Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am I quit blaming coaches for the ineptness a long time ago. Tulane has to be as difficult a place to recruit basketball players as any in the country when all factors are taken into account: academics, fan base, record, tradition, and history of terrible results. Seriously, there are 200 schools in the country in basketball who would appeal to a kid before Tulane. Kids not only don’t care about academics, they are scared of them. They want to play in a nice facility in front of excited crowds with a chance to win. Heck, even schools like Creighton, Indians St, Seton Hall, and yes N. Iowa are more attractive for them.
Now think for a minute, what coach worth his salt would take this job with the total lack of interest by recruits and our own fan base? The only answer would be old guys like Dunleavy or guys who otherwise would never sniff a HC position who would take it to bank some nice dollars.
None of those issues stopped Perry Clark from quickly putting together a top 25 team. It’s always about the coach.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am Please end this waste of time we have the best coach credential wise in the history of the University and narrowly focused individuals that can't see in front their nose keep wanting to undermine every coach Dannon hires before they can establish a solid program. Dannon is giving the coaches free reign to build their programs even if it means taking a step or two back to set the stage for a solid program. Dunleavy is not going anywhere this year or next. Beyond that we all will see. So blowing this hot air about a coaching change is just that "HOT AIR"
Just one problem with your in-depth assessment—Dunleavy can’t coach college basketball. He hasn’t been able to coach it since he arrived at Tulane, and he won’t be able to coach it at any point in the future. What we are seeing right now on the court is what we will continue to see under Dunleavy. He needs to be fired now. We need a real college basketball coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am I quit blaming coaches for the ineptness a long time ago. Tulane has to be as difficult a place to recruit basketball players as any in the country when all factors are taken into account: academics, fan base, record, tradition, and history of terrible results. Seriously, there are 200 schools in the country in basketball who would appeal to a kid before Tulane. Kids not only don’t care about academics, they are scared of them. They want to play in a nice facility in front of excited crowds with a chance to win. Heck, even schools like Creighton, Indians St, Seton Hall, and yes N. Iowa are more attractive for them.
Now think for a minute, what coach worth his salt would take this job with the total lack of interest by recruits and our own fan base? The only answer would be old guys like Dunleavy or guys who otherwise would never sniff a HC position who would take it to bank some nice dollars.
Dunleavy making $1.5 million a year. I bet with that amount that there’s a coach or two that would be able to win here. Just look at these two Louisiana schools (ULL and La Tech) those jobs aren’t paying that and their situations are no better and we play in a better league (AAC) yet they seem to win consistently. Even SELA made the tournament fairly recently. I can’t blame Tulane this time. Our coach is finally well paid and needs to be held accountable because of it.
The fans and Tulane deserve better.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:41 am
gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:07 am Please end this waste of time we have the best coach credential wise in the history of the University and narrowly focused individuals that can't see in front their nose keep wanting to undermine every coach Dannon hires before they can establish a solid program. Dannon is giving the coaches free reign to build their programs even if it means taking a step or two back to set the stage for a solid program. Dunleavy is not going anywhere this year or next. Beyond that we all will see. So blowing this hot air about a coaching change is just that "HOT AIR"
I am guessing that had it been left solely to your decision, Curtis Johnson would remain as our football coach.
No, Tulane would still have Buffet Bob, as his credentials were so good, he should have been given 10 years to build a program. Similar to Dunleavy, his success came with the recruits of others (at UCLA). Similar to Dunleavy, the program was worse in year three than in year one. CJ doesn't have the pedigree that gb clings to, but what the heck, he was slowly building a program of players that couldn't stay in school and didn't win. But gbgreenie is of the Rick Dickson school, wins an losses don't measure a coach.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

I quit looking at this thread for a few days because it is a waste of time. I just thought I'd take a look and see if there was anything interesting but it's still the same stuff; the same crowd insulting each other over something that is not going to happen.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 am
I quit looking at this thread for a few days because it is a waste of time. I just thought I'd take a look and see if there was anything interesting but it's still the same stuff; the same crowd insulting each other over something that is not going to happen.
Agreed. It has literally repeated itself several times. I keep trying to push it towards actual discussion of new coaching names but people don’t seem interested in that and default back to shouting at each other.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 am
Dunleavy making $1.5 million a year. I bet with that amount that there’s a coach or two that would be able to win here. Just look at these two Louisiana schools (ULL and La Tech) those jobs aren’t paying that and their situations are no better and we play in a better league (AAC) yet they seem to win consistently. Even SELA made the tournament fairly recently. I can’t blame Tulane this time. Our coach is finally well paid and needs to be held accountable because of it.
The fans and Tulane deserve better.
Wow!! Almost $400K per victory, so far this season. Has to be the highest pay per victory in the country—by a wide margin. Maybe even record setting.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Getting back on track, I still like the two coaches mentioned earlier in this thread: The coach at LSU-A and the coach at Furman. I think either one would have more wins with this roster.
Wave QB
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am 1. Larry Caradaro
(A diamond in the rough who is looking for a chance at the big time. I know many of you might be shocked that he is at the top of my list due to his inexperience on the major level, but this kid can really coach! He reminds me of Brad Stevens. His overall coaching record is 128-18 at LSU-Alexandria in his fourth season. He took them to the post season every year so far, and was the 2017 NAIA Coach of the Year. Remember this post fellas. This kid is the real deal from the floor.)

