Step 1....Turn on Fax Machine

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Is there any type of independent rating or assessment on how Tulane’s recruiting class compares to U LA LA’s and LA Tech? Being in the AAC and regularly on one of the ESPN channels Tulane should be getting the best players in this state after LSU. There is no reason why U LA LA and LA Tech should even be close to us in the recruiting rankings being they are in the Sunbelt and CUSA respectively and get very little national television exposure.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm Is there any type of independent rating or assessment on how Tulane’s recruiting class compares to U LA LA’s and LA Tech? Being in the AAC and regularly on one of the ESPN channels Tulane should be getting the best players in this state after LSU. There is no reason why U LA LA and LA Tech should even be close to us in the recruiting rankings being they are in the Sunbelt and CUSA respectively and get very little national television exposure.
Rivals ranks us at 75, La. Tech at 78 and ULL at 82nd. They both have 15 signees compared to our 18. They both have a higher avg. rating for their classes. They both have 8 three star players and we have 6. we are 9th in the AAC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm Is there any type of independent rating or assessment on how Tulane’s recruiting class compares to U LA LA’s and LA Tech? Being in the AAC and regularly on one of the ESPN channels Tulane should be getting the best players in this state after LSU. There is no reason why U LA LA and LA Tech should even be close to us in the recruiting rankings being they are in the Sunbelt and CUSA respectively and get very little national television exposure.
247sports rankings for 2019 recruiting classes (a few of the G5's)

56. Boise State
57. UCF
59. Memphis
62. SMU
63. USF
64. North Texas
65. Louisiana
67. S. Miss
68. E. Carolina
71. Houston
72. Troy
74. Cincy
77. Temple
79. Toledo
80. Middle Tenneessee
81. Louisiana Tech
82. UAB
84. Tulane

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... mRankings/

Cajuns signed 20 today, 13 who played their high school ball in Louisiana. We have 5 blue shirts so our signing class for this year was 25. Class includes 16 3-star players and 2 2-star players.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm

56. Boise State
57. UCF
59. Memphis
62. SMU
63. USF
64. North Texas
65. Louisiana
67. S. Miss
68. E. Carolina
71. Houston
72. Troy
74. Cincy
77. Temple
79. Toledo
80. Middle Tenneessee
81. Louisiana Tech
82. UAB
84. Tulane

Cajuns signed 20 today, 13 who played their high school ball in Louisiana. We have 5 blue shirts so our signing class for this year was 25. Class includes 16 3-star players and 2 2-star players.
:roll:

You’ve gone too far. This is a Tulane board. How did our game go last week ? What was that recent article from our resentful Louisiana newspapers declaring ? Oh yes, we dominated you and we are the 2nd best program in Louisiana and showed it.

Go to your ULL board for a circle jerk. I look forward to fritz and Tulane keeping you in your place and continuing to distance ourselves from you. Honestly I wish you were on our schedule the next couple years just to humble your team & program and steal all of your future recruits. We have allowed you to eat off our plate for far too long and it’s got to stop. We saw what you could do with gross incompetence in leadership for decades let’s see how this new era goes. I know this, we’re feeling mighty hungry and it’s time for us to eat up.

First we take ULL and LA tech’s best recruits by 2020, then we get a 2-1 with LSU and we beat them on a down year. Suddenly we’re back . . .give us one win over LSU and let’s see what the surrounding areas and uptown people are talking about & attending . . . A guy can dream (mostly about the LSU portion).
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Everything I am hearing from the recruiting experts is that Tulane had a very solid class. There were no surprises in that all recruits we expected signed with us today. It seems like we had a very good day. I would think that there are a lot of players going to U LA LA who Tulane did not offer and did not want but if we get in direct competition with them for a player we should win ninety-five percent of the time. U LA LA can afford to have low rated recruiting classes playing in the Sunbelt conference but Tulane playing in the AAC at a much higher level of competition must always have a strong recruiting class in order to keep up with our conference mates.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 am
:roll:

