Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenie78
Riptide

Forget the retreads. Hire a coach in the same model as Willie Fritz and David Pierce: proven winner from a lower level. Plenty of those coaches out there who deserve a chance instead of retreads like Avery Johnson and Andy Kennedy though I would consider Billy Kennedy.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Its a no from me as far as Avery Johnson is concerned. Other than that, I'm open to going in any direction.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

https://crescentcitysports.com/seven-na ... g-vacancy/

Seven Names to Consider from Crescent City Sports.

Could they bring back Perry? Would he have the energy and enthusiasm he had at the start of his first stint here? If so, I'd be for it.

I like the two Kennedy's. I don't think Pasternik has a shot, with all the baggage he brings.

I think Cordaro is out as a candidate, though I want to watch his career. His winning percentage, albeit at NAIA level, is amazing.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Just don’t hire another NBAer. The NBA is fundamentally different than college basketball. I don’t care if we never get another Tulane player into the NBA, just don’t serve up another season like this one.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 pm Add Steve Alford to that list. He just got fired from UCLA. His record is 587-298.

78-29 at Manchester (4 years, 2 conference championships, 3 NCAA-D3 Tournaments, 1 Runner Up.)

78-48 at Southwestern Missouri State (4 years, 1 NIT, 1 NCAA Tournament, 1 Sweet Sixteen)

153-107 at Iowa (8 years, 2 Big Ten Tournament Championships, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

155-52 at New Mexico (6 years, 4 Mountain West Regular Season Championships, 2 Mountain West Conference Tournament/Regular Championships Titles, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

124-63 at UCLA (5.5 years, 1 PAC-12 Conference Championship, 4 NCAA Tournaments)
Bump
Wave QB
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am 1. Larry Caradaro
(A diamond in the rough who is looking for a chance at the big time. I know many of you might be shocked that he is at the top of my list due to his inexperience on the major level, but this kid can really coach! He reminds me of Brad Stevens. His overall coaching record is 128-18 at LSU-Alexandria in his fourth season. He took them to the post season every year so far, and was the 2017 NAIA Coach of the Year. Remember this post fellas. This kid is the real deal from the floor.)

2. Mike Davis
(A veteran coach of the game who was 115-79 at Indiana, 122-73 at UAB, and a 118-69 record at Texas Southern. At Indiana, he went to the post season 5 of 6 years that included 1 NCAA Runner Up. At UAB, he took the Blazers to the post season 4 out of 6 years and won a conference championship. At Texas Southern, Davis knocked off some major division I programs, went to the post season 5 of 6 years, and won 4 conference titles while squeezing blood from a turnip. He is currently the coach at Detroit.)

3. Kyle Keller
(A very solid defensive coach who took Stephen F Austin to the big dance last year, and has been around plenty of programs as an assistant in route to being a HC. I think he could win at Tulane.)
Bump
Bigschtick
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 pm Just don’t hire another NBAer. The NBA is fundamentally different than college basketball. I don’t care if we never get another Tulane player into the NBA, just don’t serve up another season like this one.
I suspect Mr Dannen has gotten the point.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Eaglewave
Swell

Hopefully, we can make a pitch to Steve Alford.
Ball Sumrall!
greenie78
Riptide

Since we got Fritz from the Sun Belt, how about Ron Hunter from Georgia State? He’s been to the big dance several times with small schools like IUPUI and Georgia St.
Wave QB
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 pm Since we got Fritz from the Sun Belt, how about Ron Hunter from Georgia State? He’s been to the big dance several times with small schools like IUPUI and Georgia St.

I like him. 25 seasons as a college head coach with 22 winning seasons and plenty of post season trips. Georgia State is 99-49 in conference play with him calling the shots. I think he could win in the Big Easy.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

Andy Kennedy would be a knockout hire for us. Does he still have juice left? Would he be willing to come here and clean up our crap is another question.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/co ... edy-1.html
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 am Andy Kennedy would be a knockout hire for us. Does he still have juice left? Would he be willing to come here and clean up our crap is another question.

