Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wavedomer
Trickle

I was at the Temple game on Sunday. We have nobody that can create off the dribble. I don’t know how many times someone drove the lane and put up some low percentage shot because they couldn’t finish. When Temple drove the lane, they finished. We consistently put up soft and bad passes. And you can see the mental frustration on the player’s faces. At one point in the second half we had 3 starters with no points.

Compare our situation with Temple, who is forcing out a successful coach who dominated the Ivy, and has done well at Temple, because the city is wondering why they aren’t Villanova.

I feel for our kids. The staff has let them down.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Exactly. That's what I just pointed out in the USF game thread. They just don't have the athleticism to finish.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

wavedomer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am Compare our situation with Temple, who is forcing out a successful coach who dominated the Ivy, and has done well at Temple, because the city is wondering why they aren’t Villanova.

I'd take Fran Dunphy at Tulane over MD in a heartbeat, but that guy is as Philly as they come. I think he would shrivel up and die if he left the 215 area code. I'd be happy to take his protege Matt Langel who has been Patriot League coach of the year two years running at Colgate. Quite an accomplishment at a small, liberal arts hockey school in the middle of nowhere.
wavedomer
Trickle

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am
wavedomer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am Compare our situation with Temple, who is forcing out a successful coach who dominated the Ivy, and has done well at Temple, because the city is wondering why they aren’t Villanova.

I'd take Fran Dunphy at Tulane over MD in a heartbeat, but that guy is as Philly as they come. I think he would shrivel up and die if he left the 215 area code. I'd be happy to take his protege Matt Langel who has been Patriot League coach of the year two years running at Colgate. Quite an accomplishment at a small, liberal arts hockey school in the middle of nowhere.
Yes. Dunphy is all about Philly.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:34 am Exactly. That's what i just pointed out in the USF game thread. They just don't have the athleticism to finish.

+1
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Colgate is every bit the academic institution that Tulane is, on a smaller scale. I'd take Langel in a heartbeat.

But I still like Larry Cordaro, and think we could get him at a reasonable price, and extend him a year or two after success at the going AAC medium coaching salary. The guy just wins. He's 143-19 in his coaching career!

Getting him at a bargain may be what Troy Dannen needs to buy out MD.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

My personal favorite for next head coach would still be Steve forbes. He has coached in the south (la tech, Texas a&m, Tennessee and now East Tennessee) is from a prestigious coaching tree and just wins (227-70 for a .764 win % as a head coach). He took East Tennessee to ncaa’s in 2017 and even this year in a rebuilding year is having a good year ( I hear he even has 2 pg’s). He was part of Bruce pearls staff that got canned for lieing to the ncaa several years ago thus the reason he’s not at a high major yet.
gbgreenie
Surge

Two more years of Dunleavy at a minimum, watch in amazement the turnaround next year, that will shut your mouths forever!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm Two more years of Dunleavy at a minimum, watch in amazement the turnaround next year, that will shut your mouths forever!!!
10 wins won't shut our mouths. And we're praying he steps down or is fired, despite the TD vote of confidence earlier this year. You might be the only person on the planet that thinks Dunleavy can be successful at the college level. By successful, I mean taking the program to the NCAA tournament, then getting to the second weekend. It's CLEARLY not happening under this coach.

Another great candidate is Kyle Blankenship, LSU-Shreveport HC. Again, I think there's at least 100 assistant coaches or lower level coaches that could have brought us AT LEAST ten wins with this roster and schedule. Dunleavy brought us 4, no more.
Wave QB
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm Two more years of Dunleavy at a minimum, watch in amazement the turnaround next year, that will shut your mouths forever!!!
He is going to have to have one hell of a year next. This was unacceptable!
Wave QB
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:33 pm My personal favorite for next head coach would still be Steve forbes. He has coached in the south (la tech, Texas a&m, Tennessee and now East Tennessee) is from a prestigious coaching tree and just wins (227-70 for a .764 win % as a head coach). He took East Tennessee to ncaa’s in 2017 and even this year in a rebuilding year is having a good year ( I hear he even has 2 pg’s). He was part of Bruce pearls staff that got canned for lieing to the ncaa several years ago thus the reason he’s not at a high major yet.

