Will Hall New OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Looking at this from a different perspective, it's possible that Hall and Coach Fritz discussed the potential Ole Miss offer. For all we know, the pre-hire conversation went like this:

"Willie, I've had contact from Ole Miss in the past few weeks. Phil Longo is moving on and they have a freshman all-world QB, Matt Corral, that's gonna save everyone's job there. I'm grateful for this opportunity at Tulane and as much respect as I have for you and as much as I would like to be on your staff, If an Ole Miss offer comes along in a couple weeks that's 4-5 times more than you can pay me, I can't walk away from that without a second look. If you want me with the understanding that this may happen, I'm your man."

If I were interviewing a man with this sort of honesty, I would hire him without looking back. Coach Fritz would probably leave for an offer of 4-5 times his current deal. Whereas most of us work (or worked) in an environment where a competing job offer might offer tens-of-thousands-of-dollars more, in the coaching arena, a bump of hundreds of thousands of dollars is possible. You can't ignore that.

My point being, none of us know all the facts and probably never will. Let's don't be too quick to condemn Hall.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I do think we are making many assumptions. I would assume he has spoken to coach and told him that ole miss did approach him with a big offer that if they formally offer he would accept. I would also assume coach has begun speaking to other OC’s.

I don’t respect hall if that is indeed the case, but I do understand it. To use the common trope “this is business”, and he needs to watch out for himself and his family. As I said earlier- no one would think twice if you were hired by a midsize tech company and google came to offer you 3x to come over the second week of work. Just don’t expect to go back to that midsize company.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is it possible that an OC at Ole Miss would really make multiple times as much money as at Tulane? I was under the impression that we were paying well into 6 figures for our coordinators, and close to, if not 6 figures for our other assistants. So if the OC is making $200k at Tulane is he going to make $600 or $800 at Ole Miss? I know a few of the football factories in the SEC pay $1 million to their coordinators, but that seems to have peaked and is now coming back. Just wondering where reality lies at this point.

In part I was able to answer my own question: The OC that just left Ole Miss was making $700k per year. So unless we're paying over $350k, it is a multiple of 2 or higher. I don't know what we pay our OC. There are a very select few coordinators, all at P5 schools, that make $1 million. None of Ole Miss's assistants cracked the $1 million mark, based on my 5 minutes of Internet searching.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 pm Is it possible that an OC at Ole Miss would really make multiple times as much money as at Tulane? I was under the impression that we were paying well into 6 figures for our coordinators, and close to, if not 6 figures for our other assistants. So if the OC is making $200k at Tulane is he going to make $600 or $800 at Ole Miss? I know a few of the football factories in the SEC pay $1 million to their coordinators, but that seems to have peaked and is now coming back. Just wondering where reality lies at this point.

In part I was able to answer my own question: The OC that just left Ole Miss was making $700k per year. So unless we're paying over $350k, it is a multiple of 2 or higher. I don't know what we pay our OC. There are a very select few coordinators, all at P5 schools, that make $1 million. None of Ole Miss's assistants cracked the $1 million mark, based on my 5 minutes of Internet searching.
February 2018

https://olemiss.rivals.com/news/updated ... assistants
Offensive coordinator Phil Longo and defensive coordinator Wesley McGriff are at the same salary numbers outlined in their original deals but each had a year added to their contracts. Longo has a two-year contract with $700,000 compensation in 2018, and McGriff is at three years and will make $1.1 million this year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

Looking at his past performance Mr Hall is not the type that Coach Fritz covets . Mr Hall is the epitome of a ONE AND DONE with no loyalty .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I was told he was in his Tulane office this morning
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

