Will Hall New OC

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Fingers crossed . . . Can’t we just have 1 hopeful and optimistic off season ! Not that this would be devasting but come on, the football gods need to cut us some slack.

Question- is an OC contract similar to a HC contract ? Is there a buy out clause or poison pill ? I know traditionally there is a declining penalty if a Hc leaves. If it’s year 1 are we going to pocket $1m ole miss would need to pony up. ? Just speaking theoretically

Sunamiwave
High Tide

That seems like a pretty low life thing to do for any coach, not just Will Hall, to sign a contract with a new school and within a matter of weeks interview for a job at yet another school. Of course I understand that coaches will leave for better opportunities but my goodness you just signed a contract, which I assume is for one year, and you just arrived at Tulane a few weeks ago. Hall has not even coached one game at Tulane as our official offensive coordinator calling the plays. I would imagine Hall cares about his reputation and would just not walk out on Coach Fritz and the rest of our coaching staff within a matter of weeks.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 pm I would imagine Hall cares about his reputation and would just not walk out on Coach Fritz and the rest of our coaching staff within a matter of weeks.
God Bless Everyone!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yeah, that’s like me being hired by Mid sized tech company and google offering me twice the amount of money to leave my first month with better benefits. You would leave in a heart beat. But that’s why contracts are in place.

I hope I am wrong
anEngineer
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 pm That seems like a pretty low life thing to do for any coach, not just Will Hall, to sign a contract with a new school and within a matter of weeks interview for a job at yet another school. Of course I understand that coaches will leave for better opportunities but my goodness you just signed a contract, which I assume is for one year, and you just arrived at Tulane a few weeks ago. Hall has not even coached one game at Tulane as our official offensive coordinator calling the plays. I would imagine Hall cares about his reputation and would just not walk out on Coach Fritz and the rest of our coaching staff within a matter of weeks.
In fairness, the story is not that he interviewed for the job. The story is that he can have it if he wants it. It's the time of year for that kind of stuff. We are all excited about coach Hall because of the things he has said; we don't really know if he IS good. If he goes, I am sure Coach Fritz has other ideas. The important thing is that WF is dedicated to improving the offensive philosophy. That's what will make the difference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 pm That seems like a pretty low life thing to do for any coach, not just Will Hall, to sign a contract with a new school and within a matter of weeks interview for a job at yet another school. Of course I understand that coaches will leave for better opportunities but my goodness you just signed a contract, which I assume is for one year, and you just arrived at Tulane a few weeks ago. Hall has not even coached one game at Tulane as our official offensive coordinator calling the plays. I would imagine Hall cares about his reputation and would just not walk out on Coach Fritz and the rest of our coaching staff within a matter of weeks.
Here's the thing. We don't know if he signed his contract. After the game Willie was asked if Hall was the reason we used tempo as much as we did. After giving him credit all week leading up to the game he said no he didn't. He then said he was just a consultant. Like I said above we'll know soon enough.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I realize he would make a higher salary at Ole Miss because of the SEC money but why not stay at Tulane a year or two and then get a job at a big time school like Florida, Auburn, or Georgia? Ole Miss football is the laughing stock of the SEC and their head coach will probably be fired after next season. If the head coach gets fired most of the assistant coaches are usually out of a job too. Ole Miss will never be able to compete with the big boys in the SEC unless they cheat again like they did under Hugh Freeze.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:13 pm I realize he would make a higher salary at Ole Miss because of the SEC money but why not stay at Tulane a year or two and then get a job at a big time school like Florida, Auburn, or Georgia? Ole Miss football is the laughing stock of the SEC and their head coach will probably be fired after next season. If the head coach gets fired most of the assistant coaches are usually out of a job too. Ole Miss will never be able to compete with the big boys in the SEC unless they cheat again like they did under Hugh Freeze.
They were 5-7 this year. This recruiting season is the first year that this coach, an Ole Miss alum, can recruit without having to answer questions about not being bowl eligible due to restrictions placed on the program because of previous regimes. I think, unless they have a 3 win season, that he gets at least two more years. AND Ole Miss was a pretty decent offensive team with a stud Frosh QB coming back (yes the Frosh was the backup.) Any OC that goes there and does well will have other P5 opportunities if the coach gets fired.

I would hate for Coach Hall to leave without coaching a game at Tulane, but this is probably why Coach Fritz hired him so quickly. This is a business. He has to make a business decision.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

if Hall goes to Oxford, I wish him all the best....lot's of OC's and wanna be OC's looking for a job, hell, Art Briles is available !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://www.djournal.com/sports/notes-an ... 0bc75.html
Along the lines of a less experienced FBS coach, I believe Will Hall has been contacted.

