Dunleavy Dumpster fire continues Wave falls to win less Alabama A&M 67-59

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
swampnik
Surge

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:35 pm Something is rotten in the locker room. The team is getting much worse as the season goes on

Your two year starting center doesn’t even see the court. I wonder if Paul mouthed off.
TU seems to lose momentum very easily at inoppurtune times: (TGW site): Trailing 48-42 after a trey by the Bulldogs, Tulane raced out on a 13-0 run scoring run that began with consecutive baskets by Daniels and was highlighted by a pair of thunderous two-handed dunks by Koka to push the Olive and Blue back in front, 55-48 with 9:22 left.

Alabama A&M fought back however, ending the run with a 3-pointer that ignited an 11-0 run to give the Bulldogs the lead once again, 59-55, with just under four minutes remaining.

Those 11 consecutive points were the start of a 19-4 run by Alabama A&M who closed out the eight-point triumph for its first victory of the season.

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 am
GreenLantern wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm In the post-game interview, Coach Dunleavy seemed devoid of any emotion. I would like to hear him go a little 'Jim Mora' and express something. Anger. Frustration. Embarassment. Something.
This might be a good thing that MD showed little emotion at the presser. We
saw the same emotionless Fritz answer questions after TU was at 2-5 and then a total turnaround of attitude for all following games and huge win streak and Bowl game. Yes, BB is not FB but conference is starting so "tabula raza" for CMD could become good juju going forward?
Bad comparison . The fact is Willie was no different in those press conferences where some were claiming he had given up when in fact he was the same as he was in every press conference since he got here. I've watched everyone WF has had since he's been here. He was no different which is one of his best qualities. As to MD I rarely listen to his post game pressers so I can't say if he's any different or not. But Wililie was the same all along.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

We are now ranked 314 out of 353.D1 programs in the latest RPI. East Carolina is actually ranked lower so maybe a chance for a 5 win season this year...Good news for MD is that he is once again lowering the bar for us to measure improvement for next year, just like he did in year 1.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I actually think this thread is giving "dumpster fires" a bad rep, they deserve better !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

It’s been years since the basketball season has been over this soon. Wow.
Wave QB
Swell

Are we the worst division I program in Louisiana?
netshorty
Surge

Wave QB wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:46 pm Are we the worst division I program in Louisiana?
Southern {0-11) has RPI of 348. we'd be favored by just a few points. All other D1 La programs are rated higher. And based on head-to-head I'd say we're slated correctly as only marginally better than a winless Southern team. Though I bet Southern would love the chance to prove that wrong.
ccap05
Surge

We need a new coach. We would be better off with an immediate announcement even though it will mean an interim coach and another crud year of recruiting.
Wave QB
Swell

netshorty wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:15 am
Wave QB wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:46 pm Are we the worst division I program in Louisiana?
Southern {0-11) has RPI of 348. we'd be favored by just a few points. All other D1 La programs are rated higher. And based on head-to-head I'd say we're slated correctly as only marginally better than a winless Southern team. Though I bet Southern would love the chance to prove that wrong.
Damn. I just looked at Southern’s schedule and they are 1-11. I would bet on us having the same record if we played their non conference schedule. They have already seen Alabama, Baylor, Louisville, George Mason, South Dakota State, and Iowa State. They play Marquette Friday. You are right, I guess they would love the chance to debate who is the worst in the state
Green Wave
Swell

Conroy is looking like a bloody genius right about now.

Time for a change. Thanks Coach but it is time to retire. :oops:
ROLL WAVE!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ccap05 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:56 am We need a new coach. We would be better off with an immediate announcement even though it will mean an interim coach and another crud year of recruiting.
+1,000. It’s a zombie program—going through the motions, but completely lifeless. Let’s acknowledge the severity of the problem. Any interim action would be better than trying to maintain the charade that this is an actual D1 program—it’s not.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ed sez Tulane basketball needs to be rescued:

https://crescentcitysports.com/tulane-m ... -of-rescue
Ed Daniels wrote:In basketball, Tulane University should not be below average or just average.

It’s time for someone in charge to find the answer to a pair of real Olive and Blue questions.

Why aren’t we better in basketball? What will it take to fix it?
nawlinspete
Riptide

And , Daniel's wrote , instead of spending 80MM on a stadium that was not needed we could have built a quality basketball arena on the footprint of yulman and razed Tulane Gym / fogelman/Devlin and have subsequently been MM ahead for quality BB coaches and attractive salaries to hire them with and to.recruit with .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:03 pm Ed sez Tulane basketball needs to be rescued:

Ed Daniels wrote:In basketball, Tulane University should not be below average or just average.

It’s time for someone in charge to find the answer to a pair of real Olive and Blue questions.

I once again feel like I have lost brain cells by reading what passes as “sports journalism”. While the overall sentiment of the article is correct, that was an absolute waste of 2 minutes of my time.

Conroy was garbage. There are very few teams outside of the blue bloods that could lose two players to the nba (and nba camps) and still be competitive. We knew this year was going to be rough. HOWEVER- These last two losses I do believe are worthy of showing Dunleavy the exit.

I do agree we will need a new arena . . . When we sell this one out consistnantly. I also agree we should be above average in basketball and making the tourney 1-2 times every 5 years.

One glimmer of hope- We do have the best recruit in more then a decade coming next year who named the player of the year in Wisconsin.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:57 pm

I once again feel like I have lost brain cells by reading what passes as “sports journalism”. While the overall sentiment of the article is correct, that was an absolute waste of 2 minutes of my time.