I'm confused by this. It seems like the Power 5 schools constantly get teams in the NCAA tournament with records like 19-14, 19-13, etc. How does Andy Kennedy win 20+ games 10 times, in the SEC, and only go to the Dance twice?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:37 am
Eaglewave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 am Andy Kennedy would be a knockout hire for us. Does he still have juice left? Would he be willing to come here and clean up our crap is another question.

I'm confused by this. It seems like the Power 5 schools constantly get teams in the NCAA tournament with records like 19-14, 19-13, etc. How does Andy Kennedy win 20+ games 10 times, in the SEC, and only go to the Dance twice?
For most of those years outside of Kentucky and Florida SEC basketball was not a league on par with the other P5’s. Only recently have they emphasized improving the league’s statue (RPI) and trying to get more bids. Their non-conference schedules were always weak. They have gradually changed and are now playing better RPI teams in non conference to help with getting additional bids. And one year Ole Miss won the SEC tournament so they got the automatic bid. So he really only got one at large bid in all those years. You can easily get 20 wins in basketball with scheduling right in a weak league. Can’t fool the committee though. They look well beyond that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm Fred Hoiberg

Bump
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 am
nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm Fred Hoiberg

Bump

Aim high. ,

Steve Alford would work, also .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Andy Kennedy got a lot of SEC wins when the SEC q did not give a rat's ass about BB .

HOPEFULLY Dannen will do much better than Andy Kennedy . THERE IS SOMETHING FISHY about his Mississippi firing....
Pepper
Swell

Interesting article from ISU coach on Billy Kennedy:

https://www.amestrib.com/sports/2019031 ... ush-league
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ron Hunter is a name that keeps getting mentioned around the internet. He would be an interesting hire- not a splashy or a sexy hire, but I would feel confident he would have us competitive.

Checks off a lot of boxes. Sustained success, running a program with minimal resources and without a strong winning tradition, coach of the year a few times, experiance in the south, ncaa tourney appearances and attainable. We can set our sights higher, but wouldn’t be a bad hire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hunter
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Ryan Odum's name is coming up too. His agent, Bret Just , played at Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

He checks many of those same boxes, and is 10 years younger then Ron Hunter.
jhg
Ripple

I think Odom would be a great hire for you.
Ruski
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm Ron Hunter is a name that keeps getting mentioned around the internet. He would be an interesting hire- not a splashy or a sexy hire, but I would feel confident he would have us competitive.

Checks off a lot of boxes. Sustained success, running a program with minimal resources and without a strong winning tradition, coach of the year a few times, experiance in the south, ncaa tourney appearances and attainable. We can set our sights higher, but wouldn’t be a bad hire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Hunter
I said we should go for Hunter a year or two after seeing him coach against us and then Cincy in the tourny.....he's got that fire, that attitude that seems to attract youngsters who won't initially care about the Tulane name
Citypark
Ripple

Reasons Billy Kennedy should be a super selection for Tulane:
1) immediately available 2) hometown boy 3)
loved by high school coaches in NO and throughout LA (remember he successfully coached at Centenary and SLU) 4) won three conference championships in three different conferences 5) took three different schools to the big dance 6) selected coach of the year four times7) took A&M to the Sweet Sixteen on two occasions 8) has an incredible reputation as a recruiter and strategic game coach 9) Tulane would be coming home in the prime of his career for his final coaching challenge 10) A&M contract makes him more affordable 11) season tickets would expand because of his huge local following and because this would be a splash national hire

Remember, this year A&M was hurt by numerous injuries this year. Coach Kennedy also signed a top 20 recruiting class.
Citypark
Ripple

PS. Coach Kennedy’s health is not an issue; doctors indicate it would be at least ten years before he will even start medication. Rest assured, if we do not get him, we will be reading about his signing with another D-1 program!!