No doubt about it! Forbes is a winner. Coradaro is a winner as well. Both won’t hurt our pockets and would jump on the opportunity to coach with the big fellas.
Eaglewave
Swell

Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Nate Oats won’t be on the market long. He is waiting to get a bigger shot. Any coach who can get kids to leave Georgia, Texas and Florida to build a 92-42 record at Buffalo that includes 3 conference titles, 2 NCAA Tournament appearances in 4 years, (possibly 3 because Buffalo is currently 28-3 with the 1 seed in the MAC Tournament), can easily come to New Orleans and make us relevant again. This is another guy who knows the game.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/coac ... s?view=bio
Ball Sumrall!
oliveandblue
Surge

Eaglewave wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:39 pm Nate Oats won’t be on the market long. He is waiting to get a bigger shot. Any coach who can get kids to leave Georgia, Texas and Florida to build a 92-42 record at Buffalo that includes 3 conference titles, 2 NCAA Tournament appearances in 4 years, (possibly 3 because Buffalo is currently 28-3 with the 1 seed in the MAC Tournament), can easily come to New Orleans and make us relevant again. This is another guy who knows the game.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/coac ... s?view=bio
Buffalo is a better basketball program than Tulane. We can't pull him at this point in time.
gbgreenie
Surge

Why are you guys talking about we have no one that can finish. Cornish and Paul are going, graduating. The point guard sets up plays they need a healthy point guard no doubt. Crabtree is getting better driving so is Wood two freshmen, need to add some weight. Daniels is almost there and a point guard will free him up to drive, Sehic is coaching Wood and Crabtree on the floor once they get to where they need to he will do the things he does best. Coming together no more blow outs playing teams tight. Will show in the tournament moving forward. You will see a major difference with the new guys coming in and a healthy Embo. Just chill out, stress is not good for anyone. Relax and enjoy, no one said it was easy the end product will surprise all of you.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's been three years of successively worse basketball. The program is headed in the wrong direction, and either Dunleavy steps down or Dannen needs to fire him. Mid season vote of confidence be damned; it's been over a year since we won a conference game.

Dunleavy was hired and is paid to win games. 10 wins next year won't cut it. He's not earning a dime of his pay, and needs to be replaced.

You are what your record says you are. Our record is 4-25. At this point it's hard to figure out how we won 4 games.
oliveandblue
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:06 pm Why are you guys talking about we have no one that can finish. Cornish and Paul are going, graduating. The point guard sets up plays they need a healthy point guard no doubt. Crabtree is getting better driving so is Wood two freshmen, need to add some weight. Daniels is almost there and a point guard will free him up to drive, Sehic is coaching Wood and Crabtree on the floor once they get to where they need to he will do the things he does best. Coming together no more blow outs playing teams tight. Will show in the tournament moving forward. You will see a major difference with the new guys coming in and a healthy Embo. Just chill out, stress is not good for anyone. Relax and enjoy, no one said it was easy the end product will surprise all of you.
So what you're really saying is that Dunleavy failed to recruit a Division I basketball team in three years? This team shouldn't be one injury from implosion at year 3.
oliveandblue
Surge

BTW, a Memphis poster on AACbbs says that Andy Kennedy to Tulane is a rumor...

...I'd take it. He's a long time SEC guy that understands how to build a hoops team in the Southeast.
ajcalhoun
Swell

oliveandblue wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:17 pm BTW, a Memphis poster on AACbbs says that Andy Kennedy to Tulane is a rumor...

...I'd take it. He's a long time SEC guy that understands how to build a hoops team in the Southeast.
Hell yeah. I'll take it!
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Don’t play with my emotions with all of this Andy Kennedy talk ! I can only get so excited

Link please
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:51 pm Three years into the program and losing to #350 last RPI Alabama A&M won’t cut it. It’s time for a change.
Started this thread after Alabama A&M loss. Let’s get this hire right ! Can’t miss again.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Andy Kennedy Come on down !
jhg
Ripple

wavedomer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am I was at the Temple game on Sunday. We have nobody that can create off the dribble. I don’t know how many times someone drove the lane and put up some low percentage shot because they couldn’t finish. When Temple drove the lane, they finished. We consistently put up soft and bad passes. And you can see the mental frustration on the player’s faces. At one point in the second half we had 3 starters with no points.

Compare our situation with Temple, who is forcing out a successful coach who dominated the Ivy, and has done well at Temple, because the city is wondering why they aren’t Villanova.

idk about the city, but our fans certainly expected more out of Dunphy's teams. He has supremely underperformed, and didn't do anything to mitigate his limitations.
jhg
Ripple

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 am

I'd love to see Coach Langel at Tulane. I think he'd kill it there between the south and northeast prep schools.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This will be a very interesting hire. Do we go young (and relatively untested) with a Larry Cordaro? Do we pay up and bring in a tried an true legit D1 coach like Billy Kennedy? Would Steve Alford consider coming to the Big Easy? I hope we're going to have a HC in place in very short order, and that the roster and recruiting affects are minimal.