QB's of the past (favs, follies, wasted potential, etc.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
swampnik
Surge

I thought it might be fun to share our thoughts on some categories of past QB's who've worn the Olive and Blue for old Tulane:

Personal fav of all time: Bobby Duhon (Gridweek Mag listed him in 1967 as perhaps No. 1 in USA) He did not disappoint with the Giants at RB either.

Worst QB who actually saw a good bit of playing field: Scott Elliot

Most wasted potential: Derrrick Joseph, came highly rated out of HS and had great skills a running QB but never got a real shot at leading the show in his 4 years outside of running back some punts?

Too little, too late: "Jordy" , CJ always glowed about his play making skills in practice and when CJ finally called his number for the last 1-2 games his last year it was like, DAMN, we should have put him in earlier in the season.

Biggest heart: Anthony Scelfo, nothing but guts and courage from him tamed those Tiger fans for one half in the last time that LSU/TU played the Dome. On top of that a very good baseball player.
"

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

When I was a kid growing up Bobby Duhon and Steve Foley were my favorites. Later Roch Hontas, Terrence Jones and Shaun King. I’d rather not mention some of the bad ones but we have a few for sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Duhon was my first hero. Followed by Foley. Then of course Roch who quarterbacked our best team in modern times. Had to love the exciting Terrence Jones and of course Shaun King.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

Mike McKay, he was a California JUCO guy with an accent like the character Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He was the coolest guy I have ever witnessed in the pocket. As he was being brought down his eyes were downfield ready to drop the ball exactly where it needed to be. He could drill the ball or lob it, A remarkably poised QB.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good one 97. He was also known as "The Tiger Killer"!!!
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
MicMan
Swell

Nickie Hall could flat-out throw, helped to have Robert Griffin and Rodney Holman on the other end. Hall spent some brief time on the Packers roster. Wade Elmore was overshadowed, but was a good guy.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I, too, liked Wade Elmore. "We gonna score with Elmore"!!

But Shaun King was the greatest TU QB in my book. His skills running Rich Rod's offense were so much fun to watch. He'd fake the pitch and smile as he ran past the poor DB he just faked out of his jock. Then burn him on the next play with a quick slant.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

This thread really highlights just how many good QBs Tulane has had over the years. Which in turn makes me wonder if Fritz might help his QB recruiting efforts if the Athletic Dept would put a wall sized montage of great Tulane QBs somewhere on the premises. If I, as a hopelessly committed die-hard fan, can overlook our QB history, I’m sure most of our QB recruits are unaware of our QB history. For that matter, I bet Fritz and his staff aren’t fully aware of our QB history. NFLers include Duhon, Foley (as a DB), Nicky Hall, Ken Karcher, Bubby Brister, Patrick Ramsey, JP Losman, Jonathan Quisinberry? (he transferred to Middle Tennessee) then on to NFL, I’m probably overlooking some—did Tommy Mason ever play QB at Tulane? At least two great Tulane QBs never got a real shot at the NFL—Terrance Jones, and Mike McKay. In any case, Tulane could have an impressive QB wall if they wanted.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:00 am This thread really highlights just how many good QBs Tulane has had over the years. Which in turn makes me wonder if Fritz might help his QB recruiting efforts if the Athletic Dept would put a wall sized montage of great Tulane QBs somewhere on the premises. If I, as a hopelessly committed die-hard fan, can overlook our QB history, I’m sure most of our QB recruits are unaware of our QB history. For that matter, I bet Fritz and his staff aren’t fully aware of our QB history. NFLers include Duhon, Foley (as a DB), Nicky Hall, Ken Karcher, Bubby Brister, Patrick Ramsey, JP Losman, Jonathan Quisinberry? (he transferred to Middle Tennessee) then on to NFL, I’m probably overlooking some—did Tommy Mason ever play QB at Tulane? At least two great Tulane QBs never got a real shot at the NFL—Terrance Jones, and Mike McKay. In any case, Tulane could have an impressive QB wall if they wanted.
Ryan Griffin?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

Tulane was Reggie Collier's first choice out of high school. It was Nickie Hall's presence at Tulane that made him choose Southern Miss. Can you imagine what those two QB's could have done with the RPO?
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
wave97
Swell

MicMan wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:41 pm Nickie Hall could flat-out throw, helped to have Robert Griffin and Rodney Holman on the other end. Hall spent some brief time on the Packers roster. Wade Elmore was overshadowed, but was a good guy.
Paul Catanese (California), and Wade Elmore were the one and two QB's going into 1981. Mike McKay was the third string QB.
We played against LSU's JV team at some high school on the West Bank and Mike McKay was the QB who defeated LSU's JV team and the Varsity team in one season.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We had some GREAT kickers as well. Leaving the Dome seems to have shut that down. Eddie Murray, Brad Pallazo, Seth Marler, Cairo Santos, just to name a few.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ccap05
Surge

Reggie Collier was the most fun to watch.