Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
greenphantom
Swell

Ned Fowler

Sunamiwave
High Tide

Since we have mostly been talking about old retread coaches how about we hire one of the former UNO coaches such as Benny Dees, Art Tolis, Tic Price, or Tim Floyd? Alternatively, why not hire Rick Pitino before he leaves for the new job he recently took in Greece and we can become the next UNLV when they had Jerry Tarkanian.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:12 pm Since we have mostly been talking about old retread coaches how about we hire one of the former UNO coaches such as Benny Dees, Art Tolis, Tic Price, or Tim Floyd? Alternatively, why not hire Rick Pitino before he leaves for the new job he recently took in Greece and we can become the next UNLV when they had Jerry Tarkanian.
I personally vote for Beryl Shippley......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:12 pm Since we have mostly been talking about old retread coaches how about we hire one of the former UNO coaches such as Benny Dees, Art Tolis, Tic Price, or Tim Floyd? Alternatively, why not hire Rick Pitino before he leaves for the new job he recently took in Greece and we can become the next UNLV when they had Jerry Tarkanian.
Art Tolis passed away but he probably could inject more life in this team than MD.
Show Me
Tsunami

Dunleavy’s son.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:01 pm Dunleavy’s son.
I'm not sure if you are serious or sarcastic, but I actually thought about this scenario: Dunleavy hires his son and makes him head-coach-in-waiting. Only he's not waiting. He's in full control of basketball operations. Dunleavy is spared the embarassment of being fired. There's such a low bar, if the team does anything in regular season play, Dunleavy II looks like a genius. Troy Dannen saves face. Everyone gets a 'softer' landing.

The downside? What if Dunleavy II only wins 1 or 2 conference games. There would still be great pressure to fire the entire staff at the end of the season.

There are not a lot of good options here.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 pm
I'm not sure if you are serious or sarcastic, but I actually thought about this scenario: Dunleavy hires his son and makes him head-coach-in-waiting. Only he's not waiting. He's in full control of basketball operations. Dunleavy is spared the embarassment of being fired. There's such a low bar, if the team does anything in regular season play, Dunleavy II looks like a genius. Troy Dannen saves face. Everyone gets a 'softer' landing.

The downside? What if Dunleavy II only wins 1 or 2 conference games. There would still be great pressure to fire the entire staff at the end of the season.

Serious. You’ve actually expressed very well why it could end up good for all involved.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:30 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Serious. You’ve actually expressed very well why it could end up good for all involved.
Except for Baker Dunleavy has a job that he's not going to quit at this point in the season. He's head coach at Quinipiac University (and they're not all that happy with his results, either!)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

Stupid post Dunlevey is not going anywhere, turned two average players to NBA players last season. You are probably the same negatives doe doe's that wanted Fritz fired. Get a life and try to understand winning and losing, building programs for the long term and they will always have bumps in the road. None of the coaches you named could be a pimple on Dunlevy's butt!!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:41 am Stupid post Dunlevey is not going anywhere, turned two average players to NBA players last season. You are probably the same negatives doe doe's that wanted Fritz fired. Get a life and try to understand winning and losing, building programs for the long term and they will always have bumps in the road. None of the coaches you named could be a pimple on Dunlevy's butt!!!
So, I guess wins and losses don't mean anything in basketball? A coach that has obviously been out-coached in almost every game, doesn't show that he understands the college game, but put two guys onto practice squads of NBA rosters should be given a lifetime appointment? Check your stats, and then get a life. Basketball has not gotten better under Dunleavy, it's gotten worse, and looks to be one of the worst basketball teams in Tulane history.

Wins and losses are how you measure any team in a sport that they keep score.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

1. Larry Caradaro
(A diamond in the rough who is looking for a chance at the big time. I know many of you might be shocked that he is at the top of my list due to his inexperience on the major level, but this kid can really coach! He reminds me of Brad Stevens. His overall coaching record is 128-18 at LSU-Alexandria in his fourth season. He took them to the post season every year so far, and was the 2017 NAIA Coach of the Year. Remember this post fellas. This kid is the real deal from the floor.)