You’ve gone too far. This is a Tulane board. How did our game go last week ? What was that recent article from our resentful Louisiana newspapers declaring ? Oh yes, we dominated you and we are the 2nd best program in Louisiana and showed it.
Cajunfanatico responded to another poster whom asked where 3rd parties ranked our respective classes. This is subjective, and different sites use different metrics, so who's to say who is most accurate? Cajunfanatico generally offers insight into the Cajun's program (note: that's as close as I'll come to calling them "Louisiana" which is a whole lot better than their feeble attempt at becoming the U of Louisiana, which we all know is part of Tulane's legacy.) I, for one, enjoy most of his posts.

Ultimately results on the field and game related rankings will tell which team is second best to Ellis Hugh in the state. We do play in the toughest conference outside of the SEC among the D1 teams in Louisiana. And Fritz seems to have learned what it takes to win in this conference. Our division was down this year, but he keeps getting more and more knowledgeable about what it's going to take to compete and eventually win an AAC title.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

Let's keep in mind classroom work. I know everyone says we've dropped our standards to the same as everyone else. That may be true, but I assure you the teachers in the classrooms at Tulane aren't going out of their way to give any breaks to athletes. So just because a kid can "get:" in doesn't mean he can "stay" in. And I'm not talking about smarts. I'm talking about wanting to make the EFFORT to do the classwork. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we lose some players, like a Camel or a Le'Dedric Jackson. There's no argument that the classwork expected is much more rigorous at Tulane than at UL-L. So some of these higher rated players they get coujld be ones that would rather the easier road. They'd rather dominate in the Sunbelt against an easier schedule and with less classroom effort than put in the work it would take to get a Tulane degree.

In the end, players that aren't willing to put the effort into EVERYTHING aren't the ones you want. You look at our seniors and they almost all graduate, many with multiple degrees, and yet still performed at a high level on the field.. That's the players we want.
Last edited by RobertM320 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

If you notice, cajunfanatico keeps bringing up that 2/3s of their recruits are from LA, In comparison, I think Fritz has 4 so far this year. Given the education system in LA, its a fair assumption that the recruits we bring in from Texas, FL, Alabama and Georgia are more qualified to handle both sports AND classroom work. And with the new rules in place of a hard 25, you can't afford to sign players only to have them drop out of school and tie up a spot for 3 years. Fritz knows this.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 am Let's keep in mind classroom work. I know everyone says we've dropped our standards to the same as everyone else. That may be true, but I assure you the teachers in the classrooms at Tulane aren't going out of their way to give any breaks to athletes. So just because a kid can "get:" in doesn't mean he can "stay" in. And I'm not talking about smarts. I'm talking about wanting to make the EFFORT to do the classwork. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we lose some players, like a Camel or a Le'Dedric Jackson. There's no argument that the classwork expected is much more rigorous at Tulane than at UL-L. So some of these higher rated players they get coujld be ones that would rather the easier road. They'd rather dominate in the Sunbelt against an easier schedule and with less classroom effort than put in the work it would take to get a Tulane degree.

In the end, players that aren't willing to put the effort into EVERYTHING are the ones you want. You look at our seniors and they almost all graduate, many with multiple degrees, and yet still performed at a high level on the field.. That's the players we want.
sorta like the players at Notre Dame, Northwestern, Stanford, Southern Cal, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami, Baylor, SMU, for example
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 am You’ve gone too far. This is a Tulane board.
Bicoastal, keep in mind that trolls are gonna troll. That's all they've got. Just remember "41-24".