2. Mike Davis
(A veteran coach of the game who was 115-79 at Indiana, 122-73 at UAB, and a 118-69 record at Texas Southern. At Indiana, he went to the post season 5 of 6 years that included 1 NCAA Runner Up. At UAB, he took the Blazers to the post season 4 out of 6 years and won a conference championship. At Texas Southern, Davis knocked off some major division I programs, went to the post season 5 of 6 years, and won 4 conference titles while squeezing blood from a turnip. He is currently the coach at Detroit.)

3. Kyle Keller
(A very solid defensive coach who took Stephen F Austin to the big dance last year, and has been around plenty of programs as an assistant in route to being a HC. I think he could win at Tulane.)
Bump.

I am moving Steve Alford to this list. 597-289 as an head coach. Plenty of post season apperences along with multiple conferences championships.

Caradaro is a risky hire, but he can coach his tail off. Alford would turn us into a conference contender quickly. Davis would put together great schedules for the Wave and get our boys ready to be a conference tournament contender on a regular basis. Keller would bring in one of the best classes we have seen in a long time due to his recruiting skills. He knows talent.

Any of the guys will bring some excitement to our program. I was against Conroy being replaced by Dunleavy from the beginning. Yes, Conroy has is flaws, but he coached well from the floor and brought in some solid talent. It’s really a shame that he couldn’t keep them because I believe that he would have seen the big dance had he kept them together. It’s time to send Dunleavy packing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great post, QB, way to get us back on topic! I like all of your suggestions HC wise. Could we pay Mike Davis or Steve Alford enough to have them come to New Orleans? I'd certainly hope both are on the list for TD to speak with.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 am Great post, QB, way to get us back on topic! I like all of your suggestions HC wise. Could we pay Mike Davis or Steve Alford enough to have them come to New Orleans? I'd certainly hope both are on the list for TD to speak with.
Alford is unemployed, so any ob is an upgrade..and how much fun is it to live in Detroit for gawds sake.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Conroy couldn't coach a lick at this level. It's why those players left. Dunleavy is a bad hire but that doesn't change the fact that Conroy had to go.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

Rebuilding Tulane is a long-haul proposition — the Green Wave went 20-42 in Dunleavy’s first two seasons. This season, set back by injuries, he is fielding one of the youngest teams in the country coming into the game at UConn. Tulane (4-12) lost to Memphis, 83-79, on Sunday.
“We’re very excited about our future,” he says. “We’ve got a lot of pieces we think are in place.”
Baker, meanwhile, became Quinnipiac’s head coach in 2017, starting out 12-21, but the Bobcats are gaining some traction in year two, with an 8-7 mark, after beating Fairfield by a basket Sunday. “You have the normal ups and downs with it,” he says, “but I think we’re getting better, heading in the right direction.”
For the Coaching Dunleavys, wisdom flows in both directions. Mike, who coached the Lakers in the NBA Finals in 1991, is master of the sophisticated strategies that worked in the NBA, with a proven eye for talent. Baker has more experience with the college game — the recruiting, administrating, compliance, academics.
“It was important for me,” Baker says, “because it was always tempting to go try to work for him, to try to blaze my own trail. Going to Villanova, going the college route, it was basketball but it was my way. I wanted to learn it, grind through it, come out the other side. But all along the way, he’s been an amazing resource for me in every way.”
gbgreenie
Surge

At Tulane, Dunleavy tries to get to the practice facility between 6 and 6:30 a.m. to tackle the cardio equipment in the weight room. He often supplements his workouts by shooting some hoops. He still considers himself the best shooter on campus (and beyond). He is a confident individual. He radiates self-assurance, which may be one reason he took the job.
“No player, coach or administrator will outwork him,” the associate head coach Doug Stewart said. “But the thing is, it never seems like work for him because he loves basketball. There’s a joy to what he does. And after being out of coaching for a little while, I think he really has an appreciation for it.”
gbgreenie
Surge

https://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2 ... oning.html

The three-man weave is nothing new to college basketball, but for these players, to make 10 trips up and down the floor and finish with a layup each time without letting the ball touch the floor in the span of a minute, well, that's something else.
This is how Tulane basketball measures physical conditioning on the court, by doing something Mike Dunleavy Sr. first had to do when he was an NBA rookie in 1976.
When he first arrived to coach the Green Wave in 2016, Dunleavy's players struggled to complete the 10-layup task just once. Last season, about half the team could do it twice in a row. Now, everybody can do it three times.
That's progress, say the players. The coach, however, wants more.
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 pm That's progress, say the players. The coach, however, wants more.
Me too. I would like a little more. Beating Alabama A&M would be a nice start.
VanceWGreen
Ripple

