Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 pm I am telling you guys, this kid is the next Brad Stevens.

http://www.lsuagenerals.com/SIDHelp/m/0 ... rdaro|.php
Sign this young , successful, coach now before another university does .Similar task, building virtually from scratch.. and he is up to the challenge we face ....

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:09 pm The Furman coach was born in New Orleans, according to his wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Richey
I still think this guy would be the best hire, if he would come here. Yes, above the LSUA coach who's never coached above the NAIA level. I don't think that coach is a bad coach, just a riskier hire.

I sure hope Troy D. has a short list and both of them are on it!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 am
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am
And it seems unlikely to me that Dunleavy will be fired or resign this year.
Why not? If he has one of the worst seasons in Tulane basketball history, and the team is clearly worse than it was 3 years ago upon his arrival, he deserves to be fired if he doesn't step down.

Dannen has preached success and accountability. Letting a coach continue after 3 years where the best season saw his team go 5-13 in conference play, would undermine Dannen's credibility. Basketball matters a whole lot and we're one of the worst teams of the 300+ competing at the D1 level.
For one thing, who's going to pick up the contract buy out? You? I'm sure any of the people on this blog who want Dunleavy fired could call Dannen tomorrow and tell him they are fully funding this. Just spouting this stuff on a blog is easy; being able to actually do it financially is a totally different deal.
puffy
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:09 pm The Furman coach was born in New Orleans, according to his wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Richey
I still think this guy would be the best hire, if he would come here. Yes, above the LSUA coach who's never coached above the NAIA level. I don't think that coach is a bad coach, just a riskier hire.

Richey first 7 years or so were spent in NOLA, though he considers himself a native of South Carolina ever since his father moved there for medical residency following completion of his medical school at Tulane.

So on the one hand, there's both a New Orleans and Tulane connection. OTOH, he has spent the last 28+ years in SC, and his wife is also from the state.

https://www.ngu.edu/alumnus-bob-richey- ... -coach.php
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 pm
Why not? If he has one of the worst seasons in Tulane basketball history, and the team is clearly worse than it was 3 years ago upon his arrival, he deserves to be fired if he doesn't step down.

Dannen has preached success and accountability. Letting a coach continue after 3 years where the best season saw his team go 5-13 in conference play, would undermine Dannen's credibility. Basketball matters a whole lot and we're one of the worst teams of the 300+ competing at the D1 level.
For one thing, who's going to pick up the contract buy out? You? I'm sure any of the people on this blog who want Dunleavy fired could call Dannen tomorrow and tell him they are fully funding this. Just spouting this stuff on a blog is easy; being able to actually do it financially is a totally different deal.
The same person responsible for giving him a big guarantee. If MD wins less than 10 games he needs to go at any cost. Keeping him around will guarantee no season ticket renewals with that ridiculous seat license crap. It obvious he doesn’t know what he’s doing at this level.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dannen said this was an NIT year for us and next year was an NCAA year. Not gonna happen. He needs to do his job and make a change.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 pm

I definitely hear your point and yes, he would be a riskier hire. No doubt about it. However, we can’t go anywhere but up after losing to Alabama A&M. I would pick LSU Alexandria to beat those guys by 15. I would take either guy as I think both would be able to find some good talent to bring here. However, I do think I would send the first offer to Cordaro. After watching some clips and footage on both guys, I like Cordaro’s style of coaching a bit better for us. Swinging the ball & attacking the boards on offense along with a solid zone trapping defense is what we need in my opinion. (I know basketball, but I just can’t wrap my brain around what Dunleavy is trying to do here.)

NAIA or not, this guy has a pretty impressive record as a head coach at any level. I think he could be the new kid on the block at this level. He seems like a “die hard Louisiana” guy, who coaches with some state passion. He really built a NAIA powerhouse in a short period of time in a area loaded with talent. I think he could get some serious young hype around our program.

Looking at Wave QB’s list, I like Mike Davis of Detroit the best as far as division I experience. He has had some great seasons at Indiana, UAB and Texas Southern.

What do you think about Mike Davis?
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 pm Dannen said this was an NIT year for us and next year was an NCAA year. Not gonna happen. He needs to do his job and make a change.
You are right Winwave. Ain’t no F’n way we are going to the NIT.
Ball Sumrall!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don’t really understand your point. So when coaches were fired in the past, not just TU but any school, some outsider always picked up the tab?

Oh BTW, over $25mm has been dumped into Bball facilities, pretty sure TU has to show some sort of ROI. Could be wrong
anEngineer
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 am

I don’t really understand your point. So when coaches were fired in the past, not just TU but any school, some outsider always picked up the tab?