Hall has connection with Ole Miss through his father Bobby Hall, an Ole Miss graduate and long-time successful high school coach in Mississippi.

That’s what sets him a part from Phil Longo at this point. From a resume standpoint, he’s very similar as he has only two two seasons of FBS experience right now. He was the offensive coordinator at Louisiana-Lafayette in 2017 and was associate head coach and tight ends coach at Memphis in 2018. He was recently hired to be offensive coordinator at Tulane.

Hall has a great deal of experience at smaller levels of college football, including a combined 56-20 record as the head coach at West Alabama and West Georgia.

He has strong Northeast Mississippi ties having played for his dad at Amory. …
Ole Miss OC job probably pay double to triple of what Tulane can pay.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I have already stated that this is a business. That being said, there should be some value to putting your signature on a contract, if, in fact, he's signed his Tulane contract. Your word has to mean something in this world, otherwise your reputation is kaput.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 am I have already stated that this is a business. That being said, there should be some value to putting your signature on a contract, if, in fact, he's signed his Tulane contract. Your word has to mean something in this world, otherwise your reputation is kaput.
Not these days. Had it been HC here then he’d be locked in with at least a buyout. But as OC no buyout. Plus If he’s going to make double to triple his salary you can’t fault the guy. Life as a G5 program.
Should Ole Miss hire him at least Willie Fritz has plenty time to find another hire.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Multiple reports had Hall on Ole Mis’s campus yesterday and that he did interview. He may not be their first choice. That would be a pretty ackward way to start your tenure. Hired for a week, then you try to cut and run for another job that eventually goes to someone else.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Also I sincerely doubt he was on Tulane campus, taking part in team meetings, attending our bowl game and hadn’t signed a contract. Visiting for a day is one thing but having someone on campus repeatedly and contributing turns into a liability issue for the employer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Tulane process for approving new employees usually takes some time. which may account for WF referring to him as a consultant at this point.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:36 pm The Tulane process for approving new employees usually takes some time. which may account for WF referring to him as a consultant at this point.
Thanks for the response- good to know.
GreenLantern
Riptide

One very significant and unmentioned point is the effect a Hall flip-flop might have on recruiting. What if the Hall hire has been quietly discussed for a couple weeks and that has been used to attract one or more offensive recruits?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Mike Sands is the news anchor of the Fox affilliate in Jackson, MS.
https://twitter.com/Mike_Sands/status/1 ... 1673661445
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

http://www.djournal.com/sports/rumors-r ... a72fc.html

This updated article from a few hours ago speculates that hall slept over at the ole mis HC house last night. He said it’s unconfirmed but it’s still disconcerting.
Pepper
Swell

He's listed on the Tulane website as OC so I would guess he signed a contract. With that being said, no sour grapes but if I'm the boss and I just hired you a few weeks ago and you are supposedly spending the night on another campus, I'd cut ties immediately. I need a little more loyalty from my staff, especially if you had not coached a game for me. On to the next candidate. There are plenty of up and coming offensive minded coaches looking to put their stamp on an offense.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I agree with Pepper, It’s time to move on from Will Hall. Hall made either a verbal or signed one year commitment to Tulane and he is out within a matter of weeks interviewing for a new job. Coach Fritz can not let this stand and needs to show Hall the door. What exactly has Will Hall accomplished except for being an offensive coordinator at U LA LA where he was let go with Hudspeth and a position coach at Memphis? The lack of character Will Hall is showing by his actions is not the type of guy I want at Tulane. We can do better.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:44 pm I agree with Pepper, It’s time to move on from Will Hall. Hall made either a verbal or signed one year commitment to Tulane and he is out within a matter of weeks interviewing for a new job. Coach Fritz can not let this stand and needs to show Hall the door. What exactly has Will Hall accomplished except for being an offensive coordinator at U LA LA where he was let go with Hudspeth and a position coach at Memphis? The lack of character Will Hall is showing by his actions is not the type of guy I want at Tulane. We can do better.

Exactly, Tulane will survive quite nicely without a guy who pulls this
underhanded non-sense!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

If he does in fact go to Ole Miss, good for him. Can't fault the guy for wanting bigger and better. It's all part of the game, the business. If we want to compete with the big boys, then we have to COMPETE with the big boys. All good.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
anEngineer
Riptide

C'mon, we have no idea if Hall is a good OC or not. I am going to feel absolutely nothing if he decides to go elsewhere. The important thing is that Coach Fritz is looking for a much more dynamic offense. I trust that he has been around long enough to find someone else who is a good fit.
greenie78
Riptide

I agree with the above. If he’s already talking to Ole Miss and interviewing for the OC job, get rid of his ass. Don’t want him, don’t need him,