BTW, my definition of a troll on this board is one who gleefully and frequently posts about any real or imagined Tulane shortcoming while enthusiastically endorsing another team.
anEngineer
Riptide

Unlike most on this board, I have no absolute demand to get local kids. It's great if you can and inspires more local interest (which we desperately need), but I agree that the LA public education system is far from the most preparatory in the country. I want the best kid we can get and keep in school; I don't care where he is from. I don't know if it's still true, but I was told in the past that some inner city kids (particularly in basketball) declined on Tulane because they fealt some intimidation by the kind of students they would be surrounded by and didn't want to feel inadequate academically. I can see that.
Highwave
Low Tide

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm

56. Boise State
57. UCF
59. Memphis
62. SMU
63. USF
64. North Texas
65. Louisiana
67. S. Miss
68. E. Carolina
71. Houston
72. Troy
74. Cincy
77. Temple
79. Toledo
80. Middle Tenneessee
81. Louisiana Tech
82. UAB
84. Tulane

Cajuns should be proud of the best class in their not-so-storied history. Best case scenario, Napier builds them up for 2-3 years and jumps ship. Worst case scenario, he is Hudspeth 2.0.

Now, with respect to your post -- only the following from the rankings you posted had the same amount, or less, sign yesterday:

56. Boise State (15)
68. E. Carolina (18)
71. Houston (15)
74. Cincy (15)
79. Toledo (17)
81. Louisiana Tech (15)

The rest, all signed more kids, and therefore had more points (and were higher in the rankings).
57. UCF (21)
59. Memphis (19)
62. SMU (19)
63. USF (20)
64. North Texas (23)
65. Louisiana (21)
67. S. Miss (25)
72. Troy (19)
77. Temple (20)
80. Middle Tenneessee (19)
82. UAB (19)

Tulane at 17 commitments on 247 boasts an average rating of 82.05. We can sign 4-5 more recruits. If we maintain that average, we will surpass all but the AAC teams.

I am more concerned with our performance against the AAC, and La Tech's recruiting - which consistently bests us. That is who we are "competing" with for 2nd best in the state. Not Louisiana-Lafayette.
Wave755
Tsunami

Highwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 am
Tulane at 17 commitments on 247 boasts an average rating of 82.05. We can sign 4-5 more recruits. If we maintain that average, we will surpass all but the AAC teams.

I am more concerned with our performance against the AAC, and La Tech's recruiting - which consistently bests us. That is who we are "competing" with for 2nd best in the state. Not Louisiana-Lafayette.
+1, Highwave.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 am

Go to your ULL board for a circle jerk. I look forward to fritz and Tulane keeping you in your place and continuing to distance ourselves from you. Honestly I wish you were on our schedule the next couple years just to humble your team & program and steal all of your future recruits. We have allowed you to eat off our plate for far too long and it’s got to stop. We saw what you could do with gross incompetence in leadership for decades let’s see how this new era goes. I know this, we’re feeling mighty hungry and it’s time for us to eat up.

First we take ULL and LA tech’s best recruits by 2020, then we get a 2-1 with LSU and we beat them on a down year. Suddenly we’re back . . .give us one win over LSU and let’s see what the surrounding areas and uptown people are talking about & attending . . . A guy can dream (mostly about the LSU portion).
No, I haven't gone too far.

Sunamiwave asked a specific question, and I answered it and provide a link. I also clarified exactly how many recruits we signed yesterday and their rankings according to 247. I made no comments about who had the better day because I don't know all that goes into these rankings. I don't follow Rivals because they don't follow the Cajun program and I'm not going to give them clicks. Also, most posters I see around the interwebs rely on 247 more than any other and it's the one fans on our site have always followed.

I don't understand why some of you guys are so fuckin' sensitive about me posting here. I never come here and bash Tulane, quite the contrary, I pull for the Wave when they're not playing my Cajun teams. The closest I'd say I've come to saying something negative was when I recently said I've had my doubts about Fritz, thought he was too damned conservative and loyal to certain staff members that were maybe holding the team back.

And yes, it's far harder for the average student athlete at Tulane to make the grades than it is in our program, I understand that and have never said otherwise. but from what I've heard, Napier really focuses on signing players who excel both on the field and in the classroom because a failure in the classroom obviously disrupts what's been accomplished on the field.