Oh BTW, over $25mm has been dumped into Bball facilities, pretty sure TU has to show some sort of ROI. Could be wrong
The point is that the money would have to be paid somehow. At big-money-doner schools, a doner will sometimes tell the AD that he will fund the buyout if they just get rid of whoever. At a school like Tulane, they don't just have a few million dollars sitting around to get rid of coaches that bloggers demand be fired. It's just reality. It's not a question of should Dunleavy be let go, it's a question of can Tulane afford to do this before the contract is farther along. The answer is probably "No" and Dunleavy will get at least another year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

To my understanding, Dunleavy signed a 5 year deal. That doesn't mean his firing entitles him to full payment of the last two years. At some point, facing historical failure, an organization of ANY kind needs to cut its' losses. That time is coming quickly, as in the next month or two with Tulane and Dunleavy.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Kind of funny to me that Associate Head Coach Stewart just "liked" this tweet, as nothing could be farther from the current play of the Green Wave than the 1990s Princeton Offense:

(
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 pm Dannen said this was an NIT year for us and next year was an NCAA year. Not gonna happen. He needs to do his job and make a change.
I don't remember TD giving these projections but by saying this it either:

1. worries me greatly as there is no way in hell this year's team was going to have a winning record. If TD really believed that we'd be an NIT team then he's delusional. While losing to Alabama A&M sinks us to new lows, this team was not going to be as good as last year's disappointing team.

OR

2. provides some hope as TD saw the handwriting on the wall after season 2 and was prepared to give MD one more season to prove himself by laying down an expectation that was based on a 3-year plan and not based on the reality of what this year's team likely would achieve. Thus, providing an easy justification for termination.

So the question is was his projection delusional or strategic? It may not matter as it relates to firing MD, but would be nice to know we've got someone in charge that didn't really think this team was post-season bound.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Dannen did not predict Tulane would make the NIT. The statement he made was in the context of questions about the schedule and what he said was that the (weaker) non-conference schedule was reflective of the awareness that the team would, at best, be competing to make the NIT, and that next year the team would have an OOC schedule that would make the NCAAs a possibility.

I thought at the time it was a realistic statement, though the subsequent faceplant by MD and his team has exposed the whole thing as a bad joke.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Looking for proof that crazy sports ideas are not confined to gotula.net? Here ya go:

Bill Walton Suggests that UCLA should look to former president Barrack Obama as next basketball coach
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... =editorial
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pels clean house of Demps and gang. MD hired as Pels GM Tulane off the hook for his salary. Dunleavy and family stay in NOLA. MD would be an excellent NBA GM convinces AD to stay a Pel. TD goes out and finds the next up & coming coach for the Wave.
Everyone wins.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am Dannen did not predict Tulane would make the NIT. The statement he made was in the context of questions about the schedule and what he said was that the (weaker) non-conference schedule was reflective of the awareness that the team would, at best, be competing to make the NIT, and that next year the team would have an OOC schedule that would make the NCAAs a possibility.

I thought at the time it was a realistic statement, though the subsequent faceplant by MD and his team has exposed the whole thing as a bad joke.
if "competing to make" doesn't mean "goal is to make" or "is an NIT-caliber team" then what did he mean? Sure it's not a prediction but it sure is an expectation. Otherwise, TD should call it a rebuilding year or else he's lying or he's delusional.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am Pels clean house of Demps and gang. MD hired as Pels GM Tulane off the hook for his salary. Dunleavy and family stay in NOLA. MD would be an excellent NBA GM convinces AD to stay a Pel. TD goes out and finds the next up & coming coach for the Wave.
Everyone wins.
That would be a win=win=win. But I think he's blackballed in the NBA due to too many lawsuits against former employers. Right or wrong, the fraternity of owners doesn't like that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:03 am Looking for proof that crazy sports ideas are not confined to gotula.net? Here ya go:

Bill Walton Suggests that UCLA should look to former president Barrack Obama as next basketball coach
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... =editorial
That's in keeping with Walton's other space cadet ideas, that he's had throughout his life.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:52 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 am

The point is that the money would have to be paid somehow. At big-money-doner schools, a doner will sometimes tell the AD that he will fund the buyout if they just get rid of whoever. At a school like Tulane, they don't just have a few million dollars sitting around to get rid of coaches that bloggers demand be fired. It's just reality. It's not a question of should Dunleavy be let go, it's a question of can Tulane afford to do this before the contract is farther along. The answer is probably "No" and Dunleavy will get at least another year.
If we can’t afford to fire a coach after his 3rd year, then we probably should have made a hire that wasn’t so risky.
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am Pels clean house of Demps and gang. MD hired as Pels GM Tulane off the hook for his salary. Dunleavy and family stay in NOLA. MD would be an excellent NBA GM convinces AD to stay a Pel. TD goes out and finds the next up & coming coach for the Wave.
Everyone wins.
Christ himself couldn’t convince AD to stay in NOLA.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Everyone wins.
How could you wish that on the Pels? They have enough problems.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am
WavyHoops wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am Dannen did not predict Tulane would make the NIT. The statement he made was in the context of questions about the schedule and what he said was that the (weaker) non-conference schedule was reflective of the awareness that the team would, at best, be competing to make the NIT, and that next year the team would have an OOC schedule that would make the NCAAs a possibility.

if "competing to make" doesn't mean "goal is to make" or "is an NIT-caliber team" then what did he mean? Sure it's not a prediction but it sure is an expectation. Otherwise, TD should call it a rebuilding year or else he's lying or he's delusional.
Yep.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 pm
Everyone wins.
Christ himself couldn’t convince AD to stay in NOLA.
Yea. Can’t argue with that. :oops:
One can only dream. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm
Everyone wins.
How could you wish that on the Pels? They have enough problems.
Tough crowd here.
Tulane Class of 1981