Year of the Green

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

On this day in 1970 Tulane beat Colorado 17-3 in the Liberty Bowl. A great ending to a fun season. Those little green men were everywhere.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:04 pm On this day in 1970 Tulane beat Colorado 17-3 in the Liberty Bowl. A great ending to a fun season. Those little green men were everywhere.
I have posted this previously...on the FRONT PAGE, thats the FRONT PAGE, not the "sports section, of the Memphis Commercial Appeal

"THOSE LITTLE GREEN MEN, WERE OUT OF THIS WORLD"

to me, one of the best all time "sports" headlines ever wrtiiten
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Posted it just for you golf.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Great stuff. Thanks for posting it.
DrBox
Riptide

Really cool.
I wish there was a tape of the game around. I think ABC 's top football broadcaster Chris Schenkel called the game.
RobertM320
Green Wave

There is a 30 minute film about "Making of the Liberty Bowl". Mitch from the Greenbackers purchased it on eBay a few years ago, and I recently converted it to DVD for him. Its narrated by Schenkel, and it has footage of the Liberty Bowl committee deliberations, as well as game footage. Not as much as I hoped, because it covers more of the Liberty Bowl festivities, but still nice. They actually had Pittman miked for the game. I made a bunch of copies for him. See if he still has any left.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:04 pm On this day in 1970 Tulane beat Colorado 17-3 in the Liberty Bowl. A great ending to a fun season. Those little green men were everywhere.
Damn, 48 years ago, I was just a kid. David Abercrombie, Ray Hester & Rick Kingrea were my heros for that game!!!

Thanks WW for bringing back some great memories for me.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 am
Damn, 48 years ago, I was just a kid. David Abercrombie, Ray Hester & Rick Kingrea were my heros for that game!!!

Thanks WW for bringing back some great memories for me.
my former Jr High and high school teamate Bob Marshall played fullback on that team... i wish I could get a copy of the memphis newspaper
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

Heck of a team, ranked 15th nationally in points allowed, 13.3. Played a real good schedule with Texas Tech(8-4) , Cinci(7-4), #8 Air Force(9-3), #19 Georgia, N. Carolina (8-4) and #7 LSU.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:42 pm Heck of a team, ranked 15th nationally in points allowed, 13.3. Played a real good schedule with Texas Tech(8-4) , Cinci(7-4), #8 Air Force(9-3), #19 Georgia, N. Carolina (8-4) and #7 LSU.
Typical of our football schedules through the 70’s, and really up until Eamon Kelly started doing his best imitation of Rufus Harris, and rolled out the Tulane Model. It’s so depressing to compare who we play and beat today versus who we used to play and beat back in the 70’s and early 80’s.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 am
Pepper wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:42 pm Heck of a team, ranked 15th nationally in points allowed, 13.3. Played a real good schedule with Texas Tech(8-4) , Cinci(7-4), #8 Air Force(9-3), #19 Georgia, N. Carolina (8-4) and #7 LSU.
Typical of our football schedules through the 70’s, and really up until Eamon Kelly started doing his best imitation of Rufus Harris, and rolled out the Tulane Model. It’s so depressing to compare who we play and beat today versus who we used to play and beat back in the 70’s and early 80’s.
I'm not sure the correlation you're trying to make between Eamon Kelly and Rufus Harris is accurate. A lot has to do with changing landscapes of the world of college football. We joined a conference, C-USA, during Kelly's tenure. We were trying to forge a conference at various points as well. Kelly hired some great AD's. Cowen ripped out anything that might be positive for Tulane Athletics including Sandy Barbour, the review, and so on. Cowen was the cancer, but the patient had been ill since the late 1950's.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:38 am There is a 30 minute film about "Making of the Liberty Bowl". Mitch from the Greenbackers purchased it on eBay a few years ago, and I recently converted it to DVD for him. Its narrated by Schenkel, and it has footage of the Liberty Bowl committee deliberations, as well as game footage. Not as much as I hoped, because it covers more of the Liberty Bowl festivities, but still nice. They actually had Pittman miked for the game. I made a bunch of copies for him. See if he still has any left.
Wow -very cool.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 am
I'm not sure the correlation you're trying to make between Eamon Kelly and Rufus Harris is accurate. A lot has to do with changing landscapes of the world of college football. We joined a conference, C-USA, during Kelly's tenure. We were trying to forge a conference at various points as well. Kelly hired some great AD's. Cowen ripped out anything that might be positive for Tulane Athletics including Sandy Barbour, the review, and so on. Cowen was the cancer, but the patient had been ill since the late 1950's.
No, during the 70’s, under Longnecker and especially Sheldon Hackney, the patient did recover from the 50’s. We had some good ADs under Kelly, but we also had Hindman Wall, and whichever ADs hired Greg Davis and Buddy’ Teevans—all under Kelly’s watch and the Tulane Model. No doubt Cowen was a cancer and even bigger disaster than Kelly, but Kelly gave Cowen the foundation, the Tulane Model, which Cowen took to new heights. And don’t forget Kelly played his greater-than-thou academic card, and did an academic show boat by killing our basketball program. He didn’t kill the Anthropology Dept, whose students conjured up the point shaving scandal. Yea, I think Kelly’s misdeeds are very comparable to Rufus Harris. But neither compare to Cowen—Tulane’s Titanic.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Outstanding
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That is the first true good team we had in my lifetime. I would have put them on the field with anyone and felt who knows we could win. Pittman left after that season. i can remember being in Tulane stadium when they announced he had died on the sidelines coaching TCU. Very sad moment.
swampnik
Surge

Loved the fact that TU paid for many YOTG billboards all around town. There was something in the air. Coach Pittman was excellent and loved by the team. .Tulane had a great defense that year and had three 31-0 final scores. I was there for the 31-0 victory against NC State Wolfpack. My Dad and I drove down from Shreveport for it.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bob Marshall, who I grew up with, we played together at Metry Jr Hi and East Jeff was one hell of a player, he was the "fullback" on that team...Coach Pittman's son Alec was at EJ with us, I think he was a soph our senior year ...he played with Mike Miley before going to 'Bama to play . I understand he moved back to Bama and coached Hi School Ball there
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 pm That is the first true good team we had in my lifetime. I would have put them on the field with anyone and felt who knows we could win. Pittman left after that season. i can remember being in Tulane stadium when they announced he had died on the sidelines coaching TCU. Very sad moment.
win, your post made me do a little research on Jim Pittman. I came across a great article mostly about the night he died,

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/sto ... man-081715
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

One of my favorites!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 am
winwave wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 pm That is the first true good team we had in my lifetime. I would have put them on the field with anyone and felt who knows we could win. Pittman left after that season. i can remember being in Tulane stadium when they announced he had died on the sidelines coaching TCU. Very sad moment.
win, your post made me do a little research on Jim Pittman. I came across a great article mostly about the night he died,

D...thanks so much for the link...it saddened me to read, but I also realized how lucky I was to have met the man...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 am

Thanks for the link.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Best all time FRONT PAGE Headline....Memphis Commercial Appeal
"Those Little Green Men, Were Out Of This World"
Jaxwave
Swell

I don't think he would mind if I tell this story but Hank Tierney, former Shaw coach and present Pontchatoula coach is a good friend of mine. As a teen, he would frequently go sneak in Tulane Stadium for Pittman's closed practices, and would like flat on the entrance ramp to avoid being seen. He would come back and tell us how tough they were with a lot of screaming and fierce hitting drills. He grew up a Tulane fan, stayed loyal thru the terrible 60s, so he loved Jim Pittman. Had Rich Rodriguez succeeded Tommy Bowden, Hank had accepted an offer to be on his staff. Along with a lot of us he was shocked to learn that Monday morning that Scelfo got the job. I guess you could say Hank was the most successful coach from the Pittman coaching tree. Lol. Good times. Thanks for sharing that article on Pittman.