Is all this talk about coach Hall a reality. Has he taken the ole miss job? Or is this just the paranoia that’s with us because we expect the crapper to overflow because of our history? Remember, I’ve gone across the street and it’s a lot better than where I was.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Today in the press conference Coach Fritz was asked about where OC Hall was- Fritz responds OC Hall was upstairs working. Take that for whatever you want it to mean. Me personally- it’s not a done deal Hall is gone, but I assume if Ole Miss does infact offer he’ll be gone.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I really hope Fritz shows Will Hall the door. Hall’s behavior is flat out disrespectful and a slap in the face to Coach Fritz who just hired him. Even if Hall does not get the Ole Miss job I don’t want him here. Hall clearly does not want to be at Tulane and if he stays will be one and done anyway. It would suck to have Hall here for only one year after having implemented a new offensive system and then have to bring in a new OC after Hall leaves who will want to implement yet another offensive scheme.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:04 pm I really hope Fritz shows Will Hall the door. Hall’s behavior is flat out disrespectful and a slap in the face to Coach Fritz who just hired him. Even if Hall does not get the Ole Miss job I don’t want him here. Hall clearly does not want to be at Tulane and if he stays will be one and done anyway. It would suck to have Hall here for only one year after having implemented a new offensive system and then have to bring in a new OC after Hall leaves who will want to implement yet another offensive scheme.
What did he do?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Interviewing in Oxford for the Ole Miss job only a few weeks after accepting a new job at Tulane.
anEngineer
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:04 pm I really hope Fritz shows Will Hall the door. Hall’s behavior is flat out disrespectful and a slap in the face to Coach Fritz who just hired him. Even if Hall does not get the Ole Miss job I don’t want him here. Hall clearly does not want to be at Tulane and if he stays will be one and done anyway. It would suck to have Hall here for only one year after having implemented a new offensive system and then have to bring in a new OC after Hall leaves who will want to implement yet another offensive scheme.
Wait a minute. What if Coach Hall was up front with Fritz from the beginning and told him he was under consideration for the Ole Miss job. What if Fritz said he would like to have him here, but if it doesn't work out, he would like to have Coach Hall work with our staff in the meantime on how to implement a new offense and what we should be looking for with players and coaches. That is certainly of value given that no one on this staff has ever run that type of offense at this level.

We don't know what the relationship currently is and I don't think it's fair to assume the worst of Coach Hall. It's clear that Fritz is getting enough out of Hall to keep him around for now. If Fritz and staff are just learning from him, that's OK with me.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:23 pm
Wait a minute. What if Coach Hall was up front with Fritz from the beginning and told him he was under consideration for the Ole Miss job. What if Fritz said he would like to have him here, but if it doesn't work out, he would like to have Coach Hall work with our staff in the meantime on how to implement a new offense and what we should be looking for with players and coaches. That is certainly of value given that no one on this staff has ever run that type of offense at this level.

We don't know what the relationship currently is and I don't think it's fair to assume the worst of Coach Hall. It's clear that Fritz is getting enough out of Hall to keep him around for now. If Fritz and staff are just learning from him, that's OK with me.
+1, Engineer. Well said.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
gbgreenie
Surge

If that conversation was done between Hall and Fritz the smart thing would have been to wait til the Ole Miss saga played out. This move has negative implications during a signing period.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

+1 Agree.

As far as recruiting I’ll say we didn’t lose anyone we thought we would get . . . But we didn’t get anyone either. Especially when hall is supposed to have heavy connections in MS that’s a bummer. Would have been nice of instead of traveling to oxford and interviewing if he was out recruiting.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sources tell me Hall will accept the Ole Miss job. Apparently he had only agreed verbally to take the Tulane job. No contract was signed. Tough loss if it happens.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I wish we would have canned Will Hall as soon as we found out he was interviewing for the Ole Miss job. Hall has set us back almost a month now in finding a new offensive coordinator. A lot of offensive coordinators we might have been interested in have probably already changed jobs and signed contracts with new schools and will not cut and run to yet another school as Hall has done.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This now has to go under the ALMOST former Tulane players and coaches section, if one exist
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Man I wish we got to play ole miss in New Orleans in the next couple years
GreenLantern
Riptide

The previous OC for Ole Miss, Phil Longo, was making $700K. My WAG is that Hall's Tulane salary was $250K-$300K. Tripling your salary while increasing your upward mobility is a pretty compelling argument for change.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

“You could have done better but I don't mind,
You just kinda wasted my precious time,
But don't think twice, it's all right “
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Come on, he was announced as the new OC at Tulane and simply got a much better offer...and took it. I don’t fault the guy.
Ya seriously think Tulane brought in a “consultant” for 5-7 bowl practices.
“Hey leave your job and come to Tulane, if it doesn’t work out we will hire u.”
Garbage and unprecedented.
He got the perfect situation at the right time.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Speaking from solely a football standpoint Ole Miss is the arm pit of the SEC. Matt Luke, Ole Miss head coach, was previously an offensive line coach and had no coordinator experience before getting the top job. Luke reminds me of Chris Scelfo. Almost all the Ole Miss fans I know think Luke is a terrible head coach and want him fired. Mississippi State beat the living daylights out of Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl. Not a good situation to be walking into because if like many people predict Luke gets fired after next season Hall will likely be let go too.
capwave
High Tide

Damn this pisses me off.
Jaxwave
Swell

The situation sucks but there is no assurance Hall would Home run. Go find a guy in Div II or III with a great offense and bring him in like Tommy Bowden did with Rich Rodriguez.