Will Hall New OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:46 pm You have your head in the sand if you don’t think hiring coaches for who they may know or can bring in doesn’t happen at these P5 schools. Trooper Taylor made a living on this.
I remember Ole Miss trying to steal our coaches and players right after Katrina. Wouldn’t put it past them to try again. I’m glad Hall didn’t fall for it.
Hall isn't Trooper Taylor who got jobs based solely on his supposed recruiting abilities. Hall is being hired for his coaching abilities and not because of ties to recruits or HS coaches that he could bring in. It's foolish to think otherwise. That's what we are discussing in this thread.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 pm I got this from a post of Red Cup Rebellion, the Ole Miss SB Nation site:

Quotes from Matt Luke from Friday morning:

"Will Hall is an excellent young coach who I was interested in and interviewed. We talked about money, we talked about who he would bring in if there was another opening on our staff, but I never offered him the job. Will knows that. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have but he needed it to happen quickly and I was not prepared to do that.

"I am obligated to Ole Miss to hire the best people I can find. Will might have been it in the long run, but he couldn’t wait and I couldn’t pull the trigger that quickly without interviewing a lot more people. This is not like the DC search – I knew I wanted either Mike MacIntyre or Pete Golding from the beginning. I do not have that feeling at OC. I have a great list, but I’m going to take my time and get the right guy in here.

"I know there are people putting out the narrative that I offered Will the job and Ross Bjork blocked it. That is just not true. Ross has not pushed anyone with me for this job and he certainly has not denied anyone. Money is not an issue, within reason, just as it wasn’t with DC. He has been nothing but supportive in this whole deal and anything to the contrary – or anything stating he blocked a hire – is just wrong. He has not put one ounce of pressure on me about any individual coach or any time frame. I have told him my plans and he is fine with it.

"There is also a rumor circulating that my agent, Jimmy Sexton, is pulling the strings on this deal. Not true. I am certainly using him as a resource to give me names, but he has not tried to influence me at all in any way. The narrative that I did not hire Will because he was not a Sexton client is totally false. Jimmy represents a lot of coaches and I may end up hiring someone he represents, but it will have no bearing on my decision whether the right guy is a Sexton guy or not. Jimmy knows that and so does Ross.

"I will have the right OC in place before the next recruiting cycle, but – again – I am going to take my time and get the right guy in here. This is too important to rush into and I told Will that and every other candidate I have talked to that. They know the truth."

At least Will Hall understood that to be fair to us the choice had to be made immediately, and when OM couldn't promise that, he withdrew. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
That coach sounds like he's not the CEO. Everybody helping him make decisions or giving him guidance. I would not want to be there with that kind of environment.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 pm I got this from a post of Red Cup Rebellion, the Ole Miss SB Nation site:

Quotes from Matt Luke from Friday morning:

"Will Hall is an excellent young coach who I was interested in and interviewed. We talked about money, we talked about who he would bring in if there was another opening on our staff, but I never offered him the job. Will knows that. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have but he needed it to happen quickly and I was not prepared to do that.

"I am obligated to Ole Miss to hire the best people I can find. Will might have been it in the long run, but he couldn’t wait and I couldn’t pull the trigger that quickly without interviewing a lot more people. This is not like the DC search – I knew I wanted either Mike MacIntyre or Pete Golding from the beginning. I do not have that feeling at OC. I have a great list, but I’m going to take my time and get the right guy in here.

"I know there are people putting out the narrative that I offered Will the job and Ross Bjork blocked it. That is just not true. Ross has not pushed anyone with me for this job and he certainly has not denied anyone. Money is not an issue, within reason, just as it wasn’t with DC. He has been nothing but supportive in this whole deal and anything to the contrary – or anything stating he blocked a hire – is just wrong. He has not put one ounce of pressure on me about any individual coach or any time frame. I have told him my plans and he is fine with it.

"There is also a rumor circulating that my agent, Jimmy Sexton, is pulling the strings on this deal. Not true. I am certainly using him as a resource to give me names, but he has not tried to influence me at all in any way. The narrative that I did not hire Will because he was not a Sexton client is totally false. Jimmy represents a lot of coaches and I may end up hiring someone he represents, but it will have no bearing on my decision whether the right guy is a Sexton guy or not. Jimmy knows that and so does Ross.

"I will have the right OC in place before the next recruiting cycle, but – again – I am going to take my time and get the right guy in here. This is too important to rush into and I told Will that and every other candidate I have talked to that. They know the truth."

At least Will Hall understood that to be fair to us the choice had to be made immediately, and when OM couldn't promise that, he withdrew. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
That coach sounds like he's not the CEO. Everybody helping him make decisions or giving him guidance. I would not want to be there with that kind of environment.
Thank You! Confirms my source 1000% about who he could bring in as assistants. Money was there but he couldn’t commit on the assistants. Exactly what I posted much earlier this morning.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually not. What your source said was he was asked to get certain assistants so they could bring along certain 5 star recruits. What's stated above by Luke in a CYA presser is just normal "if there's an opening on the offensive staff who would you like to bring in". Like I said above much better sources say he couldn't get more than a one year deal so he stayed here. Luke is very much on the hot seat. No one is buying what he's saying. We got Hall and that's that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:03 pm Actually not. What your source said was he was asked to get certain assistants so they could bring along certain 5 star recruits. What's stated above by Luke in a CYA presser is just normal "if there's an opening on the offensive staff who would you like to bring in". Like I said above much better sources say he couldn't get more than a one year deal so he stayed here. Luke is very much on the hot seat. No one is buying what he's saying. We got Hall and that's that.
That was discussed in detail. Of course Luke is not going to comment on what was actually discussed publicly. But I was told it came down to that. You stated he’s being hired to coach and nothing to do with assistants he may bring in.
Assistants played a big part in the decision.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:18 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:03 pm Actually not. What your source said was he was asked to get certain assistants so they could bring along certain 5 star recruits. What's stated above by Luke in a CYA presser is just normal "if there's an opening on the offensive staff who would you like to bring in". Like I said above much better sources say he couldn't get more than a one year deal so he stayed here. Luke is very much on the hot seat. No one is buying what he's saying. We got Hall and that's that.
That was discussed in detail. Of course Luke is not going to comment on what was actually discussed publicly. But I was told it came down to that. You stated he’s being hired to coach and nothing to do with assistants he may bring in.
No they didn't and as others have said it's laughable to suggest it was. If Luke wanted Mississippi HS coaches so they could bring along their 5 star players he would just hire them.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:36 pm
No they didn't and as others have said it's laughable to suggest it was. If Luke wanted Mississippi HS coaches so they could bring along their 5 star players he would just hire them.
It may be laughable to you but it was part of the discussion. So much so that Luke felt it was important to mention that assistants were discussed in that recently published interview on his search. This morning you stated at assistants had nothing to do with it. Now that the HC comes out and confirms they discussed assistants you try to change it around. Once again we can agree to disagree. I stand 1000% by my source on this one.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

