keep Avery Johnson far far away from the program.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Citypark wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:49 pm Reasons Billy Kennedy should be a super selection for Tulane:
1) immediately available 2) hometown boy 3)
loved by high school coaches in NO and throughout LA (remember he successfully coached at Centenary and SLU) 4) won three conference championships in three different conferences 5) took three different schools to the big dance 6) selected coach of the year four times7) took A&M to the Sweet Sixteen on two occasions 8) has an incredible reputation as a recruiter and strategic game coach 9) Tulane would be coming home in the prime of his career for his final coaching challenge 10) A&M contract makes him more affordable 11) season tickets would expand because of his huge local following and because this would be a splash national hire

Remember, this year A&M was hurt by numerous injuries this year. Coach Kennedy also signed a top 20 recruiting class.
Absolutely!
Great resume.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
posse
High Tide

Billy would be a fantastic hire. With the way his situation is right now, it does give us a great chance of landing him. Its like a perfect storm scenario. I agree, he would definitely make a big splash locally, and nationally. Would be a statement hire. I believe he would bring 1 or 2 recruits from his top 20 A&M class with him to Tulane. Let's get him on board asap.
Show Me
Tsunami

posse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:43 pm Billy would be a fantastic hire. With the way his situation is right now, it does give us a great chance of landing him. Its like a perfect storm scenario. I agree, he would definitely make a big splash locally, and nationally. Would be a statement hire. I believe he would bring 1 or 2 recruits from his top 20 A&M class with him to Tulane. Let's get him on board asap.
Should Troy hire Billy K it would be a huge feat. If not Kennedy will end up at a P5 for sure.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm Ryan Odum's name is coming up too. His agent, Bret Just , played at Tulane.
Nope . Pass . Decline . Do not pursue .

What a horrible reason to come here .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Wave QB
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 pm He would also be a great choice. Honestly everyone we’ve mentioned (and additionally Alford and Steve Forbes) would all be amazing if we can get them. I have confidence in Troy making a good decision. Just keep Avery Johnson far far away from the program.

Why so hard on Avery?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 pm He would also be a great choice. Honestly everyone we’ve mentioned (and additionally Alford and Steve Forbes) would all be amazing if we can get them. I have confidence in Troy making a good decision. Just keep Avery Johnson far far away from the program.

Why so hard on Avery?
Because he is a terrible coach ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Any rumors. ?
Wave QB
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 pm
Wave QB wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Why so hard on Avery?
Because he is a terrible coach ....
I don’t know about that. He has had some good seasons in the NBA, and has yet to have an losing season at “football first” Alabama. The Tide has been to a post season tournament every year he has been there, and currently holds the #1 seed in the NIT. (Although we know that power conferences don’t party about NIT invitations.)

While he isn’t at the top of my list, he still would be considered a big time hire for us. I think he could easily win at Tulane and keep us relevant. I just don’t think he has been dealt good hands to hit blackjack at Alabama. I could very well be wrong, but I do think he is a good coach.
DrBox
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:52 pm Ryan Odum's name is coming up too. His agent, Bret Just , played at Tulane.
Nope . Pass . Decline . Do not pursue .

What a horrible reason to come here .
Odom also took a team that never wins to the NCAA tournament and to 3 straight winning seasons.
Kennedy has made the NCAAs only 4 times in 21 seasons as a head coach... 1/5 at Murray State and 2/8 at Texas A&M.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is a pretty good article about Coaches that would welcome a step up. In some cases, they've already coached at a higher level. I particularly like Musselman, Oates and Odum. Then again, they're the top three on the list!

https://watchstadium.com/news/these-col ... 0-13-2018/
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for the link.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
swampnik
Surge

Anyone think any of the candidates from the original search of 3 years ago would be in the running still or interested?
Last edited by swampnik on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:10 am Anyone think any of the candidates form the original search of 3 years ago would be in the running still or interested?
I would hope not since that search resulted in Dunleavy. :mrgreen:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

James Jones (Yale) is available now. Just saying.
DrBox
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm James Jones (Yale) is available now. Just saying.
He was pretty much the top name from 3 years ago.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm James Jones (Yale) is available now. Just saying.
His brother is the head coach at Boston University.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 pm
I'm not interested in James Jones. He has a career record (all at Yale) of 310-276. He has no known exposure to the South (recruiting). About the only box his name checks is that he's had moderate success at a prestigious university.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

How about Matt McMahon ? Young guy, Murray state is destroying Marquette, good record, has coached in the south and was even an assistant at LA Tech.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Mc ... asketball)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think TD was quoted as saying recently that Anthony Grant was his top target and when that fell through he went to MD.
DrBox
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:52 pm How about Matt McMahon ? Young guy, Murray state is destroying Marquette, good record, has coached in the south and was even an assistant at LA Tech.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Mc ... asketball)
I can't tell. Murray State is a school that always wins and they have a lottery pick on their team.

Search has been quiet - target is probably still playing.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Avery Johnson fired by Alabama

PLEASE NOT HERE .
Wave QB
Swell

Damn @nawlinspete

I watched that #1 Bama vs 8 Norfolk State NIT First Round game very hard, and you crossed my mind in tbs second half!
Jaxwave
Swell

Not sure the type of recruit Avery Johnson wins with can be signed by or stay in school at Tulane.
I am really torn about whether we can ever accomplish the vision of more athletic team vs going to a coach with a good scheme who doesn’t need the big time athletic guys.
MicMan
Swell

After the Dunleavy disaster, no way TD goes anywhere near another NBA retread.