To those of you who keep getting heartburn because I post here, might I suggest you just ignore my posts because. I'm not going anywhere. I enjoy posting here and will continue when I feel I have something to contribute.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Highwave
Low Tide

cajunfanatico, I frankly don't care if you post or not. I live in Lafayette and pull for the Cajuns when they don't play Tulane. But don't come on here and act like you aren't trolling. You brag about it on raginpagin.com.
http://www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/sho ... ost1121974
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:42 am Let's keep in mind classroom work. I know everyone says we've dropped our standards to the same as everyone else. That may be true, but I assure you the teachers in the classrooms at Tulane aren't going out of their way to give any breaks to athletes. So just because a kid can "get:" in doesn't mean he can "stay" in. And I'm not talking about smarts. I'm talking about wanting to make the EFFORT to do the classwork. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why we lose some players, like a Camel or a Le'Dedric Jackson. There's no argument that the classwork expected is much more rigorous at Tulane than at UL-L. So some of these higher rated players they get coujld be ones that would rather the easier road. They'd rather dominate in the Sunbelt against an easier schedule and with less classroom effort than put in the work it would take to get a Tulane degree.

In the end, players that aren't willing to put the effort into EVERYTHING aren't the ones you want. You look at our seniors and they almost all graduate, many with multiple degrees, and yet still performed at a high level on the field.. That's the players we want.
At the same time Tulane started allowing minimum qualifiers in they put in several athlete friendly majors to accommodate that. It is the long time losing and the lack of facilities that continue to hurt our recruiting in football and basketball. People can continue to take a selfish stance on Yulman and Devlin but when you are trying to get players in that can make a true difference in our athletic success in the two major sports the game day facility matters. Both are too small to impress. You have to look at it from a young person's point of view that when they walk in those two facilities and look around and think this is where I'm going to play my college ball that they just aren't going to be impressed. Football is hurt even more by the piss poor excuses we have for a weight room, meeting rooms, squad room and locker room. As long as those issues aren't addressed we will continue to underwhelm in recruiting.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am Unlike most on this board, I have no absolute demand to get local kids. It's great if you can and inspires more local interest (which we desperately need), but I agree that the LA public education system is far from the most preparatory in the country. I want the best kid we can get and keep in school; I don't care where he is from. I don't know if it's still true, but I was told in the past that some inner city kids (particularly in basketball) declined on Tulane because they fealt some intimidation by the kind of students they would be surrounded by and didn't want to feel inadequate academically. I can see that.
Most here and elsewhere don't give a damn where they come from. It's a media talking point. Like WF said again yesterday he's not taking 3rd's and 4th's that most Louisiana HS's want to ty and shove down his throat. We got one of our better recruits from Chicago yesterday because Atkins is from there. We should have been using that hook since he got here. Those midwest kids want out of that weather and have an appreciation for the academic side of things.
Wave755
Tsunami

Highwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 pm cajunfanatico, I frankly don't care if you post or not. I live in Lafayette and pull for the Cajuns when they don't play Tulane. But don't come on here and act like you aren't trolling. You brag about it on raginpagin.com.
Thanks, Highwave. :D

Cajun troll, you are busted!!! :lol:

Now, let's get back to talking Tulane football!
cajunfanatico
Swell

Highwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 pm cajunfanatico, I frankly don't care if you post or not. I live in Lafayette and pull for the Cajuns when they don't play Tulane. But don't come on here and act like you aren't trolling. You brag about it on raginpagin.com.
LOL, The comment made here was outrageous and germane to the conversation there, that's why I mentioned it. Lemme ask you a quesiton. If someone said that Tulane was paying somebody like ESPN for publicity, you'd let the comment go? I did here, exactly what I said there, I told the poster here that we were also paying CBS, Fox, Sports Illustrated, etc. to call us Louisiana just to prove how stupid the comment was.

Again, give me an example where I've come on here and been an asshole and trolled you guys? One example.