Conroy was garbage. There are very few teams outside of the blue bloods that could lose two players to the nba (and nba camps) and still be competitive. We knew this year was going to be rough. HOWEVER- These last two losses I do believe are worthy of showing Dunleavy the exit.

I do agree we will need a new arena . . . When we sell this one out consistnantly. I also agree we should be above average in basketball and making the tourney 1-2 times every 5 years.

One glimmer of hope- We do have the best recruit in more then a decade coming next year who named the player of the year in Wisconsin.
Not to mention that it would be the rare Tulane home football game that would make the SuperDome look anything but cavernous.

If Tulane can leverage this year's football success and excitment into a regular occurence, Yulman could become a very formidalbe place to play for opponents with its compact footprint and close crowds.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:03 pm Ed sez Tulane basketball needs to be rescued:

On the flip side, when MD had the two NBA caliber players, he went a remarkable 14-17 (5-13) in a league that was down.
netshorty
Surge

on the two items above, how is it acceptable to expect a down year the year after you have a miserable in-conference record? A down year from two previous down years? I don't get how the last 2 losses have suddenly opened everyone's eyes. He's been trending in this direction since day 1.

I really hope this recruit isn't a selling point to retaining MD. I'm sure we'll lose the recruit if MD goes.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:56 pm
On the flip side, when MD had the two NBA caliber players, he went a remarkable 14-17 (5-13) in a league that was down.
I was thinking that same thing. Dunleavy couldn’t win with NBA talent. Conroy recruited well. Much better than Dunleavy has so far. Coaching was suspect but he recruited well. Dunleavy is another Bob Toledo at this point. Collecting a big fat check and putting no skins on the wall. You can see the progress Willie Fritz has accomplished. You can’t see that in our MBB program over the same time frame. And basketball is 100 times easier to turn around vs FB.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:47 pm And , Daniel's wrote , instead of spending 80MM on a stadium that was not needed we could have built a quality basketball arena on the footprint of yulman and razed Tulane Gym / fogelman/Devlin and have subsequently been MM ahead for quality BB coaches and attractive salaries to hire them with and to.recruit with .
Ed's got a good point but he's a little bit off location wise. The fact is SC/RD were looking to build a new arena with the practice facility in it on the Rosen lot site. When they got the price tag of $ 5o million the two idiots were shocked and said we could build a football stadium for that and that's how we got Yulman. It ended up costing close to $90 million when all was said and done. For that money we could have had the arena/practice facility for basketball and the football ops. and indoor facility where Yulman is. Now both programs are screwed facility wise. Tulane has a limited number of big money donors so the chances of getting those things done is not likely any tome soon.

As for those that say every time this comes up well we just need to wait anyway till we fill what we have. That's RD/SC type thinking. We aren't getting the type of players we need to raise these programs to the levels they should be at in large part because of our lack of facilities. So these issues can't continue to be ignored.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility. Maybe a better salesman than Rick Dickson could have convinced him otherwise, but it was the donor's money and the donor got to decide where it was going to go.
God Bless Everyone!
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Yulman’s name would have gone on a new multi-purpose basketball arena if that’s what Cowen and Dickson had pushed for instead of the football stadium. I don’t believe Yulman had any issues whatsoever with making a major donation towards a new basketball arena if that’s what Tulane had wanted.
ajcalhoun
Swell

A basketball arena, yes, but not a football practice facility, as many on this board would have preferred for his money.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 pm Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility. Maybe a better salesman than Rick Dickson could have convinced him otherwise, but it was the donor's money and the donor got to decide where it was going to go.
He was never given the choice. RD never sought to build the football ops. and IPF. He went straight from Basketball Arena/ Practice Facility to football stadium.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:44 am
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:40 pm Yulman wanted his name on a football stadium, not a practice facility. Maybe a better salesman than Rick Dickson could have convinced him otherwise, but it was the donor's money and the donor got to decide where it was going to go.
He was never given the choice. RD never sought to build the football ops. and IPF. He went straight from Basketball Arena/ Practice Facility to football stadium.
I heard what AJC heard: That Cow/Dick wanted to build a football ops/basketball arena and the donor's wanted an OCS. The biggest mistake was caving the the NIMBY's. If we had a second deck around the stadium, it would look a whole lot better and been a formidable advantage with so many seats so close to the field. Instead we have the eyesore of the NIMBY side (which seats more than the Glazer side of the field, but looks bad.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:57 am
winwave wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:44 am
I heard what AJC heard: That Cow/Dick wanted to build a football ops/basketball arena and the donor's wanted an OCS. The biggest mistake was caving the the NIMBY's. If we had a second deck around the stadium, it would look a whole lot better and been a formidable advantage with so many seats so close to the field. Instead we have the eyesore of the NIMBY side (which seats more than the Glazer side of the field, but looks bad.)
Yulman’s lopsided design looks bizarre and amateurish. It’s a great stadium for watching a game, but really needs an upper deck on the west side—such seats would also have great views of the field. But it’s unkikely we’ll see any such expansion until we regularly fill the current Yulman. Dannen is hoping to use seat scarcity as leverage for increasing TAF donations, seat licenses, and seat prices. Adding 10,000 seats now would greatly dilute that leverage.. Only winning can solve this dilemma.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana