Will Hall New OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:08 pm Ole Miss deal called for some other things he just couldn’t commit to.
Just wondering. Name some thing you wouldn't be willing to commit to if it meant a $500K increase in your salary. I can't think of too many right off the top of my head.
He was asked about certain coaches as assistants. Couldn’t commit on them.
Coaches from us, or from Memphis? If that's the case, then Ole Miss hasn't changed a bit. They're still scum.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:28 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:13 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:08 pm Ole Miss deal called for some other things he just couldn’t commit to.
Just wondering. Name some thing you wouldn't be willing to commit to if it meant a $500K increase in your salary. I can't think of too many right off the top of my head.
He was asked about certain coaches as assistants. Couldn’t commit on them.
Coaches from us, or from Memphis? If that's the case, then Ole Miss hasn't changed a bit. They're still scum.
:?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

That was a rhetorical question, by the way. I truly wouldn't expect you to answer, even if you do know. But I wouldn't put it past Ole Miss after what they tried to do after Katrina.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wave97
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:53 pm He did not get an offer otherwise it would have been Roll Rebels. Lets just see how long he hangs around before we are so “ Happy Hall Stayed”!
Why are you all taking this so personally? Coaching is a job in the entertainment business. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Time for everyone to put down the pitchforks and put out the torches. Man, mob mentality and speculation can really spiral out of control. I was guilty on this one of writing off Hall as well.

On the other hand, let’s celebrate another win ! Eat it Ole Miss !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This has been hilarious to watch. There's no one Hall could have been expected to bring with him. No one. He is the catch. Accept for last season he's been the play caller every place he's been.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 pm This has been hilarious to watch. There's no one Hall could have been expected to bring with him. No one. He is the catch. Accept for last season he's been the play caller every place he's been.
Maybe a high school coach or two that may have a 5 star player or two. Just saying.
It’s a big win for the Wave keeping him.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:33 pm This has been hilarious to watch. There's no one Hall could have been expected to bring with him. No one. He is the catch. Accept for last season he's been the play caller every place he's been.
Maybe a high school coach or two that may have a 5 star player or two. Just saying.
It’s a big win for the Wave either way.
Nonsense. They aren't going out on the limb for Hall who doesn't have much D-1 experience and then have him bring along two HS coaches to maybe get a recruit. Ludicrous. Bad info..
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 pm
It’s a big win for the Wave either way.
Nonsense. They aren't going out on the limb for Hall who doesn't have much D-1 experience and then have him bring along two HS coaches to maybe get a recruit. Ludicrous. Bad info..
We’re talking Ole Miss here.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This isn't basketball two recruits aren't changing things in one year. Plus if he had that type of pull he would have had them at Memphis. Follow your own advice and admit you were wrong and move on.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 pm This isn't basketball two recruits aren't changing things in one year. Plus if he had that type of pull he would have had them at Memphis. Follow your own advice and admit you were wrong and move on.
Right apparently he doesn’t have that type of pull. It’s info I’ve been given. Nothing to do with being right or wrong. You can choose not to believe it. That’s fine. Not trying to defend anything. The question was asked by another poster and I answered what I was told. That’s it.
We may never actually know why but that’s what I was told tonight by a good source. So I shared it.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Obviously not a good source because that has no plausibility to it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Have to see who Ole Miss finally settles on and who he brings in if any.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I'm sure those 5 stars will be in tow.
Bigschtick
Riptide

wave97 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:53 pm He did not get an offer otherwise it would have been Roll Rebels. Lets just see how long he hangs around before we are so “ Happy Hall Stayed”!
Why are you all taking this so personally? Coaching is a job in the entertainment business. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I don't know wave, guess I am just a sensitive guy, That said, I am glad he is staying.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

IMO things turned out great for the Wave. It’s good to know we hired a coach that may be coveted. Its not much different than getting a verbal commitment from a kid and the last minute an SEC school shows interest but we end up holding on to him. I felt this way when we landed Justin Mc. We were fortunate that LSU blocked SEC schools from him. This is a big break for the Wave and I believe our new offense will attract a higher skilled player in the future. I haven’t been this excited about Tulane football since 1997. I really believe we’ve finally turned the corner here.
Tulane Class of 1981
anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 am I'm sure those 5 stars will be in tow.
So, it seems that you are angry that we now have an OC that was regarded well enough to be considered by an SEC school. It didn't take a week after the bowl win for the usual suspects to go back to ranting and raving about how terrible, stupid, inferior Tulane is. Do you really want Tulane to win or would that mess up your persona? Think whatever you want; the rest of us are moving on to better days.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:10 am
So, it seems that you are angry that we now have an OC that was regarded well enough to be considered by an SEC school. It didn't take a week after the bowl win for the usual suspects to go back to ranting and raving about how terrible, stupid, inferior Tulane is. Do you really want Tulane to win or would that mess up your persona? Think whatever you want; the rest of us are moving on to better days.
Not sure but I think that quote may have been in response to my comment on Ole Miss and what coach they may settle on to help them get 5 star kids.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

I'm not sure that's what he's saying.
To me, the idea that is employment at Ole Miss was contingent on his ability to attract other assistants who would bring in 5 star players to Ole Miss is ludicrous.
He was an assistant at Memphis last year; before that at Louisiana @ Lafayette. But he's suddenly a 5 star recruiter? And Ole Miss is a place for 5 star recruits? Good one.
Despite the pay raise that Ole Miss would provide, it's likely a 1 year raise. Is a fired Ole Miss coordinator really in a better position for a promotion than a successful Tulane coordinator?
I think he's an excellent coach and I'm thrilled he's at Tulane...I say this despite my belief that he's not a 5 star recruiter.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am
To me, the idea that is employment at Ole Miss was contingent on his ability to attract other assistants who would bring in 5 star players to Ole Miss is ludicrous.
He was an assistant at Memphis last year; before that at Louisiana @ Lafayette. But he's suddenly a 5 star recruiter? And Ole Miss is a place for 5 star recruits? Good one.
Despite the pay raise that Ole Miss would provide, it's likely a 1 year raise. Is a fired Ole Miss coordinator really in a better position for a promotion than a successful Tulane coordinator?
I think he's an excellent coach and I'm thrilled he's at Tulane...I say this despite my belief that he's not a 5 star recruiter.
The Mississippi 5 star kids keep getting away from Ole Miss. There was thought that with Hall’s Mississippi connections that could possibly change. Need to move on. He’s here now and we’re lucky to have him.
https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2018/12 ... g-day-2018
Two years after missing out on generational running back talent Cam Akers, Ole Miss has once again missed on the top recruit in the state of Mississippi.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Work on your reading comprehension. I was responding to the ridiculous reasoning being given as to why Hall didn't end up there. He doesn't have any 5 stars he can deliver and that's not a knock. No one would expect him to. He didn't take it because he knows Luke is a gone pecan after next season and they weren't offering Hall more than a one year deal. I have been high on him since we got him. Read the thread again. As to usual suspects you're one of the one's always looking to criticize loyal diehard Wave fans. Grow up. As D has pointed out everyone doesn't always have to see things with green colored glasses. Reality checks on the Tulane athletic department are much needed and warranted. If you want to read all is well all the time then go to the yoggie site.

Merry Christmas
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:05 am IMO things turned out great for the Wave. It’s good to know we hired a coach that may be coveted. Its not much different than getting a verbal commitment from a kid and the last minute an SEC school shows interest but we end up holding on to him. I felt this way when we landed Justin Mc. We were fortunate that LSU blocked SEC schools from him. This is a big break for the Wave and I believe our new offense will attract a higher skilled player in the future. I haven’t been this excited about Tulane football since 1997. I really believe we’ve finally turned the corner here.
No doubt. I think and hope Willie just saved his career and our program. We are already having a hard time attracting quality HC's. If Willie fails here it will make it much worse as everyone will say he won everywhere he's been but couldn't win at Tulane so nobody can. ROLLWAVEROLL!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am
+1,000,000
Show Me
Tsunami

You have your head in the sand if you don’t think hiring coaches for who they may know or can bring in doesn’t happen at these P5 schools. Trooper Taylor made a living on this.
I remember Ole Miss trying to steal our coaches and players right after Katrina. Wouldn’t put it past them to try again. I’m glad Hall didn’t fall for it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I got this from a post of Red Cup Rebellion, the Ole Miss SB Nation site:

Quotes from Matt Luke from Friday morning:

"Will Hall is an excellent young coach who I was interested in and interviewed. We talked about money, we talked about who he would bring in if there was another opening on our staff, but I never offered him the job. Will knows that. I’m not saying I wouldn’t have but he needed it to happen quickly and I was not prepared to do that.

"I am obligated to Ole Miss to hire the best people I can find. Will might have been it in the long run, but he couldn’t wait and I couldn’t pull the trigger that quickly without interviewing a lot more people. This is not like the DC search – I knew I wanted either Mike MacIntyre or Pete Golding from the beginning. I do not have that feeling at OC. I have a great list, but I’m going to take my time and get the right guy in here.

"I know there are people putting out the narrative that I offered Will the job and Ross Bjork blocked it. That is just not true. Ross has not pushed anyone with me for this job and he certainly has not denied anyone. Money is not an issue, within reason, just as it wasn’t with DC. He has been nothing but supportive in this whole deal and anything to the contrary – or anything stating he blocked a hire – is just wrong. He has not put one ounce of pressure on me about any individual coach or any time frame. I have told him my plans and he is fine with it.

"There is also a rumor circulating that my agent, Jimmy Sexton, is pulling the strings on this deal. Not true. I am certainly using him as a resource to give me names, but he has not tried to influence me at all in any way. The narrative that I did not hire Will because he was not a Sexton client is totally false. Jimmy represents a lot of coaches and I may end up hiring someone he represents, but it will have no bearing on my decision whether the right guy is a Sexton guy or not. Jimmy knows that and so does Ross.

"I will have the right OC in place before the next recruiting cycle, but – again – I am going to take my time and get the right guy in here. This is too important to rush into and I told Will that and every other candidate I have talked to that. They know the truth."

At least Will Hall understood that to be fair to us the choice had to be made immediately, and when OM couldn't promise that, he withdrew. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good.