You wanna see people trolling Wave fans, read any of those Tulane threads and you'll see Tulame, Jewlane (the most biggoted comment by far) and numerous others. I don't participate in the name calling.
anEngineer
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Can we move this Tulane-ULL debate to a topic called Irrelevant Arguments?
greenphantom
Swell

I’m so over the back and forth between Tulane and UL. Historically speaking, the debate is about as weak as the Timmy vs Jimmy Cripple Fight.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

:lol:

Check Mate

How about that cure bowl ? Let’s discuss that. That sunbelt speed was . . .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

sorta like the players at Notre Dame, Northwestern, Stanford, Southern Cal, Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami, Baylor, SMU, for example
[/quote]

It can be difficult to keep kids who aren’t serious about school eligible once they are at Tulane. Two of our best recruits form last year aren’t with the team anymore.

The schools mentioned above have MAJOR recruiting superiority over us because of P5 status, budget, endowment, academic prowess etc. There are plenty of kids who are great students who are great football players . . . We just can’t beat Stanford for them. If we were in a P5 it would be fun to see us recruit against BC/Duke/Wake/Syracuse . . . All of whom I think we would smoke if not for that P5 disparity. The others not so much.

As an aside- how does SMU out recruit us ?
Wave755
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:55 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 pm

Can we move this Tulane-ULL debate to a topic called Irrelevant Arguments?
Resolved, Cajun Troll (Cajunfanatico) is a ULALA troll. And agreed, now let's move on to talking Wave athletics.. :D
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:42 pm
:lol:

Check Mate

How about that cure bowl ? Let’s discuss that. That sunbelt speed was . . .
Checkmate? Perhaps you might want to consider another game. How could I troll Tulane fans here by posting something on our board that actually happened?

As for your other comment, I've got absolutely no problem discussing the Cure Bowl. You guys were the better team. Fantastic. But, shouldn't you have been the better team?

You achieved at least the minimum of what you should have achieved, no? Consider that your proram is in year THREE of this coach's tenure and play in a conference that features much higher athletic budgets, better facilities, more media coverage etc than the Sun Belt and therefore easier access to higher-rated players. That's a correct observation, no?

Tulane faced a team with a wrecked locker room from last year and a brand new coach. A coach that few (even most Cajun fans) dreamed would get the team to a bowl game, much less win the western division of the conference and play in the championship game. I would say without hesitation, the Napier and the Cajuns over-achieved.

But as you guys say, enough about the Cajuns and what Napier's done, let's talk about Tulane football.

I asked this question elsewhere here but don't think anyone answered it. How do you guys think Tulane's season would have ended had McMillan, out of the blue, not transferred in from the 800 lb gorilla upstream shortly before the season started?

Based on how the season was progressing before he became the starter, I think you'd have likely been terribly disappointed and would likely be calling for Fritz's head right now. Just my humble opinion. Maybe one of the other qb's would have stepped in for Banks and done an equal job as McMillan, but I kinda doubt it..

Now, while I don't think McMillan saved Fritz's job because I don't think Dannen was anywhere near pulling the trigger on canning him, it sure looks to me like McMillan at least gave Fritz some major breathing room. Would you guys agree with that? Five games into the season and you guys were in a lather about the squad and Fritz's coaching. Today he's a hero.

Fritz's canning of his OC was a shocker to me because I honestly figured that by getting bowl-eligible, he would figure that might be good enough and he could cruise for at least another year. Hiring Hall was a great move on his part and will absolutely pay dividends next season as all the talent seems to be in place to have a really good year.

I will say this after posting on this site for quite a few years. I think Tulane fans have been immensly patient. Don't take that as a negative, it's not, it's just an observation. I assure you that if Napier has a .500 year or worse next year and arrives at year 3 not knowing what kind of offense he wants to run and no idea of which quarterback with which to run it, there will be calls for his head.

That's how it should be in today's college football.