All I know is it seems that Hall acted professionally with regards to Tulane in forcing Luke to either hire him or cut bait. He told Luke early in the process this had to be done quickly, and when it became apparent that wasn't happening, he backed out. All of the bitching and moaning here, simply because he interviewed for a job that would have added at minimum half a million dollars to his annual salary was sanctimonious and unnecessary.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:52 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:36 pm
It may be laughable to you but it was part of the discussion. So much so that Luke felt it was important to mention that assistants were discussed in that recently published interview on his search. This morning you stated at assistants had nothing to do with it. Now that the HC comes out and confirms they discussed assistants you try to change it around. Once again we can agree to disagree. I stand 1000% by my source on this one.
Not changing anything. When any coordinator gets hired they are usually given some latitude in who gets hired for the offensive staff if there are openings. That's a far cry from what you said which was he as being sought so he could deliver Mississippi HS assistants who in turn would deliver their 5 star players. Like I said Luke could do that all by himself. He doesn't need Hall for that. It was about the fact that he couldn't get more than a one year guarantee on his contract . I get you won't admit your source was wrong but he was.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

He's doing it again. Nuff said.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm He's doing it again. Nuff said.
Yep :cry:
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I thought these mock t-shirts were pretty funny!

ajcalhoun
Swell

"Oh boy, another tps/winwave pissing match!" said no one on gotula.net, ever.

(D, stay out of it. I like both ww and tps but when they get like this nobody wins.)
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:05 pm
DfromCT wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm He's doing it again. Nuff said.
Yep :cry:
LOL. I never said they didn't discuss assistants. What I said as to that is that it's normal for a HC interviewing a potential coordinator to discuss what assistants they might like to bring if they could. What tps said was that Luke demanded he be able to bring certain assistants that could bring certain 5 star recruits. Everyone see's through that. First off Hall has no background as as a recruiter. His rep is as a good offensive coach. Secondly as I said Luke is a Mississippi coach who played at Ole Miss and could just hire those assistants to bring in those recruits without Hall. Again it's ludicrous to stand behind that story. I said that wasn't the reason Hall didn't get the job. He turned it down because he couldn't get a guarantee for more than one year and because he wanted a decision now and Luke wouldn't give it. Don't hide behind personal attacks. State where you stand.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:13 pm "Oh boy, another tps/winwave pissing match!" said no one on gotula.net, ever.

(D, stay out of it. I like both ww and tps but when they get like this nobody wins.)
Maybe the Ad’s here got a small traffic boost for GoTula. :lol:
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Per my source:
Certain assistants were discussed as to who they could bring in. The money and terms were already known going in. A one year deal would pay more than a Tulane 3 year deal.
I’ll leave it at that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You won't . LOL. Hall knows, like everybody else , that Luke is out after next season. It's why their OC left. Their offense wasn't their issue. Their Defense was. He's already been on a staff that was fired after one year. He didn't want to go down that road again.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:50 am You won't . LOL. Hall knows, like everybody else , that Luke is out after next season. It's why their OC left. Their offense wasn't their issue. Their Defense was. He's already been on a staff that was fired after one year. He didn't want to go down that road again.
Then I think I'll contact Coach Hall and see if he needs some financial advice. If he's willing to bypass three times the money for a single year to stay at Tulane for what may only be a couple of years, he needs some help understanding economics.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:50 am You won't . LOL. Hall knows, like everybody else , that Luke is out after next season. It's why their OC left. Their offense wasn't their issue. Their Defense was. He's already been on a staff that was fired after one year. He didn't want to go down that road again.
Then I think I'll contact Coach Hall and see if he needs some financial advice. If he's willing to bypass three times the money for a single year to stay at Tulane for what may only be a couple of years, he needs some help understanding economics.
Actually he understands that being a HC at P5 will set him for life. Being fired a year from now for the second time in three years could derail his career path. I'd also point out no one knows what Tulane is paying him and what Ole Miss offered. He wasn't going to start at what the last guy was making as he didn't have the same credentials going in. But hey if you believe that he didn't get the job because he couldn't deliver Mississippi HS coaches that in turn would deliver their 5 star recruits go right ahead.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe. Unless you were in the room nobody knows exactly what happened.

Can we talk about what our offense will look like next year or something other than debating the hiring process at Ole Miss?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

The only thing that I believe, relative to Coach Hall, is that he will likely be a “one and done” at Tulane (maybe two years max). But hopefully, Atkins may be ready to step up into the OC roll by then-and we’ll have some continuity of what we all hope will be a varied and effective offense.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana