Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Dunleavy.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

Should be fired for cause. Actions detrimental to the university.
Show Me
Tsunami

Easily the worst coached Tulane MBB team since the days of Dick Longo in the early 70’s. Longo was fired after two years going 20-32. A record Dunleavy would get extended on today.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Was talking with a friend who's a bigtime Temple fan. He's pissed off that their hopes as an NCAA bubble team might be sabotaged by the epic failure of Tulane. and its 298 "NET" ranking.

One of the reasons I think we lose every game other than maybe ECU is that nobody will take us for granted because losing to the Green Wave is a death blow to any post-season hopes.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm Easily the worst coached Tulane MBB team since the days of Dick Longo in the early 70’s. Longo was fired after two years going 20-32. A record Dunleavy would get extended on today.
Funny you mentioned him. He’s now about 80 years old and is running Marathons.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm Easily the worst coached Tulane MBB team since the days of Dick Longo in the early 70’s. Longo was fired after two years going 20-32. A record Dunleavy would get extended on today.
Sounds like Dick Longo was a better coach! "You are what your record says you are" Bill Parcels.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Sounds like Dick Longo was a better coach! "You are what your record says you are" Bill Parcels.
Yep, Dick was better. By season's end Dunleavy will be the worst Tulane coach (who coached more than 1 year) in Tulane history based on winning %. Sports-reference.com goes back to Shaughnessy in 1915.

He's sitting at 24-53 (.312) overall and 8-31 (.205) in conference. Being generous and giving him 4 conference wins the remainder of the year and finishing 8-23 (4-14) he would be:
28-65 (.301) - WORST EVER and 12-42 (.222) WORST EVER.

Anything less than 5 conference wins would have MD leading the way on this bottom 5 all-time list.

OUR BOTTOM 5
Record - Overall / Conference
Dunleavy 3 years from 2016-19 (as above)
Dauber 5 years from 1933-38, 27-61 (.307) / 19-54 (.260)
Danforth 5 years from 1976-81, 45-90 (.333) /15-39 (.278)
Rody 2 years from 1931-33, 14-25 (.359) / 11-23 (.324)
Pedersen 7 years from 1964-71 63-110 (.364)
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

We have to get MD to Rick Jones heart doctor.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Yep, Dick was better. By season's end Dunleavy will be the worst Tulane coach (who coached more than 1 year) in Tulane history based on winning %. Sports-reference.com goes back to Shaughnessy in 1915.

He's sitting at 24-53 (.312) overall and 8-31 (.205) in conference. Being generous and giving him 4 conference wins the remainder of the year and finishing 8-23 (4-14) he would be:
28-65 (.301) - WORST EVER and 12-42 (.222) WORST EVER.

Anything less than 5 conference wins would have MD leading the way on this bottom 5 all-time list.

OUR BOTTOM 5
Record - Overall / Conference
Dunleavy 3 years from 2016-19 (as above)
Dauber 5 years from 1933-38, 27-61 (.307) / 19-54 (.260)
Danforth 5 years from 1976-81, 45-90 (.333) /15-39 (.278)
Rody 2 years from 1931-33, 14-25 (.359) / 11-23 (.324)
Pedersen 7 years from 1964-71 63-110 (.364)
Wow that’s an eye opener for sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

It doesn't make any sense to fire Dunleavy before the season is over unless he resigns. I don't think he has a guy on his staff worthy of being interim Head. My biggest fear is that after the season Dunleavy doesn't want to quit and convinces Dannen he is one year away from turning it around.

"My point guard was injured"
"The transfer from Seton Hall is eligible and a difference maker"
"The three freshman are very talented and after the summer they should be vastly improved sophomores"
" This kid from Wisconsin is special"
"I'm recruiting some big time NBA talent"
"I'm making changes to my staff, my former teammate, Dr. J, is interested"
blah, blah, blah

Steve Alford is available, I would hire him in a nano second!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

+1,00,000

I'd do ANYTHING to get Steve Alford. That would be a serious investment in basketball as a "front porch" sport.

Dunleavy is the only mens basketball HC Troy has ever hired. I hope he has the kahunas to fire him if Mike D. doesn't step down. I wish Mike Dunleavy the best, but "you are what your record says you are.".
gbgreenie
Surge

Dunleavy is here for this year and next, get stress out waste your breaths, If you can't see the overall issues. Boy from China hyper extended elbow, Daniel injured, Embo injured, Bennet throw to the wolves because of point guard shortage, A team with no point guard is a team with no quarterback. Woods developing, Crabtree developing.
Wood-Rated a three-star recruit and the No. 5 prospect in the state of Nevada by ESPN.com…Ranked No. 224 overall in the class of 2018 by 247Sports.com.
Crabtree-Played one season under head coach Lee Martin at Hargrave Military Academy in 2017-18…Scored 705 points in 33 games…Averaged 21.4 points, 4.8 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game…Scored at least 20 points on 19 different occasions while shooting 53 percent from the field and 51 percent (119-for-233) beyond the 3-point arc
Koka-Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com… Played under head coach Chris Chavannes at The Patrick School in Hillside, N.J., that was ranked No. 10 nationally in the USA Today preseason poll and No. 6 by MaxPreps.
Zhang-Listed as a three-star recruit by ESPN.com and Rivals.com…Listed as a top-300 recruit by 247sports.com…Also received offers from UCLA, DePaul, BYU and Kansas State among others….Regarded as the best Chinese basketball prospect in America in 2018 by FloHoops..

Barrett-Played his senior season at Tech Academy in Ontario, Canada…Averaged 18 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals per game while shooting 88 percent at the free throw line and 40 percent beyond the 3-point arc, Chose Tulane over Arkansas and Michigan

When have any of you pea brains seen a Freshman class this talented sign with the Wave, quit being so impatient and watch these boys grow into super stars. You negative wining souls have your head in the sand thinking the greenies are talentless, give Dunleavy time to develop these kids.
oliveandblue
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm Dunleavy is here for this year and next, get stress out waste your breaths, If you can't see the overall issues. Boy from China hyper extended elbow, Daniel injured, Embo injured, Bennet throw to the wolves because of point guard shortage, A team with no point guard is a team with no quarterback. Woods developing, Crabtree developing.
Wood-Rated a three-star recruit and the No. 5 prospect in the state of Nevada by ESPN.com…Ranked No. 224 overall in the class of 2018 by 247Sports.com.
Crabtree-Played one season under head coach Lee Martin at Hargrave Military Academy in 2017-18…Scored 705 points in 33 games…Averaged 21.4 points, 4.8 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game…Scored at least 20 points on 19 different occasions while shooting 53 percent from the field and 51 percent (119-for-233) beyond the 3-point arc
Koka-Rated as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com… Played under head coach Chris Chavannes at The Patrick School in Hillside, N.J., that was ranked No. 10 nationally in the USA Today preseason poll and No. 6 by MaxPreps.
Zhang-Listed as a three-star recruit by ESPN.com and Rivals.com…Listed as a top-300 recruit by 247sports.com…Also received offers from UCLA, DePaul, BYU and Kansas State among others….Regarded as the best Chinese basketball prospect in America in 2018 by FloHoops..

Barrett-Played his senior season at Tech Academy in Ontario, Canada…Averaged 18 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals per game while shooting 88 percent at the free throw line and 40 percent beyond the 3-point arc, Chose Tulane over Arkansas and Michigan

When have any of you pea brains seen a Freshman class this talented sign with the Wave, quit being so impatient and watch these boys grow into super stars. You negative wining souls have your head in the sand thinking the greenies are talentless, give Dunleavy time to develop these kids.
The fact that they had talent on paper and can't beat SWAC teams is scary.

Nobody ever looks this bad - even when rebuilding with freshmen. This is a DII level team, and nobody deserves that kind of rope. The future isn't going to be good enough to justify 4-25. This freshmen class is decent, but isn't insane or even excellent.

A program with our resources should be at around 150th-170th in a down year. Your standards are too low - injured or not.
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm Dunleavy is here for this year and next, get stress out waste your breaths, If you can't see the overall issues. Boy from China hyper extended elbow, Daniel injured, Embo injured, Bennet throw to the wolves because of point guard shortage, A team with no point guard is a team with no quarterback. Woods developing, Crabtree developing.

gbgreenie, I'll be the first to apologize if things turn around and I was too quick to give up on MD. The fact is, I've been to every one of his home games and after three years, I haven't left Fogleman feeling good very many times. On paper the talent looks promising, but I want to win a game. I want to beat somebody. Alabama A&M or anybody!!

The earlier post was an eye-opener ( if we win four conference games this year, MD would still have the worst record of any Tulane coach). Rubbing salt in this wound is the fact that next year I will have a $400 seat license added to my Devlin tickets.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wow.
dpm wave
Swell

What if 1 or 2 or even 3 of these injured/developing players bolt after season's end?
anEngineer
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm

gbgreenie, I'll be the first to apologize if things turn around and I was too quick to give up on MD. The fact is, I've been to every one of his home games and after three years, I haven't left Fogleman feeling good very many times. On paper the talent looks promising, but I want to win a game. I want to beat somebody. Alabama A&M or anybody!!

The earlier post was an eye-opener ( if we win four conference games this year, MD would still have the worst record of any Tulane coach). Rubbing salt in this wound is the fact that next year I will have a $400 seat license added to my Devlin tickets.
You also haven't seen this team playing with a point guard all year. I'm upset too, but it's not insignificant to have a bunch of freshmen out there with no one running the offense at all. Even as a redshirt freshman, Barrett should be better, but he is not and there are NO OTHER OPTIONS. You can't just go get a new guy like the pros do. You can fault Dunleavy for getting into this situation, but I don't think this proves that he will or should be fired after this year. I agree that you are just wasting your breaths (not a totally unusual thing on this forum).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The view from Dunleavy's ass.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Thanks Mrs Dunleavy. Quit making excuses. Your husband is currently the worst basketball coach in Tulane history. THE WORST. He couldn’t beat Alabama A&M for Christ sakes. And you give the excuse it’s because he doesn’t have a point guard in his 3rd year? Who’s fault is that? A decent Tulane intramural team could win that one. Funny how Wil Wade right the upriver gets a top 3 recruiting class in his 2nd year on the job.. Yes you can say he bought them but that’s what losers say. Your husbands past recruits have all been projects and remain projects. Daniels is the only kid with talent and he wasn’t highly recruited so we were able to get him. If he wins 4-8 games this year and returns I’m not renewing my tickets. He’ll have to Show Me before I fund his multi-million dollar contract with a f’g seat license. Good Luck I hope he proves me wrong but I’ll sit it out until he Shows Me.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie: Calling us pea brains for wanting Dunleavy replaced shows your ignorance. He's had three years, and NONE of his recruits look anything like they're the ones to turn the program around. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and Dunleavy's record is going to put him as the worst coach in Tulane Basketball history.

I respect the man, and wish him well, but he MUST step down or be fired as soon as this season ends. We suck, and are in the bottom 10% of the 330 D1 basketball programs. Unacceptable after 3 years. Do you think a GOOD college coach would have us in this position after 3 years?
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am gbgreenie: Calling us pea brains for wanting Dunleavy replaced shows your ignorance. He's had three years, and NONE of his recruits look anything like they're the ones to turn the program around. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and Dunleavy's record is going to put him as the worst coach in Tulane Basketball history.

I respect the man, and wish him well, but he MUST step down or be fired as soon as this season ends. We suck, and are in the bottom 10% of the 330 D1 basketball programs. Unacceptable after 3 years. Do you think a GOOD college coach would have us in this position after 3 years?

I was rooting for him, but that lost to Alabama A&M, (who lost to 69-100 to Pepperdine after they beat us), really confirmed that his run here has ended. It’s time to move into a different direction. Letting coaches continue to get punched in the head results in brain damage to the program’s success.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbg: Calling him "boy from China" is extremely politically incorrect, and some would say racist. He's played basketball in the US for a few years, and yes, he's Chinese, but his name is Zhang.

And he's not going to save Dunleavy's job. Bringing back Dunleavy could cost Troy Dannen his job. I, too, want Dunleavy to succeed, and was very optimistic when he was hired. But clearly it is not working out and a change must be made.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am gbgreenie: Calling us pea brains for wanting Dunleavy replaced shows your ignorance. He's had three years, and NONE of his recruits look anything like they're the ones to turn the program around. YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE and Dunleavy's record is going to put him as the worst coach in Tulane Basketball history.

+1,000 No way we can keep MD. If we keep him, there could be a mass exodus of players transferring elsewhere. The frustration isn't just with the fans. Most our players probably feel very much like we do, and wondering what MD is doing, or more accurately what is he not doing. In the meantime, the program's free fall continues. I will be very surprised if we win another game this year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
anEngineer
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:46 pm

+1,000 No way we can keep MD. If we keep him, there could be a mass exodus of players transferring elsewhere. The frustration isn't just with the fans. Most our players probably feel very much like we do, and wondering what MD is doing, or more accurately what is he not doing. In the meantime, the program's free fall continues. I will be very surprised if we win another game this year.
"Most our players probably feel very much like we do"? Probably? How would you propose to know that? You mean the freshmen that he just recruited and are playing double digit minutes in every game? I'm sure they are frustrated with losing but how can you blame the coach when you are the actual person missing the shot or losing your man on defense or throwing the ball to the other team? Who would you worry about losing, the players you complain about as being inferior? This team has 4 players who are upper classmen: Cornish, Paul, Sehic and Ona Embo. One doesn't play at all, one plays very little until he fouls out and the other two contribute something. These young players have it made as far as playing time.

How many programs do you think only have 4 upper classmen on the entire team? If they do, they aren't winning either. Maybe Dunleavy ran the dead weight out of here too soon. I don't think so, but you can't have it both ways by saying we had inadequate players before MD got here and blame him for getting rid of them. I continue to say MD will not be fired, but I don't think the current players are too worried about their situation here at all.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 am

The view from Dunleavy's ass.

I thought it was from the front of his pants.
Ball Sumrall!