2. Mike Davis
(A veteran coach of the game who was 115-79 at Indiana, 122-73 at UAB, and a 118-69 record at Texas Southern. At Indiana, he went to the post season 5 of 6 years that included 1 NCAA Runner Up. At UAB, he took the Blazers to the post season 4 out of 6 years and won a conference championship. At Texas Southern, Davis knocked off some major division I programs, went to the post season 5 of 6 years, and won 4 conference titles while squeezing blood from a turnip. He is currently the coach at Detroit.)

3. Kyle Keller
(A very solid defensive coach who took Stephen F Austin to the big dance last year, and has been around plenty of programs as an assistant in route to being a HC. I think he could win at Tulane.)
Wave QB
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:41 am Stupid post Dunlevey is not going anywhere, turned two average players to NBA players last season. You are probably the same negatives doe doe's that wanted Fritz fired. Get a life and try to understand winning and losing, building programs for the long term and they will always have bumps in the road. None of the coaches you named could be a pimple on Dunlevy's butt!!!
Alabama A&M’s coach, (who is 2-0 vs him), could be more than a pimple.
netshorty
Surge

It is very scary to think that anyone has this point of view after watching 2.5 seasons of this garbage. I surely hope TD doesn't have this same myopic view.

Even if you subscribe to the opinion that Dunleavy was responsible for getting two players to the NBA, it means he's a good personal trainer/coach. It does not necessarily mean he's a good team coach or good recruiter.

I get that he's got a ton of coaching experience at the highest level. And that he's had success at the highest level. I'm sure he knows more basketball is in pinky finger than I know. But he is doing a terrible job at winning, recruiting and showing any measurable improvement compared to the other recent failed coaches.
ccap05
Surge

Has Dunleavy given any indication that he might just retire?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:44 am
So, I guess wins and losses don't mean anything in basketball? A coach that has obviously been out-coached in almost every game, doesn't show that he understands the college game, but put two guys onto practice squads of NBA rosters should be given a lifetime appointment? Check your stats, and then get a life. Basketball has not gotten better under Dunleavy, it's gotten worse, and looks to be one of the worst basketball teams in Tulane history.

Wins and losses are how you measure any team in a sport that they keep score.
Right. It's even true at Tulane now that RD is gone.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:52 am
It is very scary to think that anyone has this point of view after watching 2.5 seasons of this garbage. I surely hope TD doesn't have this same myopic view.

Even if you subscribe to the opinion that Dunleavy was responsible for getting two players to the NBA, it means he's a good personal trainer/coach. It does not necessarily mean he's a good team coach or good recruiter.

I get that he's got a ton of coaching experience at the highest level. And that he's had success at the highest level. I'm sure he knows more basketball is in pinky finger than I know. But he is doing a terrible job at winning, recruiting and showing any measurable improvement compared to the other recent failed coaches.
+1. Individual development is one thing. Coaching the team successfully is a whole nother.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

How about Danny Kaspar? Texas State is having a good year.

https://txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wavetime wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:57 am How about Danny Kaspar? Texas State is having a good year.

https://txstatebobcats.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball
He’s definitely a winner, but I think we can shoot a little higher. The coach from northern Iowa Jacobson (although they are having a down year), King rice from Monmouth ? Uvm’s coach John Becker ? Steve Forbes East Tennessee?
WavyHoops
High Tide

Gotta walk before we can run. It was a nice dream that MD would magically attract future NBA talent but the reality is that the 4 and 5 star players aren't coming here any time soon and Dunleavy has no history of "coaching up" a team of 2 and 3 star players. I'm not sure whether Tulane is better off with him getting canned now or after the season but either way he's got to go.

I'm a big fan of head coaches who have had success at programs that were not historically powerhouses in their conferences with schools having standards comparable to Tulane.