Finally some sanity on this board. Dannen has hired great coaches like Dunleavy (from the Lakers) and Jewitt (from national champion Vanderbilt) and, predictably, here come the visigoths when we don't win immediately.
Thank you gbgreenie.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Gee it's great that we can run a drill effectively, and better than we could three years ago. That and a a few dollars will give you a trolley ride down St. Charles. Unfortunately, our team has not learned the most important skill: how to win, We're losing more often than at any time in Tulane Basketball history.

Great NBA Coach? Most NBA fans would argue that point: He coached a Lakers team that he had NOTHING to do with building, and that team had Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Vlade Divac, AC Green, Sam Perkins, and Byron Scott. That team lost in the NBA Finals, his only trip to the Finals. Despite a great first season as HC of the Lakers, and later winning his first and only division title with Portland, he finished his NBA career 100 games UNDER .500. Do we have to wait until he's 100 games under .500 at Tulane before we let him go? That would probably mean he gets another year or two. We'll have less than a thousand season ticket holders by then, if we even have that many now. Seat licenses? LMFAO!

He was a big name and a splash hire when Troy Dannen made his first ever D1 basketball hire. It hasn't worked out by ANY measure you can find.
You don't get medals for trying, you get medals for RESULTS.

You are what your record says you are.
-Bill Parcells
What's Dunleavy's record at Tulane? What does that say? Basketball doesn't take 5 years to turn around. And we're much worse than we were 3 years ago.

Please, Troy, have your next coach ready to step in as soon as we exit the AAC tournament, which will either be March 14th or 15th. Better yet, Coach Dunleavy, do the right thing and step down. This is not working.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Some good posts here. Agree on many accounts. If we could get Alford he would turn the program around by the end of year 2. If it took $2m he would be worth it and would be a big splash hire for those in the basketball circles. I am not sure we could get him. And he would be gone by year 3, which is fine by me if he takes us to a tourney.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 pm https://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2 ... oning.html

The three-man weave is nothing new to college basketball, but for these players, to make 10 trips up and down the floor and finish with a layup each time without letting the ball touch the floor in the span of a minute, well, that's something else.
This is how Tulane basketball measures physical conditioning on the court, by doing something Mike Dunleavy Sr. first had to do when he was an NBA rookie in 1976.
When he first arrived to coach the Green Wave in 2016, Dunleavy's players struggled to complete the 10-layup task just once. Last season, about half the team could do it twice in a row. Now, everybody can do it three times.
That's progress, say the players. The coach, however, wants more.
I’m relieved we can run a 3-man weave, and are in better shape. But in the meantime we have no offensive scheme, we can’t attack a zone defense, we can’t play a zone defense, indivdually we can’t play defense, and each week we get schooled by any team we play. But if we can ever find a 3-man weave league, we might be successful.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I don’t believe this recruit should save MD.

How about Steve Forbes ? He has done a great job at East TN, and this year with a rebuilding job after all his seniors graduated he has them playing great again. He also coached at LA Tech for 2 years, as well as time at Texas A&M, so has experiance in the area & South.

Ole Miss considered him last year, and Forbes signed a tiny contract and extension. (650k a year, $500k buyout last year).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.midmaj ... conference

Or just offer Steve Alford $2m. Or the guy from Furman
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:51 pm I don’t believe this recruit should save MD.

How about Steve Forbes ? He has done a great job at East TN, and this year with a rebuilding job after all his seniors graduated he has them playing great again. He also coached at LA Tech for 2 years, as well as time at Texas A&M, so has experiance in the area & South.

Ole Miss considered him last year, and Forbes signed a tiny contract and extension. (650k a year, $500k buyout last year).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.midmaj ... conference

Or just offer Steve Alford $2m. Or the guy from Furman
People are absolutely crazy thinking Alford would come to Tulane. No joke 0%.
gbgreenie
Surge

Now you negative Annie's can shut up Dunleavy went and got the playmaker I said was needed for this team. His recruiting has definitely gotten the Wave in position to explode in the next two years. Watch and weep with your negativity and waste of time.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... JIkMdWxCFk
gbgreenie
Surge