One that comes to mind is James Jones at Yale, who has pulled the Bulldogs into prominence in the Ivy League and good OOC performances against a much tougher schedule than Tulane plays, despite generations of Penn and Princeton dominance, yet without the resources and "flexibility" that Tommy Amakar has had at Harvard. Others are Matt Langel at Colgate (a former Temple assistant) and John Becker at UVM.,
anEngineer
Riptide

Trying to play a bunch of freshmen without a legitimate point guard certainly has disaster written all over it, and it has been. It's hard to imagine how they could have been so wrong about the extent of Ona Embo's injury, although there's not much they could have done anyway. Cornish was probably never capable of playing point at his best, and he has been terrible. Barrett may be good at some point, but it's not now. That being said, I really don't see Tulane firing Dunleavy this year. He may chose to leave on his own, but I just don't see them cutting him loose after 3 years whether he deserves it or not.
WavyHoops
High Tide

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm Trying to play a bunch of freshmen without a legitimate point guard certainly has disaster written all over it, and it has been. It's hard to imagine how they could have been so wrong about the extent of Ona Embo's injury, although there's not much they could have done anyway. Cornish was probably never capable of playing point at his best, and he has been terrible. Barrett may be good at some point, but it's not now. That being said, I really don't see Tulane firing Dunleavy this year. He may chose to leave on his own, but I just don't see them cutting him loose after 3 years whether he deserves it or not.
Those are good excuses for a rough AAC season but Tulane should be deep and cohesive enough to beat Towson, Alabama A&M, etc.

The Green Wave have 4 AAC games from Jan 2-13 and then a bit of a break until their game on the 19th at UConn. If the team doesn't respond and goes 0-4, I'd be surprised if MD makes the trip to Storrs.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

It makes me sick to my stomach that the clowns Dickson and Cowen could have built a new multi-purpose basketball arena plus an indoor practice facility and a football ops center for the price they spent on the football stadium. If we were really serious about getting into a Power Five conference that would have been the way to go while continuing to play our football games in the Superdome. Also, we only have six home football games each year while the basketball arena would have had numerous men’s and women’s basketball games plus it could have been rented out for concerts and numerous special events in which the Smoothie King Center is too large for. Just one of many monumental and costly mistakes that the Tulane administration has made over the decades.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:11 am Gotta walk before we can run. It was a nice dream that MD would magically attract future NBA talent but the reality is that the 4 and 5 star players aren't coming here any time soon and Dunleavy has no history of "coaching up" a team of 2 and 3 star players. I'm not sure whether Tulane is better off with him getting canned now or after the season but either way he's got to go.

I'm a big fan of head coaches who have had success at programs that were not historically powerhouses in their conferences with schools having standards comparable to Tulane.

One that comes to mind is James Jones at Yale, who has pulled the Bulldogs into prominence in the Ivy League and good OOC performances against a much tougher schedule than Tulane plays, despite generations of Penn and Princeton dominance, yet without the resources and "flexibility" that Tommy Amakar has had at Harvard. Others are Matt Langel at Colgate (a former Temple assistant) and John Becker at UVM.,
James Jones wouldn’t be terrible. I tend to agree with your analysis about non powerhouses who traditionally have a tough time recruiting. . . Tulane should be a cake walk compared to Yale. Also I mention John Becker in the post directly above yours.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:38 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:11 am Gotta walk before we can run. It was a nice dream that MD would magically attract future NBA talent but the reality is that the 4 and 5 star players aren't coming here any time soon and Dunleavy has no history of "coaching up" a team of 2 and 3 star players. I'm not sure whether Tulane is better off with him getting canned now or after the season but either way he's got to go.

James Jones wouldn’t be terrible. I tend to agree with your analysis about non powerhouses who traditionally have a tough time recruiting. . . Tulane should be a cake walk compared to Yale. Also I mention John Becker in the post directly above yours.
So I see. Two others I wonder about are Carmody at Holy Cross and Donahue at Penn. Both had prior success at the Mid-Major level, then didn't quite make it at a higher level (Princeton; Northwestern and Cornell; BC), but now are back on top. Is this their top level or are they older and wiser? I haven't seen Holy Cross play this season but Penn has been very impressive (wins vs Miami, Villanova and New Mexico).
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Remember that at this point this conference is not considered to